Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

jtm33 posted:

Nah it wouldn't Atlus don't publish outside of Japan/NA so they are by far not the greatest choice of publisher.

They're doing an EU release of Conception 2 (albeit digital only), so hopefully that's the first step in changing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Artix posted:

They're doing an EU release of Conception 2 (albeit digital only), so hopefully that's the first step in changing that.

Oh right I forgot about that! Yeah that's a promising sign.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Atlus just doesn't want to or can't afford(especially prior to the Sega buyout) setting up a European division. It's probably easier for them to license out to companies like NISA or Ghostlight than bother with the hassle of setting up an office. They probably couldn't actually run a dedicated Atlus office and charge reasonable prices in Europe. Atlus USA was probably able to stay afloat because they localize and publish non Atlus games in the US/Canada as an independent company wholly owned by Index. If they were to move into Europe, they would be stepping on the toes of other companies already established by not only publishing Atlus games, but other series as well.

By putting out Conception II as a digital only title, they only have to send a couple files to Nintendo/Sony and it's done. No arranging for special CDs, no special artbooks, and no paying European wages/taxes for another office. Just the game in English.

Now that I think about it:
Since Conception 2 is not an Atlus game, any other company that would want to localize it would have to create their own English version from scratch (VAs and all) and not be able to use the AtlusUSA localization without some pretty big licensing issues. It's possible none of the other localization companies wanted to put in the time and effort and passed on it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I know the whole Megaten Universe continuity is up for debate in a lot of ways, but I was listening to some discussions that took place before SMT IV and now I'm kind of interested in finding out where SMT IV fits in it all. I assumed the Demonica Armor being in the game means it has some relation to Strange Journey, but obviously nothing is canon©.

Also, I just beat SMT IV with the Neutral ending, so I got pretty pumped. Very good game, and now I'm trying to decide whether to play Strange Journey or Soul Hackers. Soul Hackers was really kicking my rear end last I played it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

hubris.height posted:

I know the whole Megaten Universe continuity is up for debate in a lot of ways, but I was listening to some discussions that took place before SMT IV and now I'm kind of interested in finding out where SMT IV fits in it all. I assumed the Demonica Armor being in the game means it has some relation to Strange Journey, but obviously nothing is canon©.

Also, I just beat SMT IV with the Neutral ending, so I got pretty pumped. Very good game, and now I'm trying to decide whether to play Strange Journey or Soul Hackers. Soul Hackers was really kicking my rear end last I played it.

I think it's pretty clear that it's totally separate and the Demonica is just a tease. They go into the how the Demonica armor got developed in both SJ and SMT IV and they're both totally different. (One was a general-purpose survival suit, the other was specifically engineered for fighting demons) Atlus just loves putting those sorts of shout-outs in their games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://pastebin.com/MjztBvGB

While we're all waiting for Persona 4 Arena 2 to come out, here's a constantly updated document with the win quotes from Arcade Mode.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Eh, of course Yosuke and Junpei would hit it off. And their respective Shadows are dick to the other. Shadow Yu, on the other hand is nightmarishly brutal.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 3, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Do we know yet if Elizabeth is in P4A2, and if she has a Shadow form? On the one hand she does not have a traditional Persona, and is already kinda psychotic anyway, on the other hand it would be really interesting to see what a creepier, more insane Elizabeth would look like.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Do we know yet if Elizabeth is in P4A2, and if she has a Shadow form? On the one hand she does not have a traditional Persona, and is already kinda psychotic anyway, on the other hand it would be really interesting to see what a creepier, more insane Elizabeth would look like.

She's back without a shadow form AFIK. One of her random end quotes in P4A even says something along the lines of "I'll see you next week." People are more focused on the new characters, so a lot of dialog won't appear for a while.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Junpei's quote vs. Elizabeth:

"A long time ago...I put my life on the line. There was a thorn in a beautiful rose, or, now, nothing but a thorn......"

Chidori. :smith:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dehry posted:

She's back without a shadow form AFIK. One of her random end quotes in P4A even says something along the lines of "I'll see you next week." People are more focused on the new characters, so a lot of dialog won't appear for a while.

I figured as much. She was my favorite character to play as in Arena, as well as one of the best parts of P3 in my opinion. I loved how in Arena the P4 navigators would just be confused as to who this weird girl was while P3 navigators are actively terrified due to her super-boss status.
E:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Junpei's quote vs. Elizabeth:

"A long time ago...I put my life on the line. There was a thorn in a beautiful rose, or, now, nothing but a thorn......"

Chidori. :smith:

Chidori's sacrifice for Junpei's life was such a touching and poignant scene in P3, but I can't decide if it was made better or worse by the fact that seconds earlier, he had to look on as his friends and allies stabbed, speared, shot and electrified her, culminating in a brutal stomping to death (all out attack). Really messed with the poor kid's head no doubt.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 4, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

"Hehe, not bad, huh. But, no one can win when I've got my love for Chidori!"

She's still alive in FES/Portable, she just doesn't remember anything after her persona awakened :unsmith:. He probably still visits her, even if she doesn't remember him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dehry posted:

"Hehe, not bad, huh. But, no one can win when I've got my love for Chidori!"

She's still alive in FES/Portable, she just doesn't remember anything after her persona awakened :unsmith:. He probably still visits her, even if she doesn't remember him.

It's a pretty great thing they added. I like to imagine they fell in love again :smith:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I found it a bit of a cop out, actually. It kinds of negate both her sacrifice and Junpei's resolution to live for her sakes. And it's non canon. She's confirmed as dead in The Answer, and The Answer is canon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

I found it a bit of a cop out, actually. It kinds of negate both her sacrifice and Junpei's resolution to live for her sakes. And it's non canon. She's confirmed as dead in The Answer, and The Answer is canon.

The answer only has him say he wouldn't go back and change what happened to her

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

projecthalaxy posted:

She's in the game but does not have a Shadow form as of current patch. She is worse to play than she was in original, unfortunately.

Edit:

I can run to the arcade and compile a list of story and arcade win dialogue probably. I haven't played since a week or two ago, but current patch only changed frame data iirc.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/75579145179/and-heres-the-complete-and-final-version-of-the

Here's a translated version of an interview with Katsura Hashino, the Persona series director.
Not much new info, but a few tidbits about the theme of P5. Apparently our interface will be red this time.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
They already used red for the Innocent Sin remake. Looks like they didn't plan ahead very well!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
That is all new info to me. I find it interesting he is talking about the games color as an important part of the overall theme of the game, and this is really exciting to hear. Sounds like they really want to make something with an overarching theme and message. I'm sure that those desks / chains are going to be a thing we see a lot in the game, perhaps every character will have a scene with it?

Anyone know of a good Let's Play of Last Bible or Persona 1/2.1/2.2, preferably by someone who is explaining the plot as they go, making some commentary, and is good at critical thinking?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've been reading the 'Devil Gene' manga of SMTIV and is an odd mix of silliness and the usual grimness of the series, the plot is also weird since Flynn just shows on a few panels, Walter is the main character and we got a new character taking Flynn's place.

Is an interesting take on SMTIV story though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

hubris.height posted:

Anyone know of a good Let's Play of Last Bible or Persona 1/2.1/2.2, preferably by someone who is explaining the plot as they go, making some commentary, and is good at critical thinking?

http://lparchive.org/Persona-2-Eternal-Punishment/

There's one for EP. There aren't any SA LPs of the other ones. People were discussing it in the P4A LP but it's going to be a time consuming thing, and for us modern fans it's hard to go back to the old games.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Innocent Sin has aged pretty well, IMO. Persona 1 is extremely LP-worthy because the story outweighs any reeding qualities of the gameplay. Yes, even in the portable version.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I loving love Persona 1 and 2, but they are very old-school in design and gameplay style. Still, I would say that of all the Persona games, 1 and 2 are the only ones that I felt created really believable settings. Much as I like Persona 3 and 4, Port Island and Inaba don't feel like truly living places, while Mikage really gave me the impression of a dying industrial town while Sumaru felt like a booming city. Sumaru especially, with the various neighbourhoods and poo poo-ton of NPCs, felt a lot more real. They also had a somewhat darker atmosphere, closer in feel to 90s horror movies and anime.

But the gameplay is extremely antiquated, yes. Especially in 1.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I played a lot of the PSOne Revelations: Persona, but only of the first 5 hours or so, because I rented a PSX and never had a memory card. I recall my mother's reaction being, "What the hell is this?" at the time. It really was a good game at the time, and very new compared to the rest of the American Market at the time, but its a lot like the SNES SMT in that its hard to get back into after years of progress in how JRPGs are played.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hubris.height posted:

I played a lot of the PSOne Revelations: Persona, but only of the first 5 hours or so, because I rented a PSX and never had a memory card. I recall my mother's reaction being, "What the hell is this?" at the time. It really was a good game at the time, and very new compared to the rest of the American Market at the time, but its a lot like the SNES SMT in that its hard to get back into after years of progress in how JRPGs are played.

That was the first SMT game I played. When Persona 3 was first announced, and trailers made it look really cool, I managed to get a copy of the first game for cheap in anticipation. I really liked it, warts and all, although learning of the removed/changed content pissed me off a little. And then the PSP remake came out and all was well!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hey is P4 Arena Ultimax believed to be a sequel to the current one or just like an ultimate edition? Like would there be new story content or is it the same story making the current version totally obsolete?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

epitasis posted:

Hey is P4 Arena Ultimax believed to be a sequel to the current one or just like an ultimate edition? Like would there be new story content or is it the same story making the current version totally obsolete?

Apparently, we're going to get a continuation of Arena's story but I haven't kept up with it too closely, so I don't know if they're going to do a quick re-cap.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

epitasis posted:

It's a sequel. My guess is they'll do a re-cap, but I'm not entirely sure; they might just do something like they do with BlazBlue.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
P4A2 takes place a few days after P4A(Elizabeth says 'next week' in one of her win quotes.) The midnight channel broadcasts again, shows the P3 cast from the last game being crucified, promotes another fighting tournament, then a red fog covers Inaba, putting it into the dark hour(or something like it.)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I desperately want there to be a fan theory in which Snowboard Kids and Snowboard Kids 2 are considered in the SMT universe.

edit: Black Frost was unlockable in Snowboard Kids 2 IIRC.

VVVVVVVV

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 6, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

I desperately want there to be a fan theory in which Snowboard Kids and Snowboard Kids 2 are considered in the SMT universe.
Jack Frost *does* show up in the DS snowboard kids.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Friday Persona Q promotional videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTi-egBGfnk

Yukari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT7Q7aLU_ww

Junpei

A.K.A. "The Four Eyed Samurai."

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 7, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

They really got Junpei nailed with that. "Where am I? What's going on? Oh wait, sword, Shadows, hot chicks, don't care anymore, HERO TIME!"

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

In translation news, Megami Tensei 1's finally gotten a translation! (Although they said in their thread that they won't release it until the next anniversary, probably to test if there's any bugs or something).

I bet the next fan translation of a SMT game will be in around 5 years. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Booky posted:

In translation news, Megami Tensei 1's finally gotten a translation! (Although they said in their thread that they won't release it until the next anniversary, probably to test if there's any bugs or something).

Ugh my eyes are bleeding looking at Megami Tensei. I shouldn't bash on it too much because it was probably nicer at the time, but those same-y textures are kind of hard to look at.

What hasn't been translated at this point? Off the top of my head, Megami Tensei 2, Devil Summoner 1 (but who cares about that), Majin Tensei, and the Last Bible games?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Booky posted:

A 32-character password? :psyduck:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ChaosArgate posted:

Ugh my eyes are bleeding looking at Megami Tensei. I shouldn't bash on it too much because it was probably nicer at the time, but those same-y textures are kind of hard to look at.

What hasn't been translated at this point? Off the top of my head, Megami Tensei 2, Devil Summoner 1 (but who cares about that), Majin Tensei, and the Last Bible games?

I think a couple of people want to play DS1, actually. It looks interesting enough.
And I think KMT, the rest of the Majin Tensei games, the 3rd Digital Devil Story book, and all of NDDS are waiting for translations too. I might be missing some, though.

Strange Quark posted:

A 32-character password? :psyduck:

Look, back in the olden days, there wasn't any fancy stuff like save files. You wanted to load a save, you had better write the password down. :colbert:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ChaosArgate posted:

Persona 2: Tatsuyaventures, man!

Bugs me that Atlus won't even say why they can't release EP PSP here, just "something something license contracts whatever." Maybe they can't say why they can't say? :tinfoil:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

My favorite part of MT1 is the fusion table. All those asterisks result in Fairy Dryad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Captain Walker posted:

Persona 2: Tatsuyaventures, man!

Bugs me that Atlus won't even say why they can't release EP PSP here, just "something something license contracts whatever." Maybe they can't say why they can't say? :tinfoil:

Probably had to do with some Index contracts that went under, as well as poor sales. Some people were saying it might also have something to do with some music in the game.

Safe to say it will never come out stateside. People are actively working on a fan translation, though.