Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

abigserve posted:

Can someone sum up for the good of the thread what the gently caress is wrong with russia because it seems like things over there are just messed up on basically every level, from raging alcoholism to no road rules to saints row style insurance fraud

This may sound reductive but its basically cronyism and kleptocracy. In order to get anything done in Russia you must know the right people and even if you know the right people you have to accept that they're going to rob you blind for personal gain. There's no checks on corruption as long as you're on the "right" side of the political leaders who are also beholden to the oligarchs. Its unrestrained capitalism without any real oversight. The surprising thing to me is that this makes Putin a laughingstock internationally and he has to know that and I would have thought he'd make more of an effort for that not to happen. Internally the games will be a success regardless of reality because there's no such thing as a free press in Russia, but to the world its already a farce with the potential for serious tragedy, I would have thought he'd care, but I guess not. Sorry for the unfunny serious post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

Crewmine posted:

It's an expensive holiday resort for a reason. A big complaint of the residents is that the olympic construction has ruined large areas of the city and undermined shitloads of houses

Yeah, have a read about their interactions with the local branch of the Russian Geographical Society.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

al-azad posted:

So I swung the camera around to check out the view and...

Is he a pedophile or a member of Occupy Pedophilia wondering if they're lesbians? Or maybe he's just a citizen concerned that those two young ladies are 6 inches away from a speeding vehicle and don't give a poo poo. Sochi!

Or he is probably just looking at the google car or whatever.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

starting in 92, everything went to hell. things suck there
edit-they sucked before, but for different reasons
http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/article/drunken-nation-russia%E2%80%99s-depopulation-bomb

mass privatization may be bad for you
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)60005-2/fulltext

so russia is basically turning into the land of wind and ghosts.

i personally look forward to our inevitable war with whatever neo-soviet necromancy cult seizes power in the future.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yivgev posted:

i personally look forward to our inevitable war with whatever neo-soviet necromancy cult seizes power in the future.

It's been a land of ghosts for decades - only recently did independent Russia claw its way back to the level of GDP/capita it enjoyed in the 80s. There's been more than a lost generation, and even now it's questionable how much of the regained wealth has trickled down to the masses (hint: not much).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A Pale Horse posted:

Sorry for the unfunny serious post.
If there's any time for Post-Soviet Russian History 101, it's probably now.

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

Yivgev posted:

If Stalin didn't go to war after WWII whatever cult seizes power won't do it either. Even utter Stalin-level crazies understand MAD. Now internal war against minorities? Yeah, that's on ahead of schedule (unlike the Olympics).

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's a city of Groverhauses. Grovergrad.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Yivgev posted:

Google says zombie Lenin is definitely a thing

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadeoses posted:

I was going to reply to this with whatever Grover's name on the Russian version of Sesame Street was.

Turns out it's apparently Grover.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Yivgev posted:

Don't worry about a war with Russia, if that would happen the west can just bribe the Generals to stage a military revolt. One thing I am a bit worried about is that some Russian military officer will just decide to sell a couple of nukes, seeing how corrupt Russia is I'm surprised that it hasn't happened already.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Shadeoses posted:

This makes me smile.

Lord Tywin posted:

Don't worry about a war with Russia, if that would happen the west can just bribe the Generals to stage a military revolt. One thing I am a bit worried about is that some Russian military officer will just decide to sell a couple of nukes, seeing how corrupt Russia is I'm surprised that it hasn't happened already.

The Council on Foreign Relations says there are no confirmed cases of missing Soviet nuclear weapons, but there is "... ample evidence of a significant black market in nuclear materials." Sleep tight.

Everyone should grab an old copy of Expanded Universe by Robert Heinlein and read his essays about traveling in the Soviet Union. Heinlein was actually there when Gary Powers was shot down. It's shocking how well these photographs and stories match up with the experiences Heinlein and his wife had there over fifty years ago.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Here's a Sochi toilet only for professional shitters.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

JG Ballard's Winter Olympics

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.

Noni posted:

Here's a Sochi toilet only for professional shitters.

Wouldn't want to make it too easy for our athletes.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

al-azad posted:

Is he a pedophile or a member of Occupy Pedophilia wondering if they're lesbians? Or maybe he's just a citizen concerned that those two young ladies are 6 inches away from a speeding vehicle and don't give a poo poo. Sochi!

Uh huh. Looking at sexually mature people who may have not reached the age of majority makes you a total pedophile (and no I'm not suggesting he's and ephebophile or whatever it is that redditors use as an excuse for having a fetish for 14 year olds).

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
because thats totally what this thread is about and everyone benefited from reading that, jesus

:can:

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Excuse me this thread is about having 20 toilets in one room and dogs skiing.

:ussr:

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Germstore posted:

Uh huh. Looking at sexually mature people who may have not reached the age of majority makes you a total pedophile (and no I'm not suggesting he's and ephebophile or whatever it is that redditors use as an excuse for having a fetish for 14 year olds).

:waycool:

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

al-azad posted:

He's a member of Putin's elite homo kill squad, marking these women down for immediate transport to the gulag

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

bamzilla posted:

Excuse me this thread is about having 20 toilets in one room and dogs skiing.

:ussr:

That's for the making GBS threads competition after the athletes drink the tap water.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ZombieReagan posted:

look at bright side comrade, this toilet has walls and toilet paper dispenser, for elites only!

The toilet scrub doesn't have a handle.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Every image of bad construction from every e-mail forward from the last 20 years now gets reattributed as a Sochi picture. :toot:

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

steinrokkan posted:

"Guys, I hit the motherload! We'll be able to barter this for as much dogfood as we god drat will!"

is dogfood in sochi food for dogs or made of dogs?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

.lnk to the past posted:

it is for workers

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

.lnk to the past posted:

yes

vvvv wrecked

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

.lnk to the past posted:

da

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it is for workers

or perhaps made of the workers

Mimetastic
Nov 10, 2009
leaked picture of plans for the opening ceremony

Mimetastic fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 6, 2014

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Germstore posted:

Pedo scum spotted.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/espnWD/status/431274562006028288/photo/1

Is this to prevent "electric showers" or what?

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

hopterque posted:

Pedo scum spotted.

:siren::siren::siren::siren:INTERNET DETECTIVE HERE! Look out!:siren::siren::siren::siren:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Armco posted:

https://twitter.com/espnWD/status/431274562006028288/photo/1

Is this to prevent "electric showers" or what?

I guess they figured the cold water line is grounded so why not- which is incredibly dumb on its own, but that's the hot water line.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

fatherboxx posted:

the codes and norms are actually alright, very strict and clear, it is just
1) people who were planning the buildings hosed up in a rush ("oh no, I misclicked something in AutoCAD but the deadline was a week ago so welp")
2) the organisations approving the constuction design were either bribed up or threatened ("look, Petr Alekseevich, the deadline is yesterday, can we just stamp the poo poo these engineers are pros honestly"), and, finally,
3) on the construction site everyone blindly follows the designs: the Tajikistan workers can't read them, the foreman drunk himself to death and the chief engineer is too busy playing World of Tanks or filling reports, so you have escheresque buildings as the result.

i am a legal counsel in a Russian civil engineering company, not connected to Sochi, sadly, but I'll be sure to hit my buddies in the construction that worked there for some awesome horror stories
I think it's mostly 2 and 3, with a dash of 1. Though I think that the designers probably didn't do much detailing, dimensioning, or just plain left things out. The contractor gets crappy plans and has no time, money, or desire for RFIs? This is what you get.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
At this point I think any random bumfuck nation in North Africa could handle the Olympics better. Hell they could even provide lions for gladiator matches.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
First the hotel and now Sean White pulls out of the slopestyle because apparently the course is some snowboarder death machine from hell...I know what event I'll be watching.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

fatherboxx posted:

the codes and norms are actually alright, very strict and clear, it is just
1) people who were planning the buildings hosed up in a rush ("oh no, I misclicked something in AutoCAD but the deadline was a week ago so welp")
2) the organisations approving the constuction design were either bribed up or threatened ("look, Petr Alekseevich, the deadline is yesterday, can we just stamp the poo poo these engineers are pros honestly"), and, finally,
3) on the construction site everyone blindly follows the designs: the Tajikistan workers can't read them, the foreman drunk himself to death and the chief engineer is too busy playing World of Tanks or filling reports, so you have escheresque buildings as the result.

i am a legal counsel in a Russian civil engineering company, not connected to Sochi, sadly, but I'll be sure to hit my buddies in the construction that worked there for some awesome horror stories

I am so looking forward to those stories.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Taint Reaper posted:

At this point I think any random bumfuck nation in North Africa could handle the Olympics better. Hell they could even provide lions for gladiator matches.

VUVUVELLA

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ZombieReagan posted:

Let's hold Winter Olympics in subtropical resort city, do not worry Russia is very modern country!

*fails to get water to not be contaminated in hotels, ceilings are made of tarps, stray dogs roam everywhere*

$51 billion US Dollars

Lets be honest here, a lot of that $51 billion dollars went into Putin's secret piggy bank, and that hasn't even taken into account his oligarch friends doing the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

so this is probably the cheapest olympics cool

• Locked thread