Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

SedanChair posted:

It's my understanding that Zimmerman has been travelling from Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart eating ice cream and has probably reached new heights of obesity. If DMX spends the next few weeks training his left hand and footwork we could be in for the most entertaining/sad spectacle in the history of boxing.

He was skinnier than Court Zimmerman in his eBay pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

comes along bort posted:

Weird question but have any of the usual suspects gotten pissy over CVS's decision today to stop selling cigarettes and tobacco?

Yeah there are already ineffectual threats of ineffectual boycotts and stuff. The Freep thread had a page or two about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

comes along bort posted:

Weird question but have any of the usual suspects gotten pissy over CVS's decision today to stop selling cigarettes and tobacco?

Talking head for a "smoker's rights" organization was on NPR saying they're hypocritical because they still sell junk food, not sure if that counts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I distinctly remember the fact that Obama smoked and was trying to quit being used as an attack against him as being unfit for the Presidency. FOX News ran a poll once titled something like: Obama: would you elect/vote for a smoker? but Google is failing me.

So gently caress them is what I mean.

I always thought it was kind of weird anyway to go into a pharmacy to pick up my medicine for whatever it was that making me sick and seeing cigarettes for sale, so whatever. And I even smoke. Like I'd go in to get antibiotics for bronchitis or some poo poo and there's cigarettes for sale.

Also, gently caress these idiots. Aren't they always all "FREE MARKETS! Companies can do/sell and discriminate in whatever they want!"?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, gently caress these idiots. Aren't they always all "FREE MARKETS! Companies can do/sell and discriminate in whatever they want!"?

They don't actually support free markets. :ssh:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
It's well known that though DMX breaks bread with the enemy, he breaks those who are sent to him regardless of the quantity of cats with whom he has previously broken bread.
I'm not sure why DMX is participating, but maybe it'll be like Bill Nye against that creationist nutbar.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BiggerBoat posted:

I distinctly remember the fact that Obama smoked and was trying to quit being used as an attack against him as being unfit for the Presidency. FOX News ran a poll once titled something like: Obama: would you elect/vote for a smoker? but Google is failing me.

It wasn't a poll it was just something they talked about with this graphic.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

kik2dagroin posted:

He did take a brief moment to whine about how he is being sued for being a climate denier though :laugh:

In related news, his counsel for the suit has apparently dropped him over inflammatory statements he made about the judge on the show.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Iron Crowned posted:

Talking head for a "smoker's rights" organization was on NPR saying they're hypocritical because they still sell junk food, not sure if that counts.

"Smoker's rights" is stupid but, their complaint has merit. When I worked for a nation wide pharmacy chain they sold junk food, homeopathic medication and tobacco. Those are three things they should not be selling if their goal is to "help people on the path to better health."

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So right on the heels of Cokegate, the republican research into outreach to the 'hip' electronic-age youth of TODAY is going swimmingly well.

http://blog.maxistentialism.com/post/75728077169/gawker-the-republican-national-committee-today

quote:

The Republican National Committee today excitedly announced the launch of a new startup lab to bring techies and creatives together, Silicon Valley-style, to get Republicans elected. Oh, and they named it for a Nazi gun, a type of ammo, and a philosophy that puts war before peace.

Welcome to Para Bellum Labs, America! “Para Bellum Labs will help create a culture to allow the RNC to innovate faster and recruit more talented people who can build digital platforms to understand public opinion, engage voters and power elections,” RNC Chairman Reince Priebus gushed in a press release this morning. Para Bellum plans to recruit on top engineering school campuses and hold fun hackathons.

The charm offensive all starts with the video above, which makes Para Bellum look like a much cooler place than DeVry Institute to get your associate’s degree in IT. “I chose to be a part of Para Bellum Labs because this is something that has never been done before,” says new employee Lauren. (By Republicans, no, this has not been done before. Not successfully. But by Democrats, well, um. Yeah.)

The thing about Para Bellum, though, is that name. In Latin, it literally means “(prepare)* for war.” That’s dumb enough, probably: Hey, idealistic young programmers! Let’s save the world by crushing our enemies, seeing them driven before us, and hearing the lamentation of their women.

In fact, it’s part of an old Roman cliche, “Si vis pacem, para bellum”—if you seek peace, prepare for war. That’s been quite an inspiring little phrase through history, at least to militarists. It was especially inspiring to Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken, the German government’s arms manufacturer from the late imperial era to World War II.

DWM started using the “parabellum” phrase as a name for its signature guns—first, the light machine gun used by the Kaiser’s best during World War I, and then its most iconic gun: the Parabellum Pistole, or the Luger pistol.

Edit: But wait! There's MORE!

http://jpupdates.com/2014/02/04/njdc-condems-rnc-naming-new-innovation-lab-nazi-pistol/

quote:

NJDC Condemns RNC For Naming New Innovation Lab After Nazi Pistol

The Republican National Committee (RNC) announced Tuesday the creation of “Para Bellum Labs” – an initiative to describe the work and startup culture of the new Digital and Data Department. According to the announcement, Para Bellum Labs will help create a culture to allow the RNC to innovate faster and recruit more talented people who can build digital platforms to understand public opinion, engage voters and power elections.

“The RNC has a role to lead on data and digital for the good of the Party from the top of the ticket down,” said RNC Chairman Reince Priebus. “Through Para Bellum Labs we will continue bringing in top talent to inspire innovative products to power campaigns and change the way we do business in the Republican Party.”

Though ‘Para Bellum’ means “(prepare)* for war” in Latin, the phrase “parabellum” was used by a German arms manufacturer as a name for its signature guns-first, the light machine gun used by the Kaiser’s best during World War I, and then its most iconic gun: the Parabellum Pistole, Gawker immediately noted.

The National Jewish Democratic Committee rushed to call on the Republican Party to apologize for using sensitive term for new innovation. NJDC Executive Director Rabbi Jack Moline said, “Frankly, I am astounded and sorely disappointed that the Republican National Committee would put so little thought into the message of their new venture. Using the phrasing “para bellum” not only exploits horrific symbolism, but also communicates a fatalist &violent message toward any who differ with you.”

“The RNC should immediately repudiate the name of this venture, denounce the approach it suggests, and apologize to all the people this names offends—those of the Greatest Generation, those who have ever been victims of gun violence, and those in the Jewish community and beyond who were victims of the Nazi genocide,” the NJDC statement read.

Asked for a comment by Slate’s Dave Weigel, RNC spokesman Sean Spicer responded with a link to a definition of “gawker”: “Interestingly, a spectator who stares stupidly without intelligent awareness.

Print Friendly

I am looking forward to republicans wearing their new 'red-state armbands' and nice clean brown shirts to show support to the bright new faces of the GOP, and morale boosting themselves by shouting "seek hail!" - as in, seek a hail of votes!

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 6, 2014

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spacedad posted:

So right on the heels of Cokegate, the republican research into outreach to the 'hip' electronic-age youth of TODAY is going swimmingly well.

http://blog.maxistentialism.com/post/75728077169/gawker-the-republican-national-committee-today

I am looking forward to republicans wearing their new 'red-state armbands' and nice clean brown shirts to show support to the bright new faces of the GOP, and morale boosting themselves by shouting "seek hail!" - as in, seek a hail of votes!

I can't remember where I saw this earlier on SA or I'd give credit but apparently someone already grabbed http://parabellumlabs.org
Be sure to check out the jobs board.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I also just want to take a moment to publicly give my thanks to the NJDC for standing up for the memory of the holocaust, and defending all the groups who were made victims of nazi atrocity (including my own - homosexuals) by highlighting and combating ignorance like this wherever it comes from.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The Ape of Naples posted:

I can't remember where I saw this earlier on SA or I'd give credit but apparently someone already grabbed http://parabellumlabs.org
Be sure to check out the jobs board.

Change the blackboard to a whiteboard and the background photo looks just like the room I studied MCSE certification in during high school. :D

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Edit: But wait! There's MORE!

http://jpupdates.com/2014/02/04/njdc-condems-rnc-naming-new-innovation-lab-nazi-pistol/

The 9mm Parabellum round has been around since before WWI. It's NATO's standard pistol round, it's the caliber currently used by the US military in their Beretta's. Calling it a "Nazi" round is ignorant and foolish.

I mean, it's the type of thing that Limbaugh et al would say. German pistol round? You know who else were Germans? :godwin:

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 6, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Gretchen Carlson wants to know if it's legal for CVS to not stock cigarettes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

"Smoker's rights" is stupid but, their complaint has merit. When I worked for a nation wide pharmacy chain they sold junk food, homeopathic medication and tobacco. Those are three things they should not be selling if their goal is to "help people on the path to better health."
Junk food is really lovely, but you're at least getting some cheap calories out of the deal. Tobacco just kills you while being a drain on your wallet, and I guess homeopathic pills don't hurt you but it also doesn't provide any calories so it's literally money for nothing. Of course, a pharmacy shouldn't be selling any of the three, but this is the Land of the Free :911:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gretchen Carlson wants to know if it's legal for CVS to not stock cigarettes.
Come on, there's no way this isn't an act. She's just playing the character of a dumb person, right?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Junk food is really lovely, but you're at least getting some cheap calories out of the deal. Tobacco just kills you while being a drain on your wallet, and I guess homeopathic pills don't hurt you but it also doesn't provide any calories so it's literally money for nothing. Of course, a pharmacy shouldn't be selling any of the three, but this is the Land of the Free :911:

A little off topic, but I remember one of the very first auto-tune the news episodes had a clip from some congressman saying that the health danger to smoking was the act of smoking and not so much what was being smoked. He said, for example, if you smoked a piece of lettuce it would be just as damaging because of smoke inhalation. I'm going to assume this isn't true because of the damage that chewing tobacco can do but just how much of the damage caused by smoking is a byproduct of the smoke itself?

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

A little off topic, but I remember one of the very first auto-tune the news episodes had a clip from some congressman saying that the health danger to smoking was the act of smoking and not so much what was being smoked. He said, for example, if you smoked a piece of lettuce it would be just as damaging because of smoke inhalation. I'm going to assume this isn't true because of the damage that chewing tobacco can do but just how much of the damage caused by smoking is a byproduct of the smoke itself?

Inhaling any heated gas into your lungs is not good. Cigarettes also have loads of chemicals that are dangerous beyond that.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Lycus posted:

Come on, there's no way this isn't an act. She's just playing the character of a dumb person, right?

You really have to wonder about some of the dweebs on fox, because from that book/expose that was done by the guy who worked there for eight years, you apparently only work there if you were rejected from basically every other network. Gretchen Carlson does have an impressive education, but one wonders why she's not doing something better than working on Fox & loving Friends considering that.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Not really true. I mean, even discounting the stuff in cigarettes that's extra bad. Smoke is in and of itself is harmful, but that misses the point that cigarettes are addictive and lead to chain smoking. I mean the only other thing I can think of that people recreationally smoke is weed and even your most dedicated stoner is going to approach the amount of smoke inhaled on a daily basis of a smoker with only a medium habit.

Saying that it's the smoke that's bad misses the points that the addictive nature and rate of consumption of cigarettes doesn't exactly have any peers.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I really hope that congressman was openly mocked on the media. The smoke is the vector for all the horrible crap in the cigarettes. So smoke from benign plant material like lettuce, not this kind of lettuce http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactuca_virosa, would be bad wouldn't be as bad as cigarette smoke.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

I really hope that congressman was openly mocked on the media. The smoke is the vector for all the horrible crap in the cigarettes. So smoke from benign plant material like lettuce, not this kind of lettuce http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactuca_virosa, would be bad wouldn't be as bad as cigarette smoke.

He was definitely mocked, I was just trying to figure out how big the kernel of truth in his statement actually was.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Armyman25 posted:

The 9mm Parabellum round has been around since before WWI. It's NATO's standard pistol round, it's the caliber currently used by the US military in their Beretta's. Calling it a "Nazi" round is ignorant and foolish.

I mean, it's the type of thing that Limbaugh et al would say. German pistol round? You know who else were Germans? :godwin:

The parabellum pistol AKA the luger has a history that dates back before WW1, but it's become a highly recognizeable icon of the nazis and the holocaust since then. This is definitely not a case of Godwin's law - it's a case of insensitivity and lovely research, which is why people are demanding an apology and a retraction of the name.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Spacedad posted:

The parabellum pistol AKA the luger has a history that dates back before WW1, but it's become a highly recognizeable icon of the nazis and the holocaust since then. This is definitely not a case of Godwin's law - it's a case of insensitivity and lovely research, which is why people are demanding an apology and a retraction of the name.

Nobody's called the pistol the Parabellum in even a Republican's lifetime, so I don't know about even calling it lovely research. I honestly think it's reaching to make a Nazi connection here.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Chantilly Say posted:

Nobody's called the pistol the Parabellum in even a Republican's lifetime, so I don't know about even calling it lovely research. I honestly think it's reaching to make a Nazi connection here.

Even then, calling your digital youth outreach 'prepare for war' is a really stupid and short-sighted thing to do, and it shows just how out of touch the Republicans are.

Then again, the last time I heard that phrase was the Punisher movie, so it could just be them clinging to something mildly cool a decade ago in hopes it will cover up that nasty bigotry problem they're having.

Then again, it wasn't used as Nazi symbolism in that movie (just bland action schlock), so your argument has a point.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Even then, calling your digital youth outreach 'prepare for war' is a really stupid and short-sighted thing to do, and it shows just how out of touch the Republicans are.

Then again, the last time I heard that phrase was the Punisher movie, so it could just be them clinging to something mildly cool a decade ago in hopes it will cover up that nasty bigotry problem they're having.

Then again, it wasn't used as Nazi symbolism in that movie (just bland action schlock), so your argument has a point.

Yeah, I left out in that post that, you know, depending on how charitable you're feeling towards them, naming their strategy center 'prepare for war' is either eye-rollingly stupid or eye-poppingly psychotic, neither of which rely on a reaching reference and cheap outrage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

J.A.B.C. posted:

The phrase is *really* common on right-wing gun nut forums. They're just playing to their base here. It's tone deaf to non-right-wingers because we aren't right wingers.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The phrase is *really* common on right-wing gun nut forums. They're just playing to their base here. It's tone deaf to non-right-wingers because we aren't right wingers.
I thought it was supposed to attract young techy libertarians?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Forgall posted:

I thought it was supposed to attract young techy libertarians?

I don't think the GOP outreach team is too skilled at segmenting their market, or basically any basic tenet of marketing.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Armyman25 posted:

Also para bellum is 'prepare for war' in Latin.

edit: I missed that in the original article, but yeah

King Metal fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 6, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I thought it was surprisingly good name, didn't know it was another name for Luger though. Now I personally still think it is an okay name but they should change it, for sort of the same reason that you're a moron if you use the word niggardly.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spacedad posted:

Oh please. If the standard for Nazi symbol is 'things Germans invented before WW1 that the Nazis used frequently' then you'd have to add aspirin to that list.

There's a lot to mock here without trying to make extremely spurious connections to facism. Like how Parabellum Labs sounds like a scammy bitcoin miner startup.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
You know what else pre-dates the Nazis?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

menino posted:

You know what else pre-dates the Nazis?

The better comparison here is the Iron Cross, used by the Germans before, during, and after WWII. The Nazis didn't invent 9mm ammunition.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I for one am outraged that the RNC would stoop to collude with the dastardly Hun. It seems they've forgotten the Lusitania.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

J.A.B.C. posted:

Out of touch? No, they know exactly what they're doing. Look at how much SECOND REVOLUTION!!!! bullshit there is floating around and how much rhetoric they vomit about "traditional American values are UNDER ATTACK!" They want their base to believe that those wily, awful Democrats are actively attacking them to rile them up and get them to fight. They know they're losing and declining politically so they're breaking out dirtier tactics. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were, in fact, trying to stir up another civil war of some sort.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is any interest but here's a little article about the composer of the Coke commercial.
http://www.lohud.com/article/20140205/NEWS02/302050076/Hartsdale-composer-s-Super-Bowl-Coca-Cola-ad-struck-nerve-viewers

quote:

Composer Robert Miller has helped write and produce music for more than 2,000 commercials, television shows and films.

But it is probably safe to say that none of them has struck a nerve quite like the Coca-Cola ad that aired during Sunday’s Super Bowl.

“I expected a strong reaction,” said Miller, 55, of Hartsdale, speaking by phone from his recording studio in SoHo. “But I didn’t expect this much controversy, to be honest.”

A multilingual hymn to the American melting-pot, the ad, titled “It’s Beautiful,” features “America the Beautiful” sung by a chorus of young women in English and seven other languages, including Spanish, Tagalog, Mandarin and Arabic.

Miller said the inclusion of various races and religions was meant to reflect positively on the country’s diversity. The ad also shows two dads rollerskating with their daughter — the first time a Super Bowl ad featured a gay family.

“I wasn’t salivating to make any political commentary,” Miller added. “I was out to show the America I know as a baby boomer who grew up in the Bronx in this very wonderful, diverse mix.”

Along with many positive comments, the ad also spurred criticism on social media sites, including Twitter and Facebook, much of it from people who feel the song should only be sung in English.

“I loved showing people of different ethnicities but I didn’t like hearing ‘America the Beautiful’ in different languages,” said LoHud.com commenter Lisa Morello of Port Chester. “It is a patriotic song. Leave it.”

The 60-second spot was created by the advertising agency Wieden & Kennedy, with music by Miller.

The Hartsdale resident has been scoring Coca-Cola’s ads since 2008. He made his Super Bowl debut that year with an ad featuring two balloons from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade battling for a super-sized bottle of Coke over the skies of Manhattan.

Recording the music for “It’s Beautiful” was very much a family affair.

Miller’s wife, Elena Barere, a violinist for the Metropolitan Opera, can be heard playing on the string section. The couple’s daughter, Carolyn Miller, sang the English-language lines.

“It was really cool to hear everyone do it in their own way, in their own language,” said Carolyn, 15, a freshman at the Hackley School in Tarrytown who is studying at the Manhattan School of Music.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

“Para Bellum Labs will help create a culture to allow the RNC to innovate faster and recruit more talented people who can build digital platforms to understand public opinion, engage voters and power elections,”

Sure they beat us at Chess and Jeopardy but I still wouldn't bet on them coming up with an answer to "What's with all the fag lovers?" that will satisfy Justin Amash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Hey, you don't have PM's, so can you email me at my username at gmail dot com?