Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Am I right in assuming that starting a new game resets all your friends' safaris to 2 Pokemon and no Hidden Abilities? I'm planning on starting a new game now Bank is out, and need to know if I have to stock up on Hidden Ability Pokemon from the safaris of people I don't know in real life first.

Starting a new game deletes all game data, so yes it will do what you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Okay, so I'm looking to fight the League for the second time in Platinum, but I have more than six pokemon I could use and need to decide which ones to focus on leveling up. I'm not looking for perfect builds, just a recommendation on a good team to take in out of what I have.

Blaziken (Modest, Blaze)
-Blaze Kick
-Heat Wave
-Vacuum Wave
-Sky Uppercut

Kadabra (Lax, Inner Focus)
-Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Psybeam
-Recover

Empoleon (Brave, Torrent)
-Aqua Jet
-Hydro Cannon
-BubbleBeam
-Metal Claw

Magnezone (Gentle, Magnet Pull)
-Magnet Bomb
-Discharge
-Spark
-Zap Cannon

Garchomp (Naughty, Sand Veil)
-Crunch
-Dragon Rush
-Dragon Claw
-Dig

Pelipper (Lax, Keen Eye)
-Ice Beam
-Wing Attack
-Fly
-Surf

Staraptor (Careful, Intimidate)
-Aerial Ace
-Brave Bird
-Fly
-Close Combat

Rapidash (Serious, Flash Fire)
-Flame Wheel
-Fire Blast
-Stomp
-Flare Blitz

Giratina (Rash, Levitate)
-Ominous Wind
-Earth Power
-Dragon Claw
-Shadow Force

Machoke (Naive, No Guard)
-Seismic Toss
-Rock Smash
-DynamicPunch
-Karate Chop

Gyarados (Impish, Intimidate)
-Dragon Dance
-Hydro Pump

Sandslash (Relaxed, Sand Veil)
-Dig
-Slash
-Fury Swipes

Shiftry (Sassy, Early Bird)
-Fake Out
-Faint Attack
-Razor Wind

Mightyena (Modest, Intimidate)
-Take Down
-Crunch
-Bite

Some of them are transfers, hence the missing moves. Last time I managed it with Garchomp, Machoke, Rapidash, Giratina, Magnezone and Empoleon. I'll take move suggestions too, as long as they're not too complicated to get. Really, it's just that I'm crippled with indecision.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I still have the Pokemon Colosseum pre-order disc that gives you a Jirachi :smuggo:

I do as well, sadly I lost my Sapphire game ages ago so I can't farm any. But I still have one on my black cart ready to transfer to bank when it comes out in America in ten years.

Speaking of Jirachi they should fix their hack detection on bank so that shiny Jirachi can be transferred over because it is possible to get a shiny one from that bonus disc or EU Pokechannel's one. Kind of funny how perfectly legit pokemon like that get blocked but illegal unreleased hidden abilities pass through fine. Or at least do a giveaway of those as an apology.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There were Mew and Jirachi events during Hg/Ss, just simple downloads (Jirachi did unlock a Pokewalker area) and Manaphy and Deoxys were most recent in Ranger 3, Deoxys is unlimited, but you need two players to complete the mission. (Ignoring other, mostly Japan, download events)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I missed every single generation five distribution and many of four's because I was living somewhere with WPA wireless and it wasn't my router so I couldn't just switch to WEP. I didn't upgrade from my DS Lite to my 3DS XL until black Friday because I was able to get it for $150. I wonder if Nintendo's attitude about with online services is just a Japanese cultural thing, because as I understand it computers are really expensive in Japan and so are Internet connections at home, so wireless is king.

In the mean time, I have finally assembled my Drizzle Swift Swim team. Feel free to laugh me out of the room:

Politoed - Toadman
@ Choice Scarf
Modest nature
Ability: Drizzle
4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

Kabutops - Zerg Rush
@ Life Orb
Adamant nature
Ability: Swift Swim
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Kingdra - Thuban
@ Life Orb
Mild nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Fire
- Waterfall

Seismitoad - Gargarfummi
@ Damp Rock
Mild nature
4 Attack/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake

Zapdos
@ Damp Rock
Timid nature
Ability: Pressure
- Rain Dance
- Roost
- Thunder
- U-turn

Scizor - Wesley Snips
@ Scizorite
Adamant nature
Ability: Technician
200 HP/56 Attack/252 Special Defense
- Rain Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

I'm actually rather new to team building and rarely play competitively. Since this team is my in-game team, I made it for the monthly Street Pass events I go to and I want to participate in some of the Pokemon fights. I've tried covering as many weaknesses as I can and opted for Seismitoad over Ludicolo because it can absorb electric attacks and fight back with Earthquake. I gave Kingdra Hidden Power Fire so I could have an out against Ferrothorn, because I'm taking an educated guess that is something that would be problematic for a team like this, though I'd have to wait for the rain to subside.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I have a bunch of the FRLG in-game event Mews (Action Replay) and a Jirachi from the Colosseum disk (that I later hacked to be Impish, 5x31 :shepface:) on my Diamond cart... Shame pokebank doesn't work on it :negative:

Rokkinhobo
Nov 4, 2005

Sweet mother of adventure!

MapleCarnage posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-84595785

I'm super proud of myself, my team and Weezing, who has been my pokebro for 15 years now.

Lickilicky @ Assault Vest
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Hammer Arm
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Haze

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Rock Slide

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Taunt

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Toxic

This is the best showdown battle I've ever seen! It went from "GG" to "Can I please see your team?"

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Re: Pokebank chat, it is just out in Europe, not U.S. right?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I still have the Pokemon Colosseum pre-order disc that gives you a Jirachi :smuggo:

Me too, seriously considering breaking out my gba and gamecube link cable and farming a bunch for trade stuffz

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 4, 2014

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

planetarial posted:

I do as well, sadly I lost my Sapphire game ages ago so I can't farm any. But I still have one on my black cart ready to transfer to bank when it comes out in America in ten years.

Speaking of Jirachi they should fix their hack detection on bank so that shiny Jirachi can be transferred over because it is possible to get a shiny one from that bonus disc or EU Pokechannel's one. Kind of funny how perfectly legit pokemon like that get blocked but illegal unreleased hidden abilities pass through fine. Or at least do a giveaway of those as an apology.

I have multiple spare Ruby and Sapphire cartridges if you want one/if it would help to farm jirachi's to give to people here. I'll mail you one if you'll spread Jirachis around

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Rokkinhobo posted:

This is the best showdown battle I've ever seen! It went from "GG" to "Can I please see your team?"
Dude knew the jig was up when he realised all he had left was stuff that would die from hazard damage on switching in.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

Re: Pokebank chat, it is just out in Europe, not U.S. right?

Just Europe/Australia. The Pokemon Twitter says it will be out in North America "soon". So, like, March.

I have the Wishmaker Jirachi AND the Gen 3 Toys R Us Mew :colbert:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HeyItsAyls posted:

Interesting note on region locking, even though I can't play my Japanese copy of White on my 3DS, Bank still recognises it and will let me transfer Mons from it.

Yeah that's probably going to be fixed in a patch for some loving reason.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Full pokedex - Oval charm and Shiny charm attained. Took for loving ever to transfer, glad I dont have to do that again.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

Full pokedex - Oval charm and Shiny charm attained. Took for loving ever to transfer, glad I dont have to do that again.

...until next gen

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Do you have Pokegen? Do you have Bank? Do you want to make a few dollars? PM me

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone transfer over a million perfect IV Dittos and spread the love.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

MrFlibble posted:

Until next generation :unsmigghh:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Star Man posted:

I've got 3 waiting.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Star Man posted:

Already on it. They're all going to be Japanese Dittos.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I don't know the specifics of making super dittos, but Russian or German would probably be a lot more useful to most people who care about shinies here.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

MrFlibble posted:

Something thats not immediately apparent, in Pokemon Bank you can switch between individual pokemon and groups by pushing the start button.

I know most of you probably figured that out, but it took me a box before I did.

I only just figured this out and came to post it. Man this is still taking a while...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kuhmondo posted:

Already on it. They're all going to be Japanese Dittos.

You would be a true pokegoon saint if this is true. :pray:

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

You would be a true pokegoon saint if this is true. :pray:

The only issue is that i'm not going to bother making HP specific Dittos because it's too much effort. They're just going to be standard 6IVs with silly names if I come up with any. I can make HP specific ones on special request if people really want it that bad though. We'll just have to wait and see if everything works out when bank comes out for NA.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
^^^I would adore one of these Ditto.

Million Ghosts posted:

This is a super goddamn newbie question but I've recently gotten back in to this game, and I've been fighting my girlfriend at Doubles. The main thing I have issue with is her MegaGardevior/Garchomp opening pair. Between them the coverage and lack of decent weaknesses gives me no idea what to do. I've got a Weavile but she's not all that effective and my Azumaril gets demolished by Electric attacks from M-Gardy. Any ideas?
Megadactyl might be useful here. Wide guard is super useful in doubles, Sky Drop effectively gives you a turn fighting only one, Iron Head, Ice Fang, etc...

MustelaFuro fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 5, 2014

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
I'm looking forward to the huge flood of 6IV dittos that are about to flood the game. I've never played another pokemon game until X, is there a list of good games to potentially pick up to take advantage of PokeBank? I am totally new to this poh-kee-manz thing.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

So now that bank is out I started a wonderlocke.

My first pokemon? Feebas. :negative:

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Friction.123 posted:

I'm looking forward to the huge flood of 6IV dittos that are about to flood the game. I've never played another pokemon game until X, is there a list of good games to potentially pick up to take advantage of PokeBank? I am totally new to this poh-kee-manz thing.

You can pick up the black/white series since they directly transfer to the bank. Every gen before that has to go through another form of transfer method into the gen after it; it can get messy. If you want a specific 'mon without going through the effort to transfer it or a past event one, best bet is to ask someone with a flash cart and just generate it for you (this is what i'm doing with the Dittos among other stuff I personally want but never could get).

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Friction.123 posted:

The only other pokeymon games you can find in stores and stuff are the black/white ones, everything else is like 5 years old and really hard to track down. Have fun getting Rayquaza.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MinistryofLard posted:

So now that bank is out I started a wonderlocke.

My first pokemon? Feebas. :negative:

Except Feebas is awesome and becomes a hella killa tank?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
He probably can't evolve it since he doesn't have a marvel scale.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

chaos rhames posted:

He probably can't evolve it since he doesn't have a marvel scale.

Prism Scale, but yeah, that item isn't found until very late in the game.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

alcharagia posted:

Except Feebas is awesome and becomes a hella killa tank?

Only if you evolve it, which I have to do by trade and won't be able to do until like the end of the game.

My next two pokemon were over-levelled as gently caress, so I guess its balances out.

VV Oh yeah I'm keeping him and he's going to be my best friend and I'm gonna pet him and feed him all the pokepuffs he can eat :3:

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 5, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Obviously this Feebas must become your true companion 4 lyfe. If it dies before it becomes a Milotic you have failed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I can't wait until my army of 6IV French dittos flood the Wonder market. Hon, hon hon, ma cheri, come to le daycare and take zis champagne.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Friction.123 posted:

Not worth it unless there's a specific Pokemon you want that isn't easily available in X/Y and can't be easily gotten through trading for some reason, or unless you want something with a move tutor move only available in previous generations. Also, an old Pokemon game still costs almost as much as a new one, they don't go through price drops ever.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah, if you're new or rejoining Pokemon after a zillion year absence, going back to the old games and if its worth it really depends on why you enjoy Pokemon.

If you're just looking for more Pokemon, nearly everything can be caught in X/Y and once Bank is released everywhere, it can be traded for as well.

If you genuinely enjoy the main story elements and all that jazz or think some of the bonus features the games have look cool, then they'd be worth playing as well.

If you're into competitive stuff, some of the older games may have stuff that make it easier (BW2 has Move Tutor's and N's Pokemon, for example).

But if you're just content to trade stuff in the current games, then just do that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Bogart posted:

I can't wait until my army of 6IV French dittos flood the Wonder market. Hon, hon hon, ma cheri, come to le daycare and take zis champagne.

I think it's pretty antisocial to pollute Wonder Trade with illegitimate mons. Unfortunately, there are probably a whole load of people who think that it's a good idea to wondertrade loads of illegitimate stuff they got through bank, so I guess I probably won't wonder trade any more.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I legit don't get why you'd care if a traded mon is legitimate or not given in both cases you're putting 0 effort into getting them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hammerite posted:

I think it's pretty antisocial to pollute Wonder Trade with illegitimate mons. Unfortunately, there are probably a whole load of people who think that it's a good idea to wondertrade loads of illegitimate stuff they got through bank, so I guess I probably won't wonder trade any more.

It can't be worse than GAY THOUGHTS and DIKPIX, the Slurpuffs I got off Wonder Trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Internet Kraken posted:

I legit don't get why you'd care if a traded mon is legitimate or not given in both cases you're putting 0 effort into getting them.

You're putting effort into what you traded for it.

Besides, in the event that the illegitimate mon fills in pokedex data that wasn't previously filled-in, that's an accomplishment erroneously registered by the game. For example, in the case of the posited French Ditto, if I go on Wonder Trade and receive a French Ditto which I consider to be illegitimate, I get a French Pokedex entry for Ditto which as far as I'm concerned ought not be be there. I can release the offending pokemon, but there isn't any way to delete that data from the pokedex. Given that I like to try to fill in the pokedex by legitimate means, this reduces my enjoyment of the game.

• Locked thread