Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

They don't take them away to shelters and put them to sleep. They just kill them right there in the street, bag them up, and go. Most former Soviet cities have huge numbers of strays and no pounds.

Sounds way more efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cosima posted:

This is the non-hell version of this:

In some parallel universe we all think the tongue parasite is cute and the kitten is repulsive.

If you ever buy fresh snapper and like to eat the head, make sure you check the tongue.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Deteriorata posted:

:ssh: It's a statue

drat we had a guy die of exposure at the end of my street 12-years ago. He was dressed the same, was laying in a snowdrift in front of a parked car, and his skin was bright orange due to the cold. He was a Section 8 resident of the nearby motel, apparently in a low-sugar fog, and laid down to sleep. It was 11-degrees F out.

Content:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PainterofCrap posted:

drat we had a guy die of exposure at the end of my street 12-years ago. He was dressed the same, was laying in a snowdrift in front of a parked car, and his skin was bright orange due to the cold. He was a Section 8 resident of the nearby motel, apparently in a low-sugar fog, and laid down to sleep. It was 11-degrees F out.

Content:

S.A. comes full circle

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

AKA Pseudonym posted:

They don't take them away to shelters and put them to sleep. They just kill them right there in the street, bag them up, and go. Most former Soviet cities have huge numbers of strays and no pounds.

Isn't it in Russia where the feral dog packs figured out for themselves how to use the subway system and stuff?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Choco1980 posted:

Isn't it in Russia where the feral dog packs figured out for themselves how to use the subway system and stuff?

They're almost as advanced as the homeless people in New York! They're for pooping in :smug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my understanding is that all roadkill gets turned into dog food at the roadkill factory

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

umalt posted:

On the topic of grotesques how about we talk about your mom this one on the Washington National Cathedral.

Alien archeologist are going to get so much wrong when we're gone.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Speaking of corrupt sports organizations, FIFA accepted the Qatari bid for the World Cup, and only later did they announce that it would have to be moved to the winter due to the weather getting far too hot in the summer. Qatar apparently got in on a summer bid, ahead of the US, Australia, South Korea and Japan, and now the decision to move the World Cup is going to cause havoc in the European leagues. Look forward to the UK burning to the ground in 2022.

More Sochi

What about the World Cup in Russia, this hellish poo poo is just in one city.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Is there a thread collecting all of these terrible Sochi stories?

As trade:

$775.00 per month

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I've paid more per month for shittier in Boston.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

quote:

What kind of animal is that? It's exactly what I imagined Stephen King's billybumbler to look like.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Ragequit posted:

I've paid more per month for shittier in Boston.

Judging from the bed, that room is less than 3 feet tall.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Captain Trips posted:

What kind of animal is that? It's exactly what I imagined Stephen King's billybumbler to look like.

Looks like a Red Panda.

Ducreux
Dec 14, 2009

Tomero_the_Great posted:

As trade:

$775.00 per month
There is and it's great.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607043

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Wet Fifty posted:

Judging from the bed, that room is less than 3 feet tall.

It's probably on the 7-1/2th floor of some building. The little door across the hall leads directly into the mind of Vladimir Putin.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's probably on the 7-1/2th floor of some building. The little door across the hall leads directly into the mind of Vladimir Putin.

7000 Rubles a pop!

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I went Moscow in 2008 and this dog followed me down the escalator and onto the subway and then got off at stop, Just chilled at my feet for the ride. Moscow had so many dog just hanging around.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Are they mostly nice? They seem like pigeons in the 3 pics I've seen. Has there been any scientific study on them? Tracking of their behavior and movements?

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Feb 6, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They save that for their citizens. :rimshot:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Tomero_the_Great posted:

As trade:

$775.00 per month

Haha the perspective here is tripping me out. Is that a giant lamp, or a desk lamp in a tiny room? Is that door square? It's like a hobbit's home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

RatHat posted:

If you ever buy fresh snapper and like to eat the head, make sure you check the tongue.

That family of parasite is extremely common and can be found on almost all large fish. It's just the peculiar niche that particular species has that makes it unique. When I do volunteer angling for a research group we routinely pluck off hissing cockroach size louses off the fish we are tagging.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Baldbeard posted:

Haha the perspective here is tripping me out. Is that a giant lamp, or a desk lamp in a tiny room? Is that door square? It's like a hobbit's home.

I think the most important item for comparing to the rest of the room for scale is that baseball hat.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LingcodKilla posted:

That family of parasite is extremely common and can be found on almost all large fish. It's just the peculiar niche that particular species has that makes it unique. When I do volunteer angling for a research group we routinely pluck off hissing cockroach size louses off the fish we are tagging.

Well yeah, but these ones might go unnoticed.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BANME.sh posted:

This happens in every city that hosts the olympics, doesn't it?

Not in Vancouver...they just shipped all the homeless to Alberta and threatened anyone with an Anti-Olympics sign in their yard with a $10k fine. :canada:

holttho
May 21, 2007

Blistex posted:

Personally I see the Olympics as some manner of international dog show where they parade their superior breeding and training. Back even as recent as 50 years ago the Olympics were a venue for people with a natural talent. Those athletes would have regular 9-5:00 jobs and lives, today's athletes are just training machines who only have one purpose in life. Hell, the athletes from China don't even have a choice as they are selected from as early as 9 years old to spend the rest of their (useful) lives in one of the thousands of Olympic training camps.

Disband this poo poo and just televise Russian rapid-build projects. That's entertainment!

Up until about 50 years ago, the Olympics were strictly amateur-only. So what you say is exactly correct. But, with the cold war raging, the destitute Communist countries trying to show the world they weren't destitute. They began to 'assist' their aspiring, hopeful, naturally-talented, but still technically 'amateur' athletes with 'volunteered' professional training staff, facilities, food, lodging, and a 'salary' of "your family doesn't go to gulag if you win". Think Rocky IV. By the 80s, pretty much all amateur rules had been phased out simply because it was impossible to enforce. The honor system doesn't work with global politics.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Back in the day poetry and sculpture were part of the Olympics.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pft who has time for that nerd poo poo.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

holttho posted:

Up until about 50 years ago, the Olympics were strictly amateur-only. So what you say is exactly correct. But, with the cold war raging, the destitute Communist countries trying to show the world they weren't destitute. They began to 'assist' their aspiring, hopeful, naturally-talented, but still technically 'amateur' athletes with 'volunteered' professional training staff, facilities, food, lodging, and a 'salary' of "your family doesn't go to gulag if you win". Think Rocky IV. By the 80s, pretty much all amateur rules had been phased out simply because it was impossible to enforce. The honor system doesn't work with global politics.

In the normal parts of the world, though, where Olympic hopefuls are chosen out of the aggregate of smaller relevant contests, it is rad as gently caress to see that there's people out there getting paid to try to be the best in the world at doing what they love.

Splizwarf has a new favorite as of 07:39 on Feb 6, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Back in the day poetry and sculpture were part of the Olympics.

Back in the day tug-of-war was part of the Olympics.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Back in the day, everyone in the Olympics was nude and oiled up.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
At the rate Russia's going, they're going to get demoted from 2nd world to 3rd world.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hydrolith posted:

At the rate Russia's going, they're going to get demoted from 2nd world to 3rd world.

They'd demote themselves if it funnelled cash the right way.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from Sochi

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hydrolith posted:

That is weird. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world are based on USSR vs USA alignment rather then economics. I'm not sure Russia can ever be 3rd world

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

More from Sochi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tomero_the_Great posted:

The one in GBS is basically PYF: hosed-up pictures and stories from Sochi

• Locked thread