Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Recent discovery: planar magnetics are pretty loving good. I got the HE-500 yesterday and it's amazing, other than the fact that it weighs about eighteen pounds.

Feenix posted:

Man, lots of good user reviews on the Audio Technica 900x cans but a lot of complaints about the comfort and fit with the heft vs. the paddles/wings.

I'm trying out a whole bunch of headphones right now and the AD900X is one of my favorites, sound-wise. The stock fit wasn't very good because the wings are rather loose and the headphones would slide a bit too far down my head. Solution: a rubber band. Now they fit pretty much perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I have bought multiple sets of the Sennheiser CX-300s despite them wearing out on me at an accelerated rate over the past few years. They used to last a year to 18 months, but I recently got 5 months out of my last set. gently caress it~~~

Budget: sub-$100
Style: IEM
Isolation: REQUIRED - I have a loud car that needs some sort of ear protection... and it would be great if I could also listen to something as well

I did have a pair of Shure E2Cs a while ago, but I was kind of mean to them (fishing them up/down a work shirt to make it look like I wasn't listening to music at work). Thanks.

e: should I just pick up another set of the Phillips SHE3580s? I don't feel that they give a great isolation in the car, though.

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 30, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

xelpmoc posted:

I'm trying out a whole bunch of headphones right now and the AD900X is one of my favorites, sound-wise. The stock fit wasn't very good because the wings are rather loose and the headphones would slide a bit too far down my head. Solution: a rubber band. Now they fit pretty much perfectly.

I'd recommend getting two black hair ties and looping them together. The fit is pretty much perfect on my 2000X's this way and you end up with a much sleeker look. :)

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Took me a full week of owning this slyr headset to realize it was over-ear instead of on-ear. :ughh: Constantly needing to readjust them should have clued me in, I suppose.

Only downside was having to buy a splitter to use the microphone without that silly USB dongle thing, otherwise I quite like them.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Been listening to my Monster Gratitudes for the past week. The packaging and build quality are excellent and the IEMs aren't nearly as flashy as I feared. Isolation ranges from pretty good (with the squishy tips) to almost block-out silence (with the triflange tips). As for the sound, vocals sound amazing through this thing. The vocals are a touch louder than I'm used to, I like the sound balance a lot more than the M6P's. Nothing sounds harsh or muddy. The bass is okay, just muted (and, despite what some Amazon reviews say, definitely audible). The M6Ps have bass with better presence, but the Gratitudes are much better at everything else.

In summary I'm quite pleased. Not capslock blown away capslock but I like them more with each listen. Thanks grack!

(I actually found the much-missed Samsung IEMs the other day and the sound is almost as good as the Gratitudes, as well as being airy. It's not as clear as I remembered but the instruments all come through beautifully, even some I don't usually hear. Since it's apparently uncommon in IEMs, is the airiness a result of artificial sound boosting or what?) edit: by airiness I mean the high-pitched reverb.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Fall posted:

Been listening to my Monster Gratitudes for the past week. The packaging and build quality are excellent and the IEMs aren't nearly as flashy as I feared. Isolation ranges from pretty good (with the squishy tips) to almost block-out silence (with the triflange tips). As for the sound, vocals sound amazing through this thing. The vocals are a touch louder than I'm used to, I like the sound balance a lot more than the M6P's. Nothing sounds harsh or muddy. The bass is okay, just muted (and, despite what some Amazon reviews say, definitely audible). The M6Ps have bass with better presence, but the Gratitudes are much better at everything else.

In summary I'm quite pleased. Not capslock blown away capslock but I like them more with each listen. Thanks grack!

(I actually found the much-missed Samsung IEMs the other day and the sound is almost as good as the Gratitudes, as well as being airy. It's not as clear as I remembered but the instruments all come through beautifully, even some I don't usually hear. Since it's apparently uncommon in IEMs, is the airiness a result of artificial sound boosting or what?) edit: by airiness I mean the high-pitched reverb.

Glad you like the Gratitudes, they really are an excellent IEM.

The Samsung's have that "airiness" because of the slit at the top of the nozzle. It both acts as an acoustic vent and decreases the perceived output from the bass driver (hopefully that makes sense).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
My wife watches TV in the same room that I'm on the computer. I want a set of headphones that will absolutely minimize as much external sound as possible. Features I want:

1) comfortable for long periods of listening, so probably over the ear headphones
2) must absolutely block as much outside sound as possible
3) 5.1 surround sound
4) an attached microphone would be a plus, but I'm willing to give that up if I can get the others

Money is no object if it works and will last a while (okay maybe not something $1000+)

edit: I'm currently using a Logitech G35 which, despite its "gaming" branding, actually has very good sound, including surround sound, and is very comfortable.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 31, 2014

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I need new computer headphones, my Siberia V1's are falling apart after 5 years and I'm not all that impressed with the sound they produced anyway.

1) My chief concern, and the only real reason I stuck with the Siberia for so long, is comfort. I absolutely need something that I can wear for uninterrupted hours without feeling like my ears are smashed or my head is in a vice grip. I have a large head, and the Siberias are very, very, comfortable for the $70 I spent on them.
- For this reason, I'm looking for circumaural. I can't stand anything else for prolonged periods.

2) I'd be using it for 'gaming' but I'm not in any dire need of being able to hear which direction a smoke grenade is bouncing down a hallway on the opposite side of the map. I play MMOs and I'm listening to my own music and voice comms primarily. I have a good desktop microphone, so I don't need mic.

3) I primarily listen to electronic music, and a lot of my music is bass heavy. I don't prioritize bass though, and I find that headphones that do sound worse for it. I'd prefer a balance.

4) As far as isolation goes, I can live with it or without. I'm on the computer next to my girlfriend, so if she can't hear my music it's a plus, but if I can hear her talking to me or a clumsy axe murderer sneaking up on us, that's fine too.

I'm looking for something between $80 and $130 or so. $100 would be the sweet spot, but I'm not so short sighted that I can't be convinced to spend more on something that I will use everyday for what will hopefully be years.

I was looking at the ATH-AD500X. Are the 700X's significantly (read: $70) better? Are these 2 even things that fit my needs?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I bought the klipsch x4i this weekend and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. Most effortless quality fit I've had with any in-ear, nice balanced sound with maybe a bit too much midrange

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Cantorsdust posted:

My wife watches TV in the same room that I'm on the computer. I want a set of headphones that will absolutely minimize as much external sound as possible. Features I want:

1) comfortable for long periods of listening, so probably over the ear headphones
2) must absolutely block as much outside sound as possible
3) 5.1 surround sound
4) an attached microphone would be a plus, but I'm willing to give that up if I can get the others

Money is no object if it works and will last a while (okay maybe not something $1000+)

edit: I'm currently using a Logitech G35 which, despite its "gaming" branding, actually has very good sound, including surround sound, and is very comfortable.

You would be better off buying a sound card with 5.1 like an ASUS Xonar STX, and a good pair of stereo headphones. Then purchase a boom mic to attach to the headphones.

There are a bunch of good sealed headphones in the 200 - 300 dollar range that would meet your needs, without a mic.

I'm looking at purchasing the ATH-AG1 when it hits North American shores, it is selling in Asia and Australia already. Audiophile level headset with a very good microphone, looks very promising. But that might not come out for several months.

There are also IEM's which are very good at sealing out noise if you don't mind sticking thing in your ears those are a good choice. The audio quality is great, although the 3D imaging generally isn't.

These are probably along the lines off what you want http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/mmx-300.html

comments on the MMX-300 from head-fi http://www.head-fi.org/t/354811/beyerdynamic-mmx-300-or-sennheiser-pc350#post_4662705

That's probably what you are looking for with the sound quality, low end, and integrated microphone.

One more option would be V-MODA M-100 + XL pads + their BoomPro Mic.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 1, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Hamelekim posted:

You would be better off buying a sound card with 5.1 like an ASUS Xonar STX, and a good pair of stereo headphones. Then purchase a boom mic to attach to the headphones.

There are a bunch of good sealed headphones in the 200 - 300 dollar range that would meet your needs, without a mic.

I'm looking at purchasing the ATH-AG1 when it hits North American shores, it is selling in Asia and Australia already. Audiophile level headset with a very good microphone, looks very promising. But that might not come out for several months.

There are also IEM's which are very good at sealing out noise if you don't mind sticking thing in your ears those are a good choice. The audio quality is great, although the 3D imaging generally isn't.

These are probably along the lines off what you want http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/mmx-300.html

comments on the MMX-300 from head-fi http://www.head-fi.org/t/354811/beyerdynamic-mmx-300-or-sennheiser-pc350#post_4662705

That's probably what you are looking for with the sound quality, low end, and integrated microphone.

One more option would be V-MODA M-100 + XL pads + their BoomPro Mic.

I'm looking at the MMX-330 and it advertises 18db of noise attenuation. I'm not an expert at audio stuff, but my understanding is that 10db ~ 2x the perceived sound level, and an approximately 4x decrease in sound doesn't seem like enough to block out the TV fully. I did more research and found the Seinheiser 380 advertises 32db noise attenuation. Are they any good for listening? And none of these products talk about surround sound, which is important to me for gaming. I can really sense direction with my current Logitech G35s. If I get a decent sound card and plug my new headphones into that, will they give me the same experience?

Thanks for the initial suggestions, by the way. I know very little about audio stuff and I don't know enough to identify bullshit in reviews.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Shere posted:

I need new computer headphones, my Siberia V1's are falling apart after 5 years and I'm not all that impressed with the sound they produced anyway.

1) My chief concern, and the only real reason I stuck with the Siberia for so long, is comfort. I absolutely need something that I can wear for uninterrupted hours without feeling like my ears are smashed or my head is in a vice grip. I have a large head, and the Siberias are very, very, comfortable for the $70 I spent on them.
- For this reason, I'm looking for circumaural. I can't stand anything else for prolonged periods.

2) I'd be using it for 'gaming' but I'm not in any dire need of being able to hear which direction a smoke grenade is bouncing down a hallway on the opposite side of the map. I play MMOs and I'm listening to my own music and voice comms primarily. I have a good desktop microphone, so I don't need mic.

3) I primarily listen to electronic music, and a lot of my music is bass heavy. I don't prioritize bass though, and I find that headphones that do sound worse for it. I'd prefer a balance.

4) As far as isolation goes, I can live with it or without. I'm on the computer next to my girlfriend, so if she can't hear my music it's a plus, but if I can hear her talking to me or a clumsy axe murderer sneaking up on us, that's fine too.

I'm looking for something between $80 and $130 or so. $100 would be the sweet spot, but I'm not so short sighted that I can't be convinced to spend more on something that I will use everyday for what will hopefully be years.

I was looking at the ATH-AD500X. Are the 700X's significantly (read: $70) better? Are these 2 even things that fit my needs?

The Ad700 are one of the most recommended gaming cans for their positional accuracy and comfort. The Ad700x should be the same thing, I think they changed the pads a bit is all. Maybe tuned the housings slightly. I've not heard the Ad500 or the Ad500x/Ad700x, but I owned the Ad700 and they're great.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I have the A700x and it's really really good for gaming and general use, and quite comfortable as well. Highly recommend for their versatility and especially the soundstage. I definitely felt like playing games was easier because I could hear where things were happening. It's a cool effect if you are totally new to it, like I was. Shop around for them, because it seems like the prices varies a bit.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm looking at the MMX-330 and it advertises 18db of noise attenuation. I'm not an expert at audio stuff, but my understanding is that 10db ~ 2x the perceived sound level, and an approximately 4x decrease in sound doesn't seem like enough to block out the TV fully. I did more research and found the Seinheiser 380 advertises 32db noise attenuation. Are they any good for listening? And none of these products talk about surround sound, which is important to me for gaming. I can really sense direction with my current Logitech G35s. If I get a decent sound card and plug my new headphones into that, will they give me the same experience?

Thanks for the initial suggestions, by the way. I know very little about audio stuff and I don't know enough to identify bullshit in reviews.

What they advertise for noise reduction and what it actually does can differ depending on many factors including the shape of your head. Some people just have heads that don't fit the cups very well so they don't seal. Generally speaking with leather or pleather you are going to have a much better seal in general than any kind of cloth. But how much pressure the headphones put on your head also make a difference. Some headphones just don't seal well because they do not put much pressure on your head. You can generally fix this by bending the headrest to a tighter fit.

You also have to remember that you have headphones on reducing ambient sound and then you are listening to audio as well from your PC so together that will block out any ambient sounds around you.

With regards to the sound card, yeah it makes a huge difference. When I use my asus xonar sound card, or my Astro A40 mixamp, the virtual surround sound make a huge difference. You can actually hear direction, so it does work. If you get headphones that advertise 5.1 or 7.1, they are going to be crap for audio even if they provide you with surround.

In general an open headphone will image better than a closed, so the surround sound will be better, but in your case that won't work.

I was using a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580 headphones for my PC audio and they were really great at sealing out ambient noise. Plus they worked well with the virtual 5.1 from my sound card. The only issue is that they have no mic. I would definitely suggest getting a 5.1 soundcard and a headphone that images well to increase the 5.1 sound.

If I were you I would do some searching on http://www.head-fi.org/. That is the go to place for user reviews on headphones and IEMs. You are limited in sound quality when you look at headsets vs headphones. Integrated mics usually mean the audio quality is not great. It seems as though companies are starting to put out better stuff for PC gamers as they realize they want good positional audio and quality for gaming. Sennheiser also puts out some gaming headphones although I cannot speak to the quality of the built or the mic.

These are Sennheisers gaming headphones coming out this year which might be a good choice if you can wait http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/groupe/en/158/1 . Otherwise I would probably go with the Beyerdynamic headphones. If you can try to find a place that has them on display to try them out. If they don't have those particular headphones try to find the DT770's as those are the headphones that the gaming headset are based on.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Since gaming headsets have been brought up multiple times recently I figured I'd plug the headset solution I've been using for the past couple months which is Antlion Audio's ModMic. It's a flexible/adjustable boom mic with an adhesive base and magnetic clasp system that lets you attach it to just about any set of headphones you want. I've got mine setup with my AKG K240s. Sound quality is great for general game voice chat / mumble / skyping though you probably wouldn't want to be recording a podcast or something like that on it.

Only issue is that the company is still very young and is actively working on the design of the mic with all the inventory/supply issues that entails. I've got a 2.3 and love it but the 3.0 has issues with some sound cards and the 4.0 isn't out yet.

lovely photo of my setup:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 3, 2014

Nomad
Jan 21, 2008
Are you still there?
On the topic of the ATH-A900x: God I love them, but unfortunately, I'm having an issue with them. I send them through a Audioquest Dragonfly, but the headphones will literally pop in my ear and will cut out. I can run my hand down the cord and there's definitely the feeling of static in the line. I can't really isolate the cause either, except that it happens more often when I'm standing up from my desk, so I can only imagine it has to have something to do with discharge, but...

1. I've put the A900x through many different paces on a Sansa Zip Clip and my Galaxy S4. No popping.

2. I've then tested my Logitech UE6000s and Miles Davis Trumpets through the Dragonfly, with no popping. Multiple USB inputs.

Testing has been at least an hour on each the configurations, but then I put the two offenders together and they can spontaneously decide to disagree with one another. I don't want to hurt either of the components (or my own dumb self), but am I just missing a variable here, or is one more likely to be the offender than the other?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'd send back the Dragonfly, it sounds defective. That or your USB port is.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Oneiros posted:

Since gaming headsets have been brought up multiple times recently I figured I'd plug the headset solution I've been using for the past couple months which is Antlion Audio's ModMic. It's a flexible/adjustable boom mic with an adhesive base and magnetic clasp system that lets you attach it to just about any set of headphones you want. I've got mine setup with my AKG K240s. Sound quality is great for general game voice chat / mumble / skyping though you probably wouldn't want to be recording a podcast or something like that on it.

Only issue is that the company is still very young and is actively working on the design of the mic with all the inventory/supply issues that entails. I've got a 2.3 and love it but the 3.0 has issues with some sound cards and the 4.0 isn't out yet.

lovely photo of my setup:

You're the modmic guy?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hurry the gently caress up with the 4.0s because I want to give you my money you jerk

FYI the modmic owns everyone and you should get one if you want a headset solution because all the other cheap things I've used are of awful sound quality

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Shogunner posted:

You're the modmic guy?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hurry the gently caress up with the 4.0s because I want to give you my money you jerk

FYI the modmic owns everyone and you should get one if you want a headset solution because all the other cheap things I've used are of awful sound quality

I was sorta worried about that coming off like an advertisement but no, I'm not related to them at all. It is a great system though because gently caress buying a dedicated headset or another thing to set on my desk.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more solutions like the ModMic. When I was looking around everything was lapel-clip-on or freestanding. Must be a small market.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 3, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have an older modmic and it loving rules to be able to use whatever cans you like.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Is a modmic substantially better than the zalman clip on mic?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

astr0man posted:

No experience with the Zalman specifically but I've never used a lapel or in-line mic that hasn't sounded like crap and/or doesn't pick up every drat sound within a 50 foot radius. That's just a limitation of their positioning and the quality of the components they tend to use.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

astr0man posted:

Zalman sounds like butts and the modmic is crisp, doesn't matter for CSGO voip since it's awful anyway, but there will be an improvement on Teamspeak. It's worth it for the convenience of having them always on your gaming cans imo. I kept em on my 770s 24/7.

Oneiros posted:

I was sorta worried about that coming off like an advertisement but no, I'm not related to them at all. It is a great system though because gently caress buying a dedicated headset or another thing to set on my desk.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more solutions like the ModMic. When I was looking around everything was lapel-clip-on or freestanding. Must be a small market.

Oh I misread and thought you were actually the dude behind them, but yeah, they own.

I've been using this for a bit since I broke my original modmic and am waiting for the 4.0

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PMEM...ear++microphone

and it's working well so far, but for voip clients with stereo you'll want to VAC them into a mono line. The issue mainly being since it's right on your face and directly infront of you, it can and will pick up nose/mouth breathing regardless of fat neckbeard status. Push to talk I guess solves it (ugh). Also caused a slight depression in my 770s velour pads and you have to take and on and off.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Midorka posted:

The Ad700 are one of the most recommended gaming cans for their positional accuracy and comfort. The Ad700x should be the same thing, I think they changed the pads a bit is all. Maybe tuned the housings slightly. I've not heard the Ad500 or the Ad500x/Ad700x, but I owned the Ad700 and they're great.

AD700s are not trill if you're into electronic music. There's not much in that price range for what you're specifically looking for Shere.

I'd say be under budget and get some CAL's

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF00...ve+aurvana+live

or go over budget and get some Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohms

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Shogunner posted:

AD700s are not trill if you're into electronic music. There's not much in that price range for what you're specifically looking for Shere.

I'd say be under budget and get some CAL's

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF00...ve+aurvana+live

or go over budget and get some Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohms

Ah boy I feel like an idiot, I thought, for some reason, that he didn't listen to electronic music and wanted positional accuracy. AM reading comprehension!

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I was actually directed to the ATH M50S and thoroughly convinced by some very enthusiastic people that they'd be better for my needs and well worth the $130. The only thing I'm having trouble adjusting to is not really being able to hear myself speak very well.

I like the fact that they emphasize the very low bass without overwhelming the rest of my music, it's making me sort of appreciate certain things I hadn't noticed before. Also I've played quite a bit of FF14 with them so far and it does well with everything I'd need to hear in that. My one concern with them was how they'd fit. I had the opportunity to try them on before buying, and I guess I have tiny ears because while the headband is snug, the ear cups are very comfortable. I had read reviews with complaints about rubbing or just not fitting so that was really the only reason I strayed from them in the first place.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 4, 2014

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Does anyone have an opinion on the sennheiser 558 vs 598s? There's about a $60 price difference. FWIW my usual musical tastes are indie rock/alternative.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Shere posted:

I was actually directed to the ATH M50S

welp

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ahahahahahaha :getin:

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
I recently got a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P7s and I have to admit that they are incredible. I was set on a pair of Sennheiser momentums for a high end mobile set, but the comfort, sound and build of the p7 is miles ahead IMHO. Brilliant treble and perfect amount of low end, sounds great without an amp. FWIW the P7 build quality feels like its worth double the price. Extremely luxurious and plush stainless steel and leather without any plastic in sight. And these are truly circumaural vs the momentums, which ultimately were still on ear for me even at the larger size.

the best closed headphones that I have heard, and works flawlessly through the ps4 controller for gaming to boot. Tomb Raider never sounded better.

Chim fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 5, 2014

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I'm looking to get some relatively cheap earbuds with a microphone for when I'm doing a conference call from my cell/ listening to music while running. I was looking around and saw these, which are more or less exactly what I'm looking for ~if~ the quality is good. Does anyone here know anything about them?

Farchanter fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 5, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

MrBond posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the sennheiser 558 vs 598s? There's about a $60 price difference. FWIW my usual musical tastes are indie rock/alternative.

Get the HD558. They are cheaper and you can foam mod them to be the HD598.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Is Audio Technica coming out with something to replace the ATH-AD700 in the future? I see that the current model has been discontinued on their site: http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=6&subID=43&prodID=156

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

ATH-AD700X is the replacement for the 700's.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

jooky posted:

Is Audio Technica coming out with something to replace the ATH-AD700 in the future? I see that the current model has been discontinued on their site: http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=6&subID=43&prodID=156

ATH-AD700x

e:f;b

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Well, the 700x has been out for a while, and they're ~60% more expensive. I was wondering more along the lines is they were releasing something else at that same price point. I do appreciate the responses, though.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I've got a set of cheap IEMs and a set of $90 on-ear headphones. With the IEMs, I hear a hiss when the music is low or at a lull. I don't hear it with the on-ears. Is that a sign of the cheapness, or just an IEM thing?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Require More Fire posted:

I've got a set of cheap IEMs and a set of $90 on-ear headphones. With the IEMs, I hear a hiss when the music is low or at a lull. I don't hear it with the on-ears. Is that a sign of the cheapness, or just an IEM thing?

Neither.

You have an impedance mismatch between your IEMs and your output source.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, right now I'm using some Superlux HD681 headphones and I'm really itching for an upgrade, mainly because I really don't like the brightness of these cans. EQing them helps, but I want something that will satisfy me and last a long time without me wanting to upgrade. I listen to a fair bit of electronica and alt rock, but I try to listen to anything I can get my hands on (If anyone wants something more specific than that for a recommendation, here's my last.fm). I also play a fair bit of Counter Strike nowadays, so having a good soundstage (which I'm going to define as "better soundstage than my Superlux's") is pretty important for me.

My budget has a softcap of about $150 dollars, but I could justify spending up to 200 if I need to. I'm going to just be running these off my Xonar DG soundcard, so they'll also need to be easy to drive unless someone can figure out a way to fit an amp and/or DAC into this budget and it won't compromise the quality of the headphones. Isolation doesn't matter in the least bit to me, as I'm just going to be using these at home.

Also, I'm totally cool with buying used 'phones off Amazon or the Head-Fi forums (in fact I would prefer it because of how much I can save that way!), so if you want to suggest something that typically costs over 200 bucks and would best fit what I'd like, I can look around and see who's selling theirs for cheap.

(I hope I didn't leave anything crucial out... :ohdear:)

Oh and I used to have some CAL!s that I loved but they broke on me :( I have no clue if they're around the exact sound signature that I want, but hopefully that factoid trims the pool of possibilities a bit.

Demostrs fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Looking for a set of headphones sub 100$. Dont want in ear. Do not want something to big and bulky. Their main purpose will be to listen to music at work.

Found these so far;

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V55-BR-Style-Headphones/dp/B007BY3PNW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391701120&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+mdr

Does anyone have recommendations?