Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

There is such a thing as military surplus, offloaded military gear, and so forth, but no such thing as "ex-military gear." Equipment does not retire from the armed forces. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Man, Obama's really dumb. I mean, look at this stupid thing I imagined him doing! So dumb.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Lycus posted:

So DbD fans believe that Obama has militarized the USPS? This is a real thing in their world?

These questions are funny

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

MisterBadIdea posted:

But of course in Muirworld, this means that the government is so wastefully militarized that citizens are under threat of suppression by loving census takers.

People get so drat scared of census workers. If you ever have the chance to talk to a census worker in the flesh, please be kind to them. I used to work with someone who worked for the census and the last time I talked to him about it he had to go to court for doing his job. He was arrested by a cop who got calls from someone in the boonies that he forged his government identification and was stalking people in the area. The cop believed him wholesale, demised everything that he brought up, and arrested him for trespassing, providing falsified information to a cop, among other charges that I can't remember. :smith:

He was also the nicest guy I ever worked with and always baked pastries for us when we had to work on holidays :unsmith:

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

First names to distrust the most:
Wayne, Wayne, Rick, Milton, Kevan, Chris

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Spiffster posted:

People get so drat scared of census workers. If you ever have the chance to talk to a census worker in the flesh, please be kind to them. I used to work with someone who worked for the census and the last time I talked to him about it he had to go to court for doing his job. He was arrested by a cop who got calls from someone in the boonies that he forged his government identification and was stalking people in the area. The cop believed him wholesale, demised everything that he brought up, and arrested him for trespassing, providing falsified information to a cop, among other charges that I can't remember. :smith:

He was also the nicest guy I ever worked with and always baked pastries for us when we had to work on holidays :unsmith:

I can say from experience that there are weird people both in the deep, deep countryside and in the middle of metropolises who are deeply afraid of:

1) Census takers
2) The delivery person from the place they just ordered food from.

Both whacked out paranoid cases respond with: "Y-yeah ... wh-whaddya want?"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Had a friend that used to work for the Iowa DOT setting up traffic counters in remote places (little tubes that count how many cars drive over them) and he said they were routinely sabotaged. Wouldn't be surprised if it was just aimless vandalism, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I can say from experience that there are weird people both in the deep, deep countryside and in the middle of metropolises who are deeply afraid of:

1) Census takers
2) The delivery person from the place they just ordered food from.

Both whacked out paranoid cases respond with: "Y-yeah ... wh-whaddya want?"

How would you know this? It sounds like these people were probably aware you were stalking them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

As dumb as this is, I'm glad it's at least intelligible. Usually I have to re-read a DbD strip about five times before I can make it through Muir's gibberish and figure out what the characters are actually saying.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

:stare: I worked on the 2010 census for a couple months before I got another job, but I never had ANYTHING that bad. Granted, most of my area was suburbs, but I still got harassed by by a guy who kept asking me about how much money I made and a woman cussed me out because I left our little "Census wuz here" note in her door.

Mostly people were really pleasant though, even a few who were pretty belligerent until they realized who I was and this wasn't a sales thing. It's funny when people think you're some kind of sinister government agent, since safety training consisted almost entirely of "if you ever feel threatened or in danger, get the gently caress outta there."

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

BENGHAZI ATTACK CAUSED VIDEO. CAUSED FOX NEWS COVERAGE.

Ramirez's weird rear end lettering is trying to send us some kind of hidden message.

quote:

I know this is just an 'a thing happened', but it made me giggle.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Ugh, those arms. Bok is such a bad loving artist.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My brother is a Postal Inspector, he is also armed.
He is also conservative as gently caress, so he is an Obama thug? :shrug:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

muike posted:

Thank Catholic God

Catholic God loves booze, he made drinking wine the main part of Church.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Air is lava! posted:

Can you explain to me how that could be racist? I know it's Mississippi so it might well be. Anyway, your beer laws are really weird. You can get your drivers license with 16 but can't buy a drink until five years later? That's just stupid.

Alcohol and guns are kind of reversed in Canada. The feds can come to your house and take your guns away (in an evacuation), but the police can't raid a private party to check for underage drinkers.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Randler posted:

I'm not sure I agree with Bors' very black and white attitude here. While the factory might be on territory illegaly occupied by Israel, the SodaStream factory is privately owned and from what I've heard they are treating their Palestinian workers very well. :shrug:
It's good to see a moderate and reasoned voice how the whole matter of colonialism might be mite unpleasant but at least they aren't also mistreating their workers, just building on land stolen from them and legitimizing the theft.

Also, Oxfam, for whom Scarlet is "good-will ambassador" is somewhat known for both opposing private wrongdoing, such as profiting from crimes against mankind and opposing apartheid. Therefore them being indirectly associated with said activity through Scarlet meant she had to pick either one. Funnily enough she went with SodaStream, who pay her large sums of money, rather than Oxfam. Sad to see folks abandon their humanitarian status.

Missed chance for a toilet joke there.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Gee, I wonder why the mailman would be wearing body armor and stuff in an area where some trailer trash psychos have been constantly harassing every federal employee who comes near them? It was probably the mailman who got the short straw who had to do that route, and he got the armor himself because all the crazy stories about the place had him sure that he'd need it.

I genuinely can't tell if Ramirez thinks this is some kind of clever satire or if he's so dumb he actually believes that Obama said something like this. It's not if he's wrong, but how.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's good to see a moderate and reasoned voice how the whole matter of colonialism might be mite unpleasant but at least they aren't also mistreating their workers, just building on land stolen from them and legitimizing the theft.

Also, Oxfam, for whom Scarlet is "good-will ambassador" is somewhat known for both opposing private wrongdoing, such as profiting from crimes against mankind and opposing apartheid. Therefore them being indirectly associated with said activity through Scarlet meant she had to pick either one. Funnily enough she went with SodaStream, who pay her large sums of money, rather than Oxfam. Sad to see folks abandon their humanitarian status.

I do not believe that a private company can legitimize territorial claims in any meaningful, i.e. actually affecting international law and politics, way.

The state of Israel and Sodastream are totally different entities. Israel's settlement policy in the occupied West Bank results in significant economic hardships for the Palestinian people. An Israeli company actually giving some Palestinians an opportunity to support their family is beneficial. The actions of one private soda company will not affect whether Israel can establish legitimacy to their territorial claims but it does affect the people living in the area there. Considering that there is no short-term expectation of the settlements disappearing I think that a company that actually has Palestinian workers and treats them well is desirable, due to realistic alternatives being worse.

As for Oxfam, they do not appear to have problems taking money from Sodastream's competitor Coke, who also has premises in territory not recognized by international law.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Catholic God loves booze, he made drinking wine the main part of Church.

And there's the Italians and Irish.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What, me worry?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

My brother is a Postal Inspector, he is also armed.
He is also conservative as gently caress, so he is an Obama thug? :shrug:

Often times these agencies are dealing with some form of criminality or another, in the case of a Postal Inspector it's mail fraud and the like, so the fact that they might require personal protect when dealing with, you know, potentially hostile individuals shouldn't be surprising at all.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Randler posted:

I do not believe that a private company can legitimize territorial claims in any meaningful, i.e. actually affecting international law and politics, way.
Your faith isn't required on the subject, but I'd think that a private company flouting the UN by building there would at the very least display just how bald the contempt for the Palestinians is in Israel, with the same applying to SodaStream.

Randler posted:

The state of Israel and Sodastream are totally different entities. Israel's settlement policy in the occupied West Bank results in significant economic hardships for the Palestinian people.
This is correct.

Randler posted:

An Israeli company actually giving some Palestinians an opportunity to support their family is beneficial.
This is flat out wrong. The reason that they are able to use Palestinian labour is that the chances for other employment are limited due to Israeli destruction of Palestinian society. That they, in taking advantage of the Palestinian situation, do not press that advantage even further towards immorality is nothing to admire. Furthermore, it increases the reliance of the Palestinians on Israeli companies.

Randler posted:

The actions of one private soda company will not affect whether Israel can establish legitimacy to their territorial claims but it does affect the people living in the area there.
The former point is incorrect. The effect may be small but you cannot deny that building on stolen land by default means acknowledging the legitimacy of the Israeli state in administering it, which strengthens that legitimacy.

Randler posted:

Considering that there is no short-term expectation of the settlements disappearing I think that a company that actually has Palestinian workers and treats them well is desirable, due to realistic alternatives being worse.
Their economic exploitation of the Palestinians, based on their ability to take advantage both of the stolen land and the lower cost of operating due to economic hardship is not in the least admirable. You do not thank the people killing your nation for doing so softly, nor do you thank those benefiting from you suffering for not cracking the whip as hard as they might.

Randler posted:

As for Oxfam, they do not appear to have problems taking money from Sodastream's competitor Coke, who also has premises in territory not recognized by international law.
And they were in fact slow to operate on this matter as well. Shamefully so. So Oxfam makes mistakes and then seeks to correct them; I'm sure if people made enough of an issue about Coke they might reconsider. That isn't relevant to this issue at all however.

Didn't see this Latuff posted. Was gonna say it reminded me of Breaking Bad and then I saw that bike, jeez.

VVV

Money, most likely. She did the usual: "I'm for peace between both Israel and Palestine" tripe, which isn't the usual path for the serious anti-Palestinians. The right is still claiming this as a victory though.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 6, 2014

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
So is Scarlett Johansson becoming a Zionist and possibly a right-winger, or does she just like money? This is important because if it's the former, my uncle and my grandpa, who get 50% of their Fox News viewing pleasure from the short skirts they make the female hosts wear, will never ever EVER shut the gently caress up about it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

So is Scarlett Johansson becoming a Zionist and possibly a right-winger, or does she just like money? This is important because if it's the former, my uncle and my grandpa, who get 50% of their Fox News viewing pleasure from the short skirts they make the female hosts wear, will never ever EVER shut the gently caress up about it.

Money, most likely.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I really needed to know about your weird uncle and grandpa, dude. Thanks for telling me all that.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Livingtrope posted:

I really needed to know about your weird uncle and grandpa, dude. Thanks for telling me all that.

Sorry about that, it was kind of a crass way to try and derail an I/P derail.

Have a relevant McCoy which I couldn't find a better copy of:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Plutonis posted:

What, me worry?

just a reminder that the AR-15 Renee Elmers left leaning against a counter in her open garage has still not been recovered from whoever stole it.

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

SodaStream employs 900 Palestinians at the plant in question and pays them a pretty substantial wage for the area, so it's not quite as awful for her to defend them as some people treat it.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 6, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Didn't see this Latuff posted. Was gonna say it reminded me of Breaking Bad and then I saw that bike, jeez.

That was a real thing that happened btw. A lynch mob beat out the poo poo out of a kid and chained him to a pole in Rio.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Plutonis posted:

That was a real thing that happened btw. A lynch mob beat out the poo poo out of a kid and chained him to a pole in Rio.
:stare:
What the hell prompted that?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Criminality led shitheads to justify making vigilante groups that brutalize drug users, homeless people and even gay people.

E: In Portuguese but there is a pic of the kid... http://noticias.r7.com/rio-de-janeiro/apos-linchamento-de-suspeito-jovens-confirmam-em-depoimento-patrulha-para-proteger-aterro-04022014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think he mugged someone.

e: ^^^^^ Oh the group that did that SUSPECTED he was thief! They didn't had proof but they beat him up anyway.

frajaq fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 6, 2014

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

he has the most boring story arcs.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Criminality led shitheads to justify making vigilante groups that brutalize drug users, homeless people and even gay people.

E: In Portuguese but there is a pic of the kid... http://noticias.r7.com/rio-de-janeiro/apos-linchamento-de-suspeito-jovens-confirmam-em-depoimento-patrulha-para-proteger-aterro-04022014

frajaq posted:

e: ^^^^^ Oh the group that did that SUSPECTED he was thief! They didn't had proof but they beat him up anyway.
And of course the vigilantes seem to be a bunch of young white middle class folks. Is this sort of thing common in Rio?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And of course the vigilantes seem to be a bunch of young white middle class folks. Is this sort of thing common in Rio?

There were always cases where young high/middle class shitheads wander around and beat/kill people for the hell of it. 20 years ago there was even an infamous case where they set an indian native on fire.

https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/13546

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

This from the people who want to arm the teachers.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

frajaq posted:

That's... generally one of the problems with lynch mobs, yes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Having lived in Pennsylvania, I too concur its a buzzkill to live there. The alcohol laws/regulations are pretty archaic. The comic's dig at how the state handles the sale of controlled substance, specifically alcohol, is pretty spot on for what you have to go through.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
New Rogers

Look at that Putin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Now in color:

• Locked thread