Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!
I fail to see how it is any different from a 2 year BSN degree...? It's at least 4 semesters either way and you don't have the luxury of a summer break to forget your entire first year. Clinical hours are the same due to BON requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

A BSN in one year. OK cool that seems totally reasonable and a thing that produces high quality nurses.

You're a high quality nurse.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bum the Sad posted:

You're a high quality nurse.

Your dad is a high quality nurse.

Speaking of which, I've been a nurse for about 18 months now and I don't think I've heard even one joke about being a male nurse.

Progress, my friends. Progress.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Hughmoris posted:

Speaking of which, I've been a nurse for about 18 months now and I don't think I've heard even one joke about being a male nurse.

Don't worry I even it out for the both of us. Being prior navy and a male nurse I hear enough for the both of us.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

B-Mac posted:

Don't worry I even it out for the both of us. Being prior navy and a male nurse I hear enough for the both of us.

I'm prior Navy too! :hfive:

It could be that a lot of my coworkers are middle-aged women more intent on trash talking each other, and management, than focusing on me.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

I don't hear many Murse jokes (From patients, anyways. My doctor friends give me never ending poo poo). As a student nurse, I've been asked a few times if I was going to nursing school on my way to getting into medical school, which is kind of amusing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
People just assume I'm going back for my CRNA at some point. That's about the only thing I've noticed as a male nurse.

Roki B posted:

A BSN in one year. OK cool that seems totally reasonable and a thing that produces high quality nurses.
Its definitely got some issues, but we didn't skimp out of class time or clinical time compared to other programs. Second semester we had two-to-three eight hour clinical days, one ten hour clinical, and three days of lecture. Classes six days a week for ~8 hours on average (once a week 12) makes you learn poo poo pretty drat fast, and well. Also, you're missing that while its a "one year BSN" you have to have taken a lot of prerequisites beforehand. Some of my prereqs were two semesters of A&P (lab required), Patho, chem (either a nurse-related chem or one that included organic chem) microbio, genetics, human growth/dev, advanced stats, and nutrition. Psych, sociology, and english comp classes were also required. That list of pre-reqs is pretty close to the first two years of nursing school were made up of, plus we had to take the GREs before admission too. Its not just a one year program, the prereqs add a lot, especially since all of the obvious nursing-related ones had to be taken within the last three (I think) years. Up until a few years ago, that patho requirement actually had to be taken at a graduate level, too.

Could I have used more clinical? Yes. Would I have liked an ICU clinical rotation? Hell yes, but that's not standard at my undergrad either, you need to take it as an elective. Would I have liked research classes that weren't lumped in with, and catered towards, CRNAs and DNP students working on their thesis statements? gently caress yes. Maybe you disagree, and I know plenty of people who do, but you might take a look at it again before you jump straight to conclusions.

edit: That came across as too defensive of my program, I think. There were definitely problems and the whole thing only worked because we had some amazing lab instructors and good clinical ones. If any of those key teachers leave, there are going to be serious problems with the program. They could have done many different things that would have made me a better nurse, no doubt. But I'd imagine that's true of all programs.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 28, 2014

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Ravenfood posted:

People just assume I'm going back for my CRNA at some point. That's about the only thing I've noticed as a male nurse.
Its definitely got some issues, but we didn't skimp out of class time or clinical time compared to other programs. Second semester we had two-to-three eight hour clinical days, one ten hour clinical, and three days of lecture. Classes six days a week for ~8 hours on average (once a week 12) makes you learn poo poo pretty drat fast, and well. Also, you're missing that while its a "one year BSN" you have to have taken a lot of prerequisites beforehand. Some of my prereqs were two semesters of A&P (lab required), Patho, chem (either a nurse-related chem or one that included organic chem) microbio, genetics, human growth/dev, advanced stats, and nutrition. Psych, sociology, and english comp classes were also required. That list of pre-reqs is pretty close to the first two years of nursing school were made up of, plus we had to take the GREs before admission too. Its not just a one year program, the prereqs add a lot, especially since all of the obvious nursing-related ones had to be taken within the last three (I think) years. Up until a few years ago, that patho requirement actually had to be taken at a graduate level, too.

Could I have used more clinical? Yes. Would I have liked an ICU clinical rotation? Hell yes, but that's not standard at my undergrad either, you need to take it as an elective. Would I have liked research classes that weren't lumped in with, and catered towards, CRNAs and DNP students working on their thesis statements? gently caress yes. Maybe you disagree, and I know plenty of people who do, but you might take a look at it again before you jump straight to conclusions.

edit: That came across as too defensive of my program, I think. There were definitely problems and the whole thing only worked because we had some amazing lab instructors and good clinical ones. If any of those key teachers leave, there are going to be serious problems with the program. They could have done many different things that would have made me a better nurse, no doubt. But I'd imagine that's true of all programs.

Best of luck to you in your crazy endeavor. At least you aren't doing pre-reqs in the year because that would be actually impossible. As long as you're smart whatever deficiencies you may leave the program with should be able to be fixed within a year or two of on the job learning. Still though, do you even have time for other things in life during this?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Roki B posted:

Best of luck to you in your crazy endeavor. At least you aren't doing pre-reqs in the year because that would be actually impossible. As long as you're smart whatever deficiencies you may leave the program with should be able to be fixed within a year or two of on the job learning. Still though, do you even have time for other things in life during this?
Not really, no. I certainly couldn't work while doing it. Everyone in the program was living off loans, parents, or significant others. I got a little bit of rock climbing in when I could, but it really was a year that just kind of put your life on hold.

But I'm done and I don't regret going through it.

Karmakazi
Dec 24, 2013
So I have a question but first a short story..

I'm a 26 year old man who's legally blind due to retinopathy of prematurity. I'm low vision, with an acuity of roughly 20/400 in both eyes and poor peripheral (non correctable because well, partially detached retinas). I wanted to pursue a career as a vet tech, and hoped to open my own animal sanctuary one day. I would still like to, but the reality is that the pay is simply not enough to support my family and myself.

So flash forward, now I'm considering becoming an RN, a people nurse instead of a pet nurse if you will. I've done a little research and found out that there are nurses and students with varying degrees of different disabilities, ranging from paraplegic to deaf to various mental health issues.

My question is this: does anyone have any experience with low vision students/nurses? My biggest fear is taking my prerequisites and getting accepted, only to fail or even worse, succeed and not be able to find employment because "nobody wants someone who can't see well in charge of their health, sticking them with needles, ect."

I've been discouraged from a lot of things due to my vision, and I've always just accepted I wouldn't be able to pursue my dreams, that I'd have to settle so to speak.
I personally have confidence in my ability to perform the daily tasks, find veins to poke, administer meds in correct doses, I just have to get close to see fine details of what I'm doing, and I might be a little slower/cautious than a fully sighted RN.

So can I get some advice, or encouragement, or pearls of wisdom, or a "no you're stupid for wanting to be a legally blind nurse, go be a truck driver or pilot trollolol."

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Karmakazi posted:

I'm a 26 year old man who's legally blind due to retinopathy of prematurity. I'm low vision, with an acuity of roughly 20/400 in both eyes and poor peripheral (non correctable because well, partially detached retinas). I wanted to pursue a career as a vet tech, and hoped to open my own animal sanctuary one day. I would still like to, but the reality is that the pay is simply not enough to support my family and myself.

So flash forward, now I'm considering becoming an RN, a people nurse instead of a pet nurse if you will. I've done a little research and found out that there are nurses and students with varying degrees of different disabilities, ranging from paraplegic to deaf to various mental health issues.

My question is this: does anyone have any experience with low vision students/nurses? My biggest fear is taking my prerequisites and getting accepted, only to fail or even worse, succeed and not be able to find employment because "nobody wants someone who can't see well in charge of their health, sticking them with needles, ect."

I've been discouraged from a lot of things due to my vision, and I've always just accepted I wouldn't be able to pursue my dreams, that I'd have to settle so to speak.
I personally have confidence in my ability to perform the daily tasks, find veins to poke, administer meds in correct doses, I just have to get close to see fine details of what I'm doing, and I might be a little slower/cautious than a fully sighted RN.

So can I get some advice, or encouragement, or pearls of wisdom, or a "no you're stupid for wanting to be a legally blind nurse, go be a truck driver or pilot trollolol."

Most schools have accommodations for people with disabilities ask the schools you would apply to about it. I assume you can get "around" it. That it may be problematic but you won't be unable to work because you are feeling sorry for yourself.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Karmakazi posted:

One of the great things about having a nursing license is that there are literally hundreds of different roles you can perform. You might have a hard time getting a job as a floor nurse, where your vision may interfere with your ability to perform assessments in poorly lit patient rooms, but that doesn't mean you can't get into nurse education, nurse case management, nursing infomatics, etc.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!
It's tough to say without knowing really what your deficits are, but I would recommend shadowing some nurses in areas of interest and maybe meeting with some representatives from the school of nursing you are considering before you jump in.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Karmakazi posted:

the reality is that the pay is simply not enough to support my family and myself.

Going into nursing "for the money" is a poor idea.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

end mill facade posted:

Going into nursing "for the money" is a poor idea.

Shh, don't tell him how cushy this is, I mean I hardly even work!

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Nursing school question!

So I'm in my second semester of nursing school and it's just going abysmally compared with my first semester. I'm not studying any differently but my test grades have gone from Bs and maybe an A every now and again to all Cs. Weirdly enough the class I am having trouble in is not pharmacology but a more basic class on nursing care. Our teachers seem to have gotten it into their head that the way to help us succeed is to test us on material that is not taught in class, not taught online, and not available in the book. We've been told that this is to help with our critical thinking skills for the NCLEX. Which I understand in theory but is this really normal for nursing school? To be asked questions you have no possible way of knowing the answer to? I know they're calling it "critical thinking" but it's really just guessing when you have absolutely no basis for comparison.

My professor didn't clarify what was even ON the test until 6pm the night before (I was not home until 9:30pm and so lost any time I had to study the never before heard of material). And yet when I brought it up to her she seemed to think that we should have just magically known that we would be covering material outside of the material she told us we would be covering in the week leading up to the test. So it's like being told you will be tested on ABC on Monday, then told the night before the test that you needed to know D and E as well and getting to the test to find FGH was also required of you but no one bothered to tell you so. Is this normal? Because if so I'm well on my way to failing out of school in the second semester when I had a 3.5GPA the first semester.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Nursing school question!

I am a guinea pig for a new curriculum that sounds like yours and it is so unfun. We have course objectives to go off of, hopefully you at least have those?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Taking my TNCC this week. Any tips? I have the book and have flipped through it but I'm assuming they'll tell us what we need to know to pass the written and skills test. I work in the MICU and it's not required for us to have but I figure it'll look good on the resume when I try to start traveling.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do your teachers routinely answer you with "that's correct, but its not the most correct" when you asked why you got a question wrong on a test when you know you marked the right answer? Because that was the only bullshit I encountered. We had some strange tests, but we always knew what material we'd be tested on (even if it was sometimes "literally everything in the book or in lecture on this topic).

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
TNCC is pretty straightforward, just remember to maintain c spine alignment when rolling a patient and you'll be fine.

Also, the "most correct" thing is how you learn nursing because it's how the NCLEX is written. Also it applies to real life as well since it does make you think critically (even though it sucks during school). You run into it all the time in real life, there is more than one solution to a problem but one way is usually the most correct.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Screw medication lists.

That is all.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

Shh, don't tell him how cushy this is, I mean I hardly even work!

Well I'm chillin with my feet up.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 5, 2014

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

DreamingofRoses posted:

Screw medication lists.

That is all.

goodness, ain't this the truth. I don't see how blindly typing out information out my drug book into a chart for 30 drugs is helping. All I'm getting out of this is "gently caress nursing school and your BS busy work" and every drug causes Nausea and vomiting.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Lava Lamp posted:

goodness, ain't this the truth. I don't see how blindly typing out information out my drug book into a chart for 30 drugs is helping. All I'm getting out of this is "gently caress nursing school and your BS busy work" and every drug causes Nausea and vomiting.

Seizure, Coma, Death.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

djfooboo posted:

I am a guinea pig for a new curriculum that sounds like yours and it is so unfun. We have course objectives to go off of, hopefully you at least have those?

Without going into too much detail to "out" my school, this is exactly what is happening to us. Our school went through changes and now we're the first students experiencing this particular curriculum. We have learning objectives sometimes and study guides sometimes. I don't understand why they don't make it consistent for all classes. The problem with the most recent test that we all failed spectacularly was that over 1/2 the information on the test was never lectured on and therefore no learning objectives were given. It's a lot of being told only one thing will be on the test and not another thing, and that other thing ends up on the test anyway.

Ravenfood posted:

Do your teachers routinely answer you with "that's correct, but its not the most correct" when you asked why you got a question wrong on a test when you know you marked the right answer? Because that was the only bullshit I encountered. We had some strange tests, but we always knew what material we'd be tested on (even if it was sometimes "literally everything in the book or in lecture on this topic).

Because someone managed to cheat somehow last semester and this has something to do with viewing the tests they've basically stopped showing us what we got wrong on everything from simple online quizzes to all tests. We have no way of learning from our mistakes because we have no idea which questions we missed.

DreamingofRoses posted:

Screw medication lists.

That is all.
:downs: :respek: :downs: I'm in the same boat. On the upside my medication list is getting pretty fat, on the downside it has absolutely not been helpful for my understanding of any drugs or their pharmacology.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Koivunen posted:

Also, the "most correct" thing is how you learn nursing because it's how the NCLEX is written. Also it applies to real life as well since it does make you think critically (even though it sucks during school). You run into it all the time in real life, there is more than one solution to a problem but one way is usually the most correct.
I agree, for all my bitching it was actually really helpful in the long run. Its just jarring as all hell when you already have a bachelors in something and you're having to re-learn how to study for tests in addition to all of the nursing stuff.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I just took the TEAS test and I got 84% which is 92nd percentile. What are my chances of getting into nursing school with this?(test average is 64% at my school according to TEAS.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

White Chocolate posted:

I just took the TEAS test and I got 84% which is 92nd percentile. What are my chances of getting into nursing school with this?(test average is 64% at my school according to TEAS.

They take multiple things into account, and not just the TEAS score.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

White Chocolate posted:

It really depends on your school. My school uses test scores and GPA to select the top 3rd or so of the applicants to interview and then use the interview as the deciding factor as to who gets into the program. Among my cohort, the guy with the highest entrance exam test score (I want to say 95%/99th) didn't get it, because he has terrible people skills.

On the flip side, some programs base admission solely on grades and test scores, in which case you're looking good.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Holy crap.

Test on Fluid and Electrolytes and Respiratory disorders (Including COPD, discluding asthma tomorrow).

Respiratory alkalosis here I come.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Thursday I take the entrance HESI and throw my hat in to start in the fall at my local ADN program. Anxiety is starting to creep up. Not about the entrance exam, but about afterwards, when I have no more control over my fate.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on websites / tools when looking for a job whether it be in state or out of state?

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
Best to look up hospitals and then hit their own job search.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lava Lamp posted:

Best to look up hospitals and then hit their own job search.

And after that, go up there and start knocking on doors.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

And don't forget home health agencies, nursing homes, school boards, large companies, etc. etc. Nurses are employed everywhere.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Well I was actually referring to sites like monster / craigslist / indeed (just found about this one).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Etrips posted:

Well I was actually referring to sites like monster / craigslist / indeed (just found about this one).
Every hospital should have hiring info. Look there first.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
You mean besides networking heavily during clinicals? That's how just about everyone I knew got employed.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

LorneReams posted:

You mean besides networking heavily during clinicals? That's how just about everyone I knew got employed.

I should rephrase that I am mostly looking at moving to another state once I get licensed as the cost of living in Virginia absolutely sucks and want to move to a more rural area (Tennessee/North Carolina/etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Etrips posted:

I should rephrase that I am mostly looking at moving to another state once I get licensed as the cost of living in Virginia absolutely sucks and want to move to a more rural area (Tennessee/North Carolina/etc).

Are you a new grad nurse or do you have a few years under your belt? As alluded to in other posts, it can be very difficult for a new grad to get hired at a hospital if they don't have any connections (which are typically made during clinical rotations). It might be worth it to stick it out for a year on a med/surg floor locally to make you more attractive to other hospitals.

The other option is to look into areas that have a tough time attracting nurses. The last I heard, this was mostly Texas border towns and North Dakota oilfield boom towns. Since you're concerned about cost of living, the border towns might be more up your alley.

Of course, if you're an experienced nurse, ignore all that and just start firing off applications through hospital websites. Most of the hospitals in my area do almost no advertising for open positions outside of their own website.

Edit: just reread the part about "once you get your license," so stick locally or try Texas.