Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Nastyman posted:

I'm pretty much the opposite myself. I can't stand wires and tubes and poo poo showing anywhere, which is why I love Immibis Microblocks so much. The server I'm on right now is using Forge MCB though, which doesn't fit on ME cables and can't cut Chisel blocks, forcing me to shove all my autocrafting and storage crap into hidden rooms where they can't ruin the view. And even then I felt compelled to spruce up the place a bit so it at least looks somewhat intentional.

Even if FMP were able to cut Chisel blocks, microblocks don't work with connected textures. As for ME cables, if you have Buildcraft, you can use facades, and I believe those can be made from nearly any block.

It's a shame EnderIO isn't better than it is; its conduits and pipes are the best for hiding - you can put redstone, energy, items, and liquids through the same block, and cover them with a facade block that can be painted with nearly any texture. (Also the facade block becomes invisible when holding any pipe/conduit from EnderIO or any compatible wrench in your hand.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Clairetic posted:

Although I could just record my own or get someone with a better cutesy voice to do it. "Hey, listen! *giggles*"

Better yet, get someone with a deep, masculine voice to do it. "HEY. LISTEN. HURR HURR HURR."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Set up a modpack on Technic for a friend who's never used the platform before, and on downloading and running, and all they're getting is this:

First they all say "loading", and if you try to add a new pack URL, they all just say "add new pack: offline".

Using the correct 64-bit Java, firewall is not blocking Technic... don't know what else to do here, never run into anything like this myself.
Digging through stuff like this and the associated problems is why Windows 8 bothers the hell out of me.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 6, 2014

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

m2pt5 posted:

Even if FMP were able to cut Chisel blocks, microblocks don't work with connected textures. As for ME cables, if you have Buildcraft, you can use facades, and I believe those can be made from nearly any block.

We just dropped buildcraft a few days ago because we hardly used any of it anymore. I could have sworn I tried to use facades on ME cables and failed, too. That was months ago though, might have changed at some point. Connected textures wouldn't have been a problem where I originally wanted to put them, but this works well enough. Certainly makes it less tedious to add or remove machines though, and leaves me with more space to pretty up the actual cosmetic areas of my hideout.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 6, 2014

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

It's a shame EnderIO isn't better than it is; its conduits and pipes are the best for hiding - you can put redstone, energy, items, and liquids through the same block, and cover them with a facade block that can be painted with nearly any texture. (Also the facade block becomes invisible when holding any pipe/conduit from EnderIO or any compatible wrench in your hand.)

You can configure FMP to work with chisel blocks. Connected textures don't work with them if they're cut, but that's not true of any FMP stuff - Extra Utilities connected textures work when cut too.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Taffer posted:

You can configure FMP to work with chisel blocks. Connected textures don't work with them if they're cut, but that's not true of any FMP stuff - Extra Utilities connected textures work when cut too.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Someone should come up with a list of decorative blocks to have Wylker add to his pack's config.

Also, I didn't know that, it's been a while since I used Extra Utilities.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Glory of Arioch posted:

A chest on a vanilla minecraft hopper doesn't do good enough?

Vanilla hoppers are horribly coded, to the point Taffer discourages their use on his server.
Still, that's still two blocks, not one, and limits how compact you can make your machine setups.
Also, it would be nice if you could put your input container on the side or bottom of a machine.
Right now I'm using four machines around a tesseract. That way one face can handle both output to my AE and supply power.
Only needs to be one block wide this way. Here I'm also using a turtle programmed to act as a dropper.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 6, 2014

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I am trying to get into attack of the B-team, and I can sorta understand leaving AE out of a pack but what on earth leads someone to think not including treecapitator or inventory tweaks is a good idea.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

axelsoar posted:

I am trying to get into attack of the B-team, and I can sorta understand leaving AE out of a pack but what on earth leads someone to think not including treecapitator or inventory tweaks is a good idea.

(bolding mine) I'm having the same frustration with this FTB pack I'm playing with my husband. All these nifty trees and I'm using birch for now because it doesn't grow higher than I can reach from the ground :sigh:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Hey guys. I haven't been round this thread much but I've officially joined Aidancbrady on Mekanism and we're overhauling the entire mod so I figured I should come back and get active again.
Here's some highlights from the last few days of work.

Full Album - http://imgur.com/a/Ezxj0

Some of this stuff isn't in a public build yet so it's kinda a teaser. Lots of stuff in the works. Mod is going to look completely different in a few weeks. Feedback appreciated.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cheap Shot posted:

Hey guys. I haven't been round this thread much but I've officially joined Aidancbrady on Mekanism and we're overhauling the entire mod so I figured I should come back and get active again.

Some of this stuff isn't in a public build yet so it's kinda a teaser. Lots of stuff in the works. Mod is going to look completely different in a few weeks. Feedback appreciated.

Holy poo poo this owns. Might have to make a new 1.6 world and include Mek once this releases.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

axelsoar posted:

GenerikB was talking about that in today's episode since people were asking him about treecapitator, and showed that you can at least use the Lumber Axe from Tinkers Construct for the same effect (though a bit more effort to make).

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

BlueOccamy posted:

(bolding mine) I'm having the same frustration with this FTB pack I'm playing with my husband. All these nifty trees and I'm using birch for now because it doesn't grow higher than I can reach from the ground :sigh:

Apparently Treecapitator was not included because the Lumber Axe from Tinker's does the same thing. As for Inventory Tweaks who the gently caress knows; luckily it's just a drag-and-drop into your mods folder without worrying about itemids or anything like that.

e: beaten

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
InvTweaks is such a ubiquitous mod that when I play without it I will continually try to sort chests even after I remember it doesn't work.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Cheap Shot posted:

Really digging the models on this. I prefer texture packs / art assets that don't stray too far from the low-res style, and this look great so far even while staying true to that.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Here's a preview video for Applied Energistics 2. Personally, the video's a bit too over-edited for me, plus the shaders are very...blergh. However, what's being shown off is pretty awesome. I especially like the terminals being able to be placed on any wall, multipart style.

...damnit, it's that time of year again where I'm getting tempted to learn Java and figure out how to do Minecraft mods.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edminster posted:

Apparently Treecapitator was not included because the Lumber Axe from Tinker's does the same thing.
I tried to switch over this way, especially since the lumber axe was more intensive and thus, in my mind, compensated for the normally-free convenience of Treecapitator, but I ended up going back to treecapitator because the lumber axes don't destroy the leaves.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its been a while since I played with Millenaire, has it improved at all? I remember it used to be a huge hit to performance.

Are there any similar mods out there yet? I remember there was also one that let you build up your own village and I've always wanted to manage a village in Minecraft, has there been any progress on that front?

Last question, is there any mod that lets me do mini biomes? There is a large biomes option, but I'd really like to be able to find some of the biomes I've never seen all I ever seem to get is endless jungles, and I hate jungles.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Someone is paying me to put together a 1.6.4 modpack
At first I was like "...what?" but with further consideration, a lot of effort does go into putting a modpack together, so yeah that makes sense.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

He wants a loose Viking/Dark Ages theme but not super serious (fantasy stuff allowed in other words). I have all the usual culprits in the pack: Custom NPCs (to do some server setup stuff for him like adding in quests and henchmen), CS2 (for custom block type things and cludges), Metallurgy, MCA (his request), ATG, etc etc

Are there any relatively unknown mods with this sort of theme I should look at? I was considering that cool Runic Enchantment mod but he wants Extra Enchantments or whatever its called more and they aren't compatible to my knowledge.

Growthcraft is obligatory for the booze. Not sure how known or unknown it is but Witchery could fit pretty well in a Viking world.

I'm going to assume you already have Tinker's Construct in the pack because it's just the greatest for medieval tech. There's actually a Metallurgy compat plugin for it. so that's neat.

Chocolate Quest adds a bunch of fun dungeons and decent mobs (which, I'll add, would fit into a viking world just fine) with the downside for you and me that it doesn't play nicely with ATG. :sigh:
Get it anyway if you don't mind floating poo poo.

Vikings need something to fight, though, and good mob mods are woefully hard to come by. Ones that I don't hate include DungeonMobs, Lycanite's, Mutant Creatures, and, if you can stand the monstergirl wapanese stuff, Grimoire of Gaia.

Cheap Shot posted:

Ah, great! Mekanism is a great mod when it gets out of the doing-ore-processing-things-every-other-mod-also-does ghetto, and I think it's seriously underrated. The Robit and the Digital Miner are some of the best things. The best things.

:3:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jetamo posted:

Here's a preview video for Applied Energistics 2. Personally, the video's a bit too over-edited for me, plus the shaders are very...blergh. However, what's being shown off is pretty awesome. I especially like the terminals being able to be placed on any wall, multipart style.

...damnit, it's that time of year again where I'm getting tempted to learn Java and figure out how to do Minecraft mods.

This youtuber is so annoying and overdoes everything, thankfully this video doesn't feature his voice at any point. AE2 is looking seriously awesome though.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 6, 2014

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

Jetamo posted:

It's a total pain in the rear end. Go for it!

On the subject, the mod I promised you guys ages ago, Weird Science, has been making glacial but genuine progress. You can find the GitHub here:

https://github.com/ZettabyteArchipelago/WeirdScience

Don't expect much, though, since most of the effort I've put in so-far has been in learning how to work with bizarre poo poo Mojang did and making a finite gas system that will pay dividends later but doesn't count as content really. It's already insane, though. You can donate blood to get blood buckets, place blood in the world, and then use coagulant on it to get congealed blood blocks. So obviously we're making the mod just as stupid as you'd hope. :v:

Does anybody have a link handy to a decent tutorial on UV mapping in Blender? Just UV mapping / texturing, specifically? I've looked and it's hard to find something specific for that apart from a longer "learn to use Blender" series.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

axelsoar posted:

Treecapitator has a super awkward delay that slows down gathering significantly in smp so I'm glad it's out. To compensate leaves decay instantly in attack of the b team. Just make a tinker's construct broadaxe, it's better than treecapitator even on treecapitator servers (hold shift to use it on those). It's even better in attack of the b-team because of the leaves going away really, really fast thing.

If you are playing on the private server here I can hook you up with a stone head+ardite parts ones. It cleaves down any tree instantly and is easy to repair.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 6, 2014

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

Taffer posted:

This youtuber is so annoying and overdoes everything,

Is it bad that I read this and instantly knew it would be Bevo?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Vib Rib posted:

I tried to switch over this way, especially since the lumber axe was more intensive and thus, in my mind, compensated for the normally-free convenience of Treecapitator, but I ended up going back to treecapitator because the lumber axes don't destroy the leaves.

Ordinarily I would completely agree with you, but in the context of AotB-T they've got something which causes leaf decay to happen like fifteen times faster as compared to normal. It's pretty great!

e: gently caress beaten again

Good Christ that is gorgeous. I love the jetpack actually shooting flames! I noticed a few conspicuous shots of the Robits, but I don't see anything obviously changed about them. Care to give any hints?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Personally I don't like Treecapitator destroying leaves because it does so fairly aggressively, shaving every nearby tree down to a minimum shape which doesn't look good at all. I wind up having to deforest a large area until no extra trees get shaved then replant everything.

Besides, if you want the leaves gone, just make an iron hatchet or something. Once the mining speed is above some easily-reachable value, hatchets instant-kill leaves and use no durability to do so.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So after playing around with Advanced Genetics it really is a giant pain in the rear end requiring tons of tedium (not really effort). Requiring nothing more than a bunch if iron and about an hour of waiting around across crafting 7 different machines and waiting for a ton of skin scrapes to be analyzed I can now climb walls ala spiders.

I think this thing could be a whole lot cooler if I didn't need to climb a tedium wall beforehand. The current process for getting a particular ability is:

1. Make Scraper
2. Scrap animal/mob until inventory is full
3. Use Analyzer to analzyer every skin sample
3.5. Learn every single other machine than the basic requires at least 4 DNA cells
4. Put cells into DNA Extractor to get a helix
5. Put Helix in Decrypter to get helix back decrypted
6. Put decrypted Helix into Splitter, get Gene
7. Collect enough basic genes or of the gene you want to create a completed gene
8. Make syringes, and syringe yourself for blood
9. Centrifuge your syringe
10. Combine the completed gene and your syringe
11. Recentrifuge the syringe
12. Inject yourself for pure profit!

Oh in case I forgot to mention, nothing in this mod can be stacked except that one byproduct of Analyzing and Splitting.

EDIT:
I will mention that some of the abilities it gives can be pretty cool. No inventory loss on death, flight, infinity arrows (I don't know how that's a gene ability but it's cool regardless), avoid creepers (ocelot ability), free teleport

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 6, 2014

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Limerick posted:

Chocolate Quest adds a bunch of fun dungeons and decent mobs (which, I'll add, would fit into a viking world just fine) with the downside for you and me that it doesn't play nicely with ATG. :sigh:
Also, if you hookshot a horse/donkey of any kind it crashes your server.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Set up a modpack on Technic for a friend who's never used the platform before, and on downloading and running, and all they're getting is this:

First they all say "loading", and if you try to add a new pack URL, they all just say "add new pack: offline".

Using the correct 64-bit Java, firewall is not blocking Technic... don't know what else to do here, never run into anything like this myself.
Digging through stuff like this and the associated problems is why Windows 8 bothers the hell out of me.

Check the programs/features menu for a program called "Relevant Knowledge". It's a very friendly piece of malware that is very easy to uninstall and for some reason entirely prevents java from accessing the internet.

EDIT: I guess that's not true- I think it only stops HTTP communications since you can clearly still communicate with the mojang auth servers.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 6, 2014

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Cheap Shot please add an option for BIP robits

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Sunblood posted:

InvTweaks is such a ubiquitous mod that when I play without it I will continually try to sort chests even after I remember it doesn't work.

I obsessively try to sort my inventory all the time just to hear the clicking noise even though it's already sorted. I have a problem :ohdear:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Perfect, thanks!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
So I'm having a bit of an issue. I'm trying to get a full dump if item ID's and unlocalised names from my game. NEI has this option, and does it well. However, the ID's on the dump do not actually match the ID's in game. For instance "Stick" is 280 in game. In the dump 280 is a tile.ForgeFiller. Hell, Stick isn't even IN the dump. How do I get the actual In-Game ID's to dump properly?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Gerdalti posted:

So I'm having a bit of an issue. I'm trying to get a full dump if item ID's and unlocalised names from my game. NEI has this option, and does it well. However, the ID's on the dump do not actually match the ID's in game. For instance "Stick" is 280 in game. In the dump 280 is a tile.ForgeFiller. Hell, Stick isn't even IN the dump. How do I get the actual In-Game ID's to dump properly?

Depending on which mods you have installed they can replace vanilla items with mod versions of those items. I've yet to see NEI screw up an ID dump.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

mechaet posted:

Depending on which mods you have installed they can replace vanilla items with mod versions of those items. I've yet to see NEI screw up an ID dump.

Is this some odd side-effect of forge? I can literally see Stick as ID 280 in NEI in game, the dump however doesn't list it at all.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Gerdalti posted:

Is this some odd side-effect of forge? I can literally see Stick as ID 280 in NEI in game, the dump however doesn't list it at all.

It looks like that's the name of the item if Forge can't figure out what its name is.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

Cerepol posted:

So after playing around with Advanced Genetics it really is a giant pain in the rear end requiring tons of tedium (not really effort).

What are you expecting out of a mod with this TOS?

quote:

All TeamDNA mods are licensed under a custom license.
You are not allowed to copy the style or images rather than sprites or anything else which is shown on your display without a written permission of the author.
You are allowed to make videos which includes TeamDNA mods but you have to delete them when the author of the mod want to.
You are allowed to publish texts or articles to TeamDNA mods but you have to delete/modify them when the author of the mod
want to and you have to make a note that the mod, your text is about, was published by TeamDNA.
You are not allowed to copy or reverse engineer any of the code that was released by TeamDNA.
You are not allowed to upload instances of TeamDNA mods without a written permission of the author.
All TeamDNA mods must be downloaded from the TeamDNA.de-Server.
You are not allowed to copy any texts on forums or websites.

If you violate any of these rules we fell forced to take legal measure.

© TeamDNA - 2014

Oh god, I copied texts on forums or websites! They'll fell forced to take legal measure! :ohdear:

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
That part about videos makes it sound like "If you say anything bad about my mod I'll demand you take it down."

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gerdalti posted:

Make sure you have everything enabled for the dump

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Limerick posted:

What are you expecting out of a mod with this TOS?

Oh god, I copied texts on forums or websites! They'll fell forced to take legal measure! :ohdear:

I think I just found a mod that needs to immediately be added to all NST packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Cerevisiae posted:

That part about videos makes it sound like "If you say anything bad about my mod I'll demand you take it down."

Send a counter-demand for fellatio.

• Locked thread