Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"But Batman's more realistic he doesn't have any powers he's an underdog my god" :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

theflyingorc posted:

Listen I'm basically just irritated at the speech from Kill Bill Volume 2.

I've always been impressed with Kevin Conroy's work on B:TAS - both Batman and Bruce Wayne's voices are distinct, but are clearly the same person making them, but you can easily imagine that anyone who heard both of them speak wouldn't make the connection. It's really really good voice work.

Being able to seperate between identities vocally is such an underrated part of playing a superhero well. Go back and listen to that clip posted instead of watch it. Christopher Reeves is the only person to really nail that about Superman. Not even the animated version hit that so well. That and the naturalistic slouch that it seemss Quitely is the only other person to realize really set apart Reeves' Clark as a different person from Supes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

ARGH I just reread it and it's terrible.

Highlights:
"not particularly well drawn"
Fuckin' Curt Swan.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

mind the walrus posted:

We all are dude. Tarantino basically set the clock back on casual Superman interpretation 20 years with that pile of dogshit, and I like Tarantino (I even like Death Proof).

:stare: drat dude, Death Proof? Really?

I don't have a problem with BatBale's snarling. I just find it funny that he whistles as he talks sometimes so he sounds like a toothless crazy man.

When I'm reading Batman's dialogue in comics, it's always in Conroy's voice and Joker always in Hamill's voice in my head.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Being able to seperate between identities vocally is such an underrated part of playing a superhero well. Go back and listen to that clip posted instead of watch it. Christopher Reeves is the only person to really nail that about Superman. Not even the animated version hit that so well. That and the naturalistic slouch that it seemss Quitely is the only other person to realize really set apart Reeves' Clark as a different person from Supes.

I'm willing to bet it was because Reeve was a theater-trained actor who knew how to make the most of every aspect of the human body to sell a role. You just don't see that same approach with purely screen actors who get reliant on how editing, production design, and costuming can help sell their performance and/or don't find the balance between over the top theatricality and dull understatement.

Action Tortoise posted:

:stare: drat dude, Death Proof? Really?

It's nice to see Tarantino finally just fall in the mud of his exploitation flick roots and be unable to elevate himself out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology… The mythology is not only great, it’s unique.

Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there’s the superhero and there’s the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he’s Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone.

Superman didn’t become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he’s Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red “S” – that’s the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears – the glasses, the business suit – that’s the costume. That’s the costume Superman wears to blend in with us.

Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He’s weak… He’s unsure of himself… He’s a coward.

Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the whole human race.

Are you sure this was Tarantino, and not Lex?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

We're verging into derail talk.

Bring the film talk to the film thread

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm a fan of the new Loki book:

Edit: Agent of Asgard 1

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 5, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdWF7kd1tNo

It's easily the worst part of both movies, especially because of how condescendingly right Tarantino thinks he is in presenting this little speech.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
E:nvm

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So Loki's writing Slash, Kamala's on tumblr... and Clark Kent's on blogspot.

Comics are getting weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's more like they've finally stopped pretending it's 94.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking
that "smug and stupid" scene sort of sweetens his following execution. In the narrative of the movie he winds up being wrong anyway, as her entire struggle was to retire her "superhero/killer" identity and become kiddo/kent full time. I guess you could argue as to whether she does or does not accomplish that since the film ends soon after and you never see how it plays out.

Tarantino needs to get schooled on comics by his buddy Sam Jackson

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ghostlight posted:

What If? vol2 #32

I'm a bunch of pages late on this, but while the rest of that issue is face-meltingly terrible, that Elvis/Galactus 7-page story is legitimately my all-time favorite comic story and that may be my favorite comic page ever. Though you're missing the amazing final panel of Uatu at Elvis' big return concert, wearing suspenders and flannel, claiming that for a few minutes he will be known as the Listener. All while Elvis' shadow is a dancing Galactus.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Cabbit posted:

I'm a fan of the new Loki book:

Edit: Agent of Asgard 1

I'm gonna need the Hawkeye/Black Widow panel of him playing Bass Fishing Simulator 2014.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

404GoonNotFound posted:

I first read slash as the british slang for taking a piss, but the fanfiction thing makes more sense.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Keru posted:

I'm gonna need the Hawkeye/Black Widow panel of him playing Bass Fishing Simulator 2014.

I don't know how people posted panels before Tumblr, everything of note is up there within seconds:

Agent of Asgard #1 still.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 5, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cabbit posted:

I don't know how people posted panels before Tumblr, everything of note is up there within seconds:

Agent of Asgard #1 still.

That's one intense Bass Fishing Simulator. :stonk:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Ridiculous Fishing 2 went a little overboard with their expanded budget in 616.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Look, if you can think of a way to make a Bass Fishing Simulator that doesn't involve a health system, aviation simulators, and a law enforcement engine I'd like to hear it :colbert:.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Look, if you can think of a way to make a Bass Fishing Simulator that doesn't involve a health system, aviation simulators, and a law enforcement engine I'd like to hear it :colbert:.

Hey, Fish & Wildlife officers are serious business.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you guys aren't reading Deadpool The Gauntlet you are seriously missing out. They just brought back Deadpool's Hulk arrows.
A+X #8

Deadpool the Gauntlet #5

Also I just realized it's the same artist.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
It's dumb as gently caress but goddamn did it make me laugh (that probably works for the series as a whole). From Superior Foes of Spider-Man #8.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And again with the Dormammu. Boomerang really needs to start seeing a shrink or something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is that Blade with two hands again?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

goatface posted:

On the grill? That's Obama.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Suben posted:

It's dumb as gently caress but goddamn did it make me laugh (that probably works for the series as a whole). From Superior Foes of Spider-Man #8.

Is that a Galactus pool floaty the chick (no idea who she is)'s in?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Is that a Galactus pool floaty the chick (no idea who she is)'s in?

That's Boomerang's girlfriend and it was a dream sequence so he also started imagining her as Galactus for some some reason (dream logic).

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

We all are dude. Tarantino basically set the clock back on casual Superman interpretation 20 years with that pile of dogshit, and I like Tarantino (I even like Death Proof).

Harvey Kurtzman's interpretation of Superman must drive you guys up the wall then. To him, the creepy "nice guy" version of Clark Kent who's literally begging Lois Lane to be his girlfriend in Action Comics #1 is Superman's real personality. His superhero guise is just a revenge fantasy.

Mad #4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatface posted:

Blade has two hands in Mighty Avengers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Servoret posted:

Harvey Kurtzman's interpretation of Superman must drive you guys up the wall then. To him, the creepy "nice guy" version of Clark Kent who's literally begging Lois Lane to be his girlfriend in Action Comics #1 is Superman's real personality. His superhero guise is just a revenge fantasy.

Mad #4

A big inspiration for Alan Moore's take on Miracleman, apparently.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Folks not realizing Bill's speech is a reflection of Bill's sociopathy and how he views other people and not actually an out of nowhere insert of Tarantino's views on Superman. :cripes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Superstring posted:

Folks not realizing Bill's speech is a reflection of Bill's sociopathy and how he views other people and not actually an out of nowhere insert of Tarantino's views on Superman. :cripes:

See I'm pretty sure there's an interview where ol' Q-ball says that actually is how he sees Superman.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Rhyno posted:

See I'm pretty sure there's an interview where ol' Q-ball says that actually is how he sees Superman.

I went on a cursory google search all I could find was QT saying he liked Superman Returns and that the Bill speech was something he read from a book as a kid. :shrug:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Suben posted:

What a great issue (that also probably works for the series as a whole).

And then he bit Shocker's face.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Superstring posted:

I answered this in the BSS Movie thread, so go there if you have half a fart's worth of interest, just know that it's not how the speech works in the context of the movie that's the problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really wish Nick Spencer could channel that into everything he writes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

What a great issue (that also probably works for the series as a whole).

And then he bit Shocker's face.

Poor Shocker. He's totally arrogant and delusional, but he's also totally in the right to not take poo poo from some stupid head.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Remember how everyone loved/loves the panels in Rover Red Charlie where Red keeps asking how his rear end smells? Yeah...well, page 17 of #3 has finally exposed this book as Ennis finally deciding to see how far his name will go. I can't paste the panel here because it's decidedly NMS and NSFW.

It's a panel where what looks like a young (and apparently mentally-challenged) boy is literally licking a bulldog's rear end in a top hat clean, while saying 'num num num.'

I don't even think DC would've allowed this in Preacher, and they allowed a LOT of poo poo in Preacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
In the latest issue of Mighty Avengers, Monica Rambeau (Photon/Captain Marvel/etc.) meets a fan who's taken Monica's sudden resemblance to Halle Berry as an excuse to pressure her very young daughter into getting her hair relaxed. I can't help but wonder if this is a dig at Land, as it's only been under him that Monica has switched from her traditional afros and dreads to straight hair.

• Locked thread