Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movies/marvel-phase-4-new-avengers-movie/87938

This poped up in my FB feed. I love that Dr Strange is coming, but dammit, we need at least ONE major female hero announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just cast Katee Sackhoff as Capt Marvel already, Marvel.

A New Avengers movie? Eh, a cinematic universe Illuminati would be fun but it would be missing some major player. Charles/Hank, Namor and Reed can't be used so why bother?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just cast Katee Sackhoff as Capt Marvel already, Marvel.

A New Avengers movie? Eh, a cinematic universe Illuminati would be fun but it would be missing some major player. Charles/Hank, Namor and Reed can't be used so why bother?

I think they were saying New Avengers as in it being a new team with the Phase 3 and 4 characters and maybe some current Avengers holdovers, but it's an idea to move forward without Iron Man/RDJ.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

twistedmentat posted:

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movies/marvel-phase-4-new-avengers-movie/87938

This poped up in my FB feed. I love that Dr Strange is coming, but dammit, we need at least ONE major female hero announcement.

WB/DC announced that a Wonder Woman solo film is part of Gal Gadot's contract.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
That article seems to be counting a lot of chickens before they're hatched, and I don't think they'll be really pushing forward on stuff post Avengers 3 until at least after 2 comes out. Hell, they only just announced commitment to Thor and Cap 3, why would they be announcing what's essentially Avengers 4 now?

Plus, Dr. Strange is just "in development", just like Black Panther and a whole pack of others, until something concrete is announced I wouldn't get too excited.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

but dammit, we need at least ONE major female hero announcement.

It's a major bummer that they haven't yet felt the need to address this, but on the upside they said "other new guys" in reference to Phase 3, so hopefully the implication is that there are still some announcements to make that aren't more Cap/Thor sequels

I'd think Marvel would want to preempt any future Wonder Woman film

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 4, 2014

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
So has Mary Jane been completely cut out of ASM 2 now? Cause I remember Woodley recently saying that she wont be available for 3.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You can argue that Captain Marvel isn't enough of a property on the level of Wonder Woman, I mean WW has her own MAC line, but I think Marvel would be able to do a a build up of the character that will make any film they do popular. I could actually see it going this way.

Carol is introduced in Avengers 2 as an Shield agent and all around bad rear end. During the movie, she is aparantly killed in some Thanos/Ultron related magic wand technology. At the end of the film, they find out she's still alive in the med bay. They see her float or accidently discharge energy or something thats "hey that's a MARVEL, Carol!" and everyone has a end of TOS episode laugh. You move onto another film where she's still learning her powers, but in trying to deal with it, she's seeing a psychologist, Karla Sofen, to help deal with the fact she's half human half alien who is almost as strong as thor, can fly and shoot energy. You setup moonstone as a villain, then she gets her own film, or maybe a "Avengers XX":downsrim: film with Black Widow, Scarlett Witch and another female hero like Mockingbird or Spiderwoman and they have their own adventure against Moonstone.

Avengers 2 should really have stuff in it to setup any future heroes. Even if its just minor stuff like a locker that says Morse or an subway ad that says "Caught speeding? Call Matt Murdoch, Attorney At Law!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AndyP posted:

So has Mary Jane been completely cut out of ASM 2 now? Cause I remember Woodley recently saying that she wont be available for 3.

Yes, they announced that they had completely cut her part out of the film quite a while ago. That's one thing that makes me worried that ASM2 is going to be like the first one where they have kind of a mess of dropped plot points.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
BJ Novak's role in ASM 2 has been revealed as Smythe (this movie is loving packed with villains):

http://collider.com/the-amazing-spider-man-2-villain/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

E the Shaggy posted:

(this movie is loving packed with villains):

That worked so well for Spider-Man 3.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

E the Shaggy posted:

BJ Novak's role in ASM 2 has been revealed as Smythe (this movie is loving packed with villains):

I hope it's 90's cartoon Smythe and not boring comics Smythe.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I bet he'll be the scientist at Oscorp that built things like the Ock arms and Vulture wings in the trailer. Maybe the Rhino suit and Goblin glider too

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

E the Shaggy posted:

Well he doesn't seem to have the right hair.

I can forgive the lack of shoulder things that shoot lasers, but if they don't give him bad 90's hair... :argh:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

The way Novak describes it, instead of them having "generic scientist with a random name", they're just naming in Smythe. I like actually having mostly comic based characters in movies and TV series. It tosses the hardcore fans a bone and leaves the door open to further development later.

That being said, I'm only familiar with Novak from The Office and from what I remember from that series is he enjoyed writing much more than acting. I don't know if he can pull off being a villain, but I'm not familiar with the rest of his work.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Well since they wrote out Irrfan Khan it'd make sense for somebody like Smythe to take over the role, especially given the increased focus on Oscorp.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

So the Mandarin "All Hail the King" Marvel one shot is out there. Here's what's revealed:

The documentarian is actually a Ten Rings member. There's a "real" Mandarin in charge of the Ten Rings who is neither Trevor or Aldrich Killian and Trevor gets broken out of prison by them because the Mandarin wants to take his name back.

There's also a Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer cameo

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

If that is true it is straight up the dumbest thing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, that's amazingly dumb. Last time I have faith in Marvel Studios.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

More Hammer is always a good thing. The rest sounds really loving dumb.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

If that is true it is straight up the dumbest thing.

I watched it, that's what happens.

The Justin Hammer part is him complaining about the Mandarin's undeserved fame to his prison bitch

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least change some names if you're going to do that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, that's amazingly dumb. Last time I have faith in Marvel Studios.
Because of a one-shot that will probably not be followed up on?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's the big deal? Seems like massive over reaction to some fluff DVD extra.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

It's just dumb that the fabricated character created by Killian turns out to be the actual secret codename of the leader of the Ten Rings.

And also making the Mandarin fake was funny, and interesting.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

greatn posted:

I know it's fluff stuff but it takes away from the impact of Killian being The Mandarin with his crazy powers and dragon tattoo if "the real Mandarin" is still out there no doubt being all yellow peril and such.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because of a one-shot that will probably not be followed up on?

Retroactively making GBS threads all over the most interesting factor of one of their best films, which at the time seemed to be an interesting development in allowing them to diversify and relax their absolute death-grip of artistic control on their movies by stepping away from their relentless need to pander to a contingent of their fans that will see everything they produce anyway, and moving straight back into that territory causes me to lose faith in their ability to continue to make interesting choices in the future, yes.

It completely misses the point of one of their own films and is a huge affront to what the film was, and was trying to say. It's a really lovely decision, no matter how you slice it.

It's exactly representative of all of Marvel's Studios worst decisions and after a string of successes that moved them away from those failures creatively, it's a really stupid step backwards.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Haha no it doesn't. He was still a propaganda tool, nothing about that has changed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

greatn posted:

Haha no it doesn't. He was still a propaganda tool, nothing about that has changed.

You fundamentally don't understand the issue, or what Iron Man 3 was saying with it's treatment of that character (The Mandarin).

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 4, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

greatn posted:

Killian was just a propaganda tool?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Does the short specifically state the 10 Rings leader is also called The Mandarin? I could see them stating that the 10 Rings from the first film was a real terrorist group separate from the narrative created by Killian, and that they would be pissed at having their name co-opted by AIM. But as others have said, making their real leader's name just so happen to be Mandarin as well is ridiculous, and pandering to the wrong kinds of fans. Especially considering we probably won't see another Iron Man movie anytime soon.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

glitchwraith posted:

Does the short specifically state the 10 Rings leader is also called The Mandarin? I could see them stating that the 10 Rings from the first film was a real terrorist group separate from the narrative created by Killian, and that they would be pissed at having their name co-opted by AIM. But as others have said, making their real leader's name just so happen to be Mandarin as well is ridiculous, and pandering to the wrong kinds of fans. Especially considering we probably won't see another Iron Man movie anytime soon.

They say something like "you stole his name, and he wants it back" and mention that the name has a historical association with war lords, etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dacap posted:

They say something like "you stole his name, and he wants it back" and mention that the name has a historical association with war lords, etc.

They actually meant 'Trevor'

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So say Killian took the name from a real guy he heard of, then gave it to his actor for theatrics. Treat Mandarin as title of the leader of Ten Rings or something, not any specific person.

I don't care about this change and I'm skeptical they go further with it (i.e. there's a real Mandarin with a Fu Man Chu mustache), but it annoys me because it means that this thread will fill up with arguments about "yellow peril" or whatever for an umpteenth time. Everyone is already assuming 'great, this new guy is SURELY going to be the Asian caricature we all fretted about before Iron Man 3' even though I think IM3 shows that Marvel is smart enough to not go there.

Seems like a silly thing to get all Chicken Little about like greatn said, vs. "losing faith in Marvel forever" or whatever. It just suggests that Ten Rings is something beyond a fake front for AIM and the group from IM1+IM2 are still around with someone in charge.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Agreed, people need to calm down. Plus odds are this will never come up again, since we're done with that villain in the films anyway.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Electromax posted:

Everyone is already assuming 'great, this new guy is SURELY going to be the Asian caricature we all fretted about before Iron Man 3'

One person. That's sort of 'everyone', I guess.

Electromax posted:

Seems like a silly thing to get all Chicken Little about like greatn said, vs. "losing faith in Marvel forever" or whatever. It just suggests that Ten Rings is something beyond a fake front for AIM and the group from IM1+IM2 are still around with someone in charge.

I'm not sure why people are taking that statement as an absurd slight. If a company consistently making editorial decisions that undermine the quality of their products and a complete lakck of understanding of their strengths isn't enough to justify me saying that I've lost faith in their ability to editorialize competently, then gently caress it, let's all just bring in the new year by cheering our mutual understanding that Marvel Studios can do no wrong.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

One person. That's sort of 'everyone', I guess.

I'm not sure why people are taking that statement as an absurd slight. If a company consistently making editorial decisions that undermine the quality of their products and a complete lakck of understanding of their strengths isn't enough to justify me saying that I've lost faith in their ability to editorialize competently, then gently caress it, let's all just bring in the new year by cheering our mutual understanding that Marvel Studios can do no wrong.

I don't read your statements as absurd rambling, I just think you are over-estimating what they're going to do with this. I don't love all the marvel movies and IM2 certainly shows they can do wrong, but let's not get all worked up until something shittier than a little winky one-shot comes out of this.

And yeah, only one person, I just remember the fear of stereotyping Asians was more widespread before IM3.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I don't think they're going to 'do' anything with it. We already know there's not going to be another Iron Man stand-alone film and exactly why they did this. The reason why, and how, they did this are just more evidence that they're not very good at exercising editorial authority, it doesn't really do much to remedy any of the issues I have with it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They probably are going to use it in the agents of shield show since the lack of another Iron Man means the Ten Rings can fill the evil spies role and have a bit of name recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Electromax posted:

I don't care about this change and I'm skeptical they go further with it (i.e. there's a real Mandarin with a Fu Man Chu mustache), but it annoys me because it means that this thread will fill up with arguments about "yellow peril" or whatever for an umpteenth time. Everyone is already assuming 'great, this new guy is SURELY going to be the Asian caricature we all fretted about before Iron Man 3' even though I think IM3 shows that Marvel is smart enough to not go there.

Just wait; any day now they'll announce that Ben Affleck will also be playing the Mandarin.

• Locked thread