Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Arctic Baldwin posted:

My favorite part is Superman jogging over the ocean

Just like how you never draw Spidey standing or sitting down, there is never any reason for Superman to not be doing something exciting in a panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Admittedly, the ability to solve complex math problems reflexively and incorrectly would be a great gag power.

I have that power. :ssj:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Terror Sweat posted:

Just like how you never draw Spidey standing or sitting down

No no, that's Batman.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
In the hypothetical Superman run I'm never ever going to get, one of my rules would be that Superman never has his feet on the ground. He's always hovering an inch or so off the ground. It'd be a great way to throw more confusion on the Superman/Clark Kent thing -- Superman's slightly taller than Clark, and they move completely differently, because Superman is always hovering and moving like a steadicam, while Clark walks, which bobs his head and moves his body. It'd be a huge subconcious thing that nobody would notice, but would make them seem very dissimilar.

It's born of that lovely Superman Returns video game; the biggest thing I took away from it was how wrong Superman just walking around looked.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

What did NFL Superpro score on the Wonderlic?

Vince Young.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CapnAndy posted:

It'd be a huge subconcious thing that nobody would notice, but would make them seem very dissimilar.

One of the reasons I love Frank Quitely so much - he draws Clark Kent and Superman as two entirely different looking people you would NEVER suspect as being the same guy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

mind the walrus posted:

It can't be both?

Most likely.

Jerusalem posted:

One of the reasons I love Frank Quitely so much - he draws Clark Kent and Superman as two entirely different looking people you would NEVER suspect as being the same guy.

This is my favorite Clark face.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Christopher Reeves pulled this off perfectly. I think he was easily the best movie Superman/Clark Kent.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

hook 'em

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

IUG posted:

"You can do that?" could be Superman's bio too.

Am I weird because I think in that scene it would have made more sense for Supes to hear the radio signal instead of see it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Am I weird because I think in that scene it would have made more sense for Supes to hear the radio signal instead of see it?

Radio is light, not sound. Audio signals are sometimes encoded in radio broadcasts, however.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Choco1980 posted:

Nope that not how PreCrisis Superman rolls.
Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CapnAndy posted:

It's born of that lovely Superman Returns video game; the biggest thing I took away from it was how wrong Superman just walking around looked.

I love Spider-man 2 (the game), but Spidey just casually strolling on sidewalks is pretty loving weird as well.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Say Nothing posted:

Christopher Reeves pulled this off perfectly. I think he was easily the best movie Superman/Clark Kent.

I've always thought that too. Before seeing his movies, the glasses as a disguise thing always seemed dumb, but watching him I could actually believe that people wouldn't see that Clark and Superman were the same person.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sefer posted:

I've always thought that too. Before seeing his movies, the glasses as a disguise thing always seemed dumb, but watching him I could actually believe that people wouldn't see that Clark and Superman were the same person.

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when he is going to reveal it to Lois and becomes Superman, but changes his mind and goes back to Clark. In the film you got the feeling they were two different people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There have always been three people when it comes to Superman, in my humble opinion:

- Clark Kent to the relative public
- Superman to the relative public
- Clark/Superman in relative privacy

Reeves' Superman in the first movie and Man of Steel came close to this, but I'd really like to see a formal distinction about these sides to his personality made in a movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

That's the scene in the apartment in the Superman movie with Reeve.

It's just... it's an amazing piece of acting.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's been too long since I've seen that. That really was incredible.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

There have always been three people when it comes to Superman, in my humble opinion:

- Clark Kent to the relative public
- Superman to the relative public
- Clark/Superman in relative privacy

Reeves' Superman in the first movie and Man of Steel came close to this, but I'd really like to see a formal distinction about these sides to his personality made in a movie.
I guess the true Clark is the guy you see when he's with his parents.

However, I'm guessing Batman is Bruce Wayne's true self and his playboy millionaire personality is entirely fake.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's the popular interpretation, yeah. Although good writers are wise enough to show Bruce having room for a personality outside of the cowl.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Say Nothing posted:

I guess the true Clark is the guy you see when he's with his parents.

However, I'm guessing Batman is Bruce Wayne's true self and his playboy millionaire personality is entirely fake.

I go with the idea that Batman, the Dracula who stalks the criminal underworld, is just as much an act as bumbling billionaire Bruce Wayne.

To me, the real deal is Batman in the Batcave in the Bat Costume but with the cape and cowl off so you can see his face. And he's sitting at the Bat-computer doing some detective work while chatting to Alfred and or some other member of the Bat-family.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So ultimately, Superman and Batman have the same three identities: false public civilian identity that's an act, public costumed image that's closer to reality but exaggerated, and actual private self.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 5, 2014

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

CapnAndy posted:

In the hypothetical Superman run I'm never ever going to get, one of my rules would be that Superman never has his feet on the ground. He's always hovering an inch or so off the ground. It'd be a great way to throw more confusion on the Superman/Clark Kent thing -- Superman's slightly taller than Clark, and they move completely differently, because Superman is always hovering and moving like a steadicam, while Clark walks, which bobs his head and moves his body. It'd be a huge subconcious thing that nobody would notice, but would make them seem very dissimilar.

I dunno, if you'll forgive the puns but Superman always seems quite grounded and down-to-earth; a Superman who is constantly, consciously hovering just off the ground projects an image of someone who is trying to tower over and intimidate others. This kinda works when he's doing the whole 'hovering nonchalantly while looking down at a villain thing' but seems a bit condescending when he's doing it to just some ordinary joe. I dunno what other people would think but I would be thinking, "Who is this guy? Does he think he's too good to walk on the same ground I do?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah part of Superman is that he's always been willing to literally ground himself to engage people on their level. Yeah it looks weird to see him walking or running around for an extended period of time just getting from point A to point B, but the JL and JLU cartoons showed him walking around plenty of times and it never looked weird.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

To me, the real deal is Batman in the Batcave in the Bat Costume but with the cape and cowl off so you can see his face. And he's sitting at the Bat-computer doing some detective work while chatting to Alfred and or some other member of the Bat-family.

One of my favorite things about the Keaton batman was just him watching him work at the computer while wearing a turtleneck and sipping tea.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

One of my favorite things about the Keaton batman was just him watching him work at the computer while wearing a turtleneck and sipping tea.
Keaton was such an excellent Wayne :allears:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MikeJF posted:

So ultimately, Superman and Batman have the same three identities: false public civilian identity that's an act, public costumed image that's closer to reality but exaggerated, and actual private self.

I've always felt like Clark is exactly who Superman would be if he didn't have powers. Superman doesn't NEED a day job, but he has one because he wants all the normal things in life. He's really just a normal guy (personality wise) who is a good person and does good because it wouldn't feel right if he didn't.

Basically, Superman takes "With great power comes great responsibility" even farther than Spidey does - Spider-man's powers allowed him to become more than just some nobody (hell, I could see Peter Parker becoming a super-science villain if he never got his powers!)- Superman would still be happy, and an awesome guy doing the best he can, even if he was just a "mild-mannered reporter".

I admit that my nostalgia for this view of the character might be heavily colored by Astro City #1 and it's ideas of responsibility and sacrifice as related to the superman character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I've always felt like Clark is exactly who Superman would be if he didn't have powers. Superman doesn't NEED a day job, but he has one because he wants all the normal things in life. He's really just a normal guy (personality wise) who is a good person and does good because it wouldn't feel right if he didn't.

I'm pretty sure if he wasn't secretly Superman, Clark Kent wouldn't affect all that Jerry Lewis bumbling around stuff or act so, well, mild-mannered. I know some comics write Clark as bold and respected and with dignity, but I'm talking about the classic interpretation here. And to be honest writing Daily Planet Clark as a Cool Guy seems like writers missing the point and being unable to accept that Superman would willingly make himself look kind of like a tool in his civilian life.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So Ms. Marvel #1 came out today and it turns out that young Ms. Khan has some very... tumblr-friendly interests.

She's already hit 1,000 upvotes!

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 5, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

While it could cynically read as a pandering attempt (MLP! Upvotes! Fanfic! We're down with you kids! Especially you girls!), it is at least not that creepy or unrealistic that a younger girl would like MLP.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

redbackground posted:

Keaton was such an excellent Wayne :allears:

The thing about Keaton as Wayne is that Wayne is supposed to be a secret identity. Like, if you socialized with the B:TAS Bruce Wayne and suddenly found out he was Batman your reaction would likely be "THAT guy? You can't be serious." Whereas if you socialized with Keaton-Wayne and found out he was Batman your reaction would be more like a slow nod. "Yeah, that makes sense." Keaton usually comes across as a little nuts, and Keaton-Wayne came across as more than a little nuts.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty sure if he wasn't secretly Superman, Clark Kent wouldn't affect all that Jerry Lewis bumbling around stuff or act so, well, mild-mannered. I know some comics write Clark as bold and respected and with dignity, but I'm talking about the classic interpretation here. And to be honest writing Daily Planet Clark as a Cool Guy seems like writers missing the point and being unable to accept that Superman would willingly make himself look kind of like a tool in his civilian life.
Listen I'm basically just irritated at the speech from Kill Bill Volume 2.

fatherdog posted:

The thing about Keaton as Wayne is that Wayne is supposed to be a secret identity. Like, if you socialized with the B:TAS Bruce Wayne and suddenly found out he was Batman your reaction would likely be "THAT guy? You can't be serious." Whereas if you socialized with Keaton-Wayne and found out he was Batman your reaction would be more like a slow nod. "Yeah, that makes sense." Keaton usually comes across as a little nuts, and Keaton-Wayne came across as more than a little nuts.
I've always been impressed with Kevin Conroy's work on B:TAS - both Batman and Bruce Wayne's voices are distinct, but are clearly the same person making them, but you can easily imagine that anyone who heard both of them speak wouldn't make the connection. It's really really good voice work.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 5, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

I will say, while I absolutely love the scene with Keaton and Jack inside Vicki's apartment ("Let's get nuts."), I agree, that's not how Bruce should be...'acting' in public (now, whether you would have him err more towards rich doofus playboy (Bale) or boring businessman (BTAS) is a whole 'nuther debate). Keaton-as-Wayne is best when he's more relaxed and chill, which is still pretty often, I think.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

theflyingorc posted:

I've always been impressed with Kevin Conroy's work on B:TAS - both Batman and Bruce Wayne's voices are distinct, but are clearly the same person making them, but you can easily imagine that anyone who heard both of them speak wouldn't make the connection. It's really really good voice work.

I loved Conroy's work, like you mention, and I liked how Terry in Beyond tried to do the same but it just came across as a kid trying to hide their voice, which kinda fit. On the flipside, Bale kinda took the voice off in the opposite direction; you'd think Wayne Corp bought a majority interest in Halls or Ricola with all the Cookie Monster bullshit Bruce was pulling at night.

I can't even remember how Clooney did as Wayne; I seem to remember he was just 100% Clooney the whole time, but I watched those when they came out and haven't since.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

John Dyne posted:

I loved Conroy's work, like you mention, and I liked how Terry in Beyond tried to do the same but it just came across as a kid trying to hide their voice, which kinda fit. On the flipside, Bale kinda took the voice off in the opposite direction; you'd think Wayne Corp bought a majority interest in Halls or Ricola with all the Cookie Monster bullshit Bruce was pulling at night.
Kevin Conroy's professional opinion on Bale's Batman is pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3zJxF-0N3Y
I can't listen at work, but there's a line in there to the tune of "Someone should have told him he sounded ridiculous."

For people who can't watch it - he's still very respectful. He talks about how, as an actor, you have to commit to things that sometimes look/sound really stupid to you personally, and that you can't tell that something is dumb when you're inside it. He's seriously blaming everyone BUT Bale for how silly his Batman sounds.

To further derail - my least favorite thing about Bale's Batman is that Batman himself is almost entirely forgettable - the universe and characters around him are incredible, but there's a reason everyone quotes Bane and The Joker instead of Batman lines.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 5, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fatherdog posted:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

fatherdog posted:

I agree with this, it's a very good break down.

That being said, the best line in Batman Returns is Christopher Walken, on seeing Batman take off his mask say "Bruce Wayne? Why are you dressed like Batman?"

theflyingorc posted:

I can't listen at work, but there's a line in there to the tune of "Someone should have told him he sounded ridiculous."

For people who can't watch it - he's still very respectful. He talks about how, as an actor, you have to commit to things that sometimes look/sound really stupid to you personally, and that you can't tell that something is dumb when you're inside it. He's seriously blaming everyone BUT Bale for how silly his Batman sounds.

To further derail - my least favorite thing about Bale's Batman is that Batman himself is almost entirely forgettable - the universe and characters around him are incredible, but there's a reason everyone quotes Bane and The Joker instead of Batman lines.

Hey....to be fair people also quote Alfred a lot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

From the interviews I read with Bale, making Batman completely ridiculous was deliberate, because the concept was utterly ridiculous to him, and he figured that the only way someone could be Batman and take their job seriously was to make him an utterly over the top creature. In his opinion, having a Batman with a normal voice who has normal conversations would have been much stupider.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

We all are dude. Tarantino basically set the clock back on casual Superman interpretation 20 years with that pile of dogshit, and I like Tarantino (I even like Death Proof).

theflyingorc posted:

And bear in mind this is the one guy on Earth who has completely earned the right to trash-talk someone for doing a bad Batman voice, but he's wise enough to recognize that it really wasn't Bale's fault he sounded like poo poo when there's supposed to be an entire team of collaborators around to help prevent that kind-of poo poo from happening.

quote:

Yup. Batman Begins was the only movie in that entire trilogy where Batman was more than a force of nature showing up to counter-balance the other, more interesting characters, and even then that's only because Batman has an arc about becoming Batman. He had, what, one quotable line in three movies ("Swear to me!") that was kneecapped by Bale's unfortunate voice? Not that quotes make the man, but y'know, it does act as shorthand for how much of an impression a character makes.

John Dyne posted:

I loved Conroy's work, like you mention, and I liked how Terry in Beyond tried to do the same but it just came across as a kid trying to hide their voice, which kinda fit.

Which worked because Terry was a total nobody relative to even old Bruce Wayne, so even though he was doing a terrible job disguising his voice it didn't matter 99% of the time.

quote:

I can't even remember how Clooney did as Wayne; I seem to remember he was just 100% Clooney the whole time, but I watched those when they came out and haven't since.

You're remembering right. He basically acts at one level the entire movie, and that's at Clooney level.

E--

Lurdiak posted:

From the interviews I read with Bale, making Batman completely ridiculous was deliberate, because the concept was utterly ridiculous to him, and he figured that the only way someone could be Batman and take their job seriously was to make him an utterly over the top creature. In his opinion, having a Batman with a normal voice who has normal conversations would have been much stupider.

Then he really needed someone he respected to come in, show him the dailies, and go "Everyone is going to make fun of you for this. You can say you don't give a poo poo, but it's shooting the production in the foot here. Change your approach."

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mind the walrus posted:

We all are dude. Tarantino basically set the clock back on casual Superman interpretation 20 years with that pile of dogshit, and I like Tarantino (I even like Death Proof).
ARGH I just reread it and it's terrible.

quote:

Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology… The mythology is not only great, it’s unique.

Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there’s the superhero and there’s the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he’s Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone.

Superman didn’t become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he’s Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red “S” – that’s the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears – the glasses, the business suit – that’s the costume. That’s the costume Superman wears to blend in with us.

Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He’s weak… He’s unsure of himself… He’s a coward.

Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the whole human race.
Highlights:
"not particularly well drawn"
"Superman was born Superman"
The very concept of Superman being disdainful of the common man
And, of course, the stark fact that outside of the "born" aspect of it, every single quality he assigns to Superman here applies a thousand times more to Batman.

• Locked thread