Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Anyone who hasn't read Rorie's Dark Souls article from back from when the game had just come out, do so. It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

True Demon's Souls Starts Now!

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
gently caress YEAH DARK SOULS. GET ON THE TRAIN PATRICK. BEST GAME EVER MADE YESSSSSSS

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The gifs on that page are amazing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yodzilla posted:

It was better than the Xbox version at least.

It had a new area too didn't it?

Fable 1 was fine for its time. 2 was great, and Fable 3 is really where the series went off the rails.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought the 1st gif was bullshit luck, but then his 2nd gif was even more bullshit. Matrix bullshit.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Fool's Idol is like the most Anti-Brad boss I can imagine.

I can't wait to see him fight an actual boss like Penetrator or Flame Lurker, or a boss that is trivial to non-Brads like all 3 5-X bosses.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tae posted:

I thought the 1st gif was bullshit luck, but then his 2nd gif was even more bullshit. Matrix bullshit.

His run through Sen's Fortress was pretty god drat ridiculous. Like, you couldn't make a better, more exciting, more tense runthrough if you sat down and tried to script every encounter. After he died for the first time the first thing he said while running back was "Well, time to see how many things I got lucky on last time and have forgotten about now." It really demonstrated that he came into the game with the perfect attitude, and I think he nailed that writeup.

Only thing I would've liked to see him focus more on is the fact that Dark Souls has gotten such a crazy reputation that people who jump in now start overcompensating for its difficulty, to the detriment of their experience. Like people who go into the graveyard at the start and spend 2 hours grinding away at the skeletons there because they just think that everything is supposed to be super hard in Dark Souls.

Dark Souls isn't nearly as impenetrable, obtuse, and impossible as people think. 9 encounters out of 10 are just regular fights where nothing particularly exciting happens and you move on. It's when you get complacent that that 10th fight/trap/hidden enemy/whatever really fucks you over and gives you the sense that the game is pure bullshit.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Did they say anything about how long they're gonna be streaming for?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Depths posted:

Did they say anything about how long they're gonna be streaming for?

5 hours, apparently.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

*Agonises over spending his boss souls on spells* "I hadn't really intended to use magic" *has 24 magic stat*

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Noxville posted:

*Agonises over spending his boss souls on spells* "I hadn't really intended to use magic" *has 24 magic stat*

Uh, that's what he says? He didn't intend to use magic but leveled up the magic stat for his sword?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Uh, that's what he says? He didn't intend to use magic but leveled up the magic stat for his sword?

I dunno what else was he going to spend boss souls on, weapons that he can't use because he didn't level anything else?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
"Why do people keep asking me to stop doing this thing that's boring to watch and doesn't actually accomplish anything?"

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If you complain about people smashing things in games you are the worst kind of person.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

List of games Patrick thought were poo poo that he eventually learned were not poo poo:

Turn based strategy games
Spelunky
Eve
Dark Souls

Our little boy is growing up and becoming a hardcore gamer :unsmith:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I hated how many different ores there were in Demon's Souls. I ended up using mostly the dragon long sword, dark heater shield and a regular path battle axe and out of all the lizards I killed, only a couple were ever useful.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The problem with smashing stuff is he is doing it with his sword. It is best practice to roll into things in the souls game so you don't accidentally attack things that might be on the other side.

Also not buying grass when he was complaining about not having enough grass was a truly :psyduck: moment.

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

This is amazing :munch:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IRQ posted:

It had a new area too didn't it?

Fable 1 was fine for its time. 2 was great, and Fable 3 is really where the series went off the rails.

Fable: The Lost Chapters had the new area, and I don't know if Lost Chapters ever came out on PC.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Brad is being Dangerously Cheesey right now. The real Babies Souls starts here.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

TheJoker138 posted:

Fable: The Lost Chapters had the new area, and I don't know if Lost Chapters ever came out on PC.

It did.

http://www.amazon.com/Fable-The-Lost-Chapters-PC/dp/B000A76ZNO

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

TheJoker138 posted:

e;fb

It did. As far as I know, it's the only version that came out on PC. You can get it on Steam for $10.

Anniversary's redesigned characters have a really repulsive look to them-- like there's too much "realistic" detail for their cartoony proportions.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

emoticon posted:

List of games Patrick thought were poo poo that he eventually learned were not poo poo:

Eve

Eve is still poo poo, and I say that as someone who has played it off and on for the past 6 years. It can be fun, but the underlying game itself is bad.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Patrick play bayonetta on hard mode

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
#thisisroyalpriviledge

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
Souls streams are the best because whenever one of the crew ignore a step of a sidequest everyone in chat loses their poo poo.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

He's actually going to sit here and do this oh god.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Brad's really do it, is he? Killing the Red Dragon in 1-2?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Bumfluff posted:

The music and sound effects over this Eve Online segment is the best.

Sounds like Vinnie is auditioning for This American Life.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Symphonie posted:

Souls streams are the best because whenever one of the crew ignore a step of a sidequest everyone in chat loses their poo poo.

I was a little upset when Brad passed Ostrava up earlier, but honestly it doesn't matter that much. I will, however, legit lose my poo poo if Brad spends half an hour plinking away at the red dragon after already getting through the level.

edit: well, that didn't actually take that long.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 5, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I dunno, I think this is pretty hilarious. Anything that gives Brad more false confidence before he gets to the more annoying levels is good in my book.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Randallteal posted:

I was a little upset when Brad passed Ostrava up earlier, but honestly it doesn't matter that much. I will, however, legit lose my poo poo if Brad spends half an hour plinking away at the red dragon after already getting through the level.

To be fair, it seems like he's getting through it kinda quickly.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Chat is getting sooooo mad. This is great.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I got up to make food when he started the dragon. Came back and he was finishing up the dragon. Works for me.

Woo he saved Ostrava! I hope he does the whole Ostrava quest.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 5, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Close call with Freke there. He learned a valuable lesson.

Edit: Oh jesus Vinny. You can convince Brad of anything, can you?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Vinny is so good at bullshitting with Brad

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Vinny's the best.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Vinny "Dusk Slayer" Caravella, bringing you the hottest DS tips and tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Brad's mistake is thinking Vinny has his best interests in mind.

• Locked thread