Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Live WUS on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

an adult beverage posted:

Sonos shelled out for that big Super Bowl ad and all I could think of during that commercial was "Sonos, bawf."

I was like "Wow, these Sonos speakers sound awesome... oh wait, this is being played on my system"

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Zeluth posted:

Interesting to think of the show in eras. It is true in a sense. Golden age has not come and gone. I think it got more streamlined.

Think of it as the iterations of Van Halen.
Jackie was the David Lee Roth years.
Artie was the Sammy Hagar years.
... and after that, it's pretty much poo poo

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is the Birthday Show worth listening to if I don't give a poo poo about interviews with "big A-list celebrities"?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Brocktoon posted:

Is the Birthday Show worth listening to if I don't give a poo poo about interviews with "big A-list celebrities"?

I'm just about done listening to it and it's definitely a great show. The Letterman interview was great, but it was the absolutely worse place to have it. I hope he comes into the studio.

If you've got nothing to listen to one afternoon, it's not a bad time kill.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Does that include the pre/post shows? I just started listening to the Pre but it was just too much general open-air radio crowd cacophony that I skipped to the main show, but thought maybe the Pre-show got better after the first half hour or something.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The pre show is pretty boring and the beginning of the actual show is a little rough but it picks up at Louis CK and doesn't let up till it's over. The post show isn't too bad but it's skippable.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cool, thanks.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Tracey Millman ("Douche!") is gone from the show:

On O&A, they said a number of SIRIUS employees were laid off on Friday due to budget cuts. Hopefully they at least got to attend the party that the company prioritized over their jobs!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sand Monster posted:

On O&A, they said a number of SIRIUS employees were laid off on Friday due to budget cuts. Hopefully they at least got to attend the party that the company prioritized over their jobs!

I don't have a lot of concrete evidence (possible exception: Steve Grillo), but I really worry that Howard and company don't treat their employees well at all. :(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

prefect posted:

I don't have a lot of concrete evidence (possible exception: Steve Grillo), but I really worry that Howard and company don't treat their employees well at all. :(

They're not Howard's employees, they're Sirius's employees. He doesn't make the decisions. He is just the prankster.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Sand Monster posted:

Don't worry they can bring in that lady who won the impression contest and call her Tracy Jr.

Also, High Pitch Mike stuck between Sal and his wife haha

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I guess I'll be the voice of dissent: I'm about halfway through the Birthday Show and this is loving horrible. It's like a super-condensed example of everything I hate about the show. At least there's been no Benji or Ralph (yet...).

ETA: hahaha, I'm going to assume that after her crack about Beth, Lena Dunham will never be asked back to the show.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 4, 2014

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Maybe it's actually a good thing and Tracy found a job at a company that pays a living wage. Otherwise I can see why office support staff for a three day a week operation is on the chopping block.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Maybe it's actually a good thing and Tracy found a job at a company that pays a living wage. Otherwise I can see why office support staff for a three day a week operation is on the chopping block.

I thought I heard that a lot of Howard staff also had sidelines due to the show's reduced schedule. Granted, I think it was on Opie & Anthony I heard that, but has there been any allusions towards that?

I know Richard has his gigs and did something for a cable channel about Halloween a few years back.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Did Howard say he was going to announce some kind of replacement for the defunct OnDemand show?

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
Did they talk about Woody Allen? It would be amazing if they got Mia on the show like in the 90's.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

That's big of Howard to say he'd release video of the birthday show for free when there's a zero percent chance that anyone could ever get the clearance rights for the music to show it.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Howard's Comedians in Cars getting Coffee is up.
http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/howard-stern-the-last-days-of-howard-stern

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I'll call you right back, thanks!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I'll call you right back, thanks!

I want you to go to jail for this!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

AxeManiac posted:

You are silly, vodka is a great sipping drink and has been Howard's drink of choice since before TV cameras would film them.

Also I think Howard is drinking really nice vodka, not rite aid vodka.

I know it's two pages late, but vodka is also the hard liquor of choice for calorie counters.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

I want you to go to jail for this!

Is your father home? Put him on the phone!

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
The comedians in cars thing was brutally bad. I did enjoy the Louis CK one, though.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

an adult beverage posted:

The comedians in cars thing was brutally bad. I did enjoy the Louis CK one, though.

Agreed. It looked more like the kind of thing that you'd shoot in order to show about 10 seconds of content and used to promote something else.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I don't really consider Howard to be a "comedian" in the same sense as guys like Seinfeld, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, etc. He never did stand-up and had a group of writers feeding him some of his best lines. He's got talent, obviously, but he seems like an odd choice for that particular show.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 7, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Manifest posted:

I know it's two pages late, but vodka is also the hard liquor of choice for calorie counters.

Not really. Alcohol is essentially the only source of calories in hard liquors and since most hard liquors have the same amount of alcohol by volume they all end up having roughly the same amount of calories.

Of course, that's not taking into account higher alcohol percentages in fine bourbons and scotches, watered down "diet vodka," or flavored anything.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

haljordan posted:

I don't really consider Howard to be a "comedian" in the same sense as guys like Seinfeld, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, etc. He never did stand-up and had a group of writers feeding him some of his best lines. He's got talent, obviously, but he seems like an odd choice for that particular show.

Looks like somebody never purchased Howard's Comedy Album

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Is that Howard's O-Face?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

Not really. Alcohol is essentially the only source of calories in hard liquors and since most hard liquors have the same amount of alcohol by volume they all end up having roughly the same amount of calories.

Of course, that's not taking into account higher alcohol percentages in fine bourbons and scotches, watered down "diet vodka," or flavored anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CK0Yr7im9o

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
the comedians in cars getting coffee was kinda funny in the sense Howard was trying so hard to take control and Jerry just not giving a drat. He must've been really annoyed by the end of the taping with howard.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I liked that Howard tried to see how out of touch Jerry is by asking him the price of common food items. Considering that Howard learned about CVS about 5 months ago, and learned about Amazon last month, I don't think that he's the right person to insinuate that anybody is out of touch with the common man.

How in the hell did Howard get any food until recently if he was unaware of stores and internet shopping? He was unaware of stores!

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

haljordan posted:

Unless he wanted Howard to endlessly flog the show, then it's a pretty obvious choice. Howard is a great celebrity interviewer and an even better promoter...

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

The Human Crouton posted:

I liked that Howard tried to see how out of touch Jerry is by asking him the price of common food items. Considering that Howard learned about CVS about 5 months ago, and learned about Amazon last month, I don't think that he's the right person to insinuate that anybody is out of touch with the common man.

How in the hell did Howard get any food until recently if he was unaware of stores and internet shopping? He was unaware of stores!

Jerry seems like one of the most down to earth dudes, like he's pretty well adjusted about stuff so it is kind of funny to see Howard bouncing off the walls trying to "get him". That wasn't a very good episode, he basically just pulled all the stuff Larry David did, but was less funny about it. Watching Howard cry about eating a chunk of brownie and drinking a glass of hot water was pretty great, his life literally must be hell. It's also funny to see him forced into being friendly and public with people stopping to gawk at them. But I do get that part of it, it has to be kind of weird that people are just standing around looking at you, taking pictures, not trying to interact with you but just record you like some kind of yeti sighting.

Calling him out about his hair and needing a hair stylist for coffee was funny too

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I hesitated briefly, but since I've already become "that guy" in this thread...
Now that I'm done listening to Howard's Birthday show, it was a fricken Roo festival. "Roo" being pejorative for a follower of the Marharishi (it's a redneck corruption of "guru").

Paul McCartney, Jerry Seinfeld... Hell, the Beach Boys are almost broke because of how much dough they have given to the TM movement. Did you hear the glee in Howard's voice when Letterman admitted to practicing TM? Also, he gave Jimmy Kimmel TM training for his wedding gift? What a bullshit loving gift.

Sorry. Rant over.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Did anyone see Private Parts on VH1? I caught it real quick and noticed that Howard did these green screen bits, where he would walk into the frame a few times during the movie and explain stuff, like when they censored the puppets having sex. He also paused during the tub scene to ask for his rear end to be censored. Of course during the scene where the girl sits on a sub woofer and Howard hums into it, he paused it to say you can't see this naked hot lady and should buy the video.

It was clearly just recorded for the TV release, it even played in a 4:3 aspect. I just thought it was funny, he looked really bad 90s Howie in baggy terrible clothes and the whole thing was really schticky

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Did anyone see Private Parts on VH1? I caught it real quick and noticed that Howard did these green screen bits, where he would walk into the frame a few times during the movie and explain stuff, like when they censored the puppets having sex. He also paused during the tub scene to ask for his rear end to be censored. Of course during the scene where the girl sits on a sub woofer and Howard hums into it, he paused it to say you can't see this naked hot lady and should buy the video.

It was clearly just recorded for the TV release, it even played in a 4:3 aspect. I just thought it was funny, he looked really bad 90s Howie in baggy terrible clothes and the whole thing was really schticky

I remember when that first aired on the USA network. I liked that they just beeped out the audio that otherwise would have been edited.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Sand Monster posted:

I remember when that first aired on the USA network. I liked that they just beeped out the audio that otherwise would have been edited.

I couldn't figure it out, they kept bleeping bits he had on the radio, if the FCC allowed it, why wouldn't they let him say it on cable tv at 2 in the morning?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AxeManiac posted:

I couldn't figure it out, they kept bleeping bits he had on the radio, if the FCC allowed it, why wouldn't they let him say it on cable tv at 2 in the morning?

I believe it was because USA was trying to be a "real network" at the time, and had a real-network-style standards and practices department that prevented anything that wouldn't be allowed on network TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Howard literally looked like a goofy muppet walking into the TV, with his shaggy hair, baggy neon blue clothes. It was kind of surreal.