Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

zoux posted:

And it turns out Satan > all other gods ever.
Well in Sandman Lucifer was way more powerful than all the other gods too, who were ultimately just dreams, so yeah, Supernatural is pretty much the Gaimanverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know why you would watch it at all if you already have your mind set on evolutionism. Yeah, you get to be smug about creationism for a few minutes, but with that time you could listen to real scientific lectures and learn something useful instead.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know why you would watch it at all if you already have your mind set on evolutionism. Yeah, you get to be smug about creationism for a few minutes, but with that time you could listen to real scientific lectures and learn something useful instead.

Because sometimes it's useful to try to understand where the other side of the argument is coming from. If there was any other basis for the creationism theory than "it's in the Bible" then there might be hope for some real discussion.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

Not really. I mean it was a "debate" between two people who clearly aren't going to actually influence each other's opinions. If you really want to see Bill Nye struggle to be as polite as possible while explaining basic, grade-school science to a grown man who simply refuses to accept any of it then I guess it's worth a watch. Spoiler alert: the guy who thinks the Earth is a couple thousand years old uses hilariously bad logic to justify it while discrediting hundreds of years of scientific discovery and progress by calling it "Historical Science" and acting like that somehow means that it's not real. You're better off just going on reddit at this point since the entire debate is probably submitted/upvoted as screenshots/memes.

I mean, this was the level of "debate" (I'm paraphrasing from memory):

Nye: "It says in Genesis that every animal was a vegetarian before the flood, so then why do lions have teeth that are designed strictly for eating meat?"
Ham: "Just because an animal has sharp teeth doesn't mean it eats meat. It just has sharp teeth."

:eng101:

Yeah, it was pretty much like "Arguing on Facebook: The TV Series." I can't remember if "Evolution is JUST A THEORY" was actually said or if it was just something I saw some loving idiot actually post on Facebook afterward.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well in Sandman Lucifer was way more powerful than all the other gods too, who were ultimately just dreams, so yeah, Supernatural is pretty much the Gaimanverse.

The thing that bothered me the most about that arc was that the whole end-of-days thing was awfully America-centric for a religion with middle eastern origins. That, and the difference in "power" between the different gods/angels/demons approached DBZ levels of arbitrary.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 5, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I've been watching Monarchy, which was a BBC series of documentaries about the history of England's monarchy. It aired on PBS, too, I think. It's on Netflix. I highly recommend it. It's addicting. Twelve 45 minute episodes are available.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

VorpalBunny posted:

Because sometimes it's useful to try to understand where the other side of the argument is coming from. If there was any other basis for the creationism theory than "it's in the Bible" then there might be hope for some real discussion.

Except there isn't. I mean this is one of those nutjobs that runs a "museum" where Jesus rides around on a dinosaur; there was never a chance of any new basis for creation being brought to light.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

raditts posted:

The thing that bothered me the most about that arc was that the whole end-of-days thing was awfully America-centric for a religion with middle eastern origins. That, and the difference in "power" between the different gods/angels/demons approached DBZ levels of arbitrary.

Well considering the end of days thing literally revolved around the Winchesters it makes sense that it tended to be based in their backyard. You could get upset that it revolved around the Winchesters but then you'd be complaining that a tv show makes its stars the center of its universe which just seems silly. And at the very least the show did some serious work to get there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Well considering the end of days thing literally revolved around the Winchesters it makes sense that it tended to be based in their backyard. You could get upset that it revolved around the Winchesters but then you'd be complaining that a tv show makes its stars the center of its universe which just seems silly. And at the very least the show did some serious work to get there.

That's not what I mean, I know it's a TV show with a limited budget and all but it's just that like you think "end of days" you kinda think that it's something that's going to have worldwide effects, and while I understand that they were the nexus of it all, it didn't really give the impression that anything significant was really happening anywhere very far away.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBS just got the rights to Thursday Night Football.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/CBS-NFL-Thursday-Night-Football-1077310.aspx

Suddenly there is light at the end of the 8:00pm Thursday ratings tunnel.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

raditts posted:

That's not what I mean, I know it's a TV show with a limited budget and all but it's just that like you think "end of days" you kinda think that it's something that's going to have worldwide effects, and while I understand that they were the nexus of it all, it didn't really give the impression that anything significant was really happening anywhere very far away.

It's been a while since I've seen it so I might be remembering it wrong, but didn't they mention once or twice poo poo going down on the other side of the world? If they did it would have only been said in passing and immediately forgotten about so yeah, your point still stands.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Hi,

Is this the thread where one can talk about how he keeps getting urges to rewatch this teaser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4_r5RlBII

It's got a lot of faults, it's the opposite of subtle and the whole thing is silly in an endearing turn off your brain and turn up your balls kind of way. Classic 24. Make it be May somehow.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Girl Who Opened The Socket

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Irish Joe posted:

The Girl Who Opened The Socket

Can this please be the thread title for whenever the Live Another Day thread gets made?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For people who don't follow the Psych thread, they finally officially announced today that the currently airing season will be its last. Although everyone pretty much already knew it since they sold off all the props and struck the set after filming was done for the season.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I am excited for the winter olympics now after reading this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607043

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

:getin:

I remember 10 years ago when Greece was getting poo poo on for being ill-equipped to host the Olympics. This is taking it to a whole other level.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

poty posted:

Hi,

Is this the thread where one can talk about how he keeps getting urges to rewatch this teaser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4_r5RlBII

It's got a lot of faults, it's the opposite of subtle and the whole thing is silly in an endearing turn off your brain and turn up your balls kind of way. Classic 24. Make it be May somehow.

think of the amount of forms he would have to fill in to fire that weapon :stonk: :britain:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Suburgatory has seemingly replaced Alan Tudyk with Natasha Leggero and a small adopted son for the Shays.

Suburgatory owns bones, guys.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

This is already the most entertaining Olympics and it hasn't even started.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
The picture of the sewer line with the missing manhole cover was hilarious. I can't wait to watch the power go out during the Opening Ceremonies.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
NBC effectively cancels the Michael J. Fox show.

http://www.avclub.com/article/nbc-basically-cancels-the-michael-j-fox-show-107555?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Suburgatory has seemingly replaced Alan Tudyk with Natasha Leggero and a small adopted son for the Shays.

Suburgatory owns bones, guys.

I am sad to see Alan Tudyk go but I have to admit they've been firing hits so far for me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is already the most entertaining Olympics and it hasn't even started.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...iences/?hpid=z8

This should be really hilarious, but I guess we'll have to rely on twitter and poo poo because there's no way NBC covers the colossal fuckup going on.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

IRQ posted:

This should be really hilarious, but I guess we'll have to rely on twitter and poo poo because there's no way NBC covers the colossal fuckup going on.

That article missed the best one:

http://deadspin.com/unfinished-sochi-cultural-center-just-covered-up-with-t-1515885820

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"The Olympics are being held here in February! Better start building the hotels and athletic facilities!" - Russia, 1 week ago

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is what 51 billion dollars buys you in Sochi, Russia:

I keep expecting John Candy to show up dressed as Giorgy to fix everything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa, Netflix is planning to spend $3bn on TV and film content this year.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

zoux posted:

Whoa, Netflix is planning to spend $3bn on TV and film content this year.

Please bring King of the Hill back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hannibal 2 trailer, spoilers obv.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtDb89c7rWA

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Why is Scully reading every line like she's trying to seduce someone?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Parachute posted:

Please bring King of the Hill back.

I think it'll take more than $3 billion to bring back Brittany Murphy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So how was Alpha House, in the end? Did anyone watch it all? The supporting/guest cast list is full of great names and I'm a sucker for Goodman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I marathoned it a couple of months ago. It was funny and enjoyable but I don't remember much now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the only way to get that to join Prime?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have to watch at least some of the Olympics to see how hilarious the sporting arenas look. Man, Russia seems like it really has its poo poo together.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Amazon's Pilot season has started up again:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=nav_sap_aiv?ie=UTF8&docId=1001155581

Should be free to watch for everyone. Bosch, The After and Transparent seem to be getting good reviews so far. I'll skip the Kids shows, here's the comedy and drama pilots:

The After (1 Hour): From Chris Carter, creator of The X-Files. Eight strangers are thrown together by mysterious forces and must help each other survive in a violent world that defies explanation.

Bosch (1 Hour): Based on Michael Connelly's best-selling book series, Bosch (Titus Welliver), an LAPD homicide detective works to solve the murder of a 13-year-old boy while standing trial in federal court for the murder of a serial killer.

Mozart in the Jungle (30 Minutes): Sex, drugs--and classical music--what happens behind the curtains at the symphony can be just as captivating as what happens on stage. Created by Paul Weitz (About A Boy), Roman Coppola (The Darjeeling Limited), Jason Schwartzman (Moonrise Kingdom) and Alex Timbers (Peter and the Starcatcher).

The Rebels (30 Minutes): Julie (Natalie Zea) is in over her head when her husband suddenly dies leaving her as sole owner of The LA Rebels, a pro-football team.

Transparent (30 Minutes): Created by Jill Soloway (Six Feet Under, United States of Tara). An LA family with serious boundary issues have their past and future unravel when a dramatic admission causes everyone's secrets to spill out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

IRQ posted:

I hope that someone makes a documentary that divides its time between the reality of what a disaster the Olympics turned out to be with the propaganda being spewed by Russia, the IOC, and NBC (along with other broadcasters who have to stay on the IOC's good side).

Personally, I'm expecting that the opening ceremony will go without any obvious problems but then the problems start snowballing (no pun was intended but I'm taking credit for it anyway) until things fall terminally behind schedule. 80% of the winning athletes will speak out for gay rights on the podium and suffer mysterious "microphone failures". We'll be hearing constant updates about the horrific state of facilities for the next week until people run out of ways to say, "Holy poo poo, this place is hosed up!" and the attendees just snap and go feral like Lord of the Flies.

And that's when the terrorist attack happens.

It's still not going to be worth following any of NBC's coverage but I'm now looking forward to the Olympics. Well, except the terrorist attack part.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a bit of The After and Mozart. They look like actual shows with real cameras and everything unlike the previous Amazon shows that look like they were filmed for public access television.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So loving hyped for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bown posted:

So how was Alpha House, in the end? Did anyone watch it all? The supporting/guest cast list is full of great names and I'm a sucker for Goodman.

It was alright. A decent enough distraction, and John Goodman was great in it, but nothing too memorable. Also, Republicans by and large act in it exactly how you'd expect them to act in a TV show written by the guy who created Doonsbury. Ridiculous charactertures. I would be rather upset if I were a Republican watching. As I'm not, I did find it pretty funny.

I will say they had some legitimately great moments. Like the very first scene with it's cameo. And the wife of one Senator's reaction to an Anthony Weiner-type moment. Watch it if you already have Prime (the show moves pretty well, with each episode only lasting 22-30 minutes), but it's hardly worth starting Prime to watch it.

• Locked thread