Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Safekeeping? When were you planning on returning it?

The Sphinxster posted:

Actually is there anything special about ~Lisa's Story~? That's kind of bugging me now. There's some kind of race, that's about all I know.

The race is a memorial fundraiser, so it's not even part of the story.

Volume posted:

I remember one time after they got running a race for breast cancer. Les was all "You know what I got on my mind?" and his current wife just looked heart broken because she knows he's thinking about his dead wife. She was just so broken and trapped in this enabling relationship. It's sad.

Shugojin posted:

He's just going to keep piling up the ridiculous poo poo, then knock her out and threaten her "guide" into telling her it was all a fever induced hallucination.

Why even bother? She gets back home and writes an article about this white guy who speaks perfect English, wears a purple super-hero costume, and lives in a hidden cave shaped like a skull in the middle of the most remote part of the jungle with a tribe of pygmies and has a hoard of rare and lost or near mythical treasures, and claims to be immortal and hundreds of years old. If anyone publishes it it'll be as fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

Safekeeping? When were you planning on returning it?
He's guarding it. The Phantom Cave is like Fort Knox-level security.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

So, what grade paranoia flowed out when Brooke spent weeks on that dumb bikini microphone story?

Pibgorn

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Love Story is a great piece of music attached to a poorly-written tearjerker, but I see your point about Kutcher's scrotum.

Lio has a shameful secret: his father is aliiiive.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

Just then, Dee Snider, John Denver, and Frank Zappa walk into the court-room.
Dee Snider going into Congress was glorious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Vyr1TylTE

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Gil's mom is the only person who's figured out Compu-Toon.

Retail

I can only see this guy as Gil all grown up and it's something he would say too.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Even robots are recruiting each other as unpaid interns now.

Dustin

Or you could just take them to the supermarket next time you go and dump them all in the CoinStar machine but better to follow your weirdo sister's advice.

On the Fastrack

Talk about a fall from glory.

Safe Havens

Don't know if you can do clinical rotations in space.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Quincy

Domestic Abuse Comix Office Hours

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Do American banks not have coin counting machines? Actually, even before the machines I could take coins, sorted by denomination, into the bank and they'd just weigh them to check the value and deposit it into my account.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

Do American banks not have coin counting machines? Actually, even before the machines I could take coins, sorted by denomination, into the bank and they'd just weigh them to check the value and deposit it into my account.
They do. It's just that whenever Steve Kelley goes out somewhere he prefers to only deal with the customer service clerks and not the machines so he can be a dick.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Tiggum posted:

The race is a memorial fundraiser, so it's not even part of the story.

Wasn't this an edit? An edit that fooled a lot of us, but an edit nonetheless.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Midnight Moth posted:

They do. It's just that whenever Steve Kelley goes out somewhere he prefers to only deal with the customer service clerks and not the machines so he can be a dick.

I live in the Midwest and my bank's branches don't all have change counters, nor did the ones that do get them before a couple of years ago. gently caress dumping my change into the machine at the supermarket or whatever. The only commercial ones that I've seenre ones that take 10% off the top. When faced with that kind of usury, you had better believe I rolled me some coins.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
So how much does all that coin-counting net you? A buck an hour? You're better off leaving it on the sidewalk.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Or you could just take them to the supermarket next time you go and dump them all in the CoinStar machine but better to follow your weirdo sister's advice.
Jesus, how long is he supposed to be taking to count 50 pennies, anyway? Is he polishing each of them or giving them all names or something? Seriously, I can't imagine it taking anyone longer than a minute to put together a roll of pennies, if that much.

I've done worse jobs for far less than $30/hr. We all have.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan, MD

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trilobite posted:

Jesus, how long is he supposed to be taking to count 50 pennies, anyway? Is he polishing each of them or giving them all names or something? Seriously, I can't imagine it taking anyone longer than a minute to put together a roll of pennies, if that much.

I've done worse jobs for far less than $30/hr. We all have.

Yeah, no kidding. Just sort them into stacks/groups of five or something (can easily be done at a glance with no effort), then when you finish that count however many groups you have. Or, if you're putting them in rolls, sort the stacks of five into groups of ten stacks each as you work. It's easy, it's fast, it doesn't feel like much work at all. It's a zero-effort job you can do in minutes. Heck, I've sorted piles of mixed change faster than that.

Unrelated, wow, Luann is actually going ahead with making Les the villain here, and in the stupidest way possible. This is terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just Dan Again posted:

Wasn't this an edit? An edit that fooled a lot of us, but an edit nonetheless.

:ssh: It's not often I get the chance to try to fool people twice with the same edit.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stay safe yall that have a lot of snow and/or ice.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Tiggum posted:

:ssh: It's not often I get the chance to try to fool people twice with the same edit.

Tiggumed again.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Domestic Abuse Comix Office Hours

This strip is really good and I'm astounded it's not satire

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan, MD

On the one hand, it's good to see a storyline about men in domestic abuse situations. On the other hand "let her shoot you"? Come on Rex Morgan, what the heck.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Wouldn't want to throw one in a snowbank or anything, would you?

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

This is amazing. A good dad.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Yep, I totally got that one! :barf: :v:

Jane's World

Isn't that greeting a little forward, Skye? I mean, you guys only went out one time.

Non Sequitur

Ok, "sign here to prove you're not a bigot" cracked me up. Nice, Wiley.

Heavenly Nostrils

Todd's the best!

Kliban is Monday's. Dunno what's up.

9 Chickweed Lane 2/5/2003

Bleh. Dumb.

Zits

Seriously. I still have the bottle of "Old Spice" that my daughter gave me when she was 6. She's 19 now. :corsair: :v:

Kevin & Kell

Ok, not bad Holbrook. I chuckled at a that remark.

Nemi

:)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Time for some Gettin' into trouble from your own brain comix
Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (February 8, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (February 8, 1956)

Out Our Way (May 21-22, 1924)

e:
\/\/\/ It's about how good the grass feels between your toes. His mom probably told him to keep his shoes on, so he's splitting the difference.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 5, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (May 21, 1924)

I just cannot figure out what's going on in this comic. :confused:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
March 29 & 30, 1918

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I just cannot figure out what's going on in this comic. :confused:

The boy on the left is trying to convince the boy on the right to take his shoes off and go barefoot. The boy in the middle is refusing because the third child, his little brother, will tell their parents and get him in trouble. The small child lacks belt or braces and is requesting a pin to hold his trousers up with.

The dawg is interested in the tree, or its contents.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/5/2003

Bleh. Dumb.

The "ravening beast" strips really creep me out. It's like Brooke is trying to romanticize men being uncontrollable rapists and women should totally want to have that effect on them. :psyduck:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

:smith:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

From heavy metal to cock rock. :sigh:

Reagan's prostate might have inspired the band Reagan's Polyp. Maybe.

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Cornered brings the pain of lame jokes today.

Cow And Boy is in reruns, so hopefully Mark Leiknes is making some syndication money off of that.

Let's just go ahead and get Cowtown out of the way.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Fok_It

February 5th is the birthday of Johan Ludvig Runeberg, the Swedish-speaking national poet of Finland. It's customary to eat Runeberg tortes which according to the legend were invented by his wife Fredrika. Apparently she did have a cookbook which had a similar recipe, so maybe it was just a variation using the ingredients she had at home at the time.

A torte and a tart are both called a torttu in Finnish, and like I mentioned back in December it's also a colloqualism for "turd". The torte's line cuts off here before he manages to explain what "Fredrika Runeberg was the first one to" do, but the Finnish verb here was väänsi. Vääntää means "to twist" or "to wrench" (väänsi being 3rd person singular simple past), but it's often used as a flavor word for "to make/do something with effort". A fine verb for making a torte, but if we're talking about turds, a possible translation would be "to squeeze out".

tiistai fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 5, 2014

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

We're all about the moolah today, aren't we? I'm not sure which is less sensible, the 57839th incident of 'supervillains fail to understand the merits of selling their technology legally' or the logic of 'crooks can't take that! I should take that!'

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Drakyn posted:

'crooks can't take that! I should take that!'

It belongs in a museum! moldy old cave!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That year long arc with Sarvana was awesome, but the Phantom is really starting to annoy me. He is just reading like a Marty-Stu. Always right, always on top of things.
Getting SHOT by Sarvana was awesome, but that was in the sundays.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin. Moomin? Moomin!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Roland Jones posted:

Luann ...stupidest way possible...terrible.

There, summed up Luann for everyone.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
I was hoping Luann would improve when Evans' daughter took over but it actually managed to get worse.

Slylock Fox

Dude, Lady Lynx is wearing a fur coat. A fur coat. Whether or not she took a hat is the least of your worries. Although the real answer is that Slylock is looking to chat up Lady Lynx later after saving her in her time of distress.

Moose and Molly

Chester's reason for loving winter is pure spite toward his neighbor. Never mind that he can't use his pool himself, if Moose can't use it that's good enough for him.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Has anyone ever considered trying to cook anything from this strip? I'll admit that I was tempted to when I read the strip in my paper, but I never got around to it because we never had any necessary ingredients.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I haven't yet, but the recipe in that strip sounds delicious as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

SubNat posted:

Moomin. Moomin? Moomin!

I've been skipping over the Moomins until recently. How could I have made such a terrible mistake for so long? That third skate tied to Edward's tail :kimchi:

• Locked thread