Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Crowetron posted:

Actually, having China bump into the other competitors outside the area would be a neat way to flesh out both her and the rival fighters' characters.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the reason for this is that unlike Reiji, anyone else would ask her what her name is if they interacted with her for any significant period of time and then the jig would be up!

Well, we'll see, given this was in the next episode preview:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
HA!

I like the Master's taste.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm assuming the show will be 24 to 26 episodes long but there's only 5 tournament fights remaining:

Meijin v Renato Bros
Aila v Fellini
Sei/Reiji v Nils
Sei/Reiji v Aila
Sei/Reiji v Meijin

I'm thinking there's a good chance that they might actually put the Aila v Fellini fight in at the end of the next episode or the start of the one after, not as a 10 second Fellini curbstomp, but as a 2 or 3 minute clash to show Aila being pushed for the first time by a tough opponent so as to save yet one more episodes worth of content for non-tournament stuff. Once Nils is beaten he's probably going to get desperate and break in to PPSE, which will probably help push Mashita and Ms Baker along on whatever plans they're making at the moment. I'm also kind of hoping that the Gunpla mafia/police aren't just a throwaway joke, but come back as part of the eventual plans between Mashita/Ms Baker, causing something to happen to interrupt the final fight between Sei/Reiji and Meijin around the episode 20 mark so that we have a couple of episodes of everyone teaming up to take on the Gunpla mafia while a bit more of Reiji's past comes to light. That way you can end the show on somewhat the same foot it started with Sei and Reiji battling Yuuki, having discarded his Meijin status due to the last few episodes of content and fighting as himself against his friends in front of the world for the championship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I finally got around to watching this week's episode and... I guess Mao must have polled pretty low or something because it was an extremely low-effort episode.

I think the thing that stood out the most was that it was probably the biggest Budget episode of the season. They didn't animate a drat thing unless they absolutely had to. The units barely moved, the characters barely moved, tons of still pans, the entire "focus on an unmoving set of leaves while grunting sounds play", the whole nine yards. It's pretty disappointing that they spent so much time setting him up and they gave him a pretty wet fart of an episode to go out on. The Maoh Saber vs Build Knuckle just looked awful. (Which is a shame because the Maoh Saber in concept is great.)

It also was an entire episode of Mao's annoying-as-hell accent which admittedly didn't endear it to me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I was seriously expecting the Build Knuckle arm to blow up, Mao to go "I did it!" and then Reiji to yell "NOT YET" and gut punch him with the other arm while everyone looks on in shock.

Mao gives me major Sai Sici vibes and pretty much everything about this episode was basically the Sai Sici episode of the G Gundam tournament, right down to it being a one-sided slaughter.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Crowetron posted:

He forgot the important middle step of wearing a big goofy mask while fighting.

I don't know, those sunglasses have ridiculous enough arms that it might count as a mask

FortMax posted:

HA!

I like the Master's taste.
So I know they're parodying G-Gundam but what does this say exactly?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Gunpla Shingyo School

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tsob posted:

I'm assuming the show will be 24 to 26 episodes long but there's only 5 tournament fights remaining:

Meijin v Renato Bros
Aila v Fellini
Sei/Reiji v Nils
Sei/Reiji v Aila
Sei/Reiji v Meijin

I'm thinking there's a good chance that they might actually put the Aila v Fellini fight in at the end of the next episode or the start of the one after, not as a 10 second Fellini curbstomp, but as a 2 or 3 minute clash to show Aila being pushed for the first time by a tough opponent so as to save yet one more episodes worth of content for non-tournament stuff. Once Nils is beaten he's probably going to get desperate and break in to PPSE, which will probably help push Mashita and Ms Baker along on whatever plans they're making at the moment. I'm also kind of hoping that the Gunpla mafia/police aren't just a throwaway joke, but come back as part of the eventual plans between Mashita/Ms Baker, causing something to happen to interrupt the final fight between Sei/Reiji and Meijin around the episode 20 mark so that we have a couple of episodes of everyone teaming up to take on the Gunpla mafia while a bit more of Reiji's past comes to light. That way you can end the show on somewhat the same foot it started with Sei and Reiji battling Yuuki, having discarded his Meijin status due to the last few episodes of content and fighting as himself against his friends in front of the world for the championship.

There's also Reiji vs Mashita/Baker in Ms Sazabi and Exia Dark Matter too.

e: wait, tournament fights, nevermind

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I finally got around to watching this week's episode and... I guess Mao must have polled pretty low or something because it was an extremely low-effort episode.

I saw it as a smart use of budget actually. Fellini's fight got all of the money since the Fenice hasn't had a chance to really advertise its HG show its stuff, and Fellini was established to be an equal to Reiji a while back so to live up to that the fight had to be amazing. Meanwhile Mao's more closely tied to Sei than Reiji so a knockdown, dragout fight would be inappropriate, the X Maou has gotten two big fight scenes and numerous shots of it firing the Satellite Cannon to impress the kids, and the GX is a design that can get a lot of mileage out of standing still thanks to the Satellite System. Furthermore we have at minimum six big fights coming up, and I highly doubt BF has the budget for all of that. Somebody had to take the fall, and Mao is honestly the most qualified.

Though the series of still shots of saber clashes played to the sound of metal clashing was pretty hilarious.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 4, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still a bit disappointed that we didn't get at least a short scene of the other guys we hadn't seen before, like Raman Karn or Justin Fox (Go Canada!)

Ah well, episode was still great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I saw it as a smart use of budget actually. Fellini's fight got all of the money since the Fenice hasn't had a chance to really advertise its HG show its stuff, and Fellini was established to be an equal to Reiji a while back so to live up to that the fight had to be amazing. Meanwhile Mao's more closely tied to Sei than Reiji so a knockdown, dragout fight would be inappropriate, the X Maou has gotten two big fight scenes and numerous shots of it firing the Satellite Cannon to impress the kids, and the GX is a design that can get a lot of mileage out of standing still thanks to the Satellite System. Furthermore we have at minimum six big fights coming up, and I highly doubt BF has the budget for all of that. Somebody had to take the fall, and Mao is honestly the most qualified.

Though the series of still shots of saber clashes played to the sound of metal clashing was pretty hilarious.

It wasn't just the lack of movement though. There were a lot of scenes which really just looked bad. The Maoh Saber vs Build Knuckle stands out because there's no real effort put into it. There are a lot of ways that fight could have ended in a more dynamic and interesting fashion even with a limit budget but they just settled for "still frame of the two clashing, beam saber vanishes, Reiji punches him afterwards while he doesn't even try to dodge."

Build Fighters has stood out for having good choreography even in some of the more budget episodes as long as it was two guys fighting but here it was pretty bush-league.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well Mao didn't even try to dodge there because he was in complete disbelief that his trump card lost. The final clash itself definitely could have been done better (could have at least shown us the Build Knuckle impacting!), but there was nothing wrong with that part.

Honestly though I thought the choreography was alright, despite the budget. But maybe I'm just too excited about the :swoon: satellite cannon sword :swoon: to really look at the thing objectively. v:shobon:v

EDIT: "fought" instead of "thought" is a pretty hilarious typo.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 4, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'll admit, after they broke through the Mao Sword, I was really hoping for a proper Shining Finger style head grab and crush.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Really not disappointed in seeing Luang crushed so easily since I thought he was one of the least developed and least interesting characters.

Was really expecting there to be an scene where the the Gundam X Maoh and Build Strike floated in space with the pilots exchanging last words before the X, sparking dangerously, exploded in typical Gundam fashion. The lack of a scene was kind of a cop out in my opinion. Was my favorite episode so far though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'll admit, after they broke through the Mao Sword, I was really hoping for a proper Shining Finger style head grab and crush.

Me too. Would have instantly redeemed the whole fight for me.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Faltion posted:

Really not disappointed in seeing Luang crushed so easily since I thought he was one of the least developed and least interesting characters.

Was really expecting there to be an scene where the the Gundam X Maoh and Build Strike floated in space with the pilots exchanging last words before the X, sparking dangerously, exploded in typical Gundam fashion. The lack of a scene was kind of a cop out in my opinion. Was my favorite episode so far though.

While a slow acoustic version of either Imagination>Reality or Half Pants Spirit plays in the background. I have a tear in my eye just thinking about it...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well on the bright side at least Mao has good taste in Gundam Women. Can't vouch for his master though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Who are you to deny an old man his love of big boobs?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It was amazing how much better SEED characters looked in the Build Fighters art style actually.

On an unrelated tangent, I can't wait for the BDs to come out. Higher resolution stills from BF would make really good wallpapers.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah they should've put the build quality aspect at the forefront of the fight. Something like an endurance fight or constant 1-upping until Mao's gundam broke from all the strain or a defective part.

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 4, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kild posted:

Yeah they should've put the build quality aspect at the forefront of the fight. Something like an endurance fight or constant 1-upping until Mao's gundam broke from all the strain or a defective part.

They kind of did this. The Maoh Saber failed because the GX Maoh started falling apart at the seams while the SBS was holding together just fine using the RG System.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

They kind of did this. The Maoh Saber failed because the GX Maoh started falling apart at the seams while the SBS was holding together just fine using the RG System.

Yeah but it should've been longer and more climatic. The fight lasted like 90 seconds?

e: Like he realizes the solar panel beam doesn't work after a while then combines the satellite with the solar panels into a giant fuckoff beam that he's not expecting them to dodge. They lose an arm or something but still come out alive but the recoil was so strong it started cracking his gundam and destroyed his gun. He pulls out his Mao Sword but they use RG mode and hold onto the blade stopping it with their remaining hand trying to push it back but Mao's gundam explodes from all the strain on a defective part or something.

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 4, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really think that for Mao it should have been a case where it was flat-out outpiloted. He is a builder who happens to be a fighter and his big emphasis is on building machines as good as Sei. Basically they should have been on the opposite end of the Felini fight where they had a better robot but Felini had more experience. Reiji should have been able to outpilot Mao (and the episode kinda tips its hat at this) and the ending of the fight isn't "Mao's gimmick loses" but "Reiji outpilots Mao's gimmick" or "Sei finds a way through it" instead of just "I was more powerful."

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Reiji should have been able to outpilot Mao (and the episode kinda tips its hat at this) and the ending of the fight isn't "Mao's gimmick loses" but "Reiji outpilots Mao's gimmick" or "Sei finds a way through it" instead of just "I was more powerful."

It seems they could have had him like, rush up the satellite sword and hit him with his other hand during the clash. Maybe show the blocking arm buckling and burning up a bit, arms are easy to replace

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kanos posted:

Both the X Maoh and Star Build were cracking under the strain, to be exact. The X Maoh's whole body was coming apart, in comparison to just the Star Build's right arm and shoulder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRynhjiIsM#t=1196

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Eej posted:

Well on the bright side at least Mao has good taste in Gundam Women. Can't vouch for his master though.

I think Emma Sheen is one of my favorite Gundam women too. Although Diana from Turn A is probably just slightly above her.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think Emma Sheen is one of my favorite Gundam women too. Although Diana from Turn A is probably just slightly above her.

Tieria is the best Gundam Girl.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It this show doesn't have a shining finger or school of the undefeated of the east speech I will flip a table. Sei and his dad having a choreographed undefeated builders of the east moment is all I want.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Was this the first time they used the RG system and Sei didn't have to rebuild the entire unit afterwards?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TARDISman posted:

Was this the first time they used the RG system and Sei didn't have to rebuild the entire unit afterwards?

It was also the first time they could actually use the RG system at anything but minimum power. Every other time we've seen it they were already broken and beaten, so it was at diminished effect.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And the translated version.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm almost certain it's not what's actually being said, but all I can think of when I look at that is Setsuna finding out Exia cheated on him with Graham and just going into catatonic shock.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm Gundam not Tekkaman

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

New episode here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFKgiaYIsQ

In summation, :neckbeard:. This may have surpassed the Zaku Amazing and Fenice fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is the Kampfer Amazing because he's A Meijin?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, dat 'Time, Be Still' reference.

Also, next episode looks like we'll see the triumphant return of Caro-rain.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
That was a great tactical fight.

That's no Trans-Am boy, that's an EXAM! I like how the Kampfer Amazing channeled the Alex with its surprise chain gun

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man, those rear end in a top hat brothers are great! And it makes sense how the Abigorbine would lose to them: while Luang Dallara is a strong,he isn't exactly the the thinking type.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy hell, Blaze Dragon is gonna love this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I don't know how to categorize this battle. I can't say its the best battle thus far because the tone was unlike all the other fights. Not just tactical... guerrilla tactics.

The Renato Bros were able to completely dominate from the onset of the match.

Definitely going to pick up the GM Sniper kit.

• Locked thread