Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
You're all loving morons, shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
How about "spectrumy"? Which I got from a special needs teacher btw.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sekkira posted:

Autismal/Sperg is a perfect word. People who actually do have the disorder don't care for the word and those that self diagnose seem to be proud of it will gnash teeth at it being used as a derogatory term. Why are people proud to have a mental disorder?

Cool thanks for telling me how I feel about words.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Kajeesus posted:

What? It's still pretty insulting to actual autist spectrum people, for literally the same reason you shouldn't use retard as an insult.

Munchberger is the perfect word. We should start using that.

Except that mental retardation is a real thing, where autism is bullshit made up by parents with kids that have no social skills and still live in the basement playing MTG.

Also, vaccines.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
For the love of Jesus please go start a new thread to argue about words. You're going to get this one shut down. You people ruin everything.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so what's the PC word for 'retard strong'? Because as someone whose taught autistic children I promise you that's a real thing that needs a socially appropriate word.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ariza posted:

For the love of Jesus please go start a new thread to argue about words. You're going to get this one shut down. You people ruin everything.
Even so, someone will be happy to see this thread go and it will generate one last bit of schadenfreude with its dying breath.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Trainmonk posted:

I for one have never hosed a moron and I'm certainty not loving one as I read this thread.
Your mother is a very intelligent woman.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Feb 4, 2014

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Trainmonk posted:

You're all loving morons autistic spergs, shut up.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I thought this was a rumour at first but holy poo poo, it's actually true and I think its a great example of schadenfreude. One of the teachers at my school (I heard he's kind of an rear end) just got fired and replaced because he called the social justice teacher a "raging dyke" in front of an entire class.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Your school has social justice classes?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I see I have started a thing. I'm sorry.

^^Me reading this thread.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

kinmik posted:

I see I have started a thing. I'm sorry.

^^Me reading this thread.

What are the two Miami guys arguing about?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I took it last semester just to get some extra credit and calling it a trainwreck was an understatement. The teacher cries at pretty much everything and we spent most of it just sitting around and talking. Having a debate in there was impossible because the teacher can't keep anyone quiet, so we just tried to yell on top of each other.

We had a debate (that lasted three days) about whether Grand Theft Auto makes people violent and the teacher cried when no one agreed with her that it does. It was hilarious.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is he pulling a pin from a grenade? :ohdear:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I think it's just a rock.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Is he pulling a pin from a grenade? :ohdear:

Grade pins don't come out that easy.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

FrozenVent posted:

I went to a Jesuit Catholic high school and we had a social justice class. It was technically "Religion IV," but it was more of a philosophy class. It was the only one I liked of the series because the other classes were Biblical theology and a course on "conscience and morality," wherein we learned how we're all going to hell for smoking dope and jerking off. Social Justice, on the other hand, was where I first read Kafka and Camus. :allears:

Related schoolyard schadenfreude:

My high school's token redneck (well, it's Maine so let's be honest, biggest redneck) was expelled from my school two weeks before graduation. He stole a guitar from the music room that he heard was worth $2000 or something to that effect. He tried to fence it at literally the closest pawn shop to the school. :thumbsup:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Celery Face posted:

I took it last semester just to get some extra credit and calling it a trainwreck was an understatement. The teacher cries at pretty much everything and we spent most of it just sitting around and talking. Having a debate in there was impossible because the teacher can't keep anyone quiet, so we just tried to yell on top of each other.

We had a debate (that lasted three days) about whether Grand Theft Auto makes people violent and the teacher cried when no one agreed with her that it does. It was hilarious.

So basically it was Tumblr in high school form?

Gerrard looks like he pulled his leg there.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Celery Face posted:

What a raging dyke.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Celery Face posted:

I miss the tumblr thread :(

What even got the last one closed?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Catts posted:

I miss the tumblr thread :(

What even got the last one closed?

Goons.

Goons refusing to shut up about their opinions on trans people, if memory serves. Same as the others.

EDIT: Ohh, no, that one was some goons being really mad that feminism is still around, and the other goons arguing with them for some reason.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Feb 4, 2014

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Kajeesus posted:

Goons.

Goons refusing to shut up about their opinions on trans people, if memory serves. Same as the others.

EDIT: Ohh, no, that one was some goons being really mad that feminism is still around, and the other goons arguing with them for some reason.

Yeah it basically turned in to making fun of women and minorities instead of making fun of ableist kinkshamer demisexual otherkin aspies.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Sekkira posted:

Autismal/Sperg is a perfect word. People who actually do have the disorder don't care for the word and those that self diagnose seem to be proud of it will gnash teeth at it being used as a derogatory term. Why are people proud to have a mental disorder?

As a person on the spectrum I can tell you that it is annoying to see it used as a derogatory term for behaviour somebody thinks is stupid, but only a little. In terms of offensiveness when used in a negative context by an outgroup it's a lot closer to "Jew" or "Newfie" than something like "human being" or "friend of the family". It's only offensive if you're trying to be offensive by saying it. People I know on and off the spectrum use stuff like "sperging" to refer to our own and others' behaviour in a sort of playful or self-deprecating way but if you're obviously trying to piss people off by saying it, you're kind of being a dick. In most contexts I see it on this site it's pretty much an accurate description of whatever is happening. I wish people wouldn't immediately jump to "autistic" when they were trying to make fun of somebody for being ugly or dressing like an idiot but hey, I'm not going to yell at them for it, they're obviously being avant-garde and hilarious

Feel free to quote this as an example of schaudenfreude coming from inside the thread upon rereading it sounds really pretentious I just had the compulsion to respond to this incorrect idea because, you know

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Just a few months of working with kids with disabilities has completely changed my outlook on derogatory language and I feel bitterly ashamed of myself when I think about the stuff I used to say and still have to stop myself from saying. It only took one teary-eyed kid struggling with his hemiparesis to change something that I may have thought was funny into something tragic. Just don't use disabilities or health problems as derogatory terms. Literally not worth the off-chance of making life harder for anyone who already has the odds stacked against them.

Racist/sexist stuff is bad enough, but health issues is like pure loving sorrow for some people.

Baldbeard has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Feb 5, 2014

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Baldbeard posted:

Just a few months of working with kids with disabilities has completely changed my outlook on derogatory language and I feel bitterly ashamed of myself when I think about the stuff I used to say and still have to stop myself from saying. It only took one teary-eyed kid struggling with his hemiparesis to change something that I may have thought was funny into something tragic. Just don't use disabilities or health problems as derogatory terms. Literally not worth the off-chance of making life harder for anyone who already has the odds stacked against them.

Racist/sexist stuff is bad enough, but health issues is like pure loving sorrow for some people.

Totally agree.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Bill Nye destroying angry stupid creationists live on Youtube right now itt. Thread in GBS, it's the sweetest schadenfreude ever.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Elfface posted:

Should we call it Asshausen or Munchburgers?

Assmunch.

Beavis and Butthead beat us to it by a couple decades.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Here's 45 minutes of people doing the cinnaman challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ6bzrqjo4M

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
As much as I like the idea of the cinnamon challenge, I just can't watch people choking and struggling not to puke.

But, that said, I heartily encourage all idiots out there to try it so that I can continue to smile at the idea of you all choking and struggling not to puke because you shove a goddamn tablespoon on cinnamon into your maws.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So basically it was Tumblr in high school form?
Yeah, except the teacher was almost 40.

A snake oil salesman gets chewed out on Dragons Den.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY9ub-rIlyY

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Kareem posted:

Okay, so what's the PC word for 'retard strong'? Because as someone whose taught autistic children I promise you that's a real thing that needs a socially appropriate word.
Hulktard.

Now post schadenfreude!
The Superbowl is still giving out plenty...

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

:wtc:

Is there some other meaning of Newfie beyond "From Newfoundland" that I'm unaware of? That's like me getting pissed at being called an Albertan.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I asked my son, who's eleven and autistic if he was hurt by people using the word sperg or aspie. He said sperg is funny, aspie irritates him and retard really hurts his feelings. I told him why I was asking and that you're all arguing about it on the Internet. He said "Why are Internet people sperging about that? Don't they have families?

So there you go, my kid on the spectrum thinks you're all bigger spergs than him.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

:wtc:

Is there some other meaning of Newfie beyond "From Newfoundland" that I'm unaware of? That's like me getting pissed at being called an Albertan.

The stereotype is that all Newfies are dumb hicks. A lot of people from Newfoundland use the term to describe themselves, but it can be used in a derogatory way, too.
Disclaimer: obviously not all Newfies are dumb hicks. Though there are some who I can't understand a drat word from.

edit: you filthy Albertan oil-sands motherfucker

cowboythreespeech has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Feb 5, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stairs posted:

I asked my son, who's eleven and autistic if he was hurt by people using the word sperg or aspie. He said sperg is funny, aspie irritates him and retard really hurts his feelings. I told him why I was asking and that you're all arguing about it on the Internet. He said "Why are Internet people sperging about that? Don't they have families?

So there you go, my kid on the spectrum thinks you're all bigger spergs than him.

I like your kid. You should take him for pizza just because he's awesome.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

cowboythreespeech posted:

The stereotype is that all Newfies are dumb hicks. A lot of people from Newfoundland use the term to describe themselves, but it can be used in a derogatory way, too.
Disclaimer: obviously not all Newfies are dumb hicks. Though there are some who I can't understand a drat word from.

edit: you filthy Albertan oil-sands motherfucker

That's a stereotype. It's like if I claim New Yorkers are brash pushy assholes. Doesn't make calling someone a New Yorker a real insult.

I should add, my grandma was a Newfie, called herself a Newfie. Same with my band teacher and also an exroommate. Just never heard literally anyone say Newfie as a pejorative, without a regular insult as a prefix.

As penance for continuing this side-track, I'll say, for those who enjoy the suffering of the ill, I just found out today that my flu might be H1N1 and so my doc quarantined me at home until results from the nasal swab are back on Friday. loving yay.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Apr 2, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Trainmonk posted:

Which used to me a medical term for a certain level of mental retardation. I think plan old "dumb" is the only one that's totally clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Stairs posted:

From the mouth of babes...

Make sure to keep us informed with weekly updates as to what's going on.

• Locked thread