Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

S-Alpha posted:

They both gouge to poo poo though. 110 bucks for a Sinanju Stein. :cripes:

The sad thing is that's actually discounted. US MSRP is $115.50. Thankfully Bandai has been setting much better US prices the last few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

The better your cutters are, the less time you have to spend sanding. Though honestly if you spent $20 on your nippers they're probably pretty drat good.

I always used the three step process of 1) cut them off the model tree with nippers 2) used a hobby knife to cut off the end 3) sand. Always worked well for me, so the quality of my nippers isn't a huge deal for me.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I have some friends who do Warhammer, and I think their prices are way more insane than Gunpla in the US. They're little dudes, come molded in a single color, and have zero engineering or moving parts. And they come from the UK, which is a little less exotic than Japan.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The concept of non-importing is foreign to me, I know of 3 stores in my country that even sell gunpla but €30 for a +-1200Yen HG is just stupid.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

One thing I miss about Japan regarding gunpla is getting "used" kits for half price or less at these stores I used to go to.

In this case, used meant "someone bought it, took it out of the shrink wrap, looked inside, closed the box back up, threw it in the closet for a year and then sold it back to make space in their house."

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

I have some friends who do Warhammer, and I think their prices are way more insane than Gunpla in the US. They're little dudes, come molded in a single color, and have zero engineering or moving parts. And they come from the UK, which is a little less exotic than Japan.

Seriously. Coming from 40K, I was amazed at how cheap Gunpla stuff was, while being of generally higher quality. I saw some people complaining about ~$100 models, while people easily spend way more than that on some armies.

EDIT: Just to add, when I completed my first Gunpla and saw that I had this pretty decently sized, fantastically detailed model that moved and transformed, I felt like Amazon was having a firesale on these things. Probably never going back to 40K; that stuff is so expensive.

For my $25, I managed to get the HGAC 1/144 Wing Gundam, or I could have spent that on this one guy (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1050240).

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 6, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Back in the summer of '94 I used to hike down to Shibuya couple times a week, score as much Gunpla as I could reasonably carry, then spend my evenings loading up on German food and beer while building kits at the bar. It was as close to heaven as I'm ever likely to get.

edit: I realize I'm in no position to sneer at Warhammer dudes (there but for the grace of God) but 25 bux for a figure your cat might accidentally swallow is just nutty.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 6, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I think this is a fairer comparison:

The one on the left is molded in solid grey and has to be glued together into a mono-pose, but the sprues include a few options for weapons, which are also going to be glued on unless you spend the time and money to magnetize things. The price is $85.
On the right is an HG Gouf Custom, which if you're in this thread, you should probably know what to expect regarding color separation and posability. The price is $16.

Edit: By their nature, the minis are generally going to have more surface detail than an HG, but you're still talking about double the cost of a standard MG that has a detailed inner frame with moving parts and probably has a tiny molded cockpit and pilot too.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 6, 2014

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

SpikeMcclane posted:

The one on the left is molded in solid grey and has to be glued together into a mono-pose, but the sprues include a few options for weapons, which are also going to be glued on unless you spend the time and money to magnetize things. The price is $85.
On the right is an HG Gouf Custom, which if you're in this thread, you should probably know what to expect regarding color separation and posability. The price is $16.

Edit: By their nature, the minis are generally going to have more surface detail than an HG, but you're still talking about double the cost of a standard MG that has a detailed inner frame with moving parts and probably has a tiny molded cockpit and pilot too.

I would murder for an actual HG styled battlesuit or dreadnought kit.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpikeMcclane posted:

Yeah, that's a much better comparison. 40K though is ridiculous even compared to similar miniatures sold by other companies. The markup is insane.

I suppose I'm still recovering from sticker shock.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
As I understand it, everything sold by Games Workshop is ridiculously expensive. I really don't know why consumers let them get away with that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They also swap the brand of paint they put their GW label on without telling anyone about it pretty frequently.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

This just makes me wonder if Bandai put out a sourcebook to tabletop wargame using HG models, if they would start selling really well in the US/West.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

As I understand it, everything sold by Games Workshop is ridiculously expensive. I really don't know why consumers let them get away with that.

Because there are people who keep buying armies upon armies constantly and prop them up. Over the years, the quality has been dropping and the prices have been rising. Finecast, their resin models, are absolutely horrible, but people keep buying them, because there are no other options. Businesses don't care about people complaining on forums, because the same people just buy the stuff anyways.

Also, they've driven away people who get casually interested in it and want to try the hobby out. These people go into a GW store, get pitched 100+ dollars of models and supplies, and end their journey there. Or they see that painting and glue is required and get scared off, because the idea of ruining expensive models with your inexperienced paint job is incredibly intimidating.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 7, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Still using Citadel clippers here, what are criteria for good clippers? Think I'm going to try and find some tomorrow before starting on MG Nu Gundam.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GW's business plan is to sell 1 box game to a male between the age of 13 and 18. If they never spend another dime on GW, GW has won. If that customer buys more than that from them, it's gravy.

Also you can get gouged in Japan. Check out what the Toy Box at Narita sells HGs for.

5600 yen, last time I was there.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Holy mother of God that is the best 50 bucks I've ever spent on Gunpla... :swoon:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

BizarroAzrael posted:

Still using Citadel clippers here, what are criteria for good clippers? Think I'm going to try and find some tomorrow before starting on MG Nu Gundam.

Cuts cleanly and as closely to the plastic as possible, leaves as little stub as possible, requires little force to cut, can fit into tight places (so low-profile), a spring mechanism to open the blades after completing the cut, and good quality metal.

I used a pair of citadel clippers for a long time, then got a pair of cheap (tamiya?) cutters because they were much thinner than the crazy thick citadel ones. Then I got a godhand in preparation for Phenix.

Citadel clippers aren't bad, but I had problems with the spring in mine breaking and the metal near the points getting chipped, so they didn't cut as well as they could. They're also really hard to get in and around some pieces because of how chubby they are; my godhands have no problem with that but because of how fine they are, it feels like I'm going to break the blades if I try to cut anything thicker than the piece of sprue connecting the kit piece to the frame (though they probably won't, I'm just being a wuss), whereas my tamiya and citadel clippers will go straight through the thicker outside plastic frame no problem.

Of course, if you want a pair of godhands you might have a problem getting them in a day :v: They were in stock on hobbysearch about a month ago, the last time before that they were in stock was about november. Also they're like $30.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They actually put safety nubs on the mustache. :psyduck:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

They actually put safety nubs on the mustache. :psyduck:

Well they had to go somewhere. It's not like Turn A has a v-fin. :v:

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I've never understood the appeal of Turn A. It's like it's all inside out and backwards. I guess I just don't get it. It had to have been drug induced right? Tomino in a fever pitch, at the back of an opium den just scrawling out designs, and settling on that one, driving him mad. Compulsively sketching it over and over until it became like a wood bore in his mind.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nope it was designed by Syd Mead so it's good and I like it

Caros
May 14, 2008

slightpirate posted:

I've never understood the appeal of Turn A. It's like it's all inside out and backwards. I guess I just don't get it. It had to have been drug induced right? Tomino in a fever pitch, at the back of an opium den just scrawling out designs, and settling on that one, driving him mad. Compulsively sketching it over and over until it became like a wood bore in his mind.

Gotta agree with this. The Turn A is an ugly, ugly loving machine.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Turn A is the cilantro of Gundams: you're either hard-wired to like the flavor or wrinkle your nose at the very thought of it.

The one I never could understand is Astray: layer upon layer of extraneous surface detail plus ridiculous over-the-top weapons and it's all so EXTREME and BADASS in a vaguely embarrassing middle-school way, yet people eat that poo poo right up for some reason.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

slightpirate posted:

uhh.... Syd Mead designed alot of the stuff in Turn A, including the Turn A itself. If you look at most of the guy's scifi work, it really isn't too different from what he normally draws and paints. (and not far off stylistically from the way the Spinners from Blade Runner look in his illustrations.) It's a style from a time gone by, and it just sorta works for the bizarre world that Turn A sets up.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 7, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Turn A is one of the few Gundams that actually looks futuristic. No hating. :colbert:

Seriously though, it's an incredibly unique design that hits all of the classic Gundam design aspects yet still manages to be its own thing, it's got some incredible engineering going on (I will be so sad if the HG doesn't replicate the MG's moving leg vents, those were particularly amazing) that translates very well to real life (MG Turn A is one of the most flexible/balanced kits in the entire line, and it came out way before most of the big advances; one reviewer even incorrectly attributed one of the things it did to have first shown up on the 3.0), and of course it's got the stache. It's a great design.

EDIT: Like, see this?

The list of kits that can actually pull off that pose and keep it forever is vanishingly few. The Turn A can do it easily, because it turns out Syd put a lot of thought into making the design work instead of just drawing a cool robot! I mean he did that too, but still. Even if you don't like the end result, you have to at least respect the work that went into it.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 7, 2014

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Syd Mead owns and if you dislike the Turn A, you a busta :colbert:
He did a ton of design studies that ended up being collected into a somewhat rare artbook called Mead Gundam; you can very clearly see the line of progression from his take on the RX-78 to the ol' mustache we all know and love.

Bonus Turn X:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Anyways getting back on the subject of the upcoming HG, I'm really interested in seeing how it connects on to the Turn A. If its just a peg (and it probably will be) I can easily put it on anything I want. :getin:

Why yes, I think the Destiny needs another pair of wings. And hey, the Perfect Star Build Strike Full Package Plavsky Wing [Speed Mode] could always use something else on the back.

poo poo, I actually want to try making that last one now.

EDIT:

You know, that's not actually as much as I thought it would be. I'm not getting it of course, but hey for the price of the MG Aile Strike vRM you could have the ultimate backpack.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 7, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

3 posted:

Syd Mead owns and if you dislike the Turn A, you a busta :colbert:
He did a ton of design studies that ended up being collected into a somewhat rare artbook called Mead Gundam; you can very clearly see the line of progression from his take on the RX-78 to the ol' mustache we all know and love.

I have that artbook, friend got it for me for 40 bucks a couple of years ago.

It's an interesting book, wish I could read japanese though. It's fun seeing Meads little notes as he's sketching stuff.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 7, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Anyways getting back on the subject of the upcoming HG, I'm really interested in seeing how it connects on to the Turn A. If its just a peg (and it probably will be) I can easily put it on anything I want. :getin:

Why yes, I think the Destiny needs another pair of wings. And hey, the Perfect Star Build Strike Full Package Plavsky Wing [Speed Mode] could always use something else on the back.

Oh god, it'd be an orgy of backheavy plastic. And it'd be beautiful. Shine on you crazy Gunpla.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT:

You know, that's not actually as much as I thought it would be. I'm not getting it of course, but hey for the price of the MG Aile Strike vRM you could have the ultimate backpack.

Is the HGCE Strike compatible with the perfect strike backpack? I'm not a big Strike fan, but the Perfect Strike is kinda nifty...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm wondering what other related things I could throw on that. The IWSP from the old 1/144 Strike Rouge? The Gunbarrel from the 1/144 Dagger 105? Maybe work in the other Build Custom parts?

I'd need like six action bases to keep the thing up, and it'd be glorious. Maybe I'll pitch the idea to my club some day and see if they spring for it.

muike posted:

Is the HGCE Strike compatible with the perfect strike backpack? I'm not a big Strike fan, but the Perfect Strike is kinda nifty...

Yes. Or rather, the Perfect Strike attachments are compatible with the new Aile Striker.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 7, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm wondering what other related things I could throw on that. The IWSP from the old 1/144 Strike Rouge? The Gunbarrel from the 1/144 Dagger 105? Maybe work in the other Build Custom parts?

I'd need like six action bases to keep the thing up, and it'd be glorious. Maybe I'll pitch the idea to my club some day and see if they spring for it.

Full Armor Unicorn gatling shields and have it surf on the Infinite Justice's backpack?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes. Or rather, the Perfect Strike attachments are compatible with the new Aile Striker.

If you ditch the Beam Saber holsters on the Aile Pack, you might be able to sneak the Amazing Weapon Binder guns to those slots. The Amazing Booster might be worth it if you can figure out a pair of free peg slots for the rocket boosters, and there's also the Build Mk-II Booster for general backpack extension. As for handheld guns, you might want to look into some of the System Weapon packs as a standard rifle and shield just aren't going to do your fit of madness justice.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 7, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mead Gundam got a reprint last year so it is fairly easy to find at the moment. Loads of people have it available on Amazon.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Turn A is one of my favorite Gundams. The design looks so futuristic and alien. I really wish we'd get more Turn A kits like the WaDOM, Bandit and Mahiroo (although even a HG of the WaDOM would be enormous.)

My dream Gundam show is a prequel to Turn A that shows the war that destroyed civilization and has a bunch of crazy Syd Mead style mobile suits and crazy advanced technology like warp drive and poo poo but that will never, ever happen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thinking of ordering this:

http://www.hlj.com/product/kbykp-305

as my first non-Bandai snapfit kit, how much glue/painting do these things usually require?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

as my first non-Bandai snapfit kit, how much glue/painting do these things usually require?

I find that koto kits have really good color separation and need much less painting. The panel lines are generally wider and there are more. No glue. The plastic used is harder and thus more brittle so dont force anything. Easier to sand without accidentally ruining detail.

I havent built any metal gears, only SRW, Zoids, Frame Arms and Muv-luv. No complaints, I prefer them to gundams.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 7, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm actually gonna go against the grain and say I really dislike the Turn-A/X, and most of the show's original designs. Something about the rounded edges everwhere, and the ball-like joints just really rubs me the wrong way. I guess it wouldn't come as a surprise given how I gush about the really sharp, angular suits of Sentinel/AoZ/Unicorn. Though, to be fair, I don't really care for most (Neo) Zeon/Sleeves/etc suits either, so at least I'm consistent I guess.

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know about the black one, but I saw a review of the original a while back, and it's totally different from your normal Bandai/Koto snapfit kit. The entire kit is molded in one color, glue is required for most parts, and it's generally more like a regular scale model than gunpla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

I'm actually gonna go against the grain and say I really dislike the Turn-A/X, and most of the show's original designs. Something about the rounded edges everwhere, and the ball-like joints just really rubs me the wrong way. I guess it wouldn't come as a surprise given how I gush about the really sharp, angular suits of Sentinel/AoZ/Unicorn. Though, to be fair, I don't really care for most (Neo) Zeon/Sleeves/etc suits either, so at least I'm consistent I guess.

I think we may be opposites, because I'm not a fan of the Unicorn at all, and I really love Zeon mobile suits.

• Locked thread