Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but Pain and Gain has been getting divided opinions everywhere man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

mind the walrus posted:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but Pain and Gain has been getting divided opinions everywhere man.

No I'm saying that saying that there's a unanimous opinion about anything is dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sion posted:

Yo, I watched that Pain and Game movie everyone said was great and it blew fuckin' chunks so here we are in the land of unanimous consent where up is down and black is white.

Actually I think this just confirms it's good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

mind the walrus posted:

A lot of people have been saying that not only was pg good but anyone who doesn't like it "does not have taste" and accusing reviewers of being hacks for "not getting it" - go back two or three pages in this thread.

I haven't seen it yet because it's making it kinda sound like it's prometheus or something.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Keep in mind that Iron Man 3 had a huge push in China, and included scenes filmed specifically for that market that weren't in the US version of the movie. Going the yellow peril route with the Mandarin probably wouldn't have played well over there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sion posted:

No I'm saying that saying that there's a unanimous opinion about anything is dumb.

Which is why I clarified it with "I've seen so far" you big dummy. Sometimes your sample size really is unanimous in agreement on something, same way you can flip a coin 20 times and get heads every time. It's unlikely, but it does happen.

Rita Repulsa posted:

A lot of people have been saying that not only was pg good but anyone who doesn't like it "does not have taste" and accusing reviewers of being hacks for "not getting it" - go back two or three pages in this thread.

I haven't seen it yet because it's making it kinda sound like it's prometheus or something.

Ah. I'm not surprised. I don't think it's being misrepresented like Prometheus, although those arguments sure do sound familiar.

Beanpants posted:

Keep in mind that Iron Man 3 had a huge push in China, and included scenes filmed specifically for that market that weren't in the US version of the movie. Going the yellow peril route with the Mandarin probably wouldn't have played well over there.

Wait what scenes were filmed for the Chinese market? That's really interesting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Wait what scenes were filmed for the Chinese market? That's really interesting.

They involve a character named Dr. Wu, who's in the opening and ending briefly in the non-Chinese version. There's a scene where he talks with Jarvis on the phone, and then a scene where he talks with his assistant about the procedure to remove the shrapnel from the end of the movie.

RDJ isn't in the scenes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

My only problem with this is my pet theory on what they'd do with Mandarin is have Trevor come back and re-assume the role, perhaps with the suggestion that he'd been the real mastermind all along playing the other guys for chumps.

Though I guess this doesn't entirely remove that, and it'd be kind of funny for him to accidentally off the Mandarin and then just take over the role because someone has to. Of course, I really doubt we'll see the character(s) again so it's a moot point.

My favorite theory running around was that there would be a bunch of aim or ten rings member that believed Trevor was playing a long con and would thrust him into an unwanted leadership role and Trevor has to keep playing the Mandarin 24/7 to save his own skin.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Hate to interrupt the Iron Man discussion, but the Funny Panel threads is having a minor derail over a line in Kill Bill and we were told to move it to the movie thread. That being this line.

Bill from Kill Bill posted:

Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology… The mythology is not only great, it’s unique.

Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there’s the superhero and there’s the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he’s Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone.

Superman didn’t become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he’s Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red “S” – that’s the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears – the glasses, the business suit – that’s the costume. That’s the costume Superman wears to blend in with us.

Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He’s weak… He’s unsure of himself… He’s a coward.

Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the whole human race.

People's argument is that Tarantino clearly doesn't GET Superman: to me, this scene was never about Taratinto not getting it, but Bill himself. Of course Bill, who runs a circle of assassins, and who tried to murder the main character of the film duology for the terrible crime of wanting to get married, would see Superman as viewing himself as both innately superior and needing to wear a disguise to let his inferiors know they were just that. Sociopaths project a LOT, as they tend to think they're enlightened of the truths of the world and that the only reason other people don't follow their beliefs is because they're scared of punishment.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, Bill is the Wise Mentor except that he's constantly wrong about the world and the people in it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That may be true Cornwind Evil, and that's an interpretation I've heard before and thought was interesting. That's not the problem I have with it.

The problem is that it's a factually erroneous and painfully outdated view of Superman that most viewers are going to take at face value and reinforce misguided beliefs about the character. Too many viewers forego critical thinking and simply take what they're hearing from Tarantino and nod their heads because on the surface he makes a compelling argument-- if all you know about Superman is his "...more powerful than a locomotive! As mild-mannered Clark Kent he works at the Daily Planet but when danger calls he changes into Superman!..." taglines from pop culture the reasoning Bill gives sounds very solid. That's why it's so drat frustrating. Not because it doesn't work in the context of the movie, it demonstrably does, but because all it really does in practice is create a new generation of people ossified in their belief that "Superman is boring because he's too perfect."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

mind the walrus posted:

The problem is that it's a factually erroneous and painfully outdated view of Superman that most viewers are going to take at face value and reinforce misguided beliefs about the character. Too many viewers forego critical thinking and simply take what they're hearing from Tarantino and nod their heads because on the surface he makes a compelling argument-- if all you know about Superman is his "...more powerful than a locomotive! As mild-mannered Clark Kent he works at the Daily Planet but when danger calls he changes into Superman!..." taglines from pop culture the reasoning Bill gives sounds very solid. That's why it's so drat frustrating. Not because it doesn't work in the context of the movie, it demonstrably does, but because all it really does in practice is create a new generation of people ossified in their belief that "Superman is boring because he's too perfect."

That, unfortunately, is part of a larger problem that has nothing to do with fiction and everything to do with people; they're going to take away from stuff what they take away and want to take away, and if they don't feel the need to look at other aspects and/or change their minds, then that is that. You can't change people's minds, no matter how much you try. Aquaman is a prime example. We comic book fans can definitely see the nuances of his character, but to the public at large he's LOL Talks To Fish Man (Thanks Superfriends). The comics tried so drat hard to 'fix' this by doing stuff like giving him a hook hand and murdering his infant son to cause him angst: end result, most people STILL think of him as LOL Talks To Fish Man. It didn't do a drat thing to change the perception. We have to live with that. Maybe those people will never know the great stuff about Aquaman like his relationship with Mera, or summoning enough sea life to take down an invading Old One, and that's the way it has to be. Hell, one of the main reasons the comic book industry is in such a mess is because it's being run by people who can't stand the idea that their medium is seen as immature and for kids, and keep trying to 'fix' it, only to show that they're still immature and people's assessment of them is accurate.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Cornwind Evil posted:

That, unfortunately, is part of a larger problem that has nothing to do with fiction and everything to do with people; they're going to take away from stuff what they take away and want to take away, and if they don't feel the need to look at other aspects and/or change their minds, then that is that.

Something Bill's speech demonstrates, he concentrates on the older interpretation because he identifies with it more then modern interpretations.

You simply can't hold an author responsible for interpretations of his work as fiction is essentially chaos incarnate once it encounters a wide audience with disparate interpretations front, left, and center.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mind the walrus posted:

That may be true Cornwind Evil, and that's an interpretation I've heard before and thought was interesting. That's not the problem I have with it.

Who cares? People have a lot of acquired opinions about comic books, because the characters are so big in American culture but only nerds read comic books. "Superman's boring because he''s perfect," "Batman has the best villains," "Batman and the Joker are just like, different sides of the same coin," You gotta decide for yourself how much of your life you want to spend trying to correct erroneous common wisdom like that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's not a problem with Kill Bill you have, man, that's a problem you have with some of the people that watched Kill Bill.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

boom boom boom posted:

Who cares? People have a lot of acquired opinions about comic books, because the characters are so big in American culture but only nerds read comic books. "Superman's boring because he''s perfect," "Batman has the best villains," "Batman and the Joker are just like, different sides of the same coin," You gotta decide for yourself how much of your life you want to spend trying to correct erroneous common wisdom like that.

Well, to bring this back to the idea that people take away what they want from fiction... those aren't necessarily incorrect interpretations, since they're all pretty subjective and about characters that, by now, have had a stupid number of incarnations. There isn't one Superman that towers over all other versions and informs them as the One Correct Superman, it's a few basic traits that have been slapped on what is by now at least 50 different distinct characters.

Reeves' Superman is worlds apart from the one in Man of Steel, animated series Clark Kent has almost nothing in common with Smallville Clark Kent. Silver Age wacky adventures Superman and Byrne's "modern" Superman have very little in common. So if someone says Superman is boring, they're really just talking about whichever version of Superman they know or consider most typical. If someone says Superman is SO INSPIRING and that people who don't appreciate him are soulless monsters, they're imbeciles, and they're clearly not talking about the Super Friends version.

I just don't see why anyone has to get mad about what people think about what's essentially a corporate mascot that can be interpreted in millions of ways and made to stand for anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm very well aware of all of that guys. I was just explaining why the Bill speech bugs me because multiple people in multiple threads today are under the impression that people with my opinion just don't "get" how the speech fits into the movie.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm very well aware of all of that guys. I was just explaining why the Bill speech bugs me because multiple people in multiple threads today are under the impression that people with my opinion just don't "get" how the speech fits into the movie.

In the end it's not the speech, it's the rest of the audience. An artist can never be 100% sure what a viewer will take away from their work. I've got my own problems with QT, but I don't think he's really at fault in this case.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I never once blamed Tarantino for the speech nor said it was his fault. I still don't like the speech.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
He also says it had bad art.

Also Batman is a better proxy for all of those accusations.

Also I can't think of a version of superman where he looks down on everyone.

Basically everything Bill says is nonsense and I find it irritating.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Evangeline Lily in talks to be in Ant-Man.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/evangeline-lilly-marvels-ant-man-1201059601/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I mean, I'm rooting for success for any of the LOST cast members, but can't we all just be realistic and admit that Josh Holloway would make a much better Wasp?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

He pretty much did in Kingdom Come, to the point of utter contempt before ghost man 'saved' him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That was more of a learned response after years of truly awful poo poo happening to him and the world he had faith in, and is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

theflyingorc posted:

You never read Grounded?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Other than Almost Human, who is Gina Carano, and why do nerds love her?

She was excellent as the lead in Haywire, the best action movie of 2012 and one of Steven Soderbergh's best movies ever. She'd also make a good Wonder Woman.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For a quick second I thought you said Eugene Levy.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

IUG posted:

You got me straight trippin', boo Hank.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I'm down.

Eugene Levy as Wasp would be superior though, I gotta admit. Did want Rashida Jones.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

IUG posted:

If you paid him with sandwichs I am sure he would do it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 6, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

theflyingorc posted:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fair point, but that's the same Superman who is trying to murder both Lois and Jimmy constantly, so I'm not sure it's a characterization people care about.

I haven't read Grounded, what's up with it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Fair point, but that's the same Superman who is trying to murder both Lois and Jimmy constantly, so I'm not sure it's a characterization people care about.

Its Superman's walk across America and being a condescending rear end to everyone.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

It's the best, you should go out and buy the hardcovers for full price, it's that good.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

It's a preview for the New 52.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

theflyingorc posted:

It's a really bad, obnoxious Superman run where he goes around lecturing people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey man he totally showed how illegal aliens are important to America because they can bring space tech to Earth.

I wish that was a joke.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

redbackground posted:

It's the best, you should go out and buy the hardcovers for full price, it's that good.

I'm waiting for the Absolute, personally.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

redbackground posted:

I feel like I am being tricked.

I had heard about the Walk Across America thing, and that it was very bad, I just didn't know the name of it off the top of my head.

The Best Superman is still unfortunately in Astro City and named Samaritan, tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Daily Mail is claiming that Paul Bettany will be Vision in Avengers AOU, but take it with a huge grain of salt as the Daily Mail is one of the least reputable news sources you can find.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Age-Ultron.html

• Locked thread