Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

So what kind of side impact rating does packing tape come with?

Depends on the mil you use :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I bought a pair of whistle tips off eBay that I was planning on putting on a friend's (auto) FRS that he kept bragging about because people would compliment his car. But, I'm not sure if they will mount inconspicuously with the stock exhaust tips, not fall off and create road debris, or totally piss him off.

Is this a terrible prank?

High school friend got one of those prank whistles and snuck it onto his dad's car. His dad is one of those drill sergeant levels of strict when you gently caress up, but when you successfully prank him he's pretty awesome about it.

At any rate when he started the car in the morning, it was making a loud shrieking whistle. Car had a turbo on it and he was positive it was about to destroy itself.. the whistle sort of kind of sounded like a death whine even though it was coming from the wrong end of the car.

Took him a few minutes to realize the noise was coming from the rear of the car and all was well, but up until that point the only thing louder than the car was his spitting and cursing.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

xzzy posted:

Roughly equivalent to the front clip of a Tata Nano.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

surebet posted:

Ugh, long story short a ~30 year female old high school acquaintance with what appears to be a normal life just announced a new relationship on facebook. Curious, I checked the guys out.

Hundreds of photos of this:

What, is he buying wheels on an installment plan or something?

e: As for complaining about noise: I live next to a church that will ring its bell every 15 minutes, and go on for like a minute every full hour, from 7am to 10pm, even on weekends. I still manage to sleep. Greetings from old Europe, tell your neighbors to stop being babbies.

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 5, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghost Farts posted:

What, is he buying wheels on an installment plan or something?

I know you're joking but this is a thing, local wheel & tire place will let you put them on layaway and you can pick them up as you have each one paid off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crotch Fruit posted:

What's the problem? Those sound like pretty bad rear end neighbors. Raising your own chickens is the only way to get fresh eggs and I would sure do it in the driveway instead of letting a headless chicken's carcass run around hosing down the kitchen with blood.

Well, I don't think it was a live chicken before he hacked the head off. I think it was just a freshly plucked bird from the nearby Asian market.

We are not allowed to raise chickens on residential property in my city - there were some arguments for it from hipster whackjobs who wanted to hoard chickens in their backyard.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

xzzy posted:

Depends if they used bubble-wrap too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Depends if they used bubble-wrap too.

Supplemental Restraint Surface

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Well, I don't think it was a live chicken before he hacked the head off. I think it was just a freshly plucked bird from the nearby Asian market.

We are not allowed to raise chickens on residential property in my city - there were some arguments for it from hipster whackjobs who wanted to hoard chickens in their backyard.

That's a law in a town next to me, what the law doesn't cover are Guinea Hens, and those fuckers are mean technocolored doom birds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Supplemental Restraint Surface

My car has over two hundred airbags in this door alone! :smuggo:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Rhyno posted:

I know you're joking but this is a thing, local wheel & tire place will let you put them on layaway and you can pick them up as you have each one paid off.

At this point capitalism is either about to collapse dramatically or has achieved perfect victory and I have no idea which it is.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ghost Farts posted:

At this point capitalism is either about to collapse dramatically or has achieved perfect victory and I have no idea which it is.

Uh, what? Are you too good to finance your wheels?

(note: has bought wheels with a 0% APR card in the past)

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Financing and putting them on one at a time? Definitely.

The previous post might have also been slightly hyperbolic.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ghost Farts posted:

Financing and putting them on one at a time? Definitely.

The previous post might have also been slightly hyperbolic.

Yeah, if you're financing rims at anything greater than 0%, you probably shouldn't be buying rims.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, if you're financing rims at anything greater than 0%, you probably shouldn't be buying rims.

Why should the fact that they shouldn't waste money stop them now? It hasn't before.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Sound advice for Automotive Insanity: The Reasonable Financial Decisions Funhouse

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Uh, what? Are you too good to finance your wheels?

I always wondered how that worked. Paying them off one at a time makes sense.

OTOH I prefer to view it as though he's had three wheels repoed. :)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

This happened today. :smith:

Scraping the rest of my windows with just the scraper piece is terrible car stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I try to remember to replace my ice scraper every October, because they're all cheaply made and fall apart at the worst times.

I also keep one of those tiny single hand scrapers with the spare tire just so I have a backup. Back in the day we'd use cassette tape cases as emergency ice scrapers, but that tech is dead and gone.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xzzy posted:

I try to remember to replace my ice scraper every October, because they're all cheaply made and fall apart at the worst times.

I also keep one of those tiny single hand scrapers with the spare tire just so I have a backup. Back in the day we'd use cassette tape cases as emergency ice scrapers, but that tech is dead and gone.

I'd say use your driver's license, but that really only works on frost.

It also suuuuuuucks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I used my ID badge on Tuesday and drat near lost a couple fingats from frostbite. Was 20 minutes into my drive home before I could feel them again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just carry my ice scraper inside with me when I get to work or home and toss it under my desk. Warm plastic doesn't break as easily and I don't have to dig into my snowy car to get it, win/win.

My drat windshield cracked from the cold this morning, not sure why it handled a bucket of warm water to thaw the ice just fine a few weeks ago but grew a 1 foot crack today while I was driving, 20 minutes after I turned the defrost on. Dammit.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ec...CFQxqfgodMmAAkA

Post terrible products that might actually be awesome ITT

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I just carry my ice scraper inside with me when I get to work or home and toss it under my desk. Warm plastic doesn't break as easily and I don't have to dig into my snowy car to get it, win/win.

I do this too. Converted my old office one person at a time.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Every winter I tell myself I really need to buy a ice scraper, but instead I just use my AAA card. Works pretty well for the occasional iced up windows we get in Seattle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Different weather conditions create different types of frost, there's some that bonds to the window like super glue. You need a sturdy one to get it off in any reasonable amount of time. Also needs a clean edge, I hate when people throw their scrapers around because nicks in the blade make scraping windows a goddamn chore with all the repeat passes you have to make. And once you start shopping for big scrapers you might as well get one with a brush on it too so you can get snow off.

The ones with brass edges are the best, but you probably won't see them sold at most stores unless you live someplace that gets serious snow. Just order one from Amazon because they own.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

The ones with brass edges are the best, but you probably won't see them sold at most stores unless you live someplace that gets serious snow. Just order one from Amazon because they own.

Don't hit your windshield gasket with these while you're scraping. I just buy cheapo plastic ones and always carry two in each car for just the situation above.

Also use the 'fins' on the backside of the scraper before you use the scraper - once you 'scratch' the ice on a windshield (I use large circular loops) it becomes much easier to scrape it off.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don't hit your windshield gasket with these while you're scraping. I just buy cheapo plastic ones and always carry two in each car for just the situation above.

Also use the 'fins' on the backside of the scraper before you use the scraper - once you 'scratch' the ice on a windshield (I use large circular loops) it becomes much easier to scrape it off.

Yes, the fins own, especially when ice is caked on. More spots for the scraper bit to actually "catch" on and scrape the stuff completely off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't get the extendable pivot-neck scrapers either; I've had maybe a half dozen of them over the years and they're absolute garbage. Either they're too cold and the mechanism freezes up, or the pivot keeps backing off as you put pressure on it, or the entire assembly just flops around at non-optimal angles.

Rigid ones are what you want.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
All I'm getting from this discussion is that living where it snows is Terrible Car Stuff.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ironblock posted:

All I'm getting from this discussion is that living where it snows is Terrible Car Stuff.

It's certainly terrible for cars and stuff. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ironblock posted:

Don't you get hurricanes there?

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

Rhyno posted:

Don't you get hurricanes there?

Yeah but it happens really infrequently and I rent. :v:

Worst comes to worst I park the RX-7 one of the monolithic, bombproof parking structures around here, hide out in the office (also monolithic and bombproof) and watch the rest of the island float away.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'll take snow and cold a few weeks out of the year vs hot and humid 6 months out of the year.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How about 72 degrees 340 days out of the year and the occasional earthquake? LA Owns.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

How about 72 degrees 340 days out of the year and the occasional earthquake? LA Owns.

I think you mean San Diego. Driving in LA blows.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chinatown posted:

I think you mean San Diego. Driving in LA blows.

SoCal owns, how about that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

SoCal owns, how about that.

Summer tires year round. :smug::hf::smug:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
One of my friends posted this today:

quote:

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MISSOULA, MT
0834 AM MST THU FEB 06 2014

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES SET AT MISSOULA MT...BUTTE MT...KALISPELL
MT...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -23 DEGREES WAS SET AT MISSOULA MT TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -17 SET IN 1899.

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -36 DEGREES WAS SET AT BUTTE MT TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -31 SET IN 1933.

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -21 DEGREES WAS SET AT KALISPELL MT
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -18 SET IN 1975.

So glad I'm in AZ right now.

Although my car is parked on the street. Pretty sure when I get back it will be surrounded by 4ft of plowed snow and won't start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Summer tires year round. :smug::hf::smug:

There might be r-comps on the supra just because they were cheap.