Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SeaborneClink posted:

Alaska, NWT Canada, anyone who is still flying Electras, air tankers for firefighting :shrug:

Ya, the market is small, but it exists. I'd still love to see Boeing revisit this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There are also plenty of Il-76s and An-12s in civilian service, though I have to suspect that it's kind of an anomaly related to the collapse of the Soviet Union freeing up lots of surplus military transports.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Slo-Tek posted:

Why didn't the L-100 sell? Civilians don't need that much STOL cargo? Price? Ex-military C-130's thick on the ground?

And yeah, who not-government is going to buy a C-130J?

Hercules are really uneconomical to fly, end of story. Besides, they're the type of aircraft you'd fly into an airport exactly once up north. First in are some guys in a light aircraft like a Cessna 180 or a Super Cub, who clear a small runway with not much more than hand tools. Next in would be something like a Twin Otter or even a DC-3, which brings in more people and tools, making an even larger runway. Then comes the Herc, which brings in small earth-moving equipment. After that, it's Dash 8s and 737s all day long.

Beyond that, the people who currently fly L-100s are too broke-rear end to be able to afford a brand-new $50-60 million aircraft. That much money buys an awful lot of Electras or spare parts/fuel for your old L-100.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

The problem with a civilian C-17 is they just weren't designed for that much use. A 40-year-old military aircraft might fly a few times a month (or a week if they're really lucky), 40-year-old L-100s fly a few times a day.

Edit: I'm really curious what the operating economics of an L-100J are versus a 737-200 or 727-100, which are the current 'had to replace the DC-6 with something' choices. You could actually get financing on a new Hercules; probably not so much on a 727. Not to mention the possible market of rich guys who want their car to meet the yacht.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 4, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Advent Horizon posted:

A 40-year-old military aircraft might fly a few times a month (or a week if they're really lucky), 40-year-old L-100s fly a few times a day.

Wait, what?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Explaining just how wrong that is would probably get me in trouble, but no. In the States during training time yeah, for some aircraft types.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

If I was wrong on the military front, please correct me.

But Lynden most certainly keeps their L-100s flying pretty regularly. When I chartered one they had all of them going on at least 4 flights (two round trips, possibly with stops on the way back) a day.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You're probably not going to get much more specific information from the above two folks because discussing active military operations is not a good idea if you like keeping your rank and personal freedom.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Advent Horizon posted:

The problem with a civilian C-17 is they just weren't designed for that much use. A 40-year-old military aircraft might fly a few times a month (or a week if they're really lucky), 40-year-old L-100s fly a few times a day.

Edit: I'm really curious what the operating economics of an L-100J are versus a 737-200 or 727-100, which are the current 'had to replace the DC-6 with something' choices. You could actually get financing on a new Hercules; probably not so much on a 727. Not to mention the possible market of rich guys who want their car to meet the yacht.

What the hell would you finance a 727 for? They're available essentially for scrap value plus whatever the engines are worth, at this point. You can get three flying 727s for what you'd have to pay Pilatus to fly away in a new PC-12.

Alternately, five 727s, or a new King Air.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

If I was wrong on the military front, please correct me.

From my parent's generation (I'm going to assume that you won't get anything more recent due to OPSEC): If you're not deployed, fighters get the minimum time to stay current. If you're deployed everything is constantly moving. Cargo is always moving.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

MrYenko posted:

Ya, the market is small, but it exists. I'd still love to see Boeing revisit this:

You mean like this?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Like that, but I believe that airplane is just a regular production military C-17.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

From my parent's generation (I'm going to assume that you won't get anything more recent due to OPSEC): If you're not deployed, fighters get the minimum time to stay current. If you're deployed everything is constantly moving. Cargo is always moving.

That's still pretty much correct. And drat near everything in the USAF is pushing or past 40 years old at this point, except C-17s, C-130Js, and F-22s.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

MrChips posted:

Hercules are really uneconomical to fly, end of story. Besides, they're the type of aircraft you'd fly into an airport exactly once up north. First in are some guys in a light aircraft like a Cessna 180 or a Super Cub, who clear a small runway with not much more than hand tools. Next in would be something like a Twin Otter or even a DC-3, which brings in more people and tools, making an even larger runway. Then comes the Herc, which brings in small earth-moving equipment.

I'm not going to give this a full rebuttal because I'm not exactly unbiased but "uneconomical to fly" is most definitely not the end of the story. And I for one am not waiting for some yahoo in a Cessna to clear a runway using simple hand tools during contingencies. A Herc can land in 3000 feet of unprepared surface and offload enough hardware to prepare the surface for the fat boys to fly in.

I'm not going to suggest the C-130 is the solution to every problem but it's a bit more versatile than you're claiming.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
The only info I have on this is 'Spotted at Fort Rucker', anyone know what it's called? Besides 'yet another tilt rotor clusterfuck', or 'Autorotation? What's that?'

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Schindler's Fist posted:

The only info I have on this is 'Spotted at Fort Rucker', anyone know what it's called? Besides 'yet another tilt rotor clusterfuck', or 'Autorotation? What's that?'

Bell V-280 Valor mock-up.

"FVL is meant to develop a replacement for the Army's UH-60 Black Hawk, AH-64 Apache, CH-47 Chinook, and OH-58 Kiowa helicopters."

Because multi-role is money-roll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Vertical_Lift

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 4, 2014

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So that's what happens when you park a UH-60 and V-22 in the same hanger overnight unsupervised. :stare:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Looking at that thing, and knowing personably how the Army works, I feel like they decided that the Marine Corp had a monopoly on training deaths due to shoving as many people as you can into still-being-tested aircraft. Obviously we can't let the Marine Corp lord this over us. Also we need airplanes because all the cool branches have them.

re: replacing all our choppers with that.....HAHAHAHA

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

"FVL is meant to develop a replacement for the Army's UH-60 Black Hawk, AH-64 Apache, CH-47 Chinook, and OH-58 Kiowa helicopters."

wait, what?

Eisenhower is doing fuckin' somersaults in his grave. Absolutely disgusting.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Schindler's Fist posted:

It looks cool but drat it looks way smaller than the Osprey

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Those tail surfaces are...interesting?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
FVL is just concepts about a family of different scale aircraft designed around future needs, not "replace all aircraft with the Hawksprey". The Army has to think past 60s chinooks at some point, and since there is some kind of meeting going on you will probably see a bunch of these mockups at Rucker this week.

Sikorsky had their X2 project big rig parked in the middle of our running track this morning, hehe.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 4, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

FVL is just concepts about a family of different scale aircraft designed around future needs, not "replace all aircraft with the Hawksprey". The Army has to think past 60s chinooks at some point, and since there is some kind of meeting going on you will probably see a bunch of these mockups at Rucker this week.

Sikorsky had their X2 project big rig parked in the middle of our running track this morning, hehe.

It's 2014, shouldn't we be jumping in to combat with rocket infantry?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

dubzee posted:

wait, what?

Eisenhower is doing fuckin' somersaults in his grave. Absolutely disgusting.

See: F-35, and LCS.

And yeah, Ike would kneecap every SecDef we've had since the Berlin Wall fell.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SeaborneClink posted:

So that's what happens when you park a UH-60 and V-22 in the same hanger overnight unsupervised. :stare:

At least this one inherited the gun mounts from the 60. Maybe this time they don't have to waste their speed advantage by flying slow enough so the gunships can keep up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

And yeah, Ike would kneecap every SecDef we've had since the Berlin Wall fell.

Why, what was his deal? (I know he was a general and the president after Truman, and his election campaign had some buttons, but that's about it)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Phy posted:

Why, what was his deal? (I know he was a general and the president after Truman, and his election campaign had some buttons, but that's about it)

Well, he's famous (for a bunch of things, but in this context) for talking about the dangers of the military industrial complex in a speech. Something to do with that, I'm guessing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Davin Valkri posted:

Well, he's famous (for a bunch of things, but in this context) for talking about the dangers of the military industrial complex in a speech. Something to do with that, I'm guessing.
He warns about military spending in general in his "chance for peace" speech, and against the corrupting nature of the defense industry/establishment in his farewell address. Both are still eerily relevant today to all but the most jingoistic morons.

quote:

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

quote:

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

http://coursesa.matrix.msu.edu/~hst306/documents/indust.html

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Eisenhower was warning against commingling of defense industry special interests and government officials in ways that didn't really benefit defense while hurting the taxpayers. If this means anything to you, it's exactly what Jon Stewart railed on Pelosi about last week. Alternately, look at what's going on with tank production. Or just read this lady's Wikipedia page for examples.

It's hardly specific to defense but in Eisenhower's day military spending so dominated the budget (53%, vice about 21% today) that that's where the profit opportunities mostly lied.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Slo-Tek posted:

The military industrial complex is such a joke.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

"JMR-Ultra: New ultra-sized version for vertical lift aircraft with performance similar to fixed-wing tactical transport aircraft, such as the C-130J Super Hercules and the Airbus A400M Atlas; introduction planned for 2025."

Bahahahaha

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

hobbesmaster posted:

"JMR-Ultra: New ultra-sized version for vertical lift aircraft with performance similar to fixed-wing tactical transport aircraft, such as the C-130J Super Hercules and the Airbus A400M Atlas; introduction planned for 2025."

Bahahahaha

You laugh now, but watch what happens when we put lasers on it. We'll call it the Alan Parsons Project.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
:laffo: who didn't see this outcome for the C-27?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Thing is, that a trip to the boneyard is not anything like one-way. Something past 40% of the aircraft that arrive at the AMARG leave again under their own power. Some as QF target drones, a lot to foreign militaries, and a goodly number, like the C-27's, back into service in the US.

But yeah, looks pretty dumb to have them built new in Italy and flown directly to the boneyard.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Godholio posted:

See: F-35, and LCS.

This is what kills me. "The JSF is such a roaring success, let's develop four different multi-role platforms in parallel!"

I get that there's a lot of 'nam era gear that needs to be replaced, so why not concentrate on that first? Wiki says the Chinook replacement won't be introduced until 2035, some of those will be pushing 80 by then, but the Hercules-alike is due in 2025.

:homebrew:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

dubzee posted:

This is what kills me. "The JSF is such a roaring success, let's develop four different multi-role platforms in parallel!"

I get that there's a lot of 'nam era gear that needs to be replaced, so why not concentrate on that first? Wiki says the Chinook replacement won't be introduced until 2035, some of those will be pushing 80 by then, but the Hercules-alike is due in 2025.

:homebrew:

If you're not familiar with them, you may want to check out TFR's Airpower/Cold War thread and GiP's Current Events thread which both regularly get into this topic.

The short answer is everything that wasn't explicitly bought for Iraq/Afghanistan is decades-old and needs to be replaced, and there's no money for any of it. That goes a lot further than just aircraft. As dumb and broken as it sounds (because it is), the hope with multirole is that it gets a solution through Congress that's a mediocre answer to a variety of problems, where the alternative might be a good answer to one problem and nothing for the others.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

lovelySick gizmodo link bro :allears:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The Army has to think past 60s chinooks at some point, .

Here I was thinking that's what the F models are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
F models are great, as are Block III 64s, 60Ms, and the canceling of the 58 (heyooo) but the entire point of looking ahead in these conceptual manners is it allows you to shape a future force (like 2035+) in a way that capitalizes on things like optionally manned tech, condition based maintenance, new materials, and other advancements that are better made on airframes designed for them than by stapling 5 new boxes every year to what we've already got.