Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

marktheando posted:

Yeah I've had that one. Made me sad that there is no special event for sacrificing the pope.

You can get an achievement for it at least! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

For some reason my only son can't inherit me anymore and everything is going to my idiot daughter. I just reformed the norse faith, he is following our new religion, has a landed title somewhere that's not making him into a Godi or anything. I don't really know what else to include. Could it be because Sweden has yet to pass on medium crown authority (and he has his holding there), but Norway and Denmark have passed it?

Ok, he just died doing something stupid in Trøndelag and i've taken 3 concubines in panicmode. The Crusader Kings 2 experience.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

marktheando posted:

Has anyone ever been sacrificed themselves? I'm curious about what the event looks like from the victim's point of view.

Happened to me in a prior run. I ended up getting spared the first time, then sacrificed the second time. Unfortunately I don't have the text in front of me. It was essentially being dragged out of the cell and then hanged.

ThirstyTurtle
Oct 8, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

Ok, this made me chuckle.

He is having suicidal thoughts.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

KittyEmpress posted:

CK2 is just a giant sociopathy simulator.

My second game in CK2 really made that sink in. I was doing the Munster -> Ireland -> (eat Scotland/England) thing and ended up with Ireland and Scotland, but Scotland was still in gavelkind, I guess because I took it too early and crown authority was too low to change it. My eldest son was in his early 20's, but I amazingly had 2 more sons (4 and a baby) before my king dies (at ~40). My 5yo brother inherits Alba minus a duchy (which is now part of Ireland) while I keep Ireland. I'm a deceitful/kind person, but you know, but it's a kingdom my dad fought hard for so I declare war ostensibly to keep his lovely regent from running the place in to the ground, since he probably would've done so, and his vassals all hated him.

My ambitious wife/spymaster then assassinates my baby brother on her own (which shocked me, but he held a county) and I win the war easily, but apparently pressing all claims meant that I only got the duchy of Albany instead of the whole kingdom. I reload from the save right after my king's death figuring I'll fight just for the kingdom to see if that would work, and sit there and decide if I really think that killing my 5yo brother is what my character would do. I figure I'll start the plot just to see what happens, which immediately snowballs in to a 250+% as I get his spymaster and everything, and he dies and the problem is basically fixed and my realm is back to normal. Just minus a brother.

Of course I could use more male dynasty members, but I figure it's sorta in-character since my wife would likely have knocked off the other brother (so our kids would inherit that kingdom) at some point anyways. At least this way I have one brother still alive, for now.

It's all downhill from here, judging by the LP. It's just too hard to resist some of the easy solutions.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I usually play by my traits. It makes things interesting when you KNOW the best solution is to just loving murder a guy, but you're all just and kind and otherwise saintly, so no, you gotta live with it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
This is ridiculous. With the 'have son' ambition my Norse ruler has had nothing but daughters. 8 daughters.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

I had it all. My grandfather started a count in Nantes and died the King of Bertangaland. Two generations later, I had brought the kingdom of Denmark into the fold, and maneuvered my son to inherit the throne of Norway. Soon, we'd reform the Norse Pagan religion and be unstoppable.

The old king dies, and his adult son inherited. However, it couldn't last. Try as I might, I couldn't kill my brother who had inherited Denmark by way that damned Gavelkind. I sought to remove him from the equation by simply conquering Denmark again. I was at 85% warscore over my brother, then I walked into a inn with tons of fertilizer under the floor.

Oh poo poo, now we're in trouble. I never really wanted to give up the throne, but I wish someone would hurry up and kill me so my uncle can inherit it all and patch it back together again. 10 years of unceasing rebellion and opportunistic attacks follow. Even if I was bumped off now, it would be too late to fix.

:negative:

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 6, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

marktheando posted:

Has anyone ever been sacrificed themselves? I'm curious about what the event looks like from the victim's point of view.

The pictures are the same old gods background as doing the blot.

Intro:

quote:

Although you have been told little, the noise from outside your dungeon is enough to make it clear that your captor, [Root.Host.GetTitledFirstName] is holding a blot where [Root.Host.GetSheHe] will offer sacrifice in worship of [Root.Host.GetHerHis] gods. Guards burst inside your cell and drag you away to the gallows outside the local temple...
Your only response is:

quote:

No! Not like this!
If the liege changes their mind:

quote:

As you stand trembling with the noose around your neck, [From.GetTitledFirstName] suddenly seems to have had a change of mind. The noose is removed and you are brought back to the dungeon. It looks like you will live to see another day.
Your only response here is:

quote:

I... how... what?
Otherwise, your death message is:

quote:

$YOURNAME was offered up in sacrifice to Pagan gods by $KILLER

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well my ironman Roman Empire blew up on me in the 1300s after going all the way from the Old Gods start. And I was just 3 duchies away from reclaiming the old Imperial borders. Yikes. This is what happens when someone becomes too obsessed about borders and making such all duchies stay within their dejur territories. One too many vassal retraction -20 penalties finally did it all in...

I don't feel like starting another Roman game before Raj comes out. So hurry up Paradox, I want my mega Roman Empire to cover all of the territory of Alexander the Great's empire too! From Britannia and the Elbe to the west, to the Crimea in the North and to Afghanistan in the East. :getin:

Are the Holy War mechanics going to be going through any changes? I hope not since it's the only practical way to conquer the Mid East in a reasonable amount of time.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 6, 2014

rvm
May 6, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Wait...people actually use suppress revolts for anything other than arresting vassals?

Religious or liberation revolts can really, really screw you over when you're still small.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

When I snag a bunch of land via holy wars, is it worth it to install people (not family members, just randos generated through inviting holy men) in the baronies, cities, and bishoprics? If I give a county to someone along with all of the unassigned holdings, will they fill it with people of their culture or will it autogenerate courtiers from the local culture? And do the barons, bishops and mayors have any effect on cultural conversion, or does that only involve the count? Up to this point I've been generating people to fill in every holding before turning it over to a count, but after winning Jerusalem in a crusade, conquering all of the Iberian peninsula from the Muslims, and gradually claiming chunks of Arabia, generating people and marrying them off is getting really tedious.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spakstik posted:

When I snag a bunch of land via holy wars, is it worth it to install people (not family members, just randos generated through inviting holy men) in the baronies, cities, and bishoprics? If I give a county to someone along with all of the unassigned holdings, will they fill it with people of their culture or will it autogenerate courtiers from the local culture? And do the barons, bishops and mayors have any effect on cultural conversion, or does that only involve the count? Up to this point I've been generating people to fill in every holding before turning it over to a count, but after winning Jerusalem in a crusade, conquering all of the Iberian peninsula from the Muslims, and gradually claiming chunks of Arabia, generating people and marrying them off is getting really tedious.

It will stay within the culture you originally assign the main title to.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It will stay within the culture you originally assign the main title to.

Oh god, so much time wasted. Thanks for the heads up, you saved me several hours of pointlessly doling out titles.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Spakstik posted:

When I snag a bunch of land via holy wars, is it worth it to install people (not family members, just randos generated through inviting holy men) in the baronies, cities, and bishoprics?

If you right click on the holding in the county menu, one of the options should be "Create vassal" or something like that. It's way, way faster than inviting people.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

If you intend to hand out the county from the get-go, don't bother creating barony-level vassals. Your new count will love you even more for granting him all those titles and he'll create barons that match his culture/religion just as you would since the AI simply detests the Wrong Holding Type penalty.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I literally just take one lowborn guy with no connections to anything and give the entire duchy to him. He then figures out the micromanaging on his own.

Speaking of which, is there any loving way aside from revoking vassalships to make sure duchies stay within their own god drat borders? I loving hate when counts and dukes inherit stuff all the way across the map and the only way to make it right is to make everyone hate you with massive penalties. And the worst is when some duke and duchess marry eachother, meaning the one kid gets control of everything. I find that giving out territories to lowborns with no family tree (and thus no inheritance) keeps things separate for longer but eventually they all conjoin together too. As Roman Emperor I control all of Europe so you can imagine how often it happens. But I need clean intra-empire borders. NEED THEM. :shepicide:

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 6, 2014

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I literally just take one lowborn guy with no connections to anything and give the entire duchy to him. He then figures out the micromanaging on his own.
I try to keep track of my faithful unlanded retainers and give them lands and titles for service, but you only ever really get a handful of these and can burn through them pretty quick. I almost always upjump from random baron because that's the best relationship gain and strategic option. Divide and rule.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I like to do some dude from way off in a random corner of my dynasty for a little extra bonus down the line, but otherwise just give it to some dude. If they're young it's a plus because they will love you as long as you live because of the insane opinion boost.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I never really consider giving titles to family members unless I'm actively trying to shatter the realm. If I have a million sons then I might give them barony-level cities or bishoprics to sequester their asses, but that's it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I really only ever give it to distant family, I keep my close family as controlled as possible so I don't get claim wars out the rear end.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't have elective succession for your realm unless you are roleplaying. It has no downside from what I can see and plenty of upsides. You choose your best heir and all your vassals love it. And if you keep your family small and close to the belt there won't be enough to be a bother.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't have elective succession for your realm unless you are roleplaying. It has no downside from what I can see and plenty of upsides. You choose your best heir and all your vassals love it. And if you keep your family small and close to the belt there won't be enough to be a bother.

Honestly it feels like cheating. There's the theoretical downside that your eldest heir hates it, and that if you gently caress up badly enough you'll get voted off the island, but those never really come up as problems for me.

One thing that sucks about reforming faiths is your kingdom vassals can start doing succession laws other than Gavelkind. I don't mind being on Gavelkind, and it keeps them from being able to tyrant blob for more than a generation at a time.

e: Wasn't gavelkind kind of rare historically?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Never create kingdom vassals. Problem solved!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Only think I don't like about reforming norse is having to poke at the HRE

You can usually do it without too much issue. I normally play as one of the various Norse Counts in the British Isles, and it's pretty easy. Invasion of Denmark, Subjugation of Sweden, fabricated claim on Naumadal. That gets you the three holy sites, and gaining the piety is easy by just chain raiding Ireland over and over again. Park a couple of fleets around the coast, and march 1-2 armies around in a circle raiding. By the time you loop around the raided modifier will have worn off, so you get full piety/ducats for it again. It's also relatively common for Frisia to break off in revolt, which lets you snipe Zeeland via Coastal Conquest. That gets you the fourth one putting MA at a base of 40%, which will then be boosted by your raiding parties.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I think the main issue with Elective succession is the entire "Elector Titles" held penalty.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I haaaaaaate Elective. Between rear end in a top hat vassals throwing their vote to your halfwit aunt who is baroness of gently caress-all in the rear end end of your realm to vassals who like you constantly bouncing their vote between your chosen heir and themselves or oooh maybe that pretty birdie they just saw flying by the window, it is a giant pain in the rear end and I hate it. Give me nice, simple, predictable Primogeniture any day of the week, and if my firstborn is that terrible... that's why God invented knives.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ultimogeniture is where it's at. The safety of primogeniture, nearly as much control as elective, near-guaranteed long reign bonuses, it's got it all.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Normally elections are super predictable though, I've almost always got my designate heir in without a fuss. It's just a matter of high relations.

One time, however, I had a strong genius that I wanted as my successor but my guy was like 80 and the heir was a newborn. I didn't want to deal with a succession crisis or a giant regency so I elected another lovable old geezer as essentially an interim ruler/glorified regent. Everything plays out like I plan, I die, lovable geezer takes over for a period while my heir matures. Problem was that one of my three electoral titles, no matter how much I bribed, feasted, rear end-kissed or hoarded good traits as the lovable interim geezer, my vassals just wouldn't vote for my designated heir. I had absolutely everyone who voted against my designated heir at 100 relations. I lost a kingdom and a hefty number of counties but at least the imperial title passed on.

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience. I felt like I was actually getting into some realpolitik poo poo with some of the things I was doing to convince my vassals to vote for my guy. I checked to see if the electorate had an ambition, if they had one I would fulfill it for the relations bonus. You scratch my back, I scratch yours, that's how politics works sometimes. I handed out cushy council positions, honorary titles, hell I sent over bald faced bribes when all else wasn't available. I even conquered territories and handed off its titles to the electorates for the bigger bonuses.

It'd be kind of cool if that kind of stuff influenced how elections work. Find out what a dissenting voter wants and give it to them to earn their vote.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I find that Elective is superior in most respects to pretty much everything-- but it sort of demands a certain style of gameplay. That is, you must do these things: Breed Grey Eminences, don't spend a lot of time fighting foreign wars, have a vassal pope/antipope and accumulate a lot of money. Diplomatic skill and being well-regarded by everyone is critical for them to vote for your genius heir, keeping your troops at home will keep everyone happy, the pope can excommunicate rivals and popular contenders, and the money is essential for throwing feasts and bribery.

That lends itself to a very quiet sort of ruling style, where much of your time is spent making sure everyone is happy.

EDIT:

HenessyHero posted:

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience. I felt like I was actually getting into some realpolitik poo poo with some of the things I was doing to convince my vassals to vote for my guy. I checked to see if the electorate had an ambition, if they had one I would fulfill it for the relations bonus. You scratch my back, I scratch yours, that's how politics works sometimes. I handed out cushy council positions, honorary titles, hell I sent over bald faced bribes when all else wasn't available. I even conquered territories and handed off its titles to the electorates for the bigger bonuses.

It'd be kind of cool if that kind of stuff influenced how elections work. Find out what a dissenting voter wants and give it to them to earn their vote.

Yup! That's exactly why I like playing Elective. I hate fighting wars of succession and claimant wars, but rushing around cutting deals and courting votes is something I really enjoy. It's not just fun as a liege, it's also fun if you manage to get voted out and try to swing the elections back your way.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 6, 2014

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Suggestions on a nice one county start as Norse? I don't want anyone with event troops and I'd like to use character designer to customize my dynasty and founder (still Ironman though).

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tulip posted:

Yeah. Completely dividing power in your realm between people who hate each other isn't a good idea, strangely enough. It's just a video game difficulty thing in CK2.

CapnAndy posted:

Give me nice, simple, predictable Primogeniture any day of the week, and if my firstborn is that terrible... that's why God invented knives.

In a smaller realm, especially at the beginning of the game, Elective is pretty good. After that it's just opening another vector for the AI to screw you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tulip posted:

Honestly it feels like cheating. There's the theoretical downside that your eldest heir hates it, and that if you gently caress up badly enough you'll get voted off the island, but those never really come up as problems for me.

One thing that sucks about reforming faiths is your kingdom vassals can start doing succession laws other than Gavelkind. I don't mind being on Gavelkind, and it keeps them from being able to tyrant blob for more than a generation at a time.

According to Wikipedia, Gavelkind itself was pretty rare (being mainly a Welsh invention), but other "partible inheritance" systems which similarly split property between the sons were widely used. Most importantly, it was customary among the Germanic tribes, including the Carolingian Empire, which led to a lot of troublesome successions and civil wars and was undoubtedly a major contributing factor to the decline and final division of the empire.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ultimogeniture is where it's at. The safety of primogeniture, nearly as much control as elective, near-guaranteed long reign bonuses, it's got it all.

Have fun doing gently caress-all half the time while your regent runs the realm into the ground.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Never create kingdom vassals. Problem solved!

This is the truth, and yet it's so tempting to only have to worry about pissant dukes in your primary title and have your kingdom level vassals handle the rest. Makes rounding up your vassal levies less of a pain too.

And now, in spite of all my stabbing, I have a megaking of England and Ireland on my hands, who somehow managed to steal the Dutchy of the Isles out from under me as well. Oh well, my Emperor's getting old so I guess it's time to go on a rep-destroying revoke bender before he croaks, again.

EDIT:
Can West Africans take concubines? If they can, that might explain something very curious that happened in the same game.

Zoinker fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 6, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zoinker posted:

Have fun doing gently caress-all half the time while your regent runs the realm into the ground.

Stop having kids before you're fifty or so and it's not that much of an issue.

It doesn't really work for Christians, but who cares. For anyone with the ability to take concubines it's awesome.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well my ironman Roman Empire blew up on me in the 1300s after going all the way from the Old Gods start. And I was just 3 duchies away from reclaiming the old Imperial borders. Yikes. This is what happens when someone becomes too obsessed about borders and making such all duchies stay within their dejur territories. One too many vassal retraction -20 penalties finally did it all in...

I don't feel like starting another Roman game before Raj comes out. So hurry up Paradox, I want my mega Roman Empire to cover all of the territory of Alexander the Great's empire too! From Britannia and the Elbe to the west, to the Crimea in the North and to Afghanistan in the East. :getin:

Are the Holy War mechanics going to be going through any changes? I hope not since it's the only practical way to conquer the Mid East in a reasonable amount of time.

What happened? I was deposed fairly late in the game literally 1 province away from restoring the borders after clawing my way back from the Alexiad start and I managed to battle my way back to the throne in another bloody coup.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does it matter if one or more of the leaders of your armies don't like you very much?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dongattack posted:

Does it matter if one or more of the leaders of your armies don't like you very much?

As far as I can tell it does not. They will never desert with a third of your army or something like that.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Has Pdox mentioned anything about finally addressing long distance interaction poo poo now that they're adding another third to the map? On the one hand, it's long overdue; on the other, I still want to WC as a West African Jain emperor of Brittania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I just reinstalled CK2 through steam and it isn't recognizing my DLC. I have everything except Sunset Invasion and Sons of Abraham, but in game none of the little circles are showing up when I'm selecting a character from the map, even though everything is checked in the launcher window. I had this problem a few months ago, but it only wasn't recognizing The Old Gods after I had initially installed it. Has anyone had this problem? I'm playing on an MBA, and every time I open the game through steam a little popup says the game quit unexpectedly, and I can only get to the launcher if I click the 'reopen' button.

• Locked thread