Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Attorney at Funk posted:

I've completely forgotten what I want out of Exalted. What I want now is an apology from DeathMatchFM, and to change my shirt.

What I wanted out of Exalted PR was more people dancing around issues and assuring us everything will be amazing while offering us no content and making me feel kind of uncomfortable in the process, so I couldn't be happier. Thank you Exalted 3e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

DeathmatchFM posted:

Sadly I can't talk detail about how mechanics work, or give any specific examples. I can only do is dance like a little birdie around the issues. I mean, even if I said that Exalted Third Edition got rid of all dice rolling in favor of flipping coins, it wouldn't make sense unless there was some context behind it.

Exalted Third Edition is a great setting that draws on your old loves, but will ultimately help you find new loves too. It's an epic world designed to evoke imaginative storytelling where you have fun times playing make-believe with your superheroes. The mechanics of the game literally just enhance your ability to do that.

Hey if you decided to make up your mind about this game before you've seen anything about it, then I'm not going to change your mind. What I can say is that if you are excited for Third Edition, your excitement is well placed and you won't be disappointed. If you're on the fence, then all I can say is that this that Mørke will deliver, but it won't be done with a forum post. It's going to be done with a quality product, so be patient and see what it has to offer.

Every single bit of creator feedback can just be replaced by this post, over and over.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mikan posted:

What I wanted out of Exalted PR was more people dancing around issues and assuring us everything will be amazing while offering us no content and making me feel kind of uncomfortable in the process, so I couldn't be happier. Thank you Exalted 3e.

I love it when people feel compelled to speak out against the very act of thinking and talking about things before they're released. I love love love it. It's like jazz, man. It's the thoughts you aren't thinking.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bedlamdan posted:

:colbert:

I will never, ever state it outright for you now.

No one wants or needs you to, since we already know that whatever you'd state outright is an awkward and inelegant alternative to "the Dawn skills are archery, brawl, melee, thrown, and war; the martial arts exist as a series of merits and charm trees".

DeathmatchFM
Mar 8, 2013

Mustache Gundam 3.0

Mikan posted:

I do understand. It's December and your parents put the Christmas tree up, and you want to see the presents. Last year was a lame Christmas (you got socks and underwear?) and you're worried about this Christmas.

I can't unwrap the presents for you. All I can say is I was there when you parents got the presents and it's some good stuff. The only thing I have the power to say is that your wait shouldn't be uncomfortable, it should be with excitement.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DeathmatchFM posted:

I do understand. It's December and your parents put the Christmas tree up, and you want to see the presents. Last year was a lame Christmas (you got socks and underwear?) and you're worried about this Christmas.

I can't unwrap the presents for you. All I can say is I was there when you parents got the presents and it's some good stuff. The only thing I have the power to say is that your wait shouldn't be uncomfortable, it should be with excitement.

Oh my god man, leave them alone. They're just metaphors, you monster. They never hurt anybody.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

DeathmatchFM posted:

How often is it that I actually show up on the Exalted community to make a comment anymore? Let me talk about Third Edition.

First of all, if when you were eight years old your parents told you that you were moving out of the cramped apartment that had shady electrical systems and rats in the walls to a beautiful single-family home with friendly neighbors who bring you pumpkin pies every weekend, and you cried and whined and screamed and they had to drag you out of the house while you held onto the rotten couch that smells like cat urine, and you have NOT matured beyond this point in your life, you might not like Third Edition.

Second of all, if you are the sort of person who cannot accept change to any extent, to the level where you keep a white shirt covered in holes and spaghetti stains and upon receiving a fresh pack of new white shirts from family on Christmas, throw the new shirts aside because you're used to the old ratty thing that you had previously, you might not like Third Edition.

Third of all, if you do not like engaging roleplaying games that are interactive, where you and friends design fictional heroes who are placed in a world filled with both wonder and danger, where-in you proceed to make what you will of that world be it saving the day while riding in on a horse plated with golden armor or manipulating people from the shadows to dominate it, wielding superpowers derived from the most powerful gods in existence, then you might not like Third Edition.

I see a lot of people griping about mechanics, and it just needs to stop. The change from First Edition to Second Edition was like upgrading from your old Playstation 2 to a Playstation 3. Some stuff was different, and at first you might not have seen the reason to upgrade at all, but gradually you noticed the Playstation 3 had better graphics and more modern games. Playstation 2 remained dear in your heart, but hey you could play some Playstation 3.

Third Edition is not the Playstation 4 to Second Edition's Playstation 3. When you start Third Edition you are put onto a rocketship which blasts you to the moon, where you participate in a virtual reality cyber game in a high-tech futuristic battlefield that pits intellect, skill, and courage against your enemies. You control the living avatars of your game with your very mind due to the updated hardware, and you see gaming taken to an entirely new level, and you're on the moon.

If you really liked having to just hold a controller, don't want to see new virtual reality games, are afraid of progress and the future, then fine. Play your Playstation 2 and Playstation 3. I'm not taking them from you. John Mørke isn't taking it from you. And if you want to ride that rocketship, you can bring your old gaming systems with you if you want to. But by the time you get up there, many you won't care about those things anymore.

I see too much emphasis being placed on the mechanics. But lets be real, there are lots of different roleplaying systems and they have lots of different takes on how combat plays out. Exalted Third Edition is not doing the nasty, boring, unfun things that previous editions did. But it is not going to be Warhammer 40K Roleplay, or Dungeons and Dragons, or GURPS. It's still Exalted. If you don't like Exalted, then hey don't ride this rocketship. But if you did like Exalted in previous editions, just not covered with vomit and cow feces, then you'll love Third Edition's approach.

Let me finish off by saying this. I've known Mørke for years now, and he's not stupid. He's not selling you just some mechanics. The combat is the corn to the fabulous, juicy steak that he's cooking up. Now personally, I like corn. I like it buttery and with a bit of pepper, and John knows how to make some drat good corn. But I'm not on this rocketship for the corn, and you shouldn't be either. It's the juicy steak that is there that you want. Exalted is a Storytelling game, and that storytelling and setting is that wonderful steak. If you only want to eat corn, or the corn is all you care about, then I can't help it if you feel unsatisfied. But if you take even a bite of this steak, you'll remember that the corn was only a side dish.

I read this and reflexively visualized someone riding in tight circles around me on a dirt bike, shouting it at the top of their lungs.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

DeathmatchFM posted:

Let me finish off by saying this. I've known Mørke for years now, and he's not stupid. He's not selling you just some mechanics. The combat is the corn to the fabulous, juicy steak that he's cooking up. Now personally, I like corn. I like it buttery and with a bit of pepper, and John knows how to make some drat good corn. But I'm not on this rocketship for the corn, and you shouldn't be either. It's the juicy steak that is there that you want. Exalted is a Storytelling game, and that storytelling and setting is that wonderful steak. If you only want to eat corn, or the corn is all you care about, then I can't help it if you feel unsatisfied. But if you take even a bite of this steak, you'll remember that the corn was only a side dish.

Suppose what I remember is the corn in the turd after?

Second Edition, more like Second Harvest, am I right?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

DeathmatchFM posted:

Jesus, just shut up.

Ferrinus posted:

No one wants or needs you to, since we already know that whatever you'd state outright is an awkward and inelegant alternative to "the Dawn skills are archery, brawl, melee, thrown, and war; the martial arts exist as a series of merits and charm trees".

No it sounds like you need to. Look, here you go. Martial Arts and Brawl are separate abilities with dots apportioned separately.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

DeathmatchFM posted:

Hey, question from the audience: how come the order in which I unwrap my presents causes their value and quality to change, such that I have to carefully plan an optimal unboxing sequence or else permanently lose out on Christmas cheer?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Doc Aquatic posted:

I read this and reflexively visualized someone riding in tight circles around me on a dirt bike, shouting it at the top of their lungs.

While Dave Mustaine himself shredded the hell out of Grabbag in the background.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Combat as war? No. Combat as corn.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Hey, question from the audience: how come the order in which I unwrap my presents causes their value and quality to change, such that I have to carefully plan an optimal unboxing sequence or else permanently lose out on Christmas cheer?

The Christmas metaphor is doubly hilarious because, get this: everyone knows when Christmas is

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

DeathmatchFM posted:

Could you shill any harder? Please, stop talking if you aren't going to provide anything tangible.

Winson_Paine posted:

Suppose what I remember is the corn in the turd after?

Second Edition, more like Second Harvest, am I right?

If you replaced Exalted's Storyteller mechanics with a brand new system derived from Harvest Moon's gameplay I promise you it would be better than anything you will get from Exalted Third Edition, though I can't tell you the specifics save in vague metaphors.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, and also you are not allowed to complain if what you get is nothing like what you wanted, or if it doesn't work right. Just loving enjoy it, all right? They made it for you.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Bedlamdan posted:

No it sounds like you need to. Look, here you go. Martial Arts and Brawl are separate abilities with dots apportioned separately.

Oh hey, another bit of good news. Looks like they aren't fixated on maintaining the exact ability spread from 2E, then, which is more good news. (Even though I like the huge pile of abilities and the charms to go with them. Fiddly bits are part of why I like Exalted.)

DeathmatchFM
Mar 8, 2013

Mustache Gundam 3.0

Ferrinus posted:

I can answer this.

We're still buying presents and nothing is beyond being returned yet. What was said about there still being a BP/XP divide shouldn't have been said. Playtesting, at this point, has no experience system. So for the purposes of developing a playtest character, who has no experience and cannot gain it, you use BP at character creation.

I'm not saying that there is no BP/XP divide, and I'm not saying there will be. All I'm saying is that the final product isn't finished. You want the game to be the best that it can be, and so do I. The writers are working hard, and playtesters are giving appropriate feedback. A good portion of the dancing birdie is because we don't have a finished product yet.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

DeathmatchFM posted:

I can answer this.
Playtesting, at this point, has no experience system. So for the purposes of developing a playtest character, who has no experience and cannot gain it, you use BP at character creation.

They want to keep an XP system but do not wish to test it. I see.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Strength of Many posted:

It may be something that's just not finished yet, and thus isn't in the playtest rules. :shrug:

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Strength of Many posted:

If you replaced Exalted's Storyteller mechanics with a brand new system derived from Harvest Moon's gameplay I promise you it would be better than anything you will get from Exalted Third Edition, though I can't tell you the specifics save in vague metaphors.

Could you tell us why you are disappointed with the playtest stuff?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Did this happen on purpose, like did you read that the main thing everybody was irritated with was the no-content check out this book I have sorry you can't but it's really good I promise and you thought the solution was to double down on it and make it even more annoying

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

Could you tell us why you are disappointed with the playtest stuff?

Wait, I need a reason to be disappointed with Exalted?

Kenlon posted:

It may be something that's just not finished yet, and thus isn't in the playtest rules. :shrug:

Given how awful the XP system and training times are/was in Exalted, and by extension Storyteller, one would think it is the among the first things they would tackle.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Strength of Many posted:

They don't have an XP system and therefore they cannot test it. When they have made one I will give appropriate feedback if they have also retained the BP system.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Strength of Many posted:

It'd help if you packaged it up for us in an increasingly-painful holiday metaphor.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Strength of Many posted:

No, just asking if you would share specific reasons. I am making the assumption that you have seen the playtest stuff. If that's wrong, then ignore me, I guess.

DeathmatchFM
Mar 8, 2013

Mustache Gundam 3.0

Strength of Many posted:

Well, you can't really say that with certainty. The thing is, when playtesting it's best to figure the pieces out first before figuring out how to put them together. If those pieces come together roughly, then you can fix the edges, but if you try to do it all at once you might realize core components of various parts don't interact in a healthy way.

So if you want to test combat or social influence, how exactly your character gets those traits doesn't matter. You just need to see if they work, so that if someone playing the game progressed to whatever point you had them, it would make sense. Experience and Bonus Points are just numbers on paper. The first thing to playtest is what those numbers do, not how they get there.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
I'm really confused as to why anyone thought this would be helpful. 'Man I sure would like something concrete!' 'Well, I can't give you that, but I CAN ramble about playstations for nine paragraphs!'

Just say 'it's not finished yet' and leave it there. Do not say, 'BUT YOU'LL LOVE IT, HONEST'. Just... shhh. Shh.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mikan posted:

Did this happen on purpose, like did you read that the main thing everybody was irritated with was the no-content check out this book I have sorry you can't but it's really good I promise and you thought the solution was to double down on it and make it even more annoying

Don't look at me.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Exalted 3E is like a box of chocolates, if the guy behind the counter at See's refused to tell you what was in the box when you asked, and then got really mad at you for asking??

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

BryanChavez posted:

It'd help if you packaged it up for us in an increasingly-painful holiday metaphor.

They've gotta be, like, a White Wolf Forums poster who was Stirred To Action. Nobody does turgid overwritten prose like a C student in Thomas Friedman's English Comp in defense of nothing quite like a White Wolf Forums Poster.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

Exalted 3E is like a box of chocolates, if the guy behind the counter at See's refused to tell you what was in the box when you asked, and then got really mad at you for asking??

If you have a peanut allergy you're going to be really surprised by what we've done with these chocolates.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

You'll love Exalted Third Edition if you like: Steak, Corn, Christmas, Presents, Rocketships, Playstation 2, The Moon, Unfulfilled Promises

You might not like Exalted Third Edition if you like: Actually seeing content, cat-piss couches, ratty t-shirts, change, crying, screaming, being ungrateful

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Stephenls posted:

Don't look at me.

I would have been kind of impressed if you were able to summon a post like that on command though.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

BryanChavez posted:

poo poo, I'm not good at these. Let me summarize it as; fans turned writers, forum community echo chambers, the continued use of Storyteller as the core mechanic and an unwillingness (or inability?) to break away from any of that. They're fine with packing in their own scraps into the setting narrative but nothing concrete on the mechanics ends beyond More charms, which was honestly the least impressive part of their tenure as Ink Monkeys, to me.

edit: I would try to give credit to the Momentum mechanic and w/e but I can't when they won't tell us how any of it works. Heh.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I was playing a round of golf with Exalted CEO Holden Shearer, when he mentioned to me, "Deathmatch FM, the RPG playing field is being leveled." As I left the White Wolf building that evening on my way back to the airport, I kept chewing on that phrase, “The RPG playing field is being leveled.” What Holden is saying, I thought, is that the playing field is being flattened… Flattened? Flattened? My God, he’s telling me Exalted is a rocketship to the Moon!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mikan posted:

I would have been kind of impressed if you were able to summon a post like that on command though.

I could probably type something like that up but the closest I'd ever want to would be that last long overdramatic one about Raksi.

DeathMatchFM, no disrespect to your enthusiasm, but right now we've delivered less than the Gearbox demo for Aliens: Colonial Marines. People involved in dev can say whatever they want, but for the sceptical, anything short of disclosure is suspect. We're not disclosing yet, but that doesn't mean I'm disappointed to see scepticism -- it's the sign of a discerning audience!

Since I can't disclose, all I'm here to do is try to prevent sceptics from becoming haters, and engage in what commentary I can, like thoughts on Raksi and the conceptual origins of Ixcoatli.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 5, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I was literally in the ER last night and am posting from my sickbed to tell you to holy poo poo stop Deathmatch.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

For real though StephenLS that thing with Raksi was interesting and it's a shame you guys aren't talking more openly about things like that more often. It's not like direct mechanical content or previews or anything, but it's something that gives us any kind of insight at all to what you guys are doing. Even the stuff I didn't agree with was at least something.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Plus we can try to infer things by asking you leading questions!

Speaking of which, we know a fair amount by now about your preferences as an Exalted designer, writer, and editor. I'm curious, though, about you as an Exalted player. What kinds of characters are you most interested in making, or what kinds of chronicles are you most interested in running, in Third Edition? What jumps out to you as especially fun and engaging given your own preferences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mikan posted:

For real though StephenLS that thing with Raksi was interesting and it's a shame you guys aren't talking more openly about things like that more often. It's not like direct mechanical content or previews or anything, but it's something that gives us any kind of insight at all to what you guys are doing. Even the stuff I didn't agree with was at least something.

Okay Mikan, do you want me to start leaking some of the mechanics stuff I was able to find out? Keeping in mind that from what I understand the playtest changes pretty frequently.

• Locked thread