Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I got one since my girlfriend has the uncanny ability to break anything with a touchscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe the height of tempting: Dell Outlet is offering the Venue 8 pro for $185.00. Must. Resist.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Dave posted:

Maybe the height of tempting: Dell Outlet is offering the Venue 8 pro for $185.00. Must. Resist.

God drat it, Dell. I'm a poor college student. Tempt not my wallet so.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I don't know if this is a Windows 8 problem or a problem specific to the Venue 8 Pro but most of my metro Windows Store apps are crashing whenever I run them even though the live tiles appear to still be functioning. When I select the tile to run them, the splash screen shows up for a few seconds before dropping me back to the start screen.

The few apps that do work aren't fully functional. Internet Explorer for instance no longer stores log in information beyond after leaving websites that request them and flash has stopped functioning. What's bizarre is that the desktop version of Internet Explorer is still functioning like normal with the functions I previously mentioned working properly. The few desktop programs I have installed seem to work as normal. And this seems to be specific to my Venue 8 Pro. My desktop running Windows 8 is running fine and all the store apps are working properly.

I've already performed a refresh recovery but it still didn't fix the problem. I want to perform a full clean recovery but it seems that it'll break the bitlocker encryption which I would like to keep. How do I perform a factory reset while keeping bitlocker? Is there anything that I missed that could fix this? Or should I just RMA it?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Edward IV posted:

So I don't know if this is a Windows 8 problem or a problem specific to the Venue 8 Pro but most of my metro Windows Store apps are crashing whenever I run them even though the live tiles appear to still be functioning. When I select the tile to run them, the splash screen shows up for a few seconds before dropping me back to the start screen.

The few apps that do work aren't fully functional. Internet Explorer for instance no longer stores log in information beyond after leaving websites that request them and flash has stopped functioning. What's bizarre is that the desktop version of Internet Explorer is still functioning like normal with the functions I previously mentioned working properly. The few desktop programs I have installed seem to work as normal. And this seems to be specific to my Venue 8 Pro. My desktop running Windows 8 is running fine and all the store apps are working properly.

I've already performed a refresh recovery but it still didn't fix the problem. I want to perform a full clean recovery but it seems that it'll break the bitlocker encryption which I would like to keep. How do I perform a factory reset while keeping bitlocker? Is there anything that I missed that could fix this? Or should I just RMA it?

My aunt had a T100 with the same problem. I was only in town for a few days and couldn't solve the problem. She got fed up and returned it and hasn't tried another tablet since.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
I'm looking for accessories for my Dell Venue 8 Pro, so figured I'd ask before making a retarded purchase and regretting everything. What good options are there for cases, Bluetooth mice and keyboards?

And from what I understand, the Dell active stylus is currently unavailable as they un-gently caress it up. Would there happen to be an alternative that works with the tablet at the moment?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

There is no alternative for the Dell Stylus, because it's pretty much proprietary tech. Otherwise, it's awful universal ones.

I got my Surface from ebay today. Motherfucker put an HP charger in the box, not a surface one. Not a single place in town carries the chargers either, and they're expensive as poo poo. :(

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

There is no alternative for the Dell Stylus, because it's pretty much proprietary tech. Otherwise, it's awful universal ones.

I got my Surface from ebay today. Motherfucker put an HP charger in the box, not a surface one. Not a single place in town carries the chargers either, and they're expensive as poo poo. :(

I got a charger for my surface for $30 at a Microsoft store.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Nerdrock posted:

If it helps, the Surface RT/Pro chargers are interchangeable. They just charge at different speeds.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

wookieepelt posted:

I got a charger for my surface for $30 at a Microsoft store.

Sadly for me, the closest Microsoft Store is in Buffalo, about an hour and 45 minutes away.

Edit : I overnighted one from amazon, and the ebay seller just got back to me apologizing, and saying they'll send it to me. So : I'll wind up with a spare charger, of which I usually demand an extra anyways.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 4, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So my problem with flash in the Internet Explorer app was fixed with a recently released Windows update. It still doesn't fix my app crashing problems though. I did find a diagnostics program which is picking up problems but there is only so much I can do at work tethering off of my smartphone.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

OldPueblo posted:

If it helps, the Surface RT/Pro chargers are interchangeable. They just charge at different speeds.

A shitload slower, you mean, especially if you are using it while it charges.

I've used an RT charger at work in a pinch but if you have a Pro or Pro 2 you really are going to want the bigger one, even though it's twice the price.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Nerdrock posted:

Sadly for me, the closest Microsoft Store is in Buffalo, about an hour and 45 minutes away.

Edit : I overnighted one from amazon, and the ebay seller just got back to me apologizing, and saying they'll send it to me. So : I'll wind up with a spare charger, of which I usually demand an extra anyways.

You might consider returning that spare charger and watching for the dock on sale instead. The dock comes with a charger and it was recently on sale at Staples for $120.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
The Dell Venue 8 Pro is still $185 certified refubished (Scratch and Dent) from the dell outlet store. It's tempting as all hell although I'm not sure what use case I would have for it.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=222808&fid=1416

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

You might consider returning that spare charger and watching for the dock on sale instead. The dock comes with a charger and it was recently on sale at Staples for $120.

I've considered that scenario too. I only snagged the 12v (rt) charger as the spare, so it was only like $50.

As for the dock, I absolutely LOVE accessories like that, and I've been trying my rear end off to justify it, but I've not found a situation where I'd ever use it. (I do no real stationary computer usage/work at home. I already have a "gaming desktop" in the basement, and a non-portable "gaming laptop" for the couch. The surface is just going to be my "actually portable" computing device for when I don't want to use my work macbook air for personal poo poo.)

edit : Anyone with an opportunity to pick up a Venue 8 Pro for less than $200 is a fool to pass it up. It's shockingly good at the simple stuff.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Posting from the forums app on my new Omni 10. Like the tablet a lot so far! Now to install Hearthstone and Steam :smugdog:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does the dell venue have a wacom digitizer? I saw one at the store and it is the perfect size and weight. Would love it if I can throw sketchbook pro on it and have pressure sensitivity.

Lyrically Yours
Sep 15, 2010

keyframe posted:

Does the dell venue have a wacom digitizer? I saw one at the store and it is the perfect size and weight. Would love it if I can throw sketchbook pro on it and have pressure sensitivity.

It has a digitizer, although not Wacom. I understand that there were mixed results with the dell venue pro in terms of pressure sensitivity. You may be better off waiting for this bad boy. (really similar specs)

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/9/5292808/asus-vivotab-note-8-hands-on

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lyrically Yours posted:

It has a digitizer, although not Wacom. I understand that there were mixed results with the dell venue pro in terms of pressure sensitivity. You may be better off waiting for this bad boy. (really similar specs)

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/9/5292808/asus-vivotab-note-8-hands-on

Oh god yes! If I can use my bamboo wacom pen with it like I could with the surface pro I will be in heaven.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So, I figured out how to perform a complete factory reset (despite the fact that the recovery utility running in a landscape layout while being shown on the screen in the portrait position resulting in the sides getting lopped off) and everything is working now.

Before I gave up, the utility was saying that the display driver was out of date even after I updated everything which was a somewhat common occurrence with this type of problem. It also turns out that anti-viruses could be the cause of the issue and that a cleaning program has to be run to completely remove McAfee. Apparently, uninstalling it won't completely get rid of it. While that didn't fix the problem of most of my apps crashing or not working properly, I did give the cleaning program a run after the factory reset before connecting the tablet to my WiFi. Hopefully, this problem won't rear its ugly head again.

I light fires
May 12, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

Posting from the forums app on my new Omni 10. Like the tablet a lot so far! Now to install Hearthstone and Steam :smugdog:

Can you charge it and still use USB devices? It looks like you can because it uses a proprietary charger but I don't really want to order one just to find out if it works or not. I'm looking to do some tethered photography stuff and it would be nice to not have to rely on battery power.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I light fires posted:

Can you charge it and still use USB devices? It looks like you can because it uses a proprietary charger but I don't really want to order one just to find out if it works or not. I'm looking to do some tethered photography stuff and it would be nice to not have to rely on battery power.
Yes, the charger connects with a round connector that's separated from the usb.

I light fires
May 12, 2001
Order made

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I got the Surface Dock from Staples for $150. Staples has a weird mechanism where if you put your browser into incognito mode and load up a product page and keep refreshing it will eventually offer you a discount. I refreshed about ten times, and got a few $22 off, and then finally a $30 off. Google searched confirmed it's about the most you get, so I jumped on it. Slickdeals pointed me here:

http://www.cn-usa.com/?SearchIndex=Card&cmd=buy&sw_search=staples

Which I purchased for $2.50 (figured I can dispute it on Paypal if it's bogus). I also get 3% cash back from my Chase card, and then 5% cashback from Staples rewards. 150-8% isn't too bad. It includes an adapter, which is what I really wanted anyways.

EDIT: next refresh got me $36 off. Oh well, already purchased.

EDITEDIT: So I did that trick again for the Type Cover 2, got it for $80+8% cashback. I had to buy another $2.50 25 off from CHINA and sign up for another Staples account since the codes CHINA gives you can't be applied to the same account multiple times for some reason, but I saved $45 over buying it from Microsoft Store.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 5, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm going to update the thread soon. Any info or tablets you'd like to see added? I know the Vivotab and some Levono stuff are missing.

Syrinxx posted:

Yes, the charger connects with a round connector that's separated from the usb.

Is it true that the included cord is really short? I think I heard it's only three feet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm going to update the thread soon. Any info or tablets you'd like to see added? I know the Vivotab and some Levono stuff are missing.

I'd include this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad...2011s&cp=1&lp=2

Best Buy is the only place you can get a Yoga 11s with a Haswell. Lenovo only has the Ivy Bridge version. Also the 11s has replacable RAM and SSD. It's a really good deal for a pretty nice piece of kit.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I liked the SP2 with the usual caveats (the touchpad on the typecover 2 the biggest), but alas, when I handed it over to my guinea pig user for testing, it got the Sleep of Death a couple of times within two days.

That makes it a non-starter around here, which is a real shame. Reading around seems to suggest the ultimate solution is "wait for MS+hardware vendors to fix everything". Anyone know different?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Albinator posted:

I liked the SP2 with the usual caveats (the touchpad on the typecover 2 the biggest), but alas, when I handed it over to my guinea pig user for testing, it got the Sleep of Death a couple of times within two days.

That makes it a non-starter around here, which is a real shame. Reading around seems to suggest the ultimate solution is "wait for MS+hardware vendors to fix everything". Anyone know different?

I bought a Type Cover 2, should I have not purchased it?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I thought the keyboard was fine, but the touchpad was pants. I found switching to screen touches fairly natural for dragging things around, but I'd use a bluetooth mouse for extended laptop sessions. Which I do for other laptops too, so not really a deal breaker.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Albinator posted:

I thought the keyboard was fine, but the touchpad was pants. I found switching to screen touches fairly natural for dragging things around, but I'd use a bluetooth mouse for extended laptop sessions. Which I do for other laptops too, so not really a deal breaker.

Pants? Sorry I have no idea if that's a good descriptor or a bad one.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Best when taken off? :shrug:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Bad

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is it true that the included cord is really short? I think I heard it's only three feet.
Yep super short, looks like 3 feet. Battery life has been good though so the proprietary (and short) charging cable hasn't bugged me yet.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I bought a Type Cover 2, should I have not purchased it?

You should have purchased a Type Cover 1.

For many users the type cover 2 lights up randomly and doesn't reliably right-click, 2-finger scroll, or tap click. If you want to make it a linux tablet (lol) it's a non-option at the moment.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Heran Bago posted:

You should have purchased a Type Cover 1.

For many users the type cover 2 lights up randomly and doesn't reliably right-click, 2-finger scroll, or tap click. If you want to make it a linux tablet (lol) it's a non-option at the moment.

I could return it and get a Type Cover 1, I'm sure. I did some staples deals, but I could probably apply them to it.

Maybe this will help?

http://www.winbeta.org/news/surface-pro-receives-firmware-update-fix-touch-and-type-cover-2-issues

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 5, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If they have type cover 1s in stock you should. If not then it's not really worth the wait without a proper keyboard.

The issues, while still there, are not as bad on the Pro 2. See if they really bug you after a couple days. You might find that you don't even need to right-click or two finger scroll, or just prefer the pen for precision pointing.

e: That update you linked helped partially, especially with the random keyboard lighting, and it came to the Pro 2 before the Pro 1. Issues still persist.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 5, 2014

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
So I realize this isn't a tech support thread, but is anyone else with a Dell Venue 8 Pro having the speaker go to sleep? That is to say that if I use it for a while without doing anything that makes sound, the next time I do, say, type, or start a video the first half second or full second gets cut off before sound kicks in properly. Is this a battery saving feature? Did I miss a driver update?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Heran Bago posted:

If they have type cover 1s in stock you should. If not then it's not really worth the wait without a proper keyboard.

The issues, while still there, are not as bad on the Pro 2. See if they really bug you after a couple days. You might find that you don't even need to right-click or two finger scroll, or just prefer the pen for precision pointing.

e: That update you linked helped partially, especially with the random keyboard lighting, and it came to the Pro 2 before the Pro 1. Issues still persist.

Are the touchpad issues linked to a defective cover and could be fixed by swapping out and getting a "better" one?

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah it's minuscule. Not that the other Bay Trail tablets' cords are any longer.

I've had the Omni 10 since Mid-December and I can really recommend it. It's weight is a lot easier to handle than the Surface Pro in my opinion. Its battery life is easily 8-10 hours, though I haven't tested it rigorously or done any intense gaming on it. Charging is normal/speedy.

I'd say the build quality is better than any other plastic-cased device I've used. USB and HDMI work flawlessly, as do bluetooth peripherals.

I bought my mother an Asus T100 for Christmas and though that is fine, I'd choose the Omni 10 any day over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Troubadour posted:

Yeah it's minuscule. Not that the other Bay Trail tablets' cords are any longer.

I've had the Omni 10 since Mid-December and I can really recommend it. It's weight is a lot easier to handle than the Surface Pro in my opinion. Its battery life is easily 8-10 hours, though I haven't tested it rigorously or done any intense gaming on it. Charging is normal/speedy.

I'd say the build quality is better than any other plastic-cased device I've used. USB and HDMI work flawlessly, as do bluetooth peripherals.

I bought my mother an Asus T100 for Christmas and though that is fine, I'd choose the Omni 10 any day over it.

Stylus?

• Locked thread