Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Fully sieging half the counties is frankly the worst option, taking the county capitals means at least the impotent baron-level people that hate you are buried under loyal counts and dukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Sieging the top level holding of a county in an invasion gives you every holding in the county. Not just the occupied baronies.

If it doesn't give you that, it's because of an incorrect tooltip, such as the Muslim invasion which doesn't even give you all occupied territory but just subjugates all vassals/takes any land held by people staying in the original realm.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hellsjudge posted:

I compromised and fully sieged half the counties, but when I ended the war I automagically usurped the kingdom title so I got every holding plus the rest became my vassals, so it worked out nicely.

The only problem is dukes held counties that weren't their de jure territory, but I think I can turn off my sperg for a bit and not worry about perfect borders.

Gross violation of the CK2 players code of conduct. Please correct immediately.

But yeah, as others said if you sieged all the county capitals there would be no counts/dukes left. And you always usurp the kingdom title in an invasion, that is the whole point of it. You can use plots to strip dukes of counties that are not part of their de jure duchy if you want.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I love how Zoroastrian Families double up on relative opinion bonuses: "Father +15, Uncle +5"

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm glad that this is modelling India all the way out to Bengal and Assam -- they're far too important but enough on the periphery that their inclusion couldn't be considered automatic -- but I still feel a tinge of disappointment in the naval and economic game. There is no India in this regard so much as the Indian Ocean, similar to how you couldn't just model Europe without the entire Mediterranean. This period encompasses the entirety of the Arabian Sea -- Bay of Bengal -- East Africa trade and the development of the first large ocean-going ships in Eurasian history. The entire Swahili culture rises and falls in this period as a direct result of this trade. Trade and the economic transition from high medieval to early modern is kind of a disappointing afterthought in the game anyway, so it wouldn't really impact it much. It'll be fun, but it isn't the history.

The generalization of Indian governance and statehood into the same model that Europe uses is more understandable. Still, the biggest thing I'm looking forward to in this DLC is the huge codebase overhaul and memory optimization.

*e* Wait, people thought that there was a chance of their savegames remaining compatible with the update? Seriously?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Still, all this hype about floating gurus, tiger hunts, and reincarnation worries me -- if that's the case, why not give Muslims get Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, djinnis in bottles, and flying carpets?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Still, all this hype about floating gurus, tiger hunts, and reincarnation worries me -- if that's the case, why not give Muslims get Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, djinnis in bottles, and flying carpets?

The game already has a lot of non-historical stuff: a child who is literally the spawn of satan, the option to deal with a portal to hell opening up in a field, Bah 'al drik constantly making his flying machine generation after generation, vikings can find a straight-up +2 axe of smiting. Just roll with it.

If you meant muslim characters should get cooler events I totally agree though

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

lenoon posted:

The game already has a lot of non-historical stuff: a child who is literally the spawn of satan, the option to deal with a portal to hell opening up in a field, Bah 'al drik constantly making his flying machine generation after generation, vikings can find a straight-up +2 axe of smiting. Just roll with it.

If you meant muslim characters should get cooler events I totally agree though

Super rare gag events (wasn't the "portal to hell" just a sinkhole?) are one thing, the problem/worry Dr Sunshine has (and me!) is that this stuff seems to be taking center stage. That's another thing altogether.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
The casual minmaxing of religious bonuses reeks of the horrible Chinese faction system that should never, under any circumstances, be repeated.

*e* In any case I want to trample the Pope with war elephants. Maybe this will be the expansion where PDS realizes that gunpowder units are period accurate, too, and that the retainer system is perfect for modeling late game cannon and matchlocks.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 5, 2014

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I was playing last night and got the warning of a vassal having worrying succession. I pulled it up and saw that her heir was her husband the King of Scotland. I figured "no big deal" and ratcheted up my Crown Authority to High. For whatever reason, the warning didn't go away. Are those kilt wearing dudes going to walk off with 3 of my de jure counties? :ohdear:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Super rare gag events (wasn't the "portal to hell" just a sinkhole?) are one thing, the problem/worry Dr Sunshine has (and me!) is that this stuff seems to be taking center stage. That's another thing altogether.

Yes I suppose you're right there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nth Doctor posted:

I was playing last night and got the warning of a vassal having worrying succession. I pulled it up and saw that her heir was her husband the King of Scotland. I figured "no big deal" and ratcheted up my Crown Authority to High. For whatever reason, the warning didn't go away. Are those kilt wearing dudes going to walk off with 3 of my de jure counties? :ohdear:
I'm 99% sure the warning check is "does the current heir have someone who isn't you as their current liege". You oughta be fine.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I'm not so sure it's actually going to be center stage. I think Paradox is just emphasizing the unique religious events in their marketing because look how many people have said "holy poo poo I need to buy Sons of Abraham" after finding out about the spawn of Satan event. I'm sure that, like the demonspawn event, they'll be rare events.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Another quick succession question, if I am a double king and my primary Kingdom is an Elective Monarchy, the second kingdom is handled separately right? So they may still become independent if I'm not the heir for it (like if it's still under Gavelkind)?

I already converted my secondary to an Elective as well so it's not a problem for the time being, but for the future if say, the two kingdoms vote for different heirs, would that mean two independent kingdoms?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
If they're not under an empire, yup.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Another quick succession question, if I am a double king and my primary Kingdom is an Elective Monarchy, the second kingdom is handled separately right? So they may still become independent if I'm not the heir for it (like if it's still under Gavelkind)?

I already converted my secondary to an Elective as well so it's not a problem for the time being, but for the future if say, the two kingdoms vote for different heirs, would that mean two independent kingdoms?

Exactly. Mixing any succession types with gavelkind will screw you up. Even the developers admitted that inheritance can behave strangely if one of the titles has gavelkind. Never do this.

As for your elective kingdom example, unless you are an emperor the two kingdoms will split, each ruled by the one who won the election.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I currently hold the Kingdom of Aquitaine as Roman Empire but I cannot destroy the title. It says that the succession needs to be "not gravelkind" but it isn't, it's elective. Why can't I destroy the drat thing?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's what I figured. Still a lot better than Gavelkind at least.

Also apparently if you convert from Norse to Christianity while you have boats in a river, they just get stuck there. Not so great!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I currently hold the Kingdom of Aquitaine as Roman Empire but I cannot destroy the title. It says that the succession needs to be "not gravelkind" but it isn't, it's elective. Why can't I destroy the drat thing?

Do you have other titles that are gavelkind? If you have another kingdom or the empire with gavelkind it will prevent you from destroying the title.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think you can't destroy them under Elective either, and possibly can't destroy them under minimal crown authority.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Do you have other titles that are gavelkind? If you have another kingdom or the empire with gavelkind it will prevent you from destroying the title.

Indeed I do have another kingdom with gravelkind. That's pretty dumb...anyway thank you!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Indeed I do have another kingdom with gravelkind. That's pretty dumb...anyway thank you!

It is to prevent you from "cheating". By destroying the other title you could perhaps work around the stupid gavelkind mechanic, and the developers will not let you do that. That's why I said a bit up thread that you should not under any circumstances mix any other succession laws with gavelkind, it will screw you up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

It is to prevent you from "cheating". By destroying the other title you could perhaps work around the stupid gavelkind mechanic, and the developers will not let you do that. That's why I said a bit up thread that you should not under any circumstances mix any other succession laws with gavelkind, it will screw you up.

Im still waiting for the 10 year ruling period so I can change the laws.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Ok, this made me chuckle.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well, I've made my family into Emperors with barely lifting a finger in violence!

Last time, I had managed to, while never rising above the status of a 1-province count, unite West Francia, Lotharingia, East Francia, and Bavaria into a single Holy Roman Empire. This was around 900. Fast-forward 100 years later, and the dynasty of "de La Tour Du Pin" managed to claw their way up to being Dukes of Provence through plotting. We were now vassals of the King of Burgundy, a vassal of the HRE-- which had turned Elective.

Seeing an opportunity, I started a faction, waited until the King of Burgundy was getting his rear end kicked in a war against the Queen of East Francia for some claim, and declared independence.

Now, independence wars while under an emperor are kind of funny, because you're nominally still a vassal of the Emperor while being independent from the King above you. So I found myself as a candidate for the Imperial throne! I promptly voted for myself and was voted the next heir apparent.

Cue phase 2 of the plan. The Kaiser at the time was a newly-minted child, so it was easy to recruit people to my plot to kill him. I started the plot and waited for the inevitable coup de grace. All of this, mind you, while I was still technically at war with my liege, the King of Burgundy.

A few months later, the kid was thrown out of the window, and my family found themselves in the Imperial seat, neatly side-stepping the war against our immediate liege, all without ever having to lift our levies or besiege a province. Also, finding the empire on Free Investiture, I had one of my relatives appointed a prince-bishop, made him the Antipope, and declared war on the Papacy, so now I control the Pope and everything from the French coast to the border of Poland and Hungary.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Epic ironman game where I took the af Munsos from petty viking raiders to Christian kings of Scotland, rapidly expanding into the rest of the British Isles. Have a few bad years of rulers dying young and regencies, just about getting back on my feet. At war to claim all of Wales, have conquered half of Ireland through fabrication, about to inherit a claim on England. Impressive considering I'm still a 12 year old girl - everything is looking up! Oh, what's that? Aztecs invade and I'm insta-kicked to the Faroe Islands, before long they've taken all Ireland and Scotland and are rapidly moving on England and Wales.

Moral of the story: remember to switch off Sunset Invasion if you're playing a character on the west coast of Europe.

e: I've tried to get round it by swearing allegience to the Aztec Emperor, which has worked. I'm still only countess of Fareyar, but at least I'm in a better position to reclaim it all. I've converted to Nahua culture to make him like me a bit more, but is there any way to convert to Aztec religion unless he demands it? I'd quite like to get my sacrifice on (and ensure my liege isn't going to be looking to murder me/strip me of my titles at every opportunity).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The player knows it's [probably] just a sinkhole, but the characters ingame worry it's an actual portal to hell. Similarly when your character is "possessed by the devil" he's [probably] just mentally ill. Are levitating Indian monks real? :iiam:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Im still waiting for the 10 year ruling period so I can change the laws.

If you don't mind taking a huge prestige/reputation hit, you could try creating the empire containing the kingdom title you want to destroy, then destroy the kingdom title, then the empire title again. It worked for me a few times, but I don't really know why.

(But be careful if it's your second empire title and you die just as you're about to destroy it again. Even though both were primogeniture, I suddenly lost half my game to some distant cousin.)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

The player knows it's [probably] just a sinkhole, but the characters ingame worry it's an actual portal to hell. Similarly when your character is "possessed by the devil" he's [probably] just mentally ill. Are levitating Indian monks real? :iiam:

And when you blind and castrate the devil child and his bits regrow it's [probably] just... uh... aliens?

:v:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's what I figured. Still a lot better than Gavelkind at least.

Also apparently if you convert from Norse to Christianity while you have boats in a river, they just get stuck there. Not so great!

That's not a bug, that's just Ęgir giving you the finger.

Astns
Sep 4, 2011
I'm finding this game really difficult to wrap my head around & yet am still deeply captivated by its shennanigans.

All this delicious treachery...

Also, has anyone managed to reform a pagan faith? How does it compare to Catholicism?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

And when you blind and castrate the devil child and his bits regrow it's [probably] just... uh... aliens?

:v:

Devil child is real :ssh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Astns posted:

I'm finding this game really difficult to wrap my head around & yet am still deeply captivated by its shennanigans.

All this delicious treachery...

Also, has anyone managed to reform a pagan faith? How does it compare to Catholicism?

Well, it is pretty rad. Especially if you play Norse since you will become the (heritable) pope of the reformed Norse faith. As soon as crusades and jihads are unlocked you can call your own Great Holy Wars (=crusades for pagans). This is about as powerful as you imagine.

On the other hand, with Sons of Abraham you can get huge benefits if you can manage to get one of your vassals elected pope. Claims on nearly all Christian titles? A bunch of money? That can be pretty powerful.

Anyway, the biggest benefit you get from reforming the faith is to get away from the lovely gavelkind succession law, which one of the biggest threats to a stable realm. And the short realm penalty is much lower once you reform, which will also lower the chance of a succession crisis once your ruler dies.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Torrannor posted:

Anyway, the biggest benefit you get from reforming the faith is to get away from the lovely gavelkind succession law, which one of the biggest threats to a stable realm. And the short realm penalty is much lower once you reform, which will also lower the chance of a succession crisis once your ruler dies.

and being able to force your vassals to convert. Had a few of mine who sneakily converted to Catholicism pre-reforming.

Only think I don't like about reforming norse is having to poke at the HRE

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Robindaybird posted:

and being able to force your vassals to convert.

This is the real benefit of Pagan Reformation. This is huge. Having your vassals fight for other faiths and converting away from you suuuuucks.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tulip posted:

This is the real benefit of Pagan Reformation. This is huge. Having your vassals fight for other faiths and converting away from you suuuuucks.

If they do that clearly you should arrest them and hold a blot to display to their families the foolishness of converting.

I had one duchy in my denmark run with the duke becoming christian, and all his heirs. His wife was a good norse woman. So I imprisoned the whole family sans wife, then held a blot. Then married the wife because she was a Genius.

CK2 is just a giant sociopathy simulator.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Exactly. It could just be someone doing this old magic trick.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
For some reason my only son can't inherit me anymore and everything is going to my idiot daughter. I just reformed the norse faith, he is following our new religion, has a landed title somewhere that's not making him into a Godi or anything. I don't really know what else to include. Could it be because Sweden has yet to pass on medium crown authority (and he has his holding there), but Norway and Denmark have passed it?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

KittyEmpress posted:

If they do that clearly you should arrest them and hold a blot to display to their families the foolishness of converting.

I had one duchy in my denmark run with the duke becoming christian, and all his heirs. His wife was a good norse woman. So I imprisoned the whole family sans wife, then held a blot. Then married the wife because she was a Genius.

CK2 is just a giant sociopathy simulator.

After you posted this, my friend linked me this image (i have no idea of its provenance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tulip posted:

After you posted this, my friend linked me this image (i have no idea of its provenance)

Yeah I've had that one. Made me sad that there is no special event for sacrificing the pope.

Has anyone ever been sacrificed themselves? I'm curious about what the event looks like from the victim's point of view.

• Locked thread