Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Yup. It's reasonably rare for an author to also write a screenplay. Les is just a special snowflake who mopily fought tooth and nail to protect his dead wife from those Hollywood monsters.

And the story is SUPER compelling. I mean she died of cancer and was spirited or something.

Actually is there anything special about ~Lisa's Story~? That's kind of bugging me now. There's some kind of race, that's about all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Green Intern posted:

Yup. It's reasonably rare for an author to also write a screenplay. Les is just a special snowflake who mopily fought tooth and nail to protect his dead wife from those Hollywood monsters.

I remember one time after they got running a race for breast cancer. Les was all "You know what I got on my mind?" and his current wife just looked heart broken because she knows he's thinking about his dead wife. She was just so broken and trapped in this enabling relationship. It's sad.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The head of this inquiry is modeled after Tipper Gore, one of the co-founders of the PMRC.

Just then, Dee Snider, John Denver, and Frank Zappa walk into the court-room.

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Connie To The Wonnie seems to be in reruns, with Connie herself providing comments on the strips.

:unsmith:

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Pakled posted:

Everett True
March 26 & 27, 1918

You just know that, a minute or two later, Everett True saw another guy loitering a little farther down the street and beat him up for it.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

The Sphinxster posted:

And the story is SUPER compelling. I mean she died of cancer and was spirited or something.

Actually is there anything special about ~Lisa's Story~? That's kind of bugging me now. There's some kind of race, that's about all I know.

Maybe it's his own version of the Colton Burpo story, where he writes about The Phantom of the Opera taking you away to heaven instead of angels singing or whatever.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I'll think I'll hang on to this for the next time I get into an abortion argument

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

spookygonk posted:

That woman's never coming out of there with her mind intact, is she?

He's just going to keep piling up the ridiculous poo poo, then knock her out and threaten her "guide" into telling her it was all a fever induced hallucination.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

The Sphinxster posted:

It reminds me of conversation I'd gotten into with someone who worked for a book publisher. I had asked her she had seen any interesting submissions for books, and the first thing she complained about was how every other manuscript she received was about a writer who battled cancer. "It's like every person who's ever had cancer believes they're the only one who has, and their story is unique."

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Exactly. I mean, I hope I didn't come off as callous because cancer is serious business, but as far as I know that's the whole story (I'm not going to research Funky Winkerbean, so I'm ready to be wrong) and we're supposed to believe it's this wonderful saga because the writer says so. Pfft.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Also of note: in the original Lisa death arc she at one point testified before Congress about how cancer is bad.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Pakled posted:

Good to see that Everett's wartime patriotic enthusiasm hasn't manifested itself as a complete subservience to all authority.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Pakled posted:

Everett True

Good to see that Everett's wartime patriotic enthusiasm hasn't manifested itself as a complete subservience to all authority.

What.. what is that sound that dude made? Biff. Did he fart? I mean, if he did, it was apparently pretty loud. Is that some sort of an old-timey throat clearing noise? Sneeze? Is that some other dude's name? Interesting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

What.. what is that sound that dude made? Biff. Did he fart? I mean, if he did, it was apparently pretty loud. Is that some sort of an old-timey throat clearing noise? Sneeze? Is that some other dude's name? Interesting.

I think that's the sound of Everett's meaty fist hitting skull.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Tunicate posted:

I think that's the sound of Everett's meaty fist hitting skull.

Ah, I read it as the noise/sound that pissed Everett off in the first place.

:v:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Pakled posted:

Everett True

But Everett, look at what you're doing, standing up and shouting in the middle of the performance! You have become that which you so despise!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Ah, I read it as the noise/sound that pissed Everett off in the first place.

:v:

Me too, and I also found it confusing. I was thinking, "Biff? Is that an old-timey burn or something?"

Luann

Worlds best liar here. And her deception hinges on Leslie believing there are hidden cameras in a bathroom frequented by underage kids and nobody's worried about a lawsuit.

Apartment 3-G

Your deer, however, will have been raised by humans and not have the natural fear of them that helps most wild animals stay out of trouble. Additionaly, it will not have learned how to function in the wild away from people. Great rescuing skills, Tommie!

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

I find myself liking Foxy Grandpa, it's still humorous across the years. Also, I smile when I read it because it reminds me of a Kurt Vonnegut story where a Foxy Grandpa was...

"Yo, it’s a Foxy Grandpa,” said Mary. She’d seen the person too. A foxy grandpa was an old
man, cute and senile, who quibbled and joked and reminisced for hours and hours before letting
a hostess put him to sleep. Mary and Nancy half smiled and groaned, “We’ve spent the past
two hours trying to decide on a last meal.” "
-From "Welcome to the Monkey House"

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones (Sergio Aragones Funnies #2, August 2011)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #50, October 1959)

That last panel is terrifying :stare:

Thorn (February 13-15, 1984)

Lucky Cow (April 19-21, 2004)

Yes, that last strip was used as a basis for the World's Largest Comic Strip, complete with certification from the Guinness Book of World Records.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Who the gently caress wouldn't want an army of tiny dudes?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Sergio Aragones, does anyone still have that edit of him winning Prom Queen (or whatever) in Luann from a couple threads ago?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Worlds best liar here. And her deception hinges on Leslie believing there are hidden cameras in a bathroom frequented by underage kids and nobody's worried about a lawsuit.

You've obviously never lived in a real surveillance culture: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/sep/11/cctv-cameras-school-changing-rooms

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

"Oh good so the security camera caught the hippy attacking me first for trying to use the bathroom!"

Seriously what the gently caress is this storyline

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G
Either Bolle completely forgot how he usually draws Margo (hair in a tight bun), or he's pulling old art from some other character, or he secretly decided to cut Margo's hair.

Given that the second and third option would require him to give more than half a poo poo about drawing A3G, I'm guessing it's the first one.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Macaluso posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is this storyline

What the gently caress is Luanne? Didn't it used to be just a cute daily about teenage girl problems? Or was I too young to pick up on all the what-the-gently caress-ery?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The Sphinxster posted:

It's author self-insertion. To Baituk, Lisa dying of cancer was the most beautiful and transcendent thing he ever wrote, so it's clearly a story for the ages.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Julet Esqu posted:

Me too, and I also found it confusing. I was thinking, "Biff? Is that an old-timey burn or something?"

Guys, did you never watch Batman?

Fingerpori

- Heimo, go get us a new motherboard quickly!
In an hour:

Emolevy is a fairly literal translation of motherboard: emo means mother and levy means board. Basically a levy is any relatively thin, flat object, so it also refers to plates, slabs and discs such as CD-levy, which now that I think about it is literally compact disc disc.

The pun aside, there's an interesting thing about the word for mother. Emo or emä are old Finnish and haven't actually been used by children to refer to their mothers for a long time. Those words are now used for animal mothers. For humans, mother is äiti which is a loan from ancient Germanic aithi or Gothic aiþei. Germans, in turn, eventually took to using the Latin mater instead.

Fok_It

tiistai fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 5, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Say what you will about Achewood but when Achewood characters are depressed you notice from their dialogue and behaviour and not from them saying "my depression is setting in" while behaving in every way like they usually do.
I choose to interpret this as the characters in Funky Winkerbean all being depressed all the time.

This is just those hallucinogens he took kicking in.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

The Sphinxster posted:

It just hit me. It's the plot of "Love Story". It was a nothing book and a nothing movie but in 1970, everybody seemed to think it was the most romantic thing ever. I was a kid, so I thought it was just bathos. I still do.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Guys, you're forgetting that Lisa also got teenage pregnant with an jock's baby! And then gave the baby up for adoption! Her story is the most tragic one ever!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Wandering Knitter posted:

Guys, you're forgetting that Lisa also got teenage pregnant with an jock's baby! And then gave the baby up for adoption! Her story is the most tragic one ever!

Not just a jock, a retconned date rapist who tried to connect with his son later and got told off!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Several cartoonists, including Wiley Miller, Keith Knight, and Lynn Johnston, talk about Morrie Turner. It's pretty touching

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mister Beeg posted:

Thorn (February 13-15, 1984)

I was wondering if this particular bit was going to be in Thorn.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (January 22nd 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TofuDiva posted:

It just hit me. It's the plot of "Love Story". It was a nothing book and a nothing movie but in 1970, everybody seemed to think it was the most romantic thing ever. I was a kid, so I thought it was just bathos. I still do.

So the rich, white, intelligent, and altogether perfect Harvard student falls in love with a rich, white, intelligent and altogether perfect Radcliffe student, but his father doesn't want them to be together because... why? And then the doctor doesn't tell his patient that she's terminal, but instead opts to tell her boyfriend? And the doctor does that while specifically saying that he's not to inform her of the fact that she's dying? loving Roger Ebert liked this poo poo?

I guess it's no surprise we got the expression love means never having to say you're sorry from this awful piece of fiction.

Six Chix

:smith:

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Arlo and Janis

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LtStorm posted:

You should be more Moomin-minded.

(Kind of want to grab this for myself.)
Either that or the Mymble 'I'll blow your brains out!' panel would be good.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's author self-insertion. To Baituk, Lisa dying of cancer was the most beautiful and transcendent thing he ever wrote, so it's clearly a story for the ages.

Definitely this. For the comics page, it's obviously a unique thing because long-established comic strip characters don't die off on a regular basis, especially in a long lingering way the way cancer can provide for you. From the Funky Winkerbean POV, Lisa's Story is something unique and special because it's a story that happened to Lisa, not because of anything that's actually in the story. And that's why the author can't stop telling it.

However, that puts us in an awkward position since the character the author is most fascinated with was rendered permanently unavailable seven years ago.

Skippy (November 4-6, 1926)

Just in case you thought meta was something new. :v:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Well that's a perfectly reasonable rationale to drowning an entire city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

So the rich, white, intelligent, and altogether perfect Harvard student falls in love with a rich, white, intelligent and altogether perfect Radcliffe student, but his father doesn't want them to be together because... why? And then the doctor doesn't tell his patient that she's terminal, but instead opts to tell her boyfriend? And the doctor does that while specifically saying that he's not to inform her of the fact that she's dying? loving Roger Ebert liked this poo poo?

It's a relatable story about likable people that could conceivably actually happen, if you ignore the dumber plot threads. I know that's not much of a compliment but modern American romances really don't have any kind of any comparable grasp as far as making love stories people would actually want to see. I'd rather endure bathos than jokes about Ashton Kutcher's scrotum.

edit: that Love Story has memorable bad writing automatically puts it a cut above more recent stuff. You can laugh at Love Story. You just want to strangle the people involved in adapting the latest Nicholas Sparks novel.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

One one level I'm annoyed that the characters are loudly screaming their character traits but on another I'd probably have no idea what the difference between any of them were if the comic didn't take the time to explain this to me. Anyone else being driven nuts by Rip Haywire's tendency's to only mention character's names when they're not on-panel, so it's impossible to remember which goon they're talking about?

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 5, 2014

• Locked thread