Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
LOOK BEHIND GOT ME HYPE. I had to argue with a lot of jerks on the official forum about that, glad it came through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

There are so many concessions you have to make if you want to actually play a racing sim and one of them is see behind. It doesn't matter if it's physically impossible for whatever reason, we need it in a computer game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I haven't looked at Project CARS for a long time and I have to say I am blown away by what I am now seeing at their community gallery...

Project CARS site posted:

As usual, all shots show purely in-game footage that has not been made in any special photo mode, using no post-processing or filters that aren’t available during the actual gameplay – What you see below is what you experience while driving!

Check it out (oh god please be a good game!)

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/project-cars-community-gallery-78/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

An Enormous Boner posted:

There are so many concessions you have to make if you want to actually play a racing sim and one of them is see behind. It doesn't matter if it's physically impossible for whatever reason, we need it in a computer game.

Agreed. There are so many things that you lack while playing any type of vehicle simulator, and a really big one is situational awareness. A 5.1 speaker setup will only get you so far, and mirrors never seem to be clear enough or high enough resolution to really let you use them like you would in real life.

Using TrackIR to look all the way behind me (through a car interior that is missing most of the polygons behind the driver seat) in rFactor is something I had to enable by editing an ini file to increase the distance you could look, but man is it nice to actually glance over my left shoulder when I'm pulling out of a pit to make sure I'm not going to plow into someone.

I kind of put AC down for a while since I got into playing multiplayer rFactor/Race07, but the moment that sim gets multiplayer (assuming it is as good or better than rFactor/Race07) I'm probably going to play nothing but that.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

peter gabriel posted:

I haven't looked at Project CARS for a long time and I have to say I am blown away by what I am now seeing at their community gallery...

Check it out (oh god please be a good game!)

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/project-cars-community-gallery-78/

Yeah, I might end up getting pCars when it comes out, because while AC may be the superior sim, I'm really jonesin for a GT/Forza type 'gotta collect em all' game...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They always say "In game shots with no post processing" but my game never looks like those shots with all the graphics cranked up.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Cojawfee posted:

They always say "In game shots with no post processing" but my game never looks like those shots with all the graphics cranked up.

Same here. I got in when they had it open to get into the preorder/alpha/beta whatever. Its never looked that good for me. No matter what I tweak. I'm sure there is some way to do it, but I highly doubt many people will get that sort of look in the game and be very disappointed.

That said, its also not very fun to play at the moment, at least for me, with things like Asseto feeling so much better to drive. But I'll wait until its done before I really moan about it.

*edit*
This is the best I've gotten it to look on my system. Keep in mind the screenshots suffer from SteamCompression(tm) issues. Hosted on my website.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 1, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Yeah, I might end up getting pCars when it comes out, because while AC may be the superior sim, I'm really jonesin for a GT/Forza type 'gotta collect em all' game...
PCARS' career mode is optional. All cars and tracks are unlocked from the start, if you don't want to grind unlocks (that are still present within and only within career mode).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thank for the info there.
I've always been a bit suspect about CARS screenshots, I mean, without being rude there is no way that is gonna work on the new consoles for one.

So is the general opinion the the screenshots are doctored or what? I'll be relying on you guys for opinions on CARS because I can't play it but drool over the screenshots like a toddler every time I see them.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

peter gabriel posted:

Thank for the info there.
I've always been a bit suspect about CARS screenshots, I mean, without being rude there is no way that is gonna work on the new consoles for one.

So is the general opinion the the screenshots are doctored or what? I'll be relying on you guys for opinions on CARS because I can't play it but drool over the screenshots like a toddler every time I see them.
What I think they do is there are some camera options when you're in a certain free-flying mode while playing pCars.

What they're doing is simply adjusting the camera values to maybe pump up the saturation and make the colors pop more, or adjusting the focus to make things appear slightly blurry and give that sense of speed.

That said the game does look really amazing with a good setup.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

real_scud posted:

What I think they do is there are some camera options when you're in a certain free-flying mode while playing pCars.

What they're doing is simply adjusting the camera values to maybe pump up the saturation and make the colors pop more, or adjusting the focus to make things appear slightly blurry and give that sense of speed.

That said the game does look really amazing with a good setup.

Ahhh, cool, thanks.
Well I'll be able to run it maxed so I am looking forward to it a lot still, is there any info regarding release dates?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

November 2014. Tentatively, IIRC.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So pretty soon after AC gets its release, hmmm, should be a fun time for sims.

Now I understand a little more about these screenshots, do we get stuff like this happening:

http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/0391.png

Because that level of detail seems insane to me and it's on every part of every cars as far as I can tell.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

From what I know, there's a difference in LOD between the player car and others, either AI or multiplayer. Your own car will be higher detailed than others. You'll notice that the very high detail shots are usually close ups of a single car with nothing else in view. Wet screenshots also look better, because everything's reflecting the sky and masking the rather repetitive street textures.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

HELLO COMPUTER RACING MANS!!!

I am part of a group that will be hosting a big race, and I need a couple of things.

I need some clarification in terms of what to call it. I want to call it a rally race, but it's not a timed stages type thing. Instead, 15 cars will line up together on a starting line and race together at the same time in a point A to point B style race. What would the proper term be for that? It involves stock cars, on a long winding course that covers dirt roads and paved roads, countryside and city streets.

Also, is there anyone here who watches a lot of races and would know anything about... being a commentator?

My group will be hosting a 15 car race Across the Fictional Mediterranean Island if Altis, using the Game ArmA 3. Again, apologies to all since this might not be the right place to ask such a bizarre thing (if there is a better place to ask, please let me know (note: not games, already been there)

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

You would be fine calling the race a rally, it's not entirely inaccurate. If you want something different though, in the Dirt series of video games they refer to the type of race you're doing as a Land Rush. I'm not sure if Land Rush is used to describe anything motor-sports in reality however.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That would definitely be called a rally, see events like the paris-dakar or baja rally.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
You guys see D Series yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/devotid/d-series-off-road-driving-simulation-for-pc

Empty Box playing the demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llMLDY5S5PE

Words cannot describe how stoked I am to have a new offroad sim... and stadium trucks look fun as poo poo. I'll probably pull the trigger on the kickstarter once I try the demo, which I'm about to try right now.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
If you really want to be a pedant, it would probably be most accurate to call it a single-stage rally or a point-to-point race.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks for the replies

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PCARS has a new gearbox simulation, and the first phase of the turbo physics overhaul is in. Latter seems important, because for some reason, up until now, turbo spooling was dependent on throttle position instead of engine load. I suppose that explains why you could get the turbo to full boost by just slightly tapping the throttle before, while standing still. Jesus Christ...

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

AgentCow007 posted:

You guys see D Series yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/devotid/d-series-off-road-driving-simulation-for-pc

Empty Box playing the demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llMLDY5S5PE

Words cannot describe how stoked I am to have a new offroad sim... and stadium trucks look fun as poo poo. I'll probably pull the trigger on the kickstarter once I try the demo, which I'm about to try right now.

It looks like he's driving a grippy car on tarmac. I don't know anything about the cars themselves, but that looks super arcade to me. I hope I'm wrong because we need something other than RBR to play.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ordered that gteye spring late at night on Wednesday and got it this afternoon (Friday). Won't be able to test it till tonight, but drat that's fast shipping from aus, I selected standard too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Google Butt posted:

Ordered that gteye spring late at night on Wednesday and got it this afternoon (Friday). Won't be able to test it till tonight, but drat that's fast shipping from aus, I selected standard too.

Assuming you're in The US they have a shipping center in California.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

GutBomb posted:

Assuming you're in The US they have a shipping center in California.

Welp that makes sense.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I really, really, hope that someone releases tools or at least documentation on exporting maps to AC soon. Kunos has taken a stance against ported content (as they have to), but god drat do I need this in AC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uei4_3TSHu0

I installed rf1 to drive this and it is just nowhere near as fun as it should be. Even the FOV (and consequently sense of speed etc) seems weirdly off. The default view is comically wide and often so far down it would be eyes in my stomach if I sat in the seat; the next step is 35*, where I can barely tell what speed I'm going and have no feel for position (for the record I use 40* in AC now). I've been trying to find a car that handles well and also isn't broken, and the results haven't been heartening. So far, other than the excellent supra and nsx mods, which are still unsatisfying because of the engine, everything seems... well, kinda crappy.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/10/make-vroom-for-world-of-speed/

Apparently Slightly Mad is developing this and Project CARS?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Probably same engine, as such easy effort. Doesn't read like it's going to be a massive open world, tho. Gotta check their forums later today. Several people have been bugging them about doing something like TDU a fair while ago, more in a joking sort of way, resulting in some weird reply from Ian Bell. Maybe it was on their minds for a while now.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I wish someone would just make Test Drive Unlimited but have it not suck total rear end. Forza Horizon ALMOST did it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can't they just finish Project CARS first?

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

There is a kind-of hands on preview posted here with more information about it (It's described as 4 v 4 team racing). So it doesn't sound like a TDU replacement, but some weird Raceroom mishmash.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently WOS has been in development for a year now and PCARS has been profiting from license and asset sharing, and common development. It'll feature some arcade physics model tho, they say something like Burn Out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

SMS banned someone from their WMD forums for editing the Project CARS Wikipedia article in a way they didn't like. :suicide:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Assetto Corsa has really managed to dim my interest in Project CARS.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

SMS banned someone from their WMD forums for editing the Project CARS Wikipedia article in a way they didn't like. :suicide:

What was the edit? Ian Bell though is pretty sensitive to absolutely everything. It doesn't take much to get him to start crying.

I've stopped paying attention to Project Cars. I use to be on board pretty hardcore with that sim, but they've fallen way behind schedule and just don't seem to have their poo poo together anymore.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

First official trailer for Project CARS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e89TRSaGe9I

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basticle posted:

I see the PS3/360 versions got dropped. I'm gonna wait for the PS4 version to come out.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Basticle posted:

stars move wrong, not impressed.

Spa is not on the south pole.
I guess that would be the north pole. Its the earth turning, not the stars.

Also, has there been any new mods for Assetto Corsa aside from Joux Plane?

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 14, 2014

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

An Enormous Boner posted:

It looks like he's driving a grippy car on tarmac. I don't know anything about the cars themselves, but that looks super arcade to me. I hope I'm wrong because we need something other than RBR to play.

My experience was pretty much the exact opposite... car all over the place and FFB trying to kick my hands off. He may have just tweaked the truck setup, but my out-of-the-box experience was nothing like that video; it was really rough. Trophy trucks normally have plush, long-throw suspension setups, so his video looks more accurate. Either way, there is much off-road feel to be had. I don't know if it will ever be as good as RBR though, because the engine is some Unity racing offshoot.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

I really wish AC had a weather and lighting engine as good as Pcars, but you can still do some cool things with the sun position and exposure.

• Locked thread