Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ironsolid posted:

Let the water absorb all of the goodness from the chicken and have more nutrients in your stock.
After about 30-40 minutes of simmering, remove all of the chicken from the stock

this is like, at least 1/3 to about 1/6th as long as you need to simmer meat for stock. This is a starting point for pressure cooker stock for sure, but not from atmospheric pressure stock making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ironsolid posted:

After about 30-40 minutes of simmering
You probably want to go for something like 5 hours of simmering instead. Or on the pressure cooker for about an hour.

30-40 minutes is not nearly enough time for turning collagen into gelatin, which is the goal of making bone stock.

Your test is whether the stock turns semi-solid in the fridge.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't follow the entire recipe but I do like modernist cuisine's technique to bring the meat and bones (if uncooked) to a boil and drain, then add more water and then your aromatics and veggies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can you post more details about it?

That sounds like a Chinese thing

edit: wait is this it?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/dining/09modernistrex.html?_r=0

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Blanching the bones first will create a clearer stock, Some say better tasting too. I haven't really experimented with it myself but willl someday. There is more than one way to make a stock. Well except that way a few posts up :colbert:

copen fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 5, 2014

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My favorite poor-food leftovers meal is hash. Tonight I made one with sweet potatoes, black beans, frozen corn and onion and threw a fried egg on top.

Put oil in a skillet, soften the onion (and garlic if you have some), then add the sweet potatoes and cook until they start browning. Once they're browned (or in my case you realize that's not happening) add spices (per my starter recipe from Vegetarian Times 4 tsp of cumin, I also add a chili if I have one or cayenne if I don't). Cook for a few seconds, then add a little under a cup of water. Let cook and stir until the potatoes are tender. Also add in anything you're using that needs to cook.

Once potatoes are tender, add beans and frozen corn. Start cooking the egg in another pan. By the time everything's heated through, your egg is done and you can eat.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

2 years and this thread is still going huh? I kind of need it again, however I've gotten much better at buying things that you can re-use and recycle leftovers with.

My boyfriend was visiting a few weeks ago and came up with making a breakfast casserole. Basically just layer egg(cheap), hash browns(potatoes are cheap), some cheese, sausage, and maybe some bell peppers. I pre-cooked all but the eggs and cheese and then threw it in the oven. If you really want to go the cheap or vegetarian way you can skip the sausage.

You really only have to do a lot of work one morning so you can have breakfast for a few days. It stayed pretty fresh and we actually put the left overs in tortillas with sriracha for spicy breakfast burritos.

Another thing we did was stew. Seriously beef or venison stew is the bomb and if you buy a large amount of the vegetables you can use them later in stir fry or steam them or pretty much anything. Also, I stand by the fact that stew is always better the second day, so make lots of it!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I tried the pressure cooking method for broth and lol I'm never doing it the "old school" way anymore ever. Are the pressure cooker cooking times similar for other types of broth?.

In the "poor food" category what I did this week was buy a big bag of chicken thighs (4-5$ for 7-8 legs) and a big back of bone-in chicken breast (8 breasts for 8-9$).

Roasted all the thighs in the oven with a poo poo ton of onions and 4-5 garlic cloves, removed the meat from them, used the cooking juices to make a gravy. Eat gravy with thigh meat, roasted onions, sweet potatoes and some veggies. Today I'll be using the same meat for hot chickens and tomorow I'll probably make a fried rice or whatever I'll think of.

Sad I made the mistake of throwing away the roasted bones because I was stupid, should have kept them for the broth I made today, would have added more flavor to my broth to have some roasted bones in there.

Deboned the breasts, and cooked 8 delicious chicken tenderloin for dinner while I made broth (just put some satay style spices and salt on them and fried it up in the pan) then pressure cooked the bones with some onions, carrots, etc. to make a delicious broth. Got about 2L that I put in the freezer. Also put all the breast individually packed in the freezer so I have 8 chicken breasts waiting for me in the freezer for when the groceries are more expensive.

This all felt pretty amazing. For about 13$ I got enough meat for about 15 to 20 meals if I eat 1 whole chicken breast a meal and it's not just one big batch of something I'll get tired of. Also got a good amount of delicious broth for soups and sauces. Whole chickens are in the 6-10$ price range most of the time here so it felt good getting what was basically 4 whole chickens and a few extra thighs for 13$.

Steve Yun posted:

You probably want to go for something like 5 hours of simmering instead. Or on the pressure cooker for about an hour.

30-40 minutes is not nearly enough time for turning collagen into gelatin, which is the goal of making bone stock.

Your test is whether the stock turns semi-solid in the fridge.

I think/hope he was saying that after 30-40 minutes you can remove the meat from the bones if you wish to use the meat for other applications since it'll be horrible if you leave it for longer. Then you put the bones back into the pot and let it simmer for hours. It's a good idea to do this if you're poor since "wasting" meat in a stock isn't great if you're trying to eat for as little as possible.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 5, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah I see the "you can start this when you get home from work, and simmer it until you go to bed" part now

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Since this is the poor people thread and were talking about stock... If at all possible, buy whole chicken. Wings and spine all have a terrific amount of connective tissue and are delicious. With a sharp knife and a little practice, it doesn't take long at all to break. The bird down into pieces, or just roast whole. If you keep your eye out for sales, whole birds are right in line with thighs in price.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

I think/hope he was saying that after 30-40 minutes you can remove the meat from the bones if you wish to use the meat for other applications since it'll be horrible if you leave it for longer. Then you put the bones back into the pot and let it simmer for hours. It's a good idea to do this if you're poor since "wasting" meat in a stock isn't great if you're trying to eat for as little as possible.

You can also just debone the thighs and drums. Its not very hard with practice. Then you can cook the meat from raw in other things and aren't limited with it being poached in bland water.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can also just debone the thighs and drums. Its not very hard with practice. Then you can cook the meat from raw in other things and aren't limited with it being poached in bland water.

completely agree. You can also roast the thighs whole, debone them and use the roasted bones for stock (I don't mind deboning breast, but don't like doing the same with thighs unless it's already cooked)

When I first started making stock I would use the "poaching" method, but have since stopped because like you say the meat you get is pretty bland, you need to use it in something with plenty of spices/sauce for it to be enjoyable.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So as a "I did a really delicious thing for cheap" recipe, I threw a ~1 lb hunk of bottom round into a slow cooker with a handful of crushed green olives, some random raisins, a vidalia roughly chopped, and a can of tomato chunks pureed so it was more sauce-like and a couple dashes of balsamic vingar and it was loving GREAT

I had it at low for 4 hours and it came out delicious and great. It's a modification of Alton Brown's pot roast recipe but concentrate less on the quality and more of the basic tenants of the recipe: it's great, easy, and was literally left overs in my fridge that fed me, my girlfriend (+$1 of frozen vegetables) and there's a lunch for me tomorrow.

snailassault
Feb 28, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

When I first started making stock I would use the "poaching" method, but have since stopped because like you say the meat you get is pretty bland, you need to use it in something with plenty of spices/sauce for it to be enjoyable.

Make tuna salad with it instead of tuna. Works pretty well.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

snailassault posted:

Make tuna salad with it instead of tuna. Works pretty well.

This is how I always make my chicken salad. You get stock and a ton of meat for very little effort

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Since this is the poor people thread and were talking about stock... If at all possible, buy whole chicken. Wings and spine all have a terrific amount of connective tissue and are delicious. With a sharp knife and a little practice, it doesn't take long at all to break. The bird down into pieces, or just roast whole. If you keep your eye out for sales, whole birds are right in line with thighs in price.
Hell. Buy chicken bones. I can get enough chicken carcasses to fill my pressure cooker for two or three bucks, noting that chicken up here in Canada is more expensive in general than down in the US. Most butcher shops that carry chicken will have chicken carcasses available (often frozen), left over from when they break down whole chickens. If you use a lot of stock but don't necessarily buy chicken all the time (or can't afford to), this is a great way to keep your stock supply healthy.

That said, I've come across a couple butchers that price their chicken bones fairly high, so YMMV even between stores within the same area.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bombhand posted:

Hell. Buy chicken bones. I can get enough chicken carcasses to fill my pressure cooker for two or three bucks, noting that chicken up here in Canada is more expensive in general than down in the US. Most butcher shops that carry chicken will have chicken carcasses available (often frozen), left over from when they break down whole chickens. If you use a lot of stock but don't necessarily buy chicken all the time (or can't afford to), this is a great way to keep your stock supply healthy.

That said, I've come across a couple butchers that price their chicken bones fairly high, so YMMV even between stores within the same area.

A lot of retailers sell chicken backs like this, in addition to beef bones, pig knuckles, etc so you can make thick, rich stocks for very little money.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

bombhand posted:

I've never seen this here. I buy beef bones like this, but never thought to ask about chicken. Thanks!

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
I am on quite the budget this year, and I want to make a semi-fancy meal for my SO coming up this V-day. Any good suggestions on some budget meals that have a bit of upscale look to them? You culinary geniuses seem to have a handle on this kind of thing. Total meal possibly under 30 dollars? I'm decent at cooking...bad at ideas.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

tagelthebagel posted:

I am on quite the budget this year, and I want to make a semi-fancy meal for my SO coming up this V-day. Any good suggestions on some budget meals that have a bit of upscale look to them? You culinary geniuses seem to have a handle on this kind of thing. Total meal possibly under 30 dollars? I'm decent at cooking...bad at ideas.

With some cream you can make potatoes very fancy. Maybe some meat or salmon and scalloped sweet potatoes? When my husband wants to be impressive he makes a quiche and that is super cheap.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

tagelthebagel posted:

Apple rose tart:

It's very labor intensive though. But worth it.

Hasselback Potatoes also look pretty nice:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pan roasted sweetbreads are a super trendy thing and the raw ingredients are Hella cheap. Serve with a pommes puree or other pureed veg, celeriac or sunchokes would be great.

Braised beef shank osso bucco is also pretty cheap to make and looks fancy.

Chicken liver mousse is a great app that is also cheap to make. Serve with sliced toasted baguette

Panna cotta is just cream, sugar, gelatin, and flavoring and is delicious.

Can do a pan roasted chicken leg quarter. There are ways to do a fancy debone of a leg quarter too which is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgIjAqeVYQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pasta courses are a great first course that is generally pretty cheap too. Toss some piping hot spaghetti with parm, butter, and a bit of prosciutto (pricey but you don't need much at all) get from the deli so you only need to get a couple of slices.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 8, 2014

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Hasselback Potatoes also look pretty nice:

Oh those potatoes look amazing! Thank you for posting this, definitely going to try it out and make use of my potatoes. :)

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
To add to the fancy-meal-on-a-budget talk, I would say that you should go for stuff you know you can execute well--doing things on a budget sometimes (unfortunately) means doing stuff you know you can do well, so you don't waste food. Or, if you do experiment, do it with cheap stuff. Pastry is cheap to gently caress up since its ingredients (butter, flour, eggs, sugar, etc) are all pretty inexpensive staples. Making extra or making it over again is mostly going to cost you time more than anything else. If you're looking to experiment, maybe try making homemade pasta or ravioli? Even when they come out a little thick, they're incredible, and they eat like a main course. If you really want to include meat, a ragu (from Grav's thread) is totally killer, and ground pork is generally quite inexpensive.

My own question, though: I've got a bunch of shrimp shells, but no heads. I want to make stock and use it for something, maybe risotto? Maybe something Asian? Anyone have thoughts on a method of stockmaking and what to do with it that'll make it taste extra shrimpy? My main fear is that it'll come out tasting like generic veggie stock in risotto or some Asian dish.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Nicol Bolas posted:

To add to the fancy-meal-on-a-budget talk, I would say that you should go for stuff you know you can execute well--doing things on a budget sometimes (unfortunately) means doing stuff you know you can do well, so you don't waste food. Or, if you do experiment, do it with cheap stuff. Pastry is cheap to gently caress up since its ingredients (butter, flour, eggs, sugar, etc) are all pretty inexpensive staples. Making extra or making it over again is mostly going to cost you time more than anything else. If you're looking to experiment, maybe try making homemade pasta or ravioli? Even when they come out a little thick, they're incredible, and they eat like a main course. If you really want to include meat, a ragu (from Grav's thread) is totally killer, and ground pork is generally quite inexpensive.

Homemade pasta is a good idea (as are Hasselbeck potatoes). Gnocchi is another cheap, impressive dish, and you can sauté it with other stuff you have on hand for a nice meal.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for all the replies I'll see what I come up with and what I can execute (good idea) and maybe post some pictures after V-day or during the process...if it goes well yeah! If not maybe the pictures will be me eating for 2.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Saw this posted today:

Good and Cheap is a collection of recipes for folks with limited income, particularly those on SNAP benefits (formerly the Food Stamp program). The book is a work-in-progress capstone project for my MA in Food Studies from NYU.

http://www.leannebrown.ca/cookbooks/

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tacos:

Get some corn tortillas (packs of them can be had for $1 around here), or go even cheaper and make them yourself (don't ask me how to do that though). Get a bag of pinto beans, some white or yellow onions, some jalapeno or serrano peppers, and some cilantro, unless you're a godless cilantro hater. Get some hot sauce too. My favorites are Tapatio and El Pato Jalapeno, which can both be had for under $2, sometimes under $1. And if you feel like splurging, get an avocado or two and a lime.

Cook the beans. Dice up an onion and some peppers into tiny little chunks, and then chop the hell out of the cilantro too. As you're finishing up with that, heat up some tortillas in an oven/toaster/pan/skillet/garbage can fire or whatever you use to heat stuff. Add the beans, onion, peppers and cilantro to the tortilla and top it off with some hot sauce and/or avocado and/or some lime juice.

If you want some meat in there too, and don't want to break the bank, don't worry! Find some cheap chorizo. Here in CA, you can get 10oz tubes of pork or beef chorizo for just $1 at Safeway, which is enough for quite a few tacos. Sure, it's made out of salivary glands, lymph nodes, plus tongue and cheek fat, but that's why it's cheap, and it tastes great. Cook it up on a skillet/pan on medium heat, until it gets dark and looks done, which should take no more than 10 minutes. You can also make carne asada for cheap (though not as cheap as the chorizo), but I haven't tried it yet. I'm sure there are some other cheap meat options, but someone else is going to have to comment on that.

It's simple and quick to make aside from the beans (which you can cook using the "quick" 3 hour method if you want, rather than an overnight soak), and you'll always have leftover beans for other stuff. Or you can skip the beans completely, which makes things even easier. But gently caress that, beans are good. The chorizo is also good for breakfast stuff, sandwiches, or mixed in with refried beans. I'm poor as hell and love Mexican food, and this is an easy way to eat a lot of it for cheap.

pico de gallo:

get this stuff:

a few tomatoes
a couple white or yellow onions
cilantro
some serrano or jalapeno peppers
a lime
sugar
salt

Chop everything but the lime up small, and mix it together in a big bowl. Add some water to the bowl until it's halfway up the pile of ingredients. Now add the juice from the lime, and mix it up more. Add salt and sugar as you mix, until it tastes right to you (you obviously don't want too much of either, but you do want some). After you're done mixing it, cover the bowl, and let it soak in your refrigerator for an hour or two. Eat.

If you want to save some time, and make a somewhat different kind of pico de gallo, skip the water/salt/sugar/lime juice, and just use the freshly cut up onion/tomato/cilantro/peppers. Lime juice can go straight on top of your taco/whatever you're eating instead of on your pile of chopped up plants.

Compared to a tub of salsa from the supermarket, you'll end up with more for less money, and it'll taste a lot better.

---------

I guess that's all some pretty basic stuff, but my cooking skills are pretty basic. And basic doesn't mean bad :smugbert:

Also, if anyone is stuck eating instant ramen, ditch the nissin/maruchan brand poo poo and see if you can find some Mama brand noodles. It's not quite as dirt cheap but it's better quality.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A pressure cooker has changed my life wrt cooking beans. What used to be a two day adventure is now done in an hour with no watching the pot.

My particular model also doubles as a slow cooker too. My new favorite appliance.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Home made corn tortillas can be had by buying a bag of Masa Harina, or corn flour. I can find a 5 lb bag of it at the local Save A Lot for $2. All you do is combine the flour with water and salt, mix together, then press, either with a tortilla press or with some parchment paper and a large flat bottomed pan, till it's thin, then cook in a pan till browned. This poo poo'll last you forever. The only downside is that the tortillas tend to be a bit on the weaker side and rip a bit easier than their flour based cousins.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

A pressure cooker has changed my life wrt cooking beans. What used to be a two day adventure is now done in an hour with no watching the pot.

My particular model also doubles as a slow cooker too. My new favorite appliance.

Same but Dutch oven. I put dried beans and water in a Dutch oven, put it in the oven at 325 for 75 minutes, and then the beans are perfect. I typically do that to a pound of beans every Sunday and then split the beans up for various applications throughout the week. Plus I always have a bunch of frozen beans in the freezer for bean emergencies.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Free PDFs, thought I'd share them here

The one on the right the author keeps everything to $4 or less.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rah! posted:

I'm poor as hell and love Mexican food, and this is an easy way to eat a lot of it for cheap.

I come from Mexican migrant workers, who were always poor. Beans and tortillas every loving day poor.

Meat in tacos? You must be rich! Sour cream? What the hell is that poo poo? Salsa with anything other than chilis in it?

I remember a couple years ago on some radio show during the height of the second depression (or whatever you want to call it around 2008), this lady called in and was talking about her and her husband had been on unemployment, and then welfare, and lost their house and both of their cars...

"It got so bad we had to eat beans and tortillas for 3 months!"

So you had to eat what Mexicans normally eat? I feel bad for you lady.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Saw this posted today:

Good and Cheap is a collection of recipes for folks with limited income, particularly those on SNAP benefits (formerly the Food Stamp program). The book is a work-in-progress capstone project for my MA in Food Studies from NYU.

This book is golden. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to base my next week's shop around these recipes.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I come from Mexican migrant workers, who were always poor. Beans and tortillas every loving day poor.

Meat in tacos? You must be rich! Sour cream? What the hell is that poo poo? Salsa with anything other than chilis in it?

I remember a couple years ago on some radio show during the height of the second depression (or whatever you want to call it around 2008), this lady called in and was talking about her and her husband had been on unemployment, and then welfare, and lost their house and both of their cars...

"It got so bad we had to eat beans and tortillas for 3 months!"

So you had to eat what Mexicans normally eat? I feel bad for you lady.

Mexican food is my favorite poo poo on the planet, and I would eat beans and tortillas even I were a multi-billionaire. That lady's crazy. As for the meat in my tacos :colbert: that poo poo's $1 for a 10oz tube of meat scraps. Not exactly pricey fine dining. Fits into my food stamp budget very nicely.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Rah! posted:

As for the meat in my tacos :colbert: that poo poo's $1 for a 10oz tube of meat scraps.

What?

I swear some of you people live in different planets when you can get more than half a pound of ANYTHING for as low as $1

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

What?

I swear some of you people live in different planets when you can get more than half a pound of ANYTHING for as low as $1

Look in the sausage area!

Rah! posted:

Mexican food is my favorite poo poo on the planet, and I would eat beans and tortillas even I were a multi-billionaire. That lady's crazy. As for the meat in my tacos :colbert: that poo poo's $1 for a 10oz tube of meat scraps. Not exactly pricey fine dining. Fits into my food stamp budget very nicely.

Chorizo mixed in your refried beans is delicious especially for tostadas. But I'm talking in the real olden days. Stuff my step-dad talks about, how he never saw a fork until he joined the army, they only had meat in their tacos once a week...

Everyone knows you're making tacos when you're standing in line at the grocery and you've got a pack of corn tortillas ($1.99), small pack of hamburger ($3.00), a head of lettuce ($0.49), a tomato ($0.49), and a 2-liter of coke ($1.49)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

What?

I don't buy chicken until it's < $1/lb. Wait for sales. Go to the stores in the midmorning and scope out the discounts on chicken expiring that day. Talk to the guys that work there.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Ron Jeremy posted:

I don't buy chicken until it's < $1/lb. Wait for sales. Go to the stores in the midmorning and scope out the discounts on chicken expiring that day. Talk to the guys that work there.
By the way, this has to be some kind of America only thing. I've found chicken legs at 1.19/lb once here, but every time I ask if they have something reduced for quick sale, that's near expiry, they look at me like I'm an alien. They don't have days where it's close to expiry, they just cycle the sales to get rid of it before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Whole chickens here hover around 90¢/lb, which is great. I usually just skim for marked down stuff about to expire, since it gets put out on no particular schedule at my local grocery. I love grabbing up a half off thing of pork chops or steak that I'd never buy at full price, then cooking up a feast for friends the same day or filling my freezer.