Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think we need to start a free agency thread since its taking over the draft thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

defiantgiant posted:

I'd love to get Bennett, but I would not be mad about Lamarr Houston at all. Granted, the Raiders are about to have a ton of cap space ($59 million, holy poo poo,) so they might be able to re-sign him. If Chicago could pry him away, though, he'd be an ideal LE and nickel-package DT, just like Bennett.

I have to think Emery can rebuild their d-line this offseason, through some combination of the draft and free agency. I mean, when they needed receivers in 2012, he traded for Marshall and drafted Jeffery. When they needed o-line in 2013, he signed Bushrod and Slauson, then drafted Long and Mills. When they needed linebackers that same year, he signed DJ Williams and Anderson, then drafted Bostic and Greene (whoops.) He clearly likes to identify a problem and then double (or quadruple) up on it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the same thing with the d-line this year, after it was a dumpster fire all season.

I'm not sure that the D-line needs a "rebuild" considering how injury plagued the Bears were.
I think Wootton-Paea-Melton or Collins-??? is more than serviceable.

DE should be a priority in the draft though

e- Agree with you conceptually but I think the secondary is going to be this year's project

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

swickles posted:

I think we need to start a free agency thread since its taking over the draft thread.

Yes, good. I want to talk about CFL players the Ravens gave tryouts.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Who's the weed guy that's going to fall out of the first/second in this draft? There's always a weed guy and I want him on my team.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I think I'd be more concerned about Kyle Orton having a 4 million cap hit to ride the bench.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Romo's cap number is the largest of all QBs but we all know he'll get restructured and they'll convert that base salary into a signing bonus. It's not really a problem for Dallas this year.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

DupaDupa posted:

I'm going to be so mad when the Seahawks resign Bennett.

If it makes you feel any better, they don't currently have cap space for rookies, so...

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The raiders have sixty million in cap space? :aaaaa:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

ZenVulgarity posted:

The raiders have sixty million in cap space? :aaaaa:

Amazing things happen when you suddenly have $50 million worth of dead money coming off the books

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Romo's not the problem. A declining Ware and perpetually injured Austin are the biggest issues.

Cutting Austin is a no-brainer. They should also make Ware a June 1st cut as well considering his production the last 2 years vs. his cap hit, which would give them enough cap space to at least sign their draft picks, but knowing Jerry he will probably do something stupid like extend him instead.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is Miles Austin a worthwhile FA to pursue or is the man just done?

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He'll probably pull a hamstring while getting up after signing a contract.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He has ongoing persistent hamstring injuries. While Austin's hamstring issues at this point are basically a running joke with Cowboys fans, the sad truth of the matter is that once you have a hamstring injury and that damage is done, even after recovery it increases your likelihood for reoccurance. Austin would be a prime example of this.

He would probably be worth a vet minimum contract, but not much more than that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rasczak posted:

Here's a preview of how active Dallas is expected to be in free agency

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

If I understand that, the Colts and Packers have a lot of spending ability for improvement. Especially the Colts for how far they went in the post.

The Raiders could practically double their team or something.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Vet min is what I'd figure the Ravens would offer. Ozzie Newsome loves to sign himself some fresh cut cap casualties. If the guy comes in and does nothing at that price its no big deal. I'm going to be honest and say that I haven't seen enough of Miles playing to know what type of receiver he is but if he has sure hands on third downs its a worth a gamble. Especially if it frees us up for more BPA in the draft.

This does not mean I don't want the Ravens to draft a receiver out of this absurdly deep class. If we can grab Austin with a chance of him contributing then I would be comfortable with drafting only one receiver this year instead of three.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Rasczak posted:

They should also make Ware a June 1st cut as well considering his production the last 2 years vs. his cap hit

You mean 11.5 sacks in 2012 and 6 sacks in 2013 due to playing on the world's shittiest defense with a ton of nagging injuries?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
A guy can play well and still be no where near worth their cap hit, e.g. Haloti Ngata.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

A guy can play well and still be no where near worth their cap hit, e.g. Haloti Ngata.

Or Joe Flacco.

Wait you said good. :smug:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Flacco is absolutely not worth his hit and it doesn't bother me even a little. Best Baltimore QB since Unitas. I waited so long for Joe Flacco to come along that now that he's here he can do no wrong. I wouldn't trade him for anyone or anything

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Toymachine posted:

You mean 11.5 sacks in 2012 and 6 sacks in 2013 due to playing on the world's shittiest defense with a ton of nagging injuries?

Yes, I know, when considering a player's production on defense nothing should be considered other than SACKS, but that said

- He counts 16 (SIXTEEN) million against the cap this year and the Cowboys are currently 25.9 mil over the cap
- he's 32 years old and on the decline
- He's been constantly injured the last 2 seasons
- He was 12th on the team in tackles this season. Keeping in mind that only 11 guys can be on the field at any given time.
- He posted a career low 6 sacks this past season, if that's what you care so much about.

Ware is still a good player, and he would be a good pickup for another team in free agency if signed to a reasonable, incentive-laden contract. He is not, however, a 16 million-per-year player anymore, and since he's on the decline it's not a great idea to restructure and extend him like Jerry will probably do.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Vet min is what I'd figure the Ravens would offer. Ozzie Newsome loves to sign himself some fresh cut cap casualties. If the guy comes in and does nothing at that price its no big deal. I'm going to be honest and say that I haven't seen enough of Miles playing to know what type of receiver he is but if he has sure hands on third downs its a worth a gamble. Especially if it frees us up for more BPA in the draft.

This does not mean I don't want the Ravens to draft a receiver out of this absurdly deep class. If we can grab Austin with a chance of him contributing then I would be comfortable with drafting only one receiver this year instead of three.

Austin is a good route-runner who relies on his speed to get open and get YAC. He is not very physical and probably won't win many jump ball battles. His hands are pretty good, although he has had his share of drops. He is effective lined out outside and in the slot, however, and would be a good pickup for pretty much any team on a vet minimum contract.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Ware is at a point where reducing his snaps some probably makes his production go up and extends the useful years of his career, but the Cowboys have no depth in the front 7 and their defensive strategy seems awful, so if he stays he's probably run into the ground and wasted because Cowboys.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

And again, you're talking about reducing snaps for a guy whose cap hit is 16 mil in 2014, 17.5 mil in 2015, 14 mil in 2016, and 14 mil in 2017 (unless you restructure and extend him, but he's 32 years old and on the decline, so that's not a great idea). It's just a lovely situation for everyone involved.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Rasczak posted:

And again, you're talking about reducing snaps for a guy whose cap hit is 16 mil in 2014, 17.5 mil in 2015, 14 mil in 2016, and 14 mil in 2017 (unless you restructure and extend him, but he's 32 years old and on the decline, so that's not a great idea). It's just a lovely situation for everyone involved.

The only good solution is to trade Ware. It creates cap room that will be crucial to keeping Tyron Smith and Dez Bryant and gives the cowboys another pick to work with. I still like Indianapolis as a partner if it were to happen.

That said, it probably won't happen and we'll keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

defiantgiant posted:

I'd love to get Bennett, but I would not be mad about Lamarr Houston at all. Granted, the Raiders are about to have a ton of cap space ($59 million, holy poo poo,) so they might be able to re-sign him. If Chicago could pry him away, though, he'd be an ideal LE and nickel-package DT, just like Bennett.

I have to think Emery can rebuild their d-line this offseason, through some combination of the draft and free agency. I mean, when they needed receivers in 2012, he traded for Marshall and drafted Jeffery. When they needed o-line in 2013, he signed Bushrod and Slauson, then drafted Long and Mills. When they needed linebackers that same year, he signed DJ Williams and Anderson, then drafted Bostic and Greene (whoops.) He clearly likes to identify a problem and then double (or quadruple) up on it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the same thing with the d-line this year, after it was a dumpster fire all season.

He is definitely doubling down on the defensive line. If you think about it, we thought the Bears would only be able to address the line or tight end in free agency last year, and they were able to strongly do both, with about the same cap space.

If I had to break down how this draft and free agency goes, it'll be something like this.

In free agency, he will target one top flight DE and at least a mid-level safety. He'll resign Bowman on the cheap and target one of our free agent lineman for whichever one can get a team-friendly deal. I suspect Collins is for sure coming back because his price will be cheap. And one of Wooten/Ratliff/Melton. I think Peppers/Bush/Bennett/Podlash are all cut. If Peppers is cut with a June 1st designation, which I think they have to do, they can free up an additional 4 million in cap space for this year. That can give them $25 million to do what they need to do in free agency.

Basically, he will fill out a starting roster in free agency, just like he did last year, and draft for depth/youth. I'll tell you right now, this draft will not be all defense, despite his claims. I suspect we pick up another receiver/running back/center in the draft. The rest of the spots will be DL and CB.

GNU Order posted:

I'm not sure that the D-line needs a "rebuild" considering how injury plagued the Bears were.
I think Wootton-Paea-Melton or Collins-??? is more than serviceable.

DE should be a priority in the draft though

e- Agree with you conceptually but I think the secondary is going to be this year's project

You realize only one of those guys is under contract, right?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

TheChirurgeon posted:

The only good solution is to trade Ware. It creates cap room that will be crucial to keeping Tyron Smith and Dez Bryant and gives the cowboys another pick to work with. I still like Indianapolis as a partner if it were to happen.

That said, it probably won't happen and we'll keep making the same mistakes over and over.

What could you even get in a trade that forces a team to take on that cap figure he has over the next four years?

Also didn't he say he was willing to take a pay cut to stay on the Cowboys?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

What could you even get in a trade that forces a team to take on that cap figure he has over the next four years?

Also didn't he say he was willing to take a pay cut to stay on the Cowboys?

No, he only said he's willing to restructure. The "pay cut" comment was misreported/quoted and Ware made a statement about it.

quote:

“No, I didn’t say that,” Ware said Monday afternoon at Valley Ranch. “I said I will do whatever I need to do to maneuver some things around to help the team out. I’m for that. It’s nothing new to me.

“But pay cut and restructure are two different things. You hear what I’m saying. Clar-i-fy.”

Ware is scheduled to make $12.2 million in 2014 and has a salary cap hit of $16 million. He

His base salary hovers in the $12-13M range over the next 4 years, so that's all a team would take on if he was traded and they'd be able to cut him at any time with no dead money (that would all stay with the Cowboys), so it's not the worst deal. It's not a trade that I would make given his age and production, but the Colts have made some bad trades recently sooooo

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
His cap figure and declining production makes Ware pretty close to untradeable, I'd think. Anyway: Made a FA thread so this one can focus on draft talk: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607057

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

swickles posted:

done.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607058

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sigh seeing ware slow down reminds me that I have likely one year of Cameron wake left

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

bewbies posted:

You're mad about THAT? Scroll down to "dead money"

Patriots didn't do much better.

Brandon Lloyd $3,500,000
Jon Fanene $2,566,667 :ssj:
Aaron Hernandez $2,550,000
Chad Ochocinco $1,583,334
Leon Washington $1,200,000
Ras-I Dowling $940,759

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dowling was a freaking top 35 pick wasn't he? What a whiff by the patriots

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

CharlestheHammer posted:

Or Joe Flacco.

Wait you said good. :smug:

You just lit the Sour Diesel signal

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Can someone give me the details on Ohio State OLB Ryan Shazier? Looking at his stats he's been insanely productive and he's someone I'm interested in as a Cowboys fan. Is he likely to be available in the mid-2nd or is he a solid 1st rounder?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Disillusionist posted:

Can someone give me the details on Ohio State OLB Ryan Shazier? Looking at his stats he's been insanely productive and he's someone I'm interested in as a Cowboys fan. Is he likely to be available in the mid-2nd or is he a solid 1st rounder?

He is a fantastic blitzer, and he is good at run support. He is decent in coverage, though this season no one looked that great in coverage. Most mocks have him as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Schwack posted:

Who's the weed guy that's going to fall out of the first/second in this draft? There's always a weed guy and I want him on my team.

It seems every draft there's a weed guy and a weird "condition" guy that pops up every draft and they both go on to be good.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He was the 33rd pick that year, traded pick from Carolina.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Wasn't he perpetually injured or am I thinking of a different UVA CB that was also taken highly?

e: vvvvvvvvvvv if true that's a bit less of a Whiff might have been a good player if he'd stayed healthy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
^^^ He was still a reach when he was taken and most Pats fans here were at best lukewarm about the pick

Pretty sure that's him

Intruder fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 6, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ras-I-Dowling was supposed to be a legitimate first rounder but went back for another year. After which, he was again a legitimate first rounder. It was a good pick that didn't pan out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
Hmmm, I was born and raised in Texas so I feel no shame in saying this and I also believe it's not going to happen and I'm kinda ready to take a break from the Jerry Garrett Kiffin roller coaster for a season anyway. So if the Texans take Johnny Manziel at number 1 in the 2014 draft I will cheer for the Texans as my primary team (for better or for worse) for the 2014 season.

I'll still be a Dallas fan but I'll be invested with the Texans for 2014.

• Locked thread