Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

What gets really crazy when it comes to expenses is how much some people will pay for their children's equipment. I don't know how old you guys are or what but in the pickups and league that I play in there are guys in their 30's and 40's that have kids old enough to play and they'll drop $200+ on skates, $100 on a stick, stuff that these kids will grow out before they get it home from the store. I don't know how they can afford to buy their kids new equipment especially when there is plenty of used stuff out there that is like new because kids grow out of it so fast.

E: and that's on top of the "special leagues" they pay $1,000 to play in per season.

Welcome to my life. Just dropped $99 on a pair of Easton's for my oldest. I expect he should outgrow them in another month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bigbillystyle posted:

What gets really crazy when it comes to expenses is how much some people will pay for their children's equipment. I don't know how old you guys are or what but in the pickups and league that I play in there are guys in their 30's and 40's that have kids old enough to play and they'll drop $200+ on skates, $100 on a stick, stuff that these kids will grow out before they get it home from the store. I don't know how they can afford to buy their kids new equipment especially when there is plenty of used stuff out there that is like new because kids grow out of it so fast.

E: and that's on top of the "special leagues" they pay $1,000 to play in per season.

I am grateful to those people, because they are the real market for most gear that fits me.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

sellouts posted:

Also re: short benches, I am a huge huge fan now of paying a premium to run 10 guys. There's always someone missing so add the rest of the roster spots with subs and collect cash from them when you need it. Issuing refunds to the team at the end of the year is awesome and everyone is happy. Our team is rolling with 10 and everyone has more ice and more fun.
10 is the only way to fly. We keep a 10 man roster and like 6 guys on a call if needed list. We occasionally end up with 9, and sometimes we accidentally end up with 12 which really sucks but more times than not we get our perfect 10.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I am grateful to those people, because they are the real market for most gear that fits me.

I have a female friend that has been getting hand me down equipment from 12-14 year olds for the last like 4 years or so because the sizing was perfect. I think she's out of donors in that age range though and she'll have to go back to hunting stuff out on Craigslist or Play it Again Sports.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

I have a female friend that has been getting hand me down equipment from 12-14 year olds for the last like 4 years or so because the sizing was perfect. I think she's out of donors in that age range though and she'll have to go back to hunting stuff out on Craigslist or Play it Again Sports.

Lady on my new team is easily under 5 feet tall. Was chatting with her, she said almost all her gear was free or at least used because she got stuff from friends who have kids. I got jealous.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Scrub check in! I'm 1/2 way through my 8 week learn to skate program! I'm at a spot where I feel comfortable going as hard as I can straight, and turning as hard as I can trying to keep that speed. Washing out is actually hilarious to me. My focuses right now are; trying to get some really tight turns and 360's around cones without scrubbing speed, skating backwards (holy gently caress this is hard to keep that balance point), and stopping. I can't reliably get 1 edge to scrub/scrap/whatever its called. I can kinda snowplow but generally the edge just hops on the ice or bites and I end up turning. Also getting better turning on 1 skate, need to get some morning open skate time to have some room to casually use the inside and outside edges on 1 foot. That's a hard thing to practice in the narrow lane we get in the class.

Having fun and making progress every time I hit the ice though, hoping I can join a league or something by end of summer.

edit: What do you guys think about these Easton pants on sale? Gonna order up some pants and socks this weekend. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-clearance-hockey-pants-sr.html

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 2, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Lady on my new team is easily under 5 feet tall. Was chatting with her, she said almost all her gear was free or at least used because she got stuff from friends who have kids. I got jealous.

Didn't know you knew Topo

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

The women on beta are all around 5 feet as well. I lined up against one of them on a faceoff after a goal and I could see clear over her head easily. Haven't talked to them about sourcing gear though.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Didn't know you knew Topo

Ew I'd never wear hand me down crap from someone's gross kid.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

Prices always go up, just because and don't ask questions. The price hike does seem a bit steep but they also seem to be putting more into the construction.. even the cheapest gloves at the local hockey store blow my current mitts out of the water.

I mean, I understand there will always be a baseline level of inflation. But...these are literally the same gloves. The aesthetics might be different, but they are otherwise the same in every other respect. It would be like if next year's Madden was literally just a roster update and suddenly cost $15 more.

sellouts posted:

...Now top of the line is like 199.

The new Re-Akt 100 is going to be $270.

I wonder at what point the joke about the spoiled kid wanting the pony becomes the spoiled kid wanting a pair of skates.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I remember the top of the line gloves when I first started looking at hockey gear (maybe...1992?) were 129.99 (they were Easton Air and I wanted them). All the other non-skate stuff has stayed about the same since then, so adjusting for inflation it is quite a bit cheaper than it used to be.

Sticks and skates have gotten more expensive, but I really don't think other stuff has.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

bewbies posted:

I remember the top of the line gloves when I first started looking at hockey gear (maybe...1992?) were 129.99 (they were Easton Air and I wanted them). All the other non-skate stuff has stayed about the same since then, so adjusting for inflation it is quite a bit cheaper than it used to be.

Sticks and skates have gotten more expensive, but I really don't think other stuff has.
And helmets.

I haven't been playing since 1992. 2008 for me, so I don't know what it was like before then, but since then, there seems to be a consistent $10-20 increase, at minimum, in every generation for most protective stuff. The Vapor XXXX shoulders were ~$110, the X:60's ~$130 and the APX ~$140. The X:60 gloves retailed ~$150 and the APX gloves are $190.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Looks like I may get a chance to play against the Wounded Warriors team in Maryland on Saturday. I'm not sure if this is part of the American Heroes Challenge or not, but could be fun!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Got the new stick today. I wasn't expecting such a wide box.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Fingers, you playing in the upcoming season at the Icehouse?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Got my RSII on Friday and played my first game with it last night.

Holy jesus what a difference a stick makes. The few weeks prior I was using an S13 or something and it felt terrible. I couldn't feel the puck and everything I tried to do just came off terrible. Passes were flubbed, shots were crappier than usual.

Last night everything felt amazing. I was receiving passes better, and definitely sending them better. Only one pass went wayward and that was simply cause I tried to make a pass to the slot with a guy who's new to our team and I put it on the wrong side of his body because I didn't know if he was a righty or lefty.

Thankfully it was also my first week back from spraining my MCL a few weeks ago. It felt pretty weird to play while wearing my knee brace but overall it was good. I felt a slight twinge when one of their players basically pushed me off the puck as I soccer-kicked the puck to keep it in their zone. Just felt odd getting up but I was able to finish the game off without any major issues.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Fingers, you playing in the upcoming season at the Icehouse?

No, I still don't have a team. I had to miss the tryout Thursday as I'm still recovering from spraining my ankle/foot a couple weeks ago (not hockey related). Just got back on the ice Saturday.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

real_scud posted:

Got my RSII on Friday and played my first game with it last night.

Holy jesus what a difference a stick makes. The few weeks prior I was using an S13 or something and it felt terrible. I couldn't feel the puck and everything I tried to do just came off terrible. Passes were flubbed, shots were crappier than usual.

Last night everything felt amazing. I was receiving passes better, and definitely sending them better. Only one pass went wayward and that was simply cause I tried to make a pass to the slot with a guy who's new to our team and I put it on the wrong side of his body because I didn't know if he was a righty or lefty.

Got my pair or RSIIs last week and put up 1 goal / 5 assists in 3 games over the weekend :hf:

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008
Does anyone use Superfeet? I've been skating for a year toying with the idea of getting them. I find myself riding my inside edges hard. They wear more than outside, is this normal? Is this something superfeet would correct? Or is it mainly arch support?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use superfeet, but I didn't find they helped much with skating technique.. the only reason I use them is because I could feel rivets in the stock liners my skates came with and the superfeet prevent that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shdwdmg posted:

Does anyone use Superfeet? I've been skating for a year toying with the idea of getting them. I find myself riding my inside edges hard. They wear more than outside, is this normal? Is this something superfeet would correct? Or is it mainly arch support?

This sounds like an ankle strength and balance issue.

Also how are you determining wear?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Could just be technique, beginning skaters tend to turn on just one inside edge and not use their foot with the outside edge.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

sellouts posted:

This sounds like an ankle strength and balance issue.

Also how are you determining wear?

I have them checked at the proshop once a month. After first month skating the inside edges had knicks, and were worn a bit more. A year plus later it is more balanced. I spend about 30-60 minutes a week working on outside edges, to build up ankle strength.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Have you taken a class? I think Chemmy nails it. It's hard to diagnose without seeing it though. Maybe a quick private lesson with a local coach can help you? I don't think insoles will have anything to do with it though.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

sellouts posted:

Have you taken a class? I think Chemmy nails it. It's hard to diagnose without seeing it though. Maybe a quick private lesson with a local coach can help you? I don't think insoles will have anything to do with it though.

On my third learn to skate class. I almost exclusively work on edge control.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

PS Sakic > Yzerman

Fingers McGee posted:

No, I still don't have a team. I had to miss the tryout Thursday as I'm still recovering from spraining my ankle/foot a couple weeks ago (not hockey related). Just got back on the ice Saturday.

Oh that sucks :(

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Move to Cleveland we could use another skater (or two) on our beginner's team.

We're not exactly short benched, but pretty close to it for a team of older dudes. I did seriously ask the captain if I could bring in Hockles and if anyone would notice he was a sub, wearing someone else's jersey (who has not played at all)

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Its ok I need to drop some weight and kick my rear end into shape, get on the ice as much as possible. Plus I can save up some cash and be ready to go for the summer league.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

PS Sakic > Yzerman
True enough! The draft was a breeze for me though. Show up, sign in, get asked what league I'm looking to be in and find out that the D League doesn't participate in the draft :downs: (despite the website saying that all skaters without a league history need to attend the draft...but I should have realized that the instructional league doesn't need to attend draft night).

Can't wait for Sunday :D

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If anyone is looking for skates there are a bunch of pro stock APX and TotalOne / TotalOne NXG's up for 250 bids / 350 buy it now on eBay.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

sellouts posted:

If anyone is looking for skates there are a bunch of pro stock APX and TotalOne / TotalOne NXG's up for 250 bids / 350 buy it now on eBay.

Nothing in size 13. Bogus.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Size 14.5 shoes? drat dude. Yeah you might be out of luck

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm now an official card carrying beer leaguer (no, really, they give out id cards.. it's how they manage suspensions, no card, no play).

Random group of the slowest worst passing guys playing in the lowest level, but hey it's a start.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If any of us weren't lovely we wouldn't pay to play.

Enjoy, have fun, don't take things too seriously. Drink beers with your teammates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I don't drink but I'll sit around and make dirty jokes. Sippin on my water bottle. :downs:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hockey: It brings people together. :)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Team Captain announced that we might have a sponsor for the rest of this season providing $350/$400 for a new team jersey with their slogan or whatever on it and then depending on our 'Level of commitment' (how much we drink at their bar) might kick in $500 for league fee next season. On hearing this wondrous news we decide to completely poo poo the bed and lose 7-1 :suicide: whatever free jerseys own and slightly cheaper bar beer and snacks is fine by me.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

SAS Hockey Player Thread: If any of us weren't lovely we wouldn't pay to play.

wisdom.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Thanks to working a shitton of overtime this week and the week before I ordered another RSII as a backup since HockeyMonkey had more in stock for $120

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
News: my team is coming up on a solid year since we've won a game

Views: goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Team Captain announced that we might have a sponsor for the rest of this season providing $350/$400 for a new team jersey with their slogan or whatever on it and then depending on our 'Level of commitment' (how much we drink at their bar) might kick in $500 for league fee next season. On hearing this wondrous news we decide to completely poo poo the bed and lose 7-1 :suicide: whatever free jerseys own and slightly cheaper bar beer and snacks is fine by me.

We have a bar as a sponsor and they kick in a little bit of money, I'm unsure how much, but anybody who goes down to the bar after games gets free pizza which is cool too. What's weird is they also give free pizza to all the other teams that come down too but they probably spend twice as much on booze than the bar is losing on pizza so I guess its a win win for the bar.