Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

You could use your ginger/honey syrup to make a modified version of the Penicillin.

2 oz scotch
3/8 oz honey syrup
3/8 oz ginger syrup
3/4 oz lemon
shake/strain/float with a smokey Islay scotch

Or maybe use it in a daiquiri with dark rum to do a riff on a Dark and Stormy.

Or maybe a spicy version of a Bee's Knees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I was bored and playing around with my fruit basket, juicer and liquor cabinet, and I made a pretty tasty play on a side car but I'm not sure what to call it.

1.5 oz pear eau de vie
.5 oz triple sec
.5 oz lemon juice
.5 oz fresh blood orange juice.

Thoughts?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fruitbasket.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Or maybe a spicy version of a Bee's Knees?

Did this. It wasn't bad at all. A touch too sharp though, the ginger takes the velvet edge off the honey so the drink has a good bite to it. But it has the feel of a summer drink to it, very crisp.

This syrup seems to call for a dark spirit, going to fiddle with some aged tequila too and see what happens.

If I try it with gin again it would be in a French Seventy Hive in honor of whoever in this thread spawned that beast. I think it would work well there either with gin or cognac.

Edit: that would be nrr deserving of credit.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I was bored and playing around with my fruit basket, juicer and liquor cabinet, and I made a pretty tasty play on a side car but I'm not sure what to call it.

1.5 oz pear eau de vie
.5 oz triple sec
.5 oz lemon juice

Thoughts?

Boots With The Fur

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I bought a bottle of Fernet, and at the moment it stands a good chance of being the first bottle I regret buying. I tried a Toronto cocktail (2 rye, 1/2 fernet), and then a Green Hornet (2oz gin, 1/2 chartreuse, 1/2 fernet). Neither really did anything for me.

Do I just not get it?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

1.5 oz pear eau de vie
.5 oz triple sec
.5 oz lemon juice

Thoughts?

P-town Pinko

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've held off on buying anything like fernet because I don't know what blend of mysterious "herbs and spices" I'm getting. I don't know a bar where I can order a glass of fernet like Alfred Pennyworth.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Halloween Jack posted:

I've held off on buying anything like fernet because I don't know what blend of mysterious "herbs and spices" I'm getting. I don't know a bar where I can order a glass of fernet like Alfred Pennyworth.

I guess you haven't met a tweed and/or waxed mustache guy to tell you that it is an awesome digestif.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Fernet rules but also there are a lot of people who don't get it. It's best neat as a digestif, IMO.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Slimchandi posted:

I bought a bottle of Fernet, and at the moment it stands a good chance of being the first bottle I regret buying. I tried a Toronto cocktail (2 rye, 1/2 fernet), and then a Green Hornet (2oz gin, 1/2 chartreuse, 1/2 fernet). Neither really did anything for me.

Do I just not get it?

I don't like Fernet either, although I've tried.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Considering having the Martinez as the cocktail of the month went well last month, I suggest we pick an new cocktail for the month.

How does a Hot Toddy sound for February?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Devoz posted:

Considering having the Martinez as the cocktail of the month went well last month, I suggest we pick an new cocktail for the month.

How does a Hot Toddy sound for February?

Considering how cold it is here I second that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hot Toddy? Absolutely.

The classic, antique Hot Toddy was just spirits, sugar, and hot water, topped with a scrape of nutmeg. That's still the way I like to make them. Contemporary Hot Toddies usually include black tea and lemon juice, although I think lemon juice is wrong-headed, since hot lemon juice can be very abrasive. If you'd like lemon in your toddy, I think it's better to use a very long peel, express the oils, and let it sit with your spirits in the drink. That can also be called a Skin.

In terms of alcohol, generally spirits with age work best. Look for pot-stilled spirits if possible – the most classic possible Hot Toddy is probably single-malt Scotch whiskey. Look at Trader Joe's for some inexpensive single malts. Smith and Cross makes a memorable hot toddy, as does any decent cognac. For something quite special, try Hollands gin.

Me? Tonight I'm going to use Old Grand-Dad 114. I'll report back on the success or failure of the attempt.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I think I will be making a Hot Toddy tomorrow. This warm California weather hardly calls for one, but who really cares?

Tonight I made a 'Black Rider' using this recipe: http://and1morefortheroad.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-black-rider.html

1 oz Mezcal
1 oz Brandy (I used Torres 10)
0.75 oz Cynar
stir/strain/coupe

It's kind of a play on the Negroni with 1 part dry, 1 part sweet and (almost) 1 part bitter, and it is seriously awesome. Bitter, complex, vegetal and smokey. I also added two dashes of Chocolate bitters and I think it made it even better. I recommend everyone check out this guy's blog, he has some really great posts, especially the recent ones he's done dissecting the standard ratios that are used in Sours, Negronis, Brooklyns and Red Hook type drinks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
2 Evan Williams bonded
.75 lemon
.5 honey syrup (2:1)
.5 cinnamon syrup (1:1 simple simmered with canela or cylinder cinnamon)
3 cloves
Lemon twist, expressed and dropped in

Combine in her tolerant glass or mug minus twist, add water between 190-200 F, express the twist and insert.

Optional: baking spices to taste.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
1.5 oz. knob creek rye whiskey
1 barspoon honey
0.5 oz. fresh lemon juice
4 oz. boiling water
Mix everything in a mug, garnish with a lemon wedge and cinnamon stick.

Decided to try a new variation. Not my favorite, but still good in this cold weather. I am looking forward to trying one using a good bourbon or aged rum.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
In belated honor of GWS Martinez month I had a martinez out last night at a great local place and it changed my perception of the drink. This version had some combo of Ransom old tom and Bombay dry (forgot the actual proportions, but something like 0.75 oz of the Old Tom). It was sweeter than my home version but not cloying. I think if I were to make these regularly I would try to incorporate some Old Tom.

Also I asked which amaro was in one of the other drinks and without me asking bartender poured me a little bit of every amaro they had for comparison. I like this place.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Does anyone know a way to attach one of those drip tops to a bottle of Campari? Or acquiring one? Like you would find on a small bottle of more potent bitters. Would love to be able to more accurately measure it out (use a small amount).

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

Does anyone know a way to attach one of those drip tops to a bottle of Campari? Or acquiring one? Like you would find on a small bottle of more potent bitters. Would love to be able to more accurately measure it out (use a small amount).

You could grab a separate dropper bottle if you want to use dashes of Campari in some drinks. Great for transferring some absinthe to as well to use a couple of dashes for French 75s or Sazeracs.

Something like this little vinegar jar works well

http://www.anchorhocking.com/prodd_5341_cat_255_vinegar_jar.html

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ooh, whose local ABC just started carrying Rittenhouse Rye? I bet you'll never guess.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh maybe there was a recent release then. Hope it'll work its way out to California soon.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

More bitter than Campari and pretty minty. I posted a cocktail using it a while back that was great and it also works well neat or with Coke like the Argentinians.

Also, hot toddy sounds great, I'll do one up tonight.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Butch Cassidy posted:

More bitter than Campari and pretty minty. I posted a cocktail using it a while back that was great and it also works well neat or with Coke like the Argentinians.

I was a fernet skeptic before I went to Argentina. Nothing better at the end of a hot day*. It's a bit of an acquitred taste if you aren't into bitter stuff, but pretty much any non-dive bar should have it.

*Except maybe a Negroni. Fight!

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 5, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Just made an "old fashioned" with Pusser's rum and a wedge of blood orange.

Woah.

WOAH

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Me And My Grandfather

.75oz pisco
.75oz cognac
.75oz lemon juice
.75oz simple syrup

Shake/coupe

Recent favorite, it is definitely the new hotness in our home. Simple, delicious. Give one a try.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
So, Tonight I was figuring out what to do with a bottle of Jim Beam Honey Liqueur that was given to me for Christmas by some not very booze-savvy friends. It's thick and syrupy and I don't much like it, either straight or mixed as the main component of a drink. It almost reminded me of bourbon and honey flavored simple syrup. Suddenly an idea hit me, What if I used a small amount of it to replace the sugar cube in an Old Fashioned? I dissolved Angostura and Blood Orange bitters in about 1/4 Ounce of the Beam Honey in the bottom of a glass, then built my normal Old Fashioned on top of it, using Mackenzie Rye from Finger Lakes Distilling. It turned out better than I had hoped. Just the right level of sweetness, and a little background hint of barely recognizable honey flavor on the finish. The bottle will probably last me two years using it at this rate.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 6, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you like whiskey or amaretto sours, you can use that to stiffen them and replace some of the sugar.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
I was recently at a bar in St Louis - Taste - and had an excellent drink:
Auburn and Ivory
1.5 oz Bonal
0.5 oz Cynar
1.0 oz Camus vs cognac
dash Angustura

Can't remember if it was shaken or stirred. I've made it both ways back home but subbed courvoisier vsop (what I had)for the camus and have finished it with a flamed orange or just a twist.

Good bar doing classics and house cocktails, and drat good small plates of food. Good bourbon selection too.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I think i just invented a cocktail. It's 2 oz of gin (I used Beefeater) in a glass with ice, and then filled with birch beer, say 6 or 8 oz. It's pretty good, though i want to experiment with various garnishes and so on.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Birch beer is awesome and I have not had it in way too long. It sounds like you made a variation of a New Englander.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Birch beer is awesome and I have not had it in way too long. It sounds like you made a variation of a New Englander.

Looking that up, I'm gonna have to try one. Moxie is good stuff. I made another, and added lime this time. It works, though I think with proper birch beer, and not the Polar stuff that they have at the grocery store it'd be better.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Kenning posted:

Oh maybe there was a recent release then. Hope it'll work its way out to California soon.

Not sure where in CA you are, but Rittenhouse is still in stock in the Bay Area. Should I be hoarding? :)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You should always hoard. I'm sure you can find the odd bottle at the specialty stores, but I haven't seen it at my local BevMo in months.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
If someone visiting your house and asks for a White Russian, and you have a bottle of Cruzan Black Strap handy (you should), swap it in for the vodka to make an even more chocolate milk-esque drink than a standard-issue White Russian. They will probably think it's amazing.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I made a Sazerac today but instead of rinsing the glass with absinthe I used Aquavit. Let's call it a SazerAq? It really doesn't taste all that different, but the caraway from the Aquavit pokes it's head in every now and then to remind you that it's there. As a side note, Krogstad Aquavit is pretty good, but I haven't had any others so I can't compare.

I also made a Trident:

1 oz Aquavit
1 oz Cynar
1 oz Amontillado sherry
1 dash peach bitters
1 dash orange bitters
stir/strain/rocks

It's definitely a strange recipe, but it comes together surprisingly well. The peach bitters are also surprisingly noticeable, even under three other layers of super intense flavor. Pretty good but I think that it will be one of those recipes that I need to try a couple times before I really "get it".

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Bringing post over from the "infuse" thread:

This weekend a friend is having a Valentine's Day party, and we're supposed to bring food/drinks that are either red or pink, or love/sex related. I've been soaking dried cherries in cachaça to make this sticky-sweet cordial, and though honestly it's a bit over-sweet on its own (while still being 80proof and a bit rough to sip), I was thinking to do maybe a 1:3 with the cordial and seltzer, and label it as "cherry cordial fizz" or something. Sound workable? Are there any flavors I should add into that to make it more complex (soak a tiny bit of anise, or allspice, or Sichuan peppercorn in the mix?), or best to just leave well enough alone?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

That sounds great. Anise and cachaca specifically. Hello spring, I am stealing that drink.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I still have a little pomelocello left as well, so I might pour a little bit of that in there for the bitterness to help provide a little contrast to the cherry sweetness, plus some citric brightness.

I want to work in some anise flavor, but my homemade anisette isn't quite what I was going for, but I have some Turkish rakı that should work. I'll mix up a tiny sample on the side to play with the proportions a bit, and serve it tonight.

I am finding it surprisingly hard to find a kitchen funnel at an actual brick-and-mortar store, even Target (albeit our tiny urban version). Need to add that to the Amazon list, but tonight have a stick mess trying to jury rig a funnel to get this all into a classy bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Restaurant supply, if you are in an urban spot. Every time I'm let free in one of those I'm afraid my house will end up with metro shelving and speed rails on the liquor cabinet.