Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
complex
Sep 16, 2003

Latest snapshots, including Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone images. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-snapshots/2014-January/000066.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

So, I'm trying to set up NFS 4 with a FreeBSD server and a mix of FreeBSD/Ubuntu clients, and windows 2003R2 as the kerberos server (and user/group db, through winbind).

... I don't have any questions or anything, I just want to leave some evidence in case there's an inquiry.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
When updating ports on FreeBSD, I'm getting this now:

code:
/!\ WARNING /!\
pkg_install EOL is scheduled for 2014-09-01. Please consider migrating to pkgng
http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2014/02/03/time-to-bid-farewell-to-the-old-pkg_-tools/
If you do not want to see this message again set NO_WARNING_PKG_INSTALL_EOL=yes in your make.conf
I started with the "pkgng" tool back with FreeBSD 9.0. However, lack of built packages and the package repositories being empty for the longest time during their "audit" a year ago forced me to install & update from source. Basically, pkgng just wasn't usable.

I know I can stick with updating ports from source (I use portsnap and portmaster), but with the release of 10.0 a few days ago, and the "pkg" tool only then becoming the default - are they really killing off pkg_install after just 8 months of pkgng being the default?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Xenomorph posted:

but with the release of 10.0 a few days ago, and the "pkg" tool only then becoming the default - are they really killing off pkg_install after just 8 months of pkgng being the default?

Yes. And I'm ecstatic. We originally were going to wait for 8.3-RELEASE to die (April 30, 2014) but too many devs were upset about that being too short of notice and they finally (after wasting a couple months) decided on the new date.

This is not a rash decision; this is our only hope. FreeBSD has been decades behind in package management and it has been hurting the project more and more every year. Not only that, but the entire ports tree has fallen behind -- even OpenBSD has a better ports infrastructure than we do. Bapt & co have been working hard and making fantastic changes to the ports tree to modernize it and fix so many problems. You wouldn't believe how many ports are so inconsistent or dangerously broken.

A short list of things we've gained (not all are enabled because we're stuck with pkg_tools until September :argh:)
  • Ports can no longer write files to the same location! You wouldn't believe how many ports did this. It was awful, and you never knew if you had two ports installed that were conflicting with each other
  • STAGE support. FreeBSD is/was the only OS in existence with a package management system that did not use a staging directory when building the port. Instead the ports were installed directly to the OS filesystem instead of a staging directory where a package could be made without tainting the OS's filesystem. :barf:
  • Ability to build packages as a non-root user :science:
  • Signed packages (especially in a post-Snowden world!!!) :black101:
  • Atomic package updates :toxx:
  • The ability to automatically detect LIB_DEPENDS instead of trusting the port maintainer (so many ports have incorrect / overzealous LIB_DEPENDS and install completely unnecessary things) :fuckoff:
  • Intelligent detection of dependencies (reinstall packages that are affected by the change. Ex: update perl? Reinstall all perl modules) :angel:
  • Automatic upgrades for major versions of common software Ex: perl5.14 -> perl5.16 should require no human interaction beyond "pkg upgrade". Same goes for other software that is renamed/moved. NO MORE /usr/ports/UPDATING
  • Subpackages! Yes, like Debian and Redhat we should be able to build subpackages (-debug, apache22-MODULENAME, etc) to enable most supplemental functionality and not require a user to revert to using the ports tree if a port is built without an option they need. (this does not yet exist but it's on Bapt's roadmap)

As a ports committer it is my responsibility to make sure that ports work with both the old pkg_tools and the new pkgng. This is a nightmare and sometimes it is impossible without horrible hacks duplicating functionality. Making ports only for pkgng is very straightforward and easy; there are very few hacks required. However, the FreeBSD ports tree is full of horrible hacks because of limitations of pkg_tools and the ports quality suffered. Everyone did things their own way and if it seemed to work it was committed. (My least favorite is when a port overwrites your configuration files! If you find this let me know and I will slap the maintainer and/or commit a fix.)

Please, learn pkgng. It's to your benefit. And show up to a conference and buy the :france: portsmgr team a beer. They deserve it; things are looking really great for FreeBSD right now and I'm glad to be a small part of it.

Also, take time to adopt a favorite port. Any ports not successfully supporting STAGE by mid summer will be wiped from the ports tree. :black101: (but we're working hard to fix every port we can)

feld fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 5, 2014

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Are all pkgng packages now signed, or does that come later?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

feld posted:

Please, learn pkgng. It's to your benefit. And show up to a conference and buy the :france: portsmgr team a beer. They deserve it; things are looking really great for FreeBSD right now and I'm glad to be a small part of it.

Oh, I'll use it. I've been use to using apt-get and yum on all our other systems. It was only FreeBSD that I hit a wall and had to mess with source and patches and stuff. Page 21/22 of this thread is me asking update questions, since "pkg" just didn't seem to work too well before.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

complex posted:

Latest snapshots, including Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone images. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-snapshots/2014-January/000066.html
loving gently caress, this is annoying

edit: 2/7 boots have had / successfully mounted :geno:
edit 2: the performance seems to be pretty bad, only time will tell though

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 6, 2014

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe

feld posted:

Yes. And I'm ecstatic. We originally were going to wait for 8.3-RELEASE to die (April 30, 2014) but too many devs were upset about that being too short of notice and they finally (after wasting a couple months) decided on the new date.

Do you have any idea when sparc64 packages will start showing up?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Ninja Rope posted:

Are all pkgng packages now signed, or does that come later?

FreeBSD 10's packages are all signed out of the box. I am not sure where 8.x or 9.x stands. I believe if you download the key and enable it in the configuration it will work. I'm sure that 9.3 will work out of the box upon its release, but 8.x is probably not going to see another release.

/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
code:
# $FreeBSD: head/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf 258227 2013-11-16 15:54:46Z bapt $
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+[url]http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/[/url]${ABI}/latest",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  signature_type: "fingerprints",
  fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
  enabled: yes
}

feld fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 6, 2014

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

feld posted:

FreeBSD 10's packages are all signed out of the box. I am not sure where 8.x or 9.x stands. I believe if you download the key and enable it in the configuration it will work.

I have a server with a mature installation of 9.1 that I chose to not upgrade to 10 at this time. I can confirm that I at least had to download a cert, but then it worked fine. I followed this guide: http://www.mavetju.org/mail/view_message.php?list=freebsd-pkg&id=3899425 . You have to have subversion installed for that to work but the cert is easy enough to install. You might want to keep your old pkg.conf file around until you verify the new install works.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
OK, so one thing I'm still a little unclear on... on 10, where exactly does the ports tree fit in with the new world order? Once built, are ports "as good as" binary packages or are there still operative differences when it comes to interactions with pkg?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Leb posted:

OK, so one thing I'm still a little unclear on... on 10, where exactly does the ports tree fit in with the new world order? Once built, are ports "as good as" binary packages or are there still operative differences when it comes to interactions with pkg?

They should still be treated as equal.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Computer viking posted:

They should still be treated as equal.

Well, here's a rookie question. I assumed that ports would be the preferred option for installing. Long installation time notwithstanding, I just kind of assumed that the BSD community would see compiling from source on the machine to be a superior option to downloading pre-compiled binaries.

Would people be recommending using pkg_add rather then ports under most circumstances?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Last time I used the package manager to install apache it turned out that php5 wasn't a pre-compiled module available. I was very disappointed to have to compile it anyway.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sir_Substance posted:

Well, here's a rookie question. I assumed that ports would be the preferred option for installing. Long installation time notwithstanding, I just kind of assumed that the BSD community would see compiling from source on the machine to be a superior option to downloading pre-compiled binaries.

Would people be recommending using pkg_add rather then ports under most circumstances?

I think the idea is to use binary packages when you can get them signed, and you're on a stable version (so not -current), and you don't need to change the options. There will probably be more subpackages and versions and such available after they drop support for the old pkg_ tools and start adding things it couldn't handle.

You might also want to compile the most CPU intensive things yourself just to get them optimized for your CPU arch, though I think the difference is smaller on amd64 than on i386 (since the lowest common denominator for amd64 is still reasonably modern).

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Sir_Substance posted:

Try providing support to a community where everyone fills the PR database full of bug reports related to their own broken build environments or compiler optimizations they forgot they left on. It's a nightmare.

Before FreeBSD 10 the usage was something like 95% use ports, 5% use packages

After FreeBSD 10 the goal is for 95% to use packages, with 5% using ports only because a package cannot exist to fill their needs. This isn't possible yet, but it's better.

Riso posted:

Last time I used the package manager to install apache it turned out that php5 wasn't a pre-compiled module available. I was very disappointed to have to compile it anyway.

yes, sub packages will fix this.

Leb posted:

The packages are built from ports. And now, when you build ports locally it truly builds and then installs the resulting package. Previously the port had to be installed before you could make a package out of it which was a horrible design.

feld fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 10, 2014

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I haven't done this in a while, but last time I tried it was a bit confusing so I figure I'll ask again now that 10/pkgng are out: what's the best way to install Apache HTTPD + mod_ssl + mod_perl?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know if the latest iteration of FreeBSD has support for the following SAS controller card?

AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

It's an 8 port SAS controller, non RAID. I've been wanting to play around with ZFS for one of my file servers. Previous versions have sort of, kind of detected the card but not any drives connected to it. Hoping on the off chance that someone has had some experience with this particular controller.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

code:
$ apropos marvell
malo(4)                  - Marvell Libertas IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network driver
msk(4)                   - Marvell/SysKonnect Yukon II Gigabit Ethernet adapter driver
mvs(4)                   - Marvell Serial ATA Host Controller driver
mwl(4)                   - Marvell 88W8363 IEEE 802.11n wireless network driver
mwlfw(4)                 - Firmware Module for Marvell 88W8363 Wireless driver
(END)
No Marvell SAS drivers in 10-RELEASE, apparently.

The most popular 8-port SAS HBA for FreeBSD/ZFS use is the LSI SAS2008 with "IT" firmware. There are many flashable OEM versions out there that can be had for under $100 on eBay. I got an IBM M1115 for $70 shipped a couple weeks ago.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

code:
$ apropos marvell
malo(4)                  - Marvell Libertas IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network driver
msk(4)                   - Marvell/SysKonnect Yukon II Gigabit Ethernet adapter driver
(END)

The most popular 8-port SAS HBA for FreeBSD/ZFS use is the LSI SAS2008 with "IT" firmware. There are many flashable OEM versions out there that can be had for under $100 on eBay. I got an IBM M1115 for $70 shipped a couple weeks ago.

Yeah I'm not interested in getting another controller for this file server. It works great in Linux for now. I just wanted something new to play with :) Strangely enough I was just reading that article. I'll see if my curiosity wins over (it probably will).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

feld posted:

After FreeBSD 10 the goal is for 95% to use packages, with 5% using ports only because a package cannot exist to fill their needs. This isn't possible yet, but it's better.

I've tried going all pre-built before, but I could not.

I'd hit this wall: packaged Samba wasn't built with ADS (Active Directory Support). I have to use the port, set the ADS flag, then compile it.

I figured it was a little weird to have a "Windows compatbile" file system, then leave out Windows compatible authentication with the default build.

In fact, everything about Samba never made sense to me. Out of the box with the default options is the most Windows incompatible thing I've ever used.

From Samba "3.0.25b-apple" on our OS X servers up to our current 3.6.22 on our FreeBSD server, our smb.conf file always has to be a mile long. Each option is set after hours of trial and error, because it seems like every one of the default Samba options has to be changed to work with anything.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Samba probably doesn't come with ADS built on BSD for the same reason Red Hat does.
Sambas ADS simply doesn't work with any ldap but the one it comes with.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Riso posted:

Samba probably doesn't come with ADS built on BSD for the same reason Red Hat does.
Sambas ADS simply doesn't work with any ldap but the one it comes with.

Samba as an LDAP/ADS server or as a client? The former is really picky, but the latter seems to tolerate AD and whatever.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
As a client, doesn't it just pretend to be a NT4?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Riso posted:

As a client, doesn't it just pretend to be a NT4?

It's the opposite, really. As a server, it pretends to be an NT4-style domain (except for Samba4, which peers with 2012R2). winbind will happily talk Kerberos.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

code:
$ apropos marvell
(END)

I kinda hate you right now, found a good deal on that Intel SAS card. :xd:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

evol262 posted:

It's the opposite, really. As a server, it pretends to be an NT4-style domain (except for Samba4, which peers with 2012R2). winbind will happily talk Kerberos.

Just to confirm, I use our 2003R2 - based AD domain for authenticating users on samba 3.6 . Not too bad to set up, and even winbind+pam for system users was perfectly doable.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm converting all of my debian servers to freebsd for jollies and have spent last night and this morning reading various introductions to bsd. Something I'm a little confused about is ports vs binary packages. It seems like everything is up in the air right now, and there is a lot of old information on the net. How should I be training myself to install software on these systems? apt-cache search and apt-get install were so easy.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 11, 2014

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Comatoast posted:

I'm converting all of my linux servers to freebsd for jollies and have spent last night and this morning reading various introductions to bsd. Something I'm a little confused about is ports vs binary packages. It seems like everything is up in the air right now, and there is a lot of old information on the net. How should I be training myself to install software on these systems? apt-cache search and apt-get install were so easy.

Packages are the way forward. Here's how to search:
code:
pkg search foo
Installing packages is similarly simple:
code:
pkg install foo

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
^^ One question answered directly above :shobon:

Quick question before I start taking things apart and going head first into a BSD install. I currently use FreeNX as my remote desktop software. Some googling has shown that it's not really available for FreeBSD. What's a good alternative that's fast, secure, and supports session resume?

What's package management like in FreeBSD? Anything like apt or what have you? Pkg I guess?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Stanley Pain posted:

^^ One question answered directly above :shobon:

Quick question before I start taking things apart and going head first into a BSD install. I currently use FreeNX as my remote desktop software. Some googling has shown that it's not really available for FreeBSD. What's a good alternative that's fast, secure, and supports session resume?

What's package management like in FreeBSD? Anything like apt or what have you? Pkg I guess?

freenx is in FreeBSD ports

http://www.freshports.org/net/freenx/

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I assume he is talking about this

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there a recommended "clean" way to move from "pkg_add" to "pkg" on FreeBSD 9.x?

Like, installing and using pkg doesn't do anything about all the many pkg_* tools. Is it safe to delete or disable (chmod -x) those?

Also, when using pkg for package management, the pkg_info tool still lists the stuff it installed and managed.
For example:
If I used "pkg_add -rv" to install app-1 and app-2, and then converted my database (pkg2ng) and used "pkg install" to install app-3 and app-4, "pkg_info" will show the two apps it installed, while "pkg info" shows all four packages.

I saw on one forum post that I should "start fresh" after switching from pkg_add to pkg:

code:
rm -R /usr/local
rm -R /var/db/pkg
...and then re-install everything with pkg.

Edit: this page (https://mebsd.com/make-build-your-freebsd-word/pkgng-first-look-at-freebsds-new-package-manager.html) says that the "pkg2ng" script was supposed to rename /var/db/pkg to pkg.bak, so that "pkg_info" showed nothing installed. It never did that for me.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 11, 2014

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

Is there a recommended "clean" way to move from "pkg_add" to "pkg" on FreeBSD 9.x?

Like, installing and using pkg doesn't do anything about all the many pkg_* tools. Is it safe to delete or disable (chmod -x) those?

Also, when using pkg for package management, the pkg_info tool still lists the stuff it installed and managed.
For example:
If I used "pkg_add -rv" to install app-1 and app-2, and then converted my database (pkg2ng) and used "pkg install" to install app-3 and app-4, "pkg_info" will show the two apps it installed, while "pkg info" shows all four packages.

I saw on one forum post that I should "start fresh" after switching from pkg_add to pkg:

code:
rm -R /usr/local
rm -R /var/db/pkg
...and then re-install everything with pkg.

pkg and pkg_* operate on two separate databases. Don't delete everything in /var/db/pkg/ because that includes the new pkg database. I'm not sure that I would delete/disable the pkg_* tools, because that might screw up future 9.x updates. If you can't avoid using pkg_* due to muscle memory or whatever then I'd add a quick script in ~/.bin or wherever that just prints "use pkg instead".

Xenomorph posted:

Edit: this page (https://mebsd.com/make-build-your-freebsd-word/pkgng-first-look-at-freebsds-new-package-manager.html) says that the "pkg2ng" script was supposed to rename /var/db/pkg to pkg.bak, so that "pkg_info" showed nothing installed. It never did that for me.

That probably doesn't apply anymore.

Also, pkg2ng is an alias to pkg convert.

hifi fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 11, 2014

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

hifi posted:

pkg and pkg_* operate on two separate databases.

But that's the issue. "pkg_info" and "pkg info" now show two different lists of what is installed. "pkg_info" is frozen at what was installed at that time. "pkg info" shows updated packages, new packages installed since moving to pkg, etc. There shouldn't be two databases, as one should never be used again.

It seems awfully unpolished to leave behind half-working or non-working tools and package databases like that.

pkg2ng should have migrated the old database to the new format, then renamed or deleted the old database, then disabled the pkg_* tools.

That way a user would have ONE took (pkg) with ONE database. Instead a user is left with one database they should ignore, one database that is accurate, a set of tools they should remember not to use, and then another tool that is OK to use.

Edit, apparently at one point pkg2ng would delete everything in /var/db/pkg:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=171833

And when this person used it, pkg2ng would instead rename it to /var/db/pkg.bak:
https://mebsd.com/make-build-your-freebsd-word/pkgng-first-look-at-freebsds-new-package-manager.html

So it looks like it's done multiple things. I guess they had issues in the past clearing out the old database, so the current version just "does nothing".

"pkg" seems to use just two files in /var/db/pkg:
local.sqlite
*repo*.sqlite

Couldn't it just remove all the other files?

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 11, 2014

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

But that's the issue. "pkg_info" and "pkg info" now show two different lists of what is installed. "pkg_info" is frozen at what was installed at that time. "pkg info" shows updated packages, new packages installed since moving to pkg, etc. There shouldn't be two databases, as one should never be used again.

It seems awfully unpolished to leave behind half-working or non-working tools and package databases like that.

pkg2ng should have migrated the old database to the new format, then renamed or deleted the old database, then disabled the pkg_* tools.

That way a user would have ONE took (pkg) with ONE database. Instead a user is left with one database they should ignore, one database that is accurate, a set of tools they should remember not to use, and then another tool that is OK to use.

Edit, apparently at one point pkg2ng would delete everything in /var/db/pkg:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=171833

And when this person used it, pkg2ng would instead rename it to /var/db/pkg.bak:
https://mebsd.com/make-build-your-freebsd-word/pkgng-first-look-at-freebsds-new-package-manager.html

So it looks like it's done multiple things. I guess they had issues in the past clearing out the old database, so the current version just "does nothing".

"pkg" seems to use just two files in /var/db/pkg:
local.sqlite
*repo*.sqlite

Couldn't it just remove all the other files?

Deleting files is tricky: pkg_* are os files still supported by 9.x, so they can't be removed, and when pkg was in beta people didn't really want pkg2ng wiping out their old pkg_* database.

As for moving the old database, it looks like it just didn't get implemented when pkg2ng got translated to c. I'd submit an issue on their github page.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

hifi posted:

As for moving the old database, it looks like it just didn't get implemented when pkg2ng got translated to c. I'd submit an issue on their github page.

From the looks of the contents of /var/db/pkg, is it safe to deleted everything not named *.sqlite from there? (local.sqlite and repo-*.sqlite)

edit, it looks like all the pkg_* stuff is in sub-directories. It seems I can just clear them out easily, while leaving the pkg database alone:

code:
# cd /var/db
# cp -pr pkg pkg.bak
# cd pkg
# find . -type d -exec rm -r {} \;

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 12, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
Ok, so heres a question for all you gurus out there.

i am attempting to set up freebsd as a desktop environment on a laptop with an intel gma3150 graphics adaptor. i have managed to do this before with freebsd 9, but never got the wireless working (sepera issue). the wireless is now working in freebsd 10, but i cannot get the graphics card working. I got it working last time by removing the standard xf86-video-intel driver, and installing xf86-video-intel29.

However, it seems that between the freebsd 9 and 10 releases, someone said "oh, this port is out of date, the normal driver does everything it does, ill remove it from the ports collection".

they're wrong of course, the new driver doesnt drive my card. so how can i get the ports collection to grab the old driver? I could do it 3 months ago, so its still hosted somewhere (it was deleted early last year) but i dont know how to backdate/sidegraded my ports tree to get this particular build.

also please excuse the horrific typing, im posting from an ipad :ughh:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I just moved our server from pkg_* tools to pkg.

I know I can update installed binaries with "pkg upgrade" - but how does it handle ports that I have installed with custom-compile options?

For example, I cannot install the pre-built Samba, I have to compile it with the "ADS" option for authentication.

If an update comes out to Samba, wouldn't "pkg upgrade" just overwrite my copy with a generic pre-compiled version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Xenomorph posted:

I just moved our server from pkg_* tools to pkg.

I know I can update installed binaries with "pkg upgrade" - but how does it handle ports that I have installed with custom-compile options?

For example, I cannot install the pre-built Samba, I have to compile it with the "ADS" option for authentication.

If an update comes out to Samba, wouldn't "pkg upgrade" just overwrite my copy with a generic pre-compiled version?

Yes, it will just use a generic pre-compiled version. If you're installing from ports you should upgrade through ports as well, not through pkg. Portmaster makes this easy.

• Locked thread