Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Max Overthruster posted:

What is the payscale like for a WWE wrestler? For an appearance on Monday Night Raw how much would some random jobber get paid vs. a midcard staple like R-Truth vs. a Cena or an Orton?

During Orton's divorce, didn't it come out that he made $600,000 a month? So 7.2 million a year? Cena is probably north of 10 million since he is 20% of the WWE brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Gar posted:

During Orton's divorce, didn't it come out that he made $600,000 a month? So 7.2 million a year? Cena is probably north of 10 million since he is 20% of the WWE brand.

Strictly talking about salary, they make much less than that I think. I'd imagine someone like Cena gets something like $2-3 million a year and then gets additional cuts based on merchandise sales, TV appearances, etc.

Here's a story that says he made 290k/month:

http://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/tmz-reports-randy-orton-is-divorced-makes-291666-per-month/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The $290k is probably his downside. I'm imagine he makes a good bit more with merch sales added in.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Delsaber posted:

Have Daniel Bryan and Tajiri ever faced each other? It seems like a perfect match, and yet somehow, I've never heard of it happening.

Not that I know of, but there's a Tajiri/RVD match that's only a few minutes long, and while it doesn't hit full steam, it is really neat. Imagine what they could do with 20 minutes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

The Ultimate Solution (Jeep Swenson) in a three tiered cage match which was located next to the entrance way. Hogan also wanted Pillman in it because Pillman was a hot commodity but Pillman had just done the bookerman shoot angle so he got a surgery he sort of needed to avoid doing a job for Hogan.

Let's throw it to Stagger Lee Marshall to explain the rules.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/EGgMJvT.png[timg]

Thanks Lee.

I am impressed by the name Jeep Swenson. If you go over that, it's gotta mean something. Pillman on the other hand, didn't he get out of a contract by fooling the powers that be at WCW? Smart dude.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Gatts posted:

I am impressed by the name Jeep Swenson. If you go over that, it's gotta mean something. Pillman on the other hand, didn't he get out of a contract by fooling the powers that be at WCW? Smart dude.
Swenson was also Bane in Batman and Robin.

Pillman convinced Bischoff to release him so he'd go to ECW for a bit to sell the Loose Cannon gimmick for a while before returning. He chose to go the WWF instead.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gatts posted:

I am impressed by the name Jeep Swenson. If you go over that, it's gotta mean something.

His original name in WCW was The Final Solution. Then they realized how bad that was, and changed it to The Ultimate Solution, which is still a dumb name for a pro wrestler.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Red posted:

His original name in WCW was The Final Solution. Then they realized how bad that was, and changed it to The Ultimate Solution, which is still a dumb name for a pro wrestler.

Chris, just let him keep the name Jeep Swenson. Your entrance music can be a "BEEP BEEP! I'mma Jeep!" and then he comes out and cuts a promo about how he's going to get over whatever hurdle is in his path and smash his opponent. Then his opponent can cut a promo about he's just made of cheap material and is nothing of substance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That man was born with the best bad wrestler name ever.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gatts posted:

Chris, just let him keep the name Jeep Swenson. Your entrance music can be a "BEEP BEEP! I'mma Jeep!" and then he comes out and cuts a promo about how he's going to get over whatever hurdle is in his path and smash his opponent. Then his opponent can cut a promo about he's just made of cheap material and is nothing of substance.

He could fight Roadblock

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Red posted:

Our local Hawaii indy has a huge Tongan guy named The Final Solution. Nobody seems to know how awful that is. Here he is in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mFgRuXSGD4

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
This has likely been asked at some point, but have there been guys who have drifted into "comedy jobber" territory only to come out the other end and have a decent run near or challenging for a world title? I ask because seeing Wade Barrett recently has made me wonder if there was any chance he'd be salvaged. When he first came up, he looked primed for it but they've messed his pushes up so horribly. It seemed every time they brought him back might be the time, but then it ended up being a big wet fart.

Note: I don't really count Daniel Bryan re: his time with Kane. They were funny, but they were also competitive.

As an added clarification, I don't count guys who changed aliases like Oz to Diesel type thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For a certain definition of "action." I, too, am concerned about the racial connotations of a black Giant Haystacks dressed like a Trapper Keeper.

(I'll forgive the shirt if he's an All Blacks fan. On second thought, no, I won't.)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

This has likely been asked at some point, but have there been guys who have drifted into "comedy jobber" territory only to come out the other end and have a decent run near or challenging for a world title? I ask because seeing Wade Barrett recently has made me wonder if there was any chance he'd be salvaged. When he first came up, he looked primed for it but they've messed his pushes up so horribly. It seemed every time they brought him back might be the time, but then it ended up being a big wet fart.

Note: I don't really count Daniel Bryan re: his time with Kane. They were funny, but they were also competitive.

As an added clarification, I don't count guys who changed aliases like Oz to Diesel type thing.

That's a tough one.

- Mark "Sexual Chocolate" Henry became Mark "BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I DO!" Henry
- Bob "Nascar Enthusiast" Holly became "Hardcore" Bob Holly, and jobbed to Brock Lesnar at a Royal Rumble title match.

On the flip side, Vladimir Kozlov went from destroyer of worlds to buddy of Santino. Same for Great Khali.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Ratedargh posted:

I think Barrett is entirely salvagable. His gimmick involves saying bad lines but he himself is not actively being jobbed every night. This can change depending on where the Lawler thing goes. If he gets owned by Lawler then we're in 'hosed for a while' territory. Until then, he's not technically a comedy jobber.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Don't forget that WWE flubbed the hottest angle in wrestling by literally having John Cena bury Wade Barrett under a pile of chairs

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Professor Funk posted:

Don't forget that WWE flubbed the hottest angle in wrestling by literally having John Cena bury Wade Barrett under a pile of chairs

That's not how they flubbed that angle. That angle was flubbed when the Nexus was run off by the roster in week two, or when they chose mostly lovely developmental workers to do their big summer angle.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

MassRafTer posted:

That's not how they flubbed that angle. That angle was flubbed when the Nexus was run off by the roster in week two, or when they chose mostly lovely developmental workers to do their big summer angle.

Yeah, the chair thing was just the shruggiest piece of punctuation to finally put that angle out of its misery.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Don;t forget Cena joining the Nexus in name only. That didn't help.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

They flubbed that angle but putting The Nexus into a feud with Cena and making it 100% clear that they had no shot of going over him in any sort of meaningful manner. Barrett being buried under a pile of steel chairs is pretty emblematic of that.

I think you're misremembering how hot of an angle The Nexus was for the first month or two. People around here were losing their poo poo over it. It had a lot of potential.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The Nexus angle was hosed 37 different ways. The SummerSlam loss, Bugs Bunny Cena taking out the Nexus, and the lack of "ready" guys.

Was it in the plans for DBD to be a big fixture in the group? His ringwork would've carried the stable.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ratedargh posted:

I'm interested in the other aspects of comedy jobbers. Who has had the longest comedy-based career? Most lucrative? Who's come out least destroyed physically? And I'm not counting outside endeavours for lucrative, like Santino's MMA gym.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm interested in the other aspects of comedy jobbers. Who has had the longest comedy-based career? Most lucrative? Who's come out least destroyed physically? And I'm not counting outside endeavours for lucrative, like Santino's MMA gym.

I can't say with authority but anecdotally I'd put Goldust on the list--at least due to longevity and overall success. He may not always be pure 'comedy' but his promos have always been weird/silly/goofy as gently caress and he also has the most outrageous costume. He's been Goldust forever too, so there's that. You could argue his 'jobber' status but all things considered, he's never really been more than a mid-card wrestler.

There's also Doink the Clown(s). Seeing as how long that really was a thing still amazes me but then again considering the zeitgeist of the era Doink still 'works'.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Eugene has to be up there. They teased turning him heel once but never went through with it. But arguably that extended his career because as Nick Dinsmore he had a harder style.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Although strictly not a jobber Mick Foley has been one of the most successful comedy characters

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Stalker Ichikawa is worth a mention.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I loved Jericho during his breakout superstar era. I thought he was comedy gold as a smart-rear end and he was successful to boot. If that counts as a lucrative comedy person then that's who I nominate, but he (was) is definitely not a jobber.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MisterGBH posted:

Eugene has to be up there. They teased turning him heel once but never went through with it. But arguably that extended his career because as Nick Dinsmore he had a harder style.

Nick Dinsmore, the Triple H of OVW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Professor Funk posted:

They flubbed that angle but putting The Nexus into a feud with Cena and making it 100% clear that they had no shot of going over him in any sort of meaningful manner. Barrett being buried under a pile of steel chairs is pretty emblematic of that.

I think you're misremembering how hot of an angle The Nexus was for the first month or two. People around here were losing their poo poo over it. It had a lot of potential.

It was really popular on here, but it didn't translate anywhere. Ratings tapered off quickly, it never helped PPVs, it was something new and crazy when it happened that they just bungled long before Cena got a chance to be DDTed on the floor.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

dialhforhero posted:

I loved Jericho during his breakout superstar era. I thought he was comedy gold as a smart-rear end and he was successful to boot. If that counts as a lucrative comedy person then that's who I nominate, but he (was) is definitely not a jobber.

Jericho in WCW was full of comedy gold too. Hell, just the "Conspiracy Victim" angle was hilarious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Definitely not a long run or anything, but Hurricane spent 99% of his life being a comedy jobber and then 1% of his life putting up a decent fight against The Rock.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

Definitely not a long run or anything, but Hurricane spent 99% of his life being a comedy jobber and then 1% of his life putting up a decent fight against The Rock.

I love how The Rock always sold that Hurricane was really flying away after their verbal battles.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

VogeGandire posted:

Jericho in WCW was full of comedy gold too. Hell, just the "Conspiracy Victim" angle was hilarious.

Or the list of his 1,004 moves, half of which are armbars. Followed by the list of wrestlers he's defeated such as Kevin Nash, Diesel, Oz, Scott Hall, Razor Ramon...

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 4, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rock: I know who could whup that rear end. Superman. Batman. Aquaman, and he talks to fish!

Hurricane: I know who the Hurricane can whup. The Scorpion King!

Rock: Oh no you didn't!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's too bad Jericho had to spend most of the money he made in 1998 buying David Penzer new tuxes.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Wouldn't Honky Tonk Man count as having the longest comedy career? Or was he actually considered a serious character for some period of time?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

bradzilla posted:

Wouldn't Honky Tonk Man count as having the longest comedy career? Or was he actually considered a serious character for some period of time?

Nah, even his IC title run, he was still a comedy character.

A drat good one too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thinking about it, most successful comedy character is John Cena.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bradzilla posted:

Believe it or not prior to his run as the Honky Tonk Man he was involved in a hugely influential bloody hardcore brawl that helped lay the groundwork for garbage wrestling in the US and Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MassRafTer posted:

Believe it or not prior to his run as the Honky Tonk Man he was involved in a hugely influential bloody hardcore brawl that helped lay the groundwork for garbage wrestling in the US and Japan.

Really? With who?