Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Midnight City posted:

Jesus loving Christ they're getting rid of swarming, beaming, headshotting, decapping and assassinating as we know it.

If this isn't some strange way to just force people to quit to play EQ landmark I don't know what.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...changes.207363/

Oh, now at 85 you'll get all AA's auto granted to you from Underfoot and below, but only if you have a Gold account. I don't even know what the gently caress at this point.

I'm going to quit not paying them any money now :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
God drat they really are trying to take the stupid(ly fun) stuff out of the game, aren't they? I mean at least they realize that AAs are a loving slog but half the fun of EQ is all the wacky poo poo you can pull off if you know what you're doing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I didn't see there, but if you sub for gold for a month do you get to keep the auto-granted AA's after the sub expires? And I wonder how it will interact with Test, since technically everyone on Test is gold for other purposes.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Devor posted:

I didn't see there, but if you sub for gold for a month do you get to keep the auto-granted AA's after the sub expires? And I wonder how it will interact with Test, since technically everyone on Test is gold for other purposes.

Dev says you'll keep the AA's but not get to earn more.

I just can't imagine the logic they're using to try to do this. They're acting like the PLing methods were the cause of the game's degradation and not just a band aid solution people found. I have some pretty nerdy friends and there's not a single one of them I could convince to put in the 'work' (read: tedium) it requires to legit level something to 85.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

As a Ranger I'm annoyed at the headshot change, but really it's that much more sad to change anything involving Rogues. I at least have gobs of class utility and plenty of solo/molo ability, Rogues really are two dimensional enough that they deserve to have some kind of gimmick to at least add a few wrinkles to the class.

Of course in the EQ world of every class getting their fun gimmicks nerfed out of jealousy, headshot lasted way longer than I could have realistically hoped.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Midnight City posted:

Dev says you'll keep the AA's but not get to earn more.

I just can't imagine the logic they're using to try to do this. They're acting like the PLing methods were the cause of the game's degradation and not just a band aid solution people found. I have some pretty nerdy friends and there's not a single one of them I could convince to put in the 'work' (read: tedium) it requires to legit level something to 85.

From my reading of that, the server stability was the bigger issue. And I can imagine that since they probably got a loving poo poo-ton of petitions to wade through when the server shits itself, that it's a credible thing to want to address.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I personally think that's a really really good change. (As long as aa auto grants stay in). When is that supposed to go live? I might almost consider playing on a live server if I were to reinstall. Probably not. But I still think it was a good move.

Now everyone doesn't have to stop at 80 and grind aa for 2 months. Tanks can go to 85 or higher and most Dps classes can probably just go straight to 100

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Vomik posted:

I personally think that's a really really good change. (As long as aa auto grants stay in). When is that supposed to go live? I might almost consider playing on a live server if I were to reinstall. Probably not. But I still think it was a good move.

Now everyone doesn't have to stop at 80 and grind aa for 2 months. Tanks can go to 85 or higher and most Dps classes can probably just go straight to 100

Yes, but now that also means you've lost the 400% xp bonus to the first 4,000 AAs you get because they auto granted you the very desired Baking Mastery AA's.

People are speculating this is their attempt at introducing heroic characters to be bought in the station store (like EQ2 has), the devs have completely avoided answering people in the thread asking them to confirm they aren't thinking about it.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 5, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Midnight City posted:

Yes, but now that also means you've lost the 400% xp bonus to the first 4,000 AAs you get because they auto granted you the very desired Baking Mastery AA's.

People are speculating this is their attempt at introducing heroic characters to be bought in the station store (like EQ2 has), the devs have completely avoided answering people in the thread asking them to confirm they aren't thinking about it.

It kills the sub-4k exp bonus by giving you almost all those AAs as you level.

Heroic character are coming to EQ, the producer letter from Jan mentioned them. No real details, but some kind of buyable higher level character will be in EQ in the next few months.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I don't actually play EQ2 and never have, so does anyone know what a heroic character is in relation to it?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm pretty sure heroic character was just their 'get to level 85 + some AA' tool, nothing fancy. Some gear, your spells, some bags and a mount.

A set of Level 85 weapons
Level 85 jewelry
Level 85 armor
20 Food and Drink
Ammunition for Fighter and Scount (not my typo :v:) Ranged Weapons
6 24-slot bags
Variety of Potions
A Pegasus Mount
Renaming potion for your character (Upgraded or Purchased Heroic Characters only), just in case!

They also have a 'try before you buy' model which is kind of neat too.

The equivalent would be like a level 95/4000 AA here. Enough to give you something to do, not enough to leave you completely without things to accomplish.

EDIT: Although 100 AA is kind of piddly in EQ2 unless they fixed how the XP curve works. Last I played it was smarter to chunk a bunch of AA early on.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Freeze_Dried_Chives posted:

Can anyone send Razzlie some stuff on test? I recently came back and have been trying to level up a Ranger, but I am still rocking testbuff gear at 50 because I cannot find anything to buy on the bazaar.

I sent you a bunch of random defiant chain and a couple weapons that people had sold to merchants in PoK. If there's anything you don't want, you can just vendor it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Is there a plat limit? I don't know why but I've kept testcopying and about to break one billion, don't want to log in and have it permanently crashing or something.

(Yes I'll start sending to goons on test, have to keep offline trader going until I get the poo poo that I can sell below 2.1m which is the limit for baz traders)

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

Hah, i spent the last year levelling 3 chars up to 92, getting 4k AAs on my SK along the way. Had a blast, levelling and getting stronger through grinding AAs, was just ready to hit MG for the next swarming spot, dinged 92 tonight. And now these changes. I just cancelled subscription on my 3 accounts because what's the point any more.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I hope your "tell us why you're unsubbing" message was "no swarm no sub".

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I hope your "tell us why you're unsubbing" message was "no swarm no sub".

I would buy 3 subscriptions if it let me watch their subscriber totals in realtime for, like, a month.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

There's no way tanks can get to 85 without AA's, it'd be loving clown shoes in GoD+. Even the tank merc starts turning to poo poo the closer it gets to SoD. The only hope you have is getting some high level to do your T5 merc quests for you, which is supposedly what they're trying to prevent.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Midnight City posted:

There's no way tanks can get to 85 without AA's, it'd be loving clown shoes in GoD+. Even the tank merc starts turning to poo poo the closer it gets to SoD. The only hope you have is getting some high level to do your T5 merc quests for you, which is supposedly what they're trying to prevent.

Now? No, obviously not. With the change? Yeah they could, since they'd have all the AAs up to 85 (at 85 more would open up they'd have to grind for though)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

quote:

“In the case of a character on a gold account leveling up past 51, do you intend to auto-grant AA abilities as the character's level makes the AAs available for purchase? In other words, ding 51 and get ~200aas granted, ding 55 and get another 100 granted, etc...?”

That's pretty accurate.

You get auto-granted any AA that you qualified for as you level up into it. So it's as if you maxed out your AA's that you could spend every level. At level 80 you would have all your 80 AA's.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...-6#post-3043254

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Yeah, the paladin I grouped with recently was able to tank everything amazingly well, because he kept fully up to date on his CA/CS AA's. The big problem was people hitting 80 and having a literal loving mountain of defensive AAs to climb to be viable. What was it, like 45 ranks of CA/CS as of VoA? If they didn't have their defensive AAs they took hits like a wet paper bag.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Devor posted:

You get auto-granted any AA that you qualified for as you level up into it. So it's as if you maxed out your AA's that you could spend every level. At level 80 you would have all your 80 AA's.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...-6#post-3043254

That's actually kinda neat. I stopped playing when I hit 52 because I realized sooner or later I'd have to grind a fuckload of AAs when I just wanted to get powerful enough to stomp around all the old content from when I played for reals. Now I might actually do that.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
I'm just mad about the decap/HS/assassin changes, the only issue I have with granting the AAs is it kills the xp bonus that you would use to get your required AAs. In the end it will probably be less grind time though and will really only hurt people who try to play EQ alone, which I'm fine with.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
I kind of like these new changes. I'm going to lose a lot of money in the PL business, more than likely, but whatever.

Also, I've got some more Krono in stock if any of you guys want to buy them at $8 a piece. Paypal gift only, of course. I've sold some to goons already so they can vouch if you're weary.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Catullus posted:

Hah, i spent the last year levelling 3 chars up to 92, getting 4k AAs on my SK along the way. Had a blast, levelling and getting stronger through grinding AAs, was just ready to hit MG for the next swarming spot, dinged 92 tonight. And now these changes. I just cancelled subscription on my 3 accounts because what's the point any more.
It's on par for the course that your work a few years ago in an MMO seems like a waste compared to current content. The content ahead of you should be unchanged, because at level 92 with 4k AA you likely won't be auto-granted any AA at all.

I also really like grinding AAs and feeling the progression, though. I wish they would instead just MASSIVELY increase the AAXP bonus, for example so that a player could pretty much grind each level's AAs in 10 minutes per level. I like earning points, dammit.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Have they indicated when the February update will be applied?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

It's on par for the course that your work a few years ago in an MMO seems like a waste compared to current content. The content ahead of you should be unchanged, because at level 92 with 4k AA you likely won't be auto-granted any AA at all.

I also really like grinding AAs and feeling the progression, though. I wish they would instead just MASSIVELY increase the AAXP bonus, for example so that a player could pretty much grind each level's AAs in 10 minutes per level. I like earning points, dammit.

Yeah, if I ever play on Test again, I'm going to feel really loving stupid. I stopped at every 5 levels and worked on AAs hard. That's a lot of wasted time.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Going to see how far I can PL with just the damage shield way. I know I've PL'd to at least 70-75 before with it and that was before I was ROF T4 raid geared.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you really wanted to push and had a box bard, you could probably do up to like 85. It'd be completely miserable but my bad geared druid managed to get some decent pulls in Direwind, Walls of Slaughter and PoFire. It got hairy at some points and a healer merc was needed but who cares when you aren't getting xp anyway?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I always use a healer merc as an SK, I do massive pulls, DSH is the best because I can pull the entire zone but it stopped being good at 72ish, I never went higher than 74-75 due to just being able to swarm once 70 but my long term DS is 600 now and they upgraded the 10 minute DS SK's get too so I don't think it'll be that bad.

I'll probably try shrouding and using the PBAE fennin pots too and see how good that is.

I'm glad I copied over 3 mages and 1 necro with EM20 earrings now.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 5, 2014

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
This is a lovely change all around. From the changes to the classes to the changes to the AA system. They are basically changing at its core what EQ has been for the better part of 15 yrs. IMO this is the death of EQ as we know it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Peechka posted:

This is a lovely change all around. From the changes to the classes to the changes to the AA system. They are basically changing at its core what EQ has been for the better part of 15 yrs. IMO this is the death of EQ as we know it.

While I won't argue good/bad change, I think saying this is the death of EQ is a bit over-dramatic. It's a natural change from how the game has been progressing for like the past 9 years or whatever, or whenever leveling 1-50/60 became so drat fast.

It seems most of the active players anymore are at the top-end. The social aspect of EQ has been long dead. The only way to progress at any reasonable speed is to box like a mother fucker (which is why I stalled out in the early 80s - I just hate boxing, I've tried). Solo'ing is terrible in EQ too - if I want a good solo experience, I'll play LOTRO, or GW2, or WoW if I feel like paying a sub for some dumb reason.

It's just EQ adapting to what subscribers it has would like. If they want to level alts, congrats, it's easier. EQ isn't (and hasn't) gotten new player in forever. The top end game doesn't change with this.

Honestly - the death of EQ as we know it seemed to be this horrible last expansion, from all reports.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

As someone who's abused mass killing methods on bard and monk, I'm still glad to see this happen. Last time I played, there were literally lines of rangers and shadowknights in every loving zone that could HS/swarm, and none of those assholes did anything but lock it down. They literally just used it to extort plat from everyone on the server to PL and were on like an 8 hour shift system. I would see the same rangers/sks selling PLs for 6+ months on end, day after day. Trying to do progression in some of those zones made me pray every day for a nerf so the rest of us could get the kills/stuff we needed. gently caress 'em all.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Midnight City posted:

Going to see how far I can PL with just the damage shield way. I know I've PL'd to at least 70-75 before with it and that was before I was ROF T4 raid geared.

You can PL up into the 80s via bard damage shield pretty easily. I usually didn't bother switching to other PL methods until 82 or so when leveling alts up.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Another thing that will be interesting is the fact that when the AA change takes effect, people might actually be able to begin doing HoT content at level 85, instead of over-levelling to 90+, then slowly grind out thousands of AA on the HoT T1 content before progressing. It's no secret that "no one" does anything but box and PL until the high 80's, where they twink it up with HoT/VoA T1 gear, and THEN begin on the fun (IMO) HoT content. At least that was how it was about a year ago for all us goons. Again, I love the grind to an extent, but granting all AAs precisely up to Underfoot, the expansion that pretty much no one touches, is just about the right spot to hit with this. Grinding AAs in the 60's and 70's is seriously boring.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So what's the new path to getting into recent content going to be?

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006

Republicans posted:

So what's the new path to getting into recent content going to be?

Same as it is now except you don't have to grind AAs for several weeks to be useful. The nerf to berserkers will slow me down 70-90 if it goes through that's about it.

Hilarious to see people on test to complain about people given free AA, like it effects them in any way. This change is good for people who actually play the game as it is in its current state because it will allow for returning players to contribute faster. Now you just have to level to 100, do HAs to get augs and the AAs you are missing to do your job and get some easy to obtain group gear then you get to raiding.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Ha gently caress this game forever for sure after these changes go through. What a stupid load of horseshit. They're sequentially killing off every remotely fun thing this game had left.

RIP :soe:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MrTheDevious posted:

Ha gently caress this game forever for sure after these changes go through. What a stupid load of horseshit. They're sequentially killing off every remotely fun thing this game had left.

RIP :soe:

Source the overwrought quotes from the SOE thread please

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006

Devor posted:

Source the overwrought quotes from the SOE thread please

I was hoping that was him posting and not a copy paste job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The amount of butthurt in that thread is incredible.

The only thing I really disagree with is the way they're nerfing SK swarming.

Kiting or soloing in ways that get ~40-80aa/lesson and don't cause the servers to poo poo themselves aren't being touched. The infinitely scaling methods of soloing, like beaming or swarming are being nerfed. Those abilities encourage players to pull as many mobs as possible, with no real upper cap.

Yeah, it is a nerf, but it's pretty even in hitting those abilities and normal exp groups and such won't be hurt.

And loving finally on the AA auto-grants, it's been over 2 years since that poll.