Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

InEscape posted:

Speaking of Peruvian, can I sub in banana leaves for bijao when making juanes? No one near me carries bijao. If so, what flavor change should I expect, if any?

Yes. It's just the vessel you're steaming in - you could use tinfoil if you needed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I guess I'm spoiled being in the land of Greek-owned Coney Islands (Michigan) and you can get a pretty decent gyro for like $2.50

Tzatziki is delicious, but I bought a bottle of 'Tahini sauce' at the Arab store that I use for falafels.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anybody know a good knife sharpener in or around San Diego? I'm in Carlsbad and I don't know who to trust. :tinfoil:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I love making my own roasted almonds, which I coat with a small amount of oil then season with a bit of salt and paprika. The problem I'm having is the seasoning never stays on the drat almonds - I gather it either cooks off, or is just absorbed in. Is there some nifty trick I can use to better "glue" the seasoning to the almonds? Some non-nutritive food varnish maybe?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The easiest way to get coated roasted nuts is using honey or syrup or other sugary solutions. Another thing you can try is using butter or fats that are solid at room temperature. That should work for paprika and salt if they are a fine powder. Finally, the way the food industry does it is using a mixture of starch and gelatin. But I dunno how exactly that works. You should also look into waxes like carnauba wax mixed with bee wax.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Since tahini is prohibitively expensive around here (or atleast I have yet to find a middle eastern market place, and my grocery sells it for $10 a jar) whats a good recipe for it?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Cast Iron 101 question: I found a skillet that used to be my grandma's. No idea how old it is or if there was any seasoning, so I washed it and I'm going to start from scratch seasoning it myself. Here's my method so far, let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I've culled various parts from sources here in GWS and the rest of the internet.

For example, cooking a frozen hamburger patty:

Heat up skillet on stove.
Fry burger with no oil or butter.
Leave the grease left behind in the skillet as it cools.
When it's cool, throw some salt in as an abrasive, and rub it around with a paper towel to scrape off any bits and chunks.
Rinse with water, wipe down again.
Dry and put into cabinet.

I've got non-stick, but I want to give this cast-iron thing a try, as it seems so much easier than doing dishes every time I want to cook something.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Since tahini is prohibitively expensive around here (or atleast I have yet to find a middle eastern market place, and my grocery sells it for $10 a jar) whats a good recipe for it?

Take some sesame seeds and toast them until they start to smell good (over low heat; should take about 10 minutes). Put them in a bowl, add a little bit of olive oil to keep everything moving, and whir it in the food processor or smash it in the mortar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Captain Trips posted:

Cast Iron 101 question: I found a skillet that used to be my grandma's. No idea how old it is or if there was any seasoning, so I washed it and I'm going to start from scratch seasoning it myself. Here's my method so far, let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I've culled various parts from sources here in GWS and the rest of the internet.

For example, cooking a frozen hamburger patty:

Heat up skillet on stove.
Fry burger with no oil or butter.
Leave the grease left behind in the skillet as it cools.
When it's cool, throw some salt in as an abrasive, and rub it around with a paper towel to scrape off any bits and chunks.
Rinse with water, wipe down again.
Dry and put into cabinet.

I've got non-stick, but I want to give this cast-iron thing a try, as it seems so much easier than doing dishes every time I want to cook something.

By "wipe down again" you mean with oil, right?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

By "wipe down again" you mean with oil, right?

Not really, basically just to clean up any grease that's still clinging to the surface.

I seriously have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing to season this thing, I've never used cast iron or known anyone who does.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, seasoning primer:
- Rub with vegetable oil, wipe off excess.
- Bake at 500°F for an hour. Cool off.
- Do this 1-5 times, depending on how spergy you are.

Cooking:
- Cook greasy food.
- Wash with hot water and a stiff brush (or scrub with salt, whatever)
- Dry
- Rub with oil, wipe off excess.
- Store away.
- Repeat.

After about a month you'll have built up decent non-stick properties and you can cook eggs.

If you are cooking things that stick, like eggs, always cook on medium or lower. High is only for searing steaks.

Once in a blue moon if it starts building up gunk:
- Wash with soap
- Dry
- Rub with oil, wipe off excess
- Store away

Oh no! A piece of seasoning flaked off! This means the whole thing's going to fall apart now, right? Nope, just keep rubbing with oil and cooking. It will heal itself and become more flake-resistant over time.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 5, 2014

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I like to put a bit of oil on a paper towel and run that around the pan on a high burner with a pair of tongs before I put it on the shelf.

Dunno if that's considered best practice or not but it works well for me.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Okay, I did the baking part once before I started, so all I'm really missing is the wipedown with oil before I put it away. Cool, thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know this is a really silly question to ask here but I gotta know- what's the difference between a muffin and a cupcake? At first I thought it was fruit (muffin) vs confection (cupcake), but then you have things like chocolate chip muffins. Then I thought it was a difference in cake material, where muffins have to have white breading and cupcakes can be whatever, but then you have chocolate cake muffins which aren't white. Now I think it's a difference in the density of the cake material? I got really bored at work today and started trying to figure out the distinction but I don't know enough about baking to say.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I know this is a really silly question to ask here but I gotta know- what's the difference between a muffin and a cupcake? At first I thought it was fruit (muffin) vs confection (cupcake), but then you have things like chocolate chip muffins. Then I thought it was a difference in cake material, where muffins have to have white breading and cupcakes can be whatever, but then you have chocolate cake muffins which aren't white. Now I think it's a difference in the density of the cake material? I got really bored at work today and started trying to figure out the distinction but I don't know enough about baking to say.

I'm no baker, but I think the density is the key. In my experience (I've eaten plenty of muffins and cupcakes in my time, can provide sources if needed) a muffin is heavier, whereas a cupcake is lighter and "airy"er.

And of course, you'd never see frosting on a muffin.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think there's a difference in method. Muffins are usually made more similar to quickbreads (think banana bread), where the wet and dry ingredients are mixed minimally. They should only be mixed until the flour is a wet and the batter is a bit lumpy. Some cakes (especially the kind in the box) are mixed much more, leading to a different texture. I'm thinking blueberry muffins vs. chocolate cupcakes here, so other cakes/muffins may be different.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sometimes there's jalapeno or bell pepper, but not always. Use aji if you want. Lomo saltado is essentially the Peruvian version of sweet and sour chicken - bastardized Chinese food adapted to the local taste. So, stir fried beef and vegetables with french fries and served with rice. The vegetables can be variable, but you're almost always going to find tomato and big slices of onion. It's a variable dish, and open to lots of interpretation, so just fool around with it until you end up with something you like.

Awesome man, thanks a lot!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Thanks again for all the help this thread has offered.
I have some pork ribs in the fridge that I threw a brown sugar/paprika/cayenne/other good stuff rub onto. Tomorrow I'm planning on throwing the ribs into the slow cooker. Should I add anything apart from the rub to keep it juicy? I have liquid smoke on hand but I've never used it. Was thinking about slathering it in barbecue sauce and Coke but that seems a bit pedestrian? Or will they be fine if I just chuck em in for 8 hours on Low like I was planning?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sharzak posted:

Thanks again for all the help this thread has offered.
I have some pork ribs in the fridge that I threw a brown sugar/paprika/cayenne/other good stuff rub onto. Tomorrow I'm planning on throwing the ribs into the slow cooker. Should I add anything apart from the rub to keep it juicy? I have liquid smoke on hand but I've never used it. Was thinking about slathering it in barbecue sauce and Coke but that seems a bit pedestrian? Or will they be fine if I just chuck em in for 8 hours on Low like I was planning?

Are they boneless or bone-in? Do you plan to eat them as ribs, or shred them and eat them as pulled pork? Either way, they'll be fine without any additional moisture. In fact, they'll create their own "juice" by the fat rendering and connective tissue being converted into gelatin over the long cook time. If you're shredding it you can reserve this liquid after they're done, reduce it, season to taste, and toss the shredded pork in it for a lip-smackingly good sauce.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I had a salad the other day with a yummy smokey/vaguely chipotle-esque dressing, it wasn't creamy or anything. I whacked a bit of smoked paprika in a standard balsamic-olive oil dressing and that was pretty good but I was wondering if any of you guys had a better way of creating that sort of flavour?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bollock Monkey posted:

I had a salad the other day with a yummy smokey/vaguely chipotle-esque dressing, it wasn't creamy or anything. I whacked a bit of smoked paprika in a standard balsamic-olive oil dressing and that was pretty good but I was wondering if any of you guys had a better way of creating that sort of flavour?

Add some of the adobo from a can of chipotles in adobo. Better yet, add some of the chipotle too. Blitz it all together until homogeneous.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The Midniter posted:

Add some of the adobo from a can of chipotles in adobo. Better yet, add some of the chipotle too. Blitz it all together until homogeneous.

Even better, make your own. It's not terribly difficult, especially if you own a pressure cooker.

Homemade chipotles in adobo are way better than canned, IMO.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

The Midniter posted:

Are they boneless or bone-in? Do you plan to eat them as ribs, or shred them and eat them as pulled pork? Either way, they'll be fine without any additional moisture. In fact, they'll create their own "juice" by the fat rendering and connective tissue being converted into gelatin over the long cook time. If you're shredding it you can reserve this liquid after they're done, reduce it, season to taste, and toss the shredded pork in it for a lip-smackingly good sauce.

Nobody had replied by the time I had to throw them in so I just brushed them with barbecue sauce per some recipe online. I am gonna eat them as ribs. Just realized I forgot to add the drat smoke.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How do you sweat an apple?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Make it run laps in the sun :v:

Seriously though: I would treat it like an onion. Since the point is to draw out the liquid, concentrate the flavor, and turn starches into delicious sugars, just chop it small, heat some oil in a pan, and cook on medium-low until tender. What recipe is this for?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

Make it run laps in the sun :v:

Seriously though: I would treat it like an onion. Since the point is to draw out the liquid, concentrate the flavor, and turn starches into delicious sugars, just chop it small, heat some oil in a pan, and cook on medium-low until tender. What recipe is this for?

That sounds correct because it also says to sweat an onion:

quote:

Pistachio Soup
Ingredients

2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and rough diced
1 small white onion, rough diced
1 cup toasted, shelled, unsalted pistachios
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
Salt
Black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Lemon juice

Preparation

Sweat apples and onions down in the butter (do not allow to brown). Then add pistachios and cream and bring to a simmer, and cover with saran wrap and let steep for about 30 minutes off the heat. After steeping, puree the mixture in a blender on the highest setting and run the mixture through fine cheesecloth or preferably a chinois (a fine metal mesh sieve we use in the kitchen). Then adjust the thickness by adding the milk if needed and seasoning to taste with the salt and pepper and lemon juice to brighten. I like to serve this with a little chèvre goat cheese and a splash of olive oil.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
So what's the best site to use when looking for recipes (and by that, I mean I'd like it to just sort of give me good recipes to make and eat) for someone that is really new to cooking (the extent of what I make now is pan-searing/broiling some meat, boiling some frozen vegtables, and using a rice cooker) and wants to get better and doesn't have tons of time to make food either.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I've been keeping it in the fridge, but my ground chuck says sell by January 28th, it is now February 5th. Do I risk it? The government says I shouldn't wait more than 2 days, but they also said pizza is a vegetable, when it's clearly a fruit. Maybe I should spray it with Febreeze first to kill all the germs?

copen
Feb 2, 2003
meat is fine until it smells bad, same with most things.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

copen posted:

meat is fine until it smells bad, same with most things.

Yeah. If you have to stick your nose right up to it and can't smell anything and are wondering, it's fine. Meat especially, you will know when it goes bad.

Your nose has spent millions of years evolving to tell you if things are safe to eat or not, you can trust it.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Cyril Sneer posted:

I love making my own roasted almonds, which I coat with a small amount of oil then season with a bit of salt and paprika. The problem I'm having is the seasoning never stays on the drat almonds - I gather it either cooks off, or is just absorbed in. Is there some nifty trick I can use to better "glue" the seasoning to the almonds? Some non-nutritive food varnish maybe?
Maybe a little bit of egg white?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Master_Odin posted:

So what's the best site to use when looking for recipes (and by that, I mean I'd like it to just sort of give me good recipes to make and eat) for someone that is really new to cooking (the extent of what I make now is pan-searing/broiling some meat, boiling some frozen vegtables, and using a rice cooker) and wants to get better and doesn't have tons of time to make food either.
Youtube has some decent channels for introductory cooking. Gordon Ramsey's cookery course is on there and I thought it was pretty decent. The information can be a bit disjointed since it is framed as entertainment more than an educational tool.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Even better, make your own. It's not terribly difficult, especially if you own a pressure cooker.

Homemade chipotles in adobo are way better than canned, IMO.

I don't have a pressure cooker and chipotles in adobo aren't something I can get hold of without ordering online and paying over the odds when postage gets added. Any other ideas?

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Cuddlebottom posted:

Maybe a little bit of egg white?

This is the best way to get dry spices stuck to nuts in my opinion. I like it with a tiny bit of sugar and a tsp of water per egg white per 1-2 lbs of nuts. get the egg whit and water a little frothy, dump in (roasted and cooled) nuts, coat evenly, toss in spices, roast again to dry out coating.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Bollock Monkey posted:

I don't have a pressure cooker and chipotles in adobo aren't something I can get hold of without ordering online and paying over the odds when postage gets added. Any other ideas?

Well, chipotles are just smoked jalapenos. You can smoke jalapenos yourself, or you can find a source of smoked jalapenos. They come canned in adobo, as mentioned - but you can also get them whole, dried, ground, or in another sauce. There are lots of chipotle-based hot sauces, most notably from Tabasco and from Cholula. A few dashes of chipotle hotsauce in your dressing and there you go.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Name me some good vegetable side dishes to serve with Jamaican jerked chicken (no starches don't count).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Oracle posted:

Name me some good vegetable side dishes to serve with Jamaican jerked chicken (no starches don't count).

Tempura fried cauliflower. Roasted brussels sprouts with a splash of balsamic. Chilled corn salad with white onion, finely diced tomato, olives, and cilantro.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Oracle posted:

Callaloo.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm going to make Nashville Hot Chicken tonight. Since it seems like recipes are relatively hard to come by since they're extraordinarily safeguarded, I was going to run this by you guys before I try to do something and it turn out terrible.

I have two chicken thighs soaking in buttermilk with cayenne pepper right now. I'm going to roll that around in about 6 hours in flour with garlic powder and more cayenne and salt.

I have two options at this point for my frying. I have lard and vegetable oil, and I just got a new deep fryer. I already have a cast iron skillet and a high rimmed cast iron thing. I've never actually made "fried" chicken before, so I'm not sure the best option on this. :confused:

I also am just gonna make a paste out of lard, cayenne, raw garlic, black pepper, and maybe something else? Whatever looks good. Maybe add pickle juice? I dunno.

So yeah, has anyone here made Nashville Hot Chicken and know how to do it up right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

dino. posted:

Callaloo.

Good call. Stir-fried silverbeet (same as swiss chard) with lots of garlic would also be appropriate.