Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OLIVER FOR GOD'S SAKE LEARN SOME SELF CONTROL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Regy Rusty posted:

I've never read a comic and this was the first time I even learned Ras had a second daughter.

But anyway it was Nyssa saying she was gonna kill the rest of Sara's family once she'd taken poison to try and kill herself.
Yep, that sounds like her. She has a nasty temper and a real lust for revenge typically.

Attagirl, Nyssa.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
So I guess Summer Glau wasn't Talia after all? :(

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Whoa what an ending.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Holy gently caress, that preview.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
I still have a hard time believing that I'm watching a show on the CW and it's legitimately good.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Paradise Lost posted:

I still have a hard time believing that I'm watching a show on the CW and it's legitimately good.

The CW has had some great programming for a while now.

Anyways, drat, Laurel really didn't handle Sara's return very well at all but I can't even hate for it either since all of her points are extremely valid.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

jscolon2.0 posted:

"You stole my whole life from me." - The most meta line of dialogue

I'm dumb and don't get this joke(?). Can someone explain?

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Honestly, Laurel is not wrong.

Her sister screwed her boyfriend, then let everyone think she was dead for 6 years which destroyed their family. Now she is alive and back and people knew and were keeping it a secret from her. Substance issues aren't helping but she has plenty of right to be royally pissed.

Karl Sharks posted:

I'm dumb and don't get this joke(?). Can someone explain?

In the comics Dinah Laurel Lance is Black Canary. In the show Dinah is Laurel's middle name. Everyone thought she'd be the show's Black Canary.

VBane fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 6, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VBane posted:

In the comics Dinah Laurel Lance is Black Canary. Dinah is Laurel's middle name. Everyone thought she'd be the show's Black Canary.

Laurel is Laurel's middle name. Dinah is her first name.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deakul posted:

The CW has had some great programming for a while now.

What else good is there? My perception of the CW has been that it was all garbage across the board. It took some serious convincing to get me to watch this show, and I don't think I've heard anyone really raving about any of their other shows.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Laurel is Laurel's middle name. Dinah is her first name.

Really, thought they switched the middle and first names for the show?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VBane posted:

Really, thought they switched the middle and first names for the show?

No, she just goes by Laurel because Dinah is also her mother.

The show hasn't addressed it, but they've shown her ID or some official document before.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

VBane posted:

Honestly, Laurel is not wrong.

Her sister screwed her boyfriend, then let everyone think she was dead for 6 years which destroyed their family. Now she is alive and back and people knew and were keeping it a secret from her. Substance issues aren't helping but she has plenty of right to be royally pissed.

Except all other signs indicated she missed Sarah, and she only decides to get vicious after diving into the liquor supply in front of her parents, who think she should be in rehab, no less. Laurel's behavior is pretty damned indefensible in that scene.

But not that I'm complaining, because Drunk Laurel being a human trainwreck is surprisngly fun to watch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hcreight posted:

Except all other signs indicated she missed Sarah, and she only decides to get vicious after diving into the liquor supply in front of her parents, who think she should be in rehab, no less. Laurel's behavior is pretty damned indefensible in that scene.

But not that I'm complaining, because Drunk Laurel being a human trainwreck is surprisngly fun to watch.

...Yeah, she missed her because she thought she was dead. Then when she found out nope, she just lied for 6 years things change.

That's a normal reaction.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

VBane posted:

In the comics Dinah Laurel Lance is Black Canary. In the show Dinah is Laurel's middle name. Everyone thought she'd be the show's Black Canary.

Ahhh, that makes all the Black Canary talk more sensible. I figured it was some comic book thing I didn't know about that made everyone keep posting how they don't want Laurel to end up as the Black Canary.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Hey, I watched the show for the first time tonight. How representative of the show was tonight's episode? Because CW production values aside, I liked it and might watch more.

I mean, hell, I made Smallville my guilty pleasure show, I can stand awkward political speeches and gratuitous as hell lesbians if I get to see some more League of Assassins poo poo.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 6, 2014

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Regy Rusty posted:

What else good is there? My perception of the CW has been that it was all garbage across the board. It took some serious convincing to get me to watch this show, and I don't think I've heard anyone really raving about any of their other shows.

The early seasons of Vampire Diaries make Arrow's pacing look like SHIELD, and the spinoff - The Originals is pretty good as well. They have definitely evolved beyond being "the Gossip Girl channel" for a while now, and shows like Arrow seem to finally be getting that message out there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Regy Rusty posted:

Supernatural is pretty good.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Regy Rusty posted:

Their whole current line up is pretty good, really.
There's melodrama in pretty much all of the shows but if you managed to put up with Arrow, everything else isn't any worse.(except maybe The Vampire Diaries, which is still a loving GREAT show for the first few seasons... it lost its steam in the latest season but it got better again towards the end.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hcreight posted:

You saw that she hated her before the voyage.

It's kinda pointless to hate a dead person.

It's incredibly easy to hate a person you thought was dead who lied and didn't tell anyone all of those years who you hated before hand, and who caused a poo poo ton of stress all around. Along with causing a loving group of assasins to come after your family.

Laurel is completely justified.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This was a good episode. I didn't expect Sarah to live. Why is there a few week gap between new episodes?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I know the producers said that Laurel will be Black Canary, but I hope they change their minds. I mean wasn't it last week where one of them said Roy wouldn't go to the Arrow Cave for at least half a season, then he goes there the same episode. Basically they should change their minds and let Sarah be Black Canary. Laurel can keep being a lawyer or whatever.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I know the producers said that Laurel will be Black Canary, but I hope they change their minds. I mean wasn't it last week where one of them said Roy wouldn't go to the Arrow Cave for at least half a season, then he goes there the same episode. Basically they should change their minds and let Sarah be Black Canary. Laurel can keep being a lawyer or whatever.

Disbarred. In this economy, she has no career options besides Vigilante. Thanks, Obama.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Huntress comes back, Huntress dies, Laurel becomes the new Huntress. Then Felicity gets shot in the spine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spacebump posted:

This was a good episode. I didn't expect Sarah to live. Why is there a few week gap between new episodes?

Olympics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Laurel is definitely absolutely right to be pissed at Sarah.

And I gotta say, even though I dig her in the role because of her physicality, but Caity Lotz is a pretty lousy actress when it comes to anything that's even remotely serious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Laurel is definitely absolutely right to be pissed at Sarah.

And I gotta say, even though I dig her in the role because of her physicality, but Caity Lotz is a pretty lousy actress when it comes to anything that's even remotely serious.

Yea that crying / yelling after the van scene was awful. Like really awful.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I did love that Arrow aired some same-sex stuff the day before the Sochi Olympics. Strikes me as deliberate.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Oh good lord, the Oliver/Felicity shippers are going completely bugshit all over Stephen Amell's Facebook page.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Holy poo poo, what a fantastic episode. They really put their strongest foot forward for this week off.

kazmeyer posted:

Oh good lord, the Oliver/Felicity shippers are going completely bugshit all over Stephen Amell's Facebook page.

Hahahahah, of course they are.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

kazmeyer posted:

That's the kind of poo poo that's likely to make him stop being so cool and doing all this fan interaction stuff.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Jesus, I know it's melodrama but this is some good fuckin' melodrama.

There were some intense conflicting emotions swirling around those last words, "I'm home." Sarah went through hell over the past six years, and now that Nyssa has released her from the oath, she can finally start putting that hell behind her.

But on the other hand, Laurel hates her -- and it's easy to see why she'd be pissed, for reasons not related to her drug abuse. Sure, her mom and dad are glad to have Sarah back despite all the stress she's caused, but you can tell that she's not entirely comfortable around them as long as Laurel isn't comfortable with her.

Oliver is all she has left, and resuming their sexual relationship is really more about grasping on to the only piece of "home" that remains than any real feelings of love or lust. She's so close to normal (or a version of normal wherein she's a badass vigilante), but those last few inches are rending whatever's left of her soul.

Caity Lotz is a good actress, I don't care what y'all say. (Okay, maybe some of those yells were a bit contrived, but still, to convey all that in two words? I gotta give credit where it's due.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not even talking about the yelling. I'm talking about like her scene with Nyssa on the docks. That was some lousy acting. Like I said though I don't really care because she fits the role for the most part despite that. It didn't help that Katrina Law was really good and blowing her away in every scene they shared though.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I did love that Arrow aired some same-sex stuff the day before the Sochi Olympics. Strikes me as deliberate.

I think it's more confirmation bias--tons of shows are doing it to some extent nowadays.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really don't know how they can make Laurelthe Black Canary afterthis episode.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Not straight up bad, but uneven. As usual her scenes with Amell were solid, but she definitely has room for improvement. Considering how much Amell (and the rest of the cast) have improved as well I'm not too worried.

And Katie Cassidy did a solid job in expressing Laurel's anger with the whole situation, but while she's still part of the plot this episode she didn't really have any agency in what happened either. Her role is still sort of up in the air regarding the plot moving forward, and with over half the season gone I'm hoping her involvement accelerates a little bit more.

Also how awesome was Canary and the Arrow on the bike? Though I am more used to Canary driving, a la JLU.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

I'm not even talking about the yelling. I'm talking about like her scene with Nyssa on the docks. That was some lousy acting. Like I said though I don't really care because she fits the role for the most part despite that. It didn't help that Katrina Law was really good and blowing her away in every scene they shared though.

Absolutely, and it helps/doesn't help that Katrina Law's got some work to do on this show. It'd be easy to chalk her up as another member of Arrow's rogue's gallery, but I think she's the first one to just drop her goal of her own volition, which says something about her and what we can expect from her going forward. On top of that, she clearly doesn't approve of Malcolm Merlyn's Undertaking, which tells me that she doesn't necessarily have a beef with the city at large -- something that would keep her just off Arrow's radar if she wasn't loving with Sarah in the first place.

She's shaping up to be more complicated than the typical Arrow villain. In fact, my new pet theory is that (speculation based on admittedly well-known spoilers) when/if Sarah dies, Nyssa's going to come back down on Starling with the loving realness, but once she's talked down, Laurel will seek her out and ask to be trained, which leads into her taking over Black Canary.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

boom boom boom posted:

I really don't know how they can make Laurelthe Black Canary afterthis episode.

If I was to guess I'd think the easiest way would be Sarah dies defending Laurel. Laurel would still be mad at Sarah and wouldn't know Sarah is the Canary until this occurs. She takes off the mask and discovers her dead sister. This leads to Laurel becoming the Black Canary as a way of honoring/forgiving Sarah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

HitTheTargets posted:

Hey, I watched the show for the first time tonight. How representative of the show was tonight's episode? Because CW production values aside, I liked it and might watch more.

I mean, hell, I made Smallville my guilty pleasure show, I can stand awkward political speeches and gratuitous as hell lesbians if I get to see some more League of Assassins poo poo.

Pretty drat typical on the whole. "Stuff happens. Cut to Oliver's RL stuff. Action scene with rope arrows. More drama. Action. Cliffhanger."

If you liked tonight's, you'll like the show, and this was a fairly "good but not great" episode. Parts of the middle of Season One drag a bit while it was finding its footing, but when it's on point, it is really on point.

• Locked thread