Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
This is the most genial and least ramble prone I've ever heard Malthouse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D9ysHW07Ak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Cloud the Cat posted:

Yeah I honestly can't see what the big deal is, who even cares?

Amen to that, and good on you for saying it.

I just don't get the big deal. I honestly don't think it matters at all. It's pretty obvious that the Crows are just posturing to piss Port Adelaide, and Port are just posturing back. This whole junk about how it's "disrespectful" to past SANFL legends and all of that is just that, junk.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Sounds like only the chairman of the SANFL approved the guernsey and the board as a whole is going to block it.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

TG-Chrono posted:

Sounds like only the chairman of the SANFL approved the guernsey and the board as a whole is going to block it.

Got a pic?

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

quote:

"I don't care," Smart said.

"The Adelaide Football Club was created by the South Australian National Football League as a team for all South Australians in 1990. In 2014, we are still that team."

Maybe I'm reading a bit more into this than I should, but this struck me as pretty hard jab at Port's validity as a South Australian representative. Maybe that's the point, who knows. Pretty amusing.

Currency Exchange
Dec 29, 2008
SANFL have told the Crows they can't wear the SA gurnsey

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...8-1226818767749

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

angrynaut posted:

Maybe I'm reading a bit more into this than I should, but this struck me as pretty hard jab at Port's validity as a South Australian representative. Maybe that's the point, who knows. Pretty amusing.
From reading articles over the creation of both the Adelaide Crows and the Port Adelaide AFL teams, a lot of the bad blood came around when the AFL offered its first licence to the SANFL for a SA AFL side, and Port Adelaide being the 2000 pound gorilla of the SANFL thought this automatically meant they would be the AFL side. Other SANFL clubs had other ideas, as they hated Port as much as most VFL fans hated Collingwood.

Thus where the Crows came from, the SANFL teams giving Port the middle finger.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

You Am I posted:

From reading articles over the creation of both the Adelaide Crows and the Port Adelaide AFL teams, a lot of the bad blood came around when the AFL offered its first licence to the SANFL for a SA AFL side, and Port Adelaide being the 2000 pound gorilla of the SANFL thought this automatically meant they would be the AFL side. Other SANFL clubs had other ideas, as they hated Port as much as most VFL fans hated Collingwood.

Oh, I know about all the bad blood, but I just find it amusing that they're making it sound like they're the sole representative for South Australia in the AFL. Not a huge deal, but if I were a Port fan I'd be a little ticked off basically being told I'm not supporting the right team.

All of this is great, though. A real, proper rivalry is rare these days.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

gay picnic defence posted:

I reckon they should bring it out for the showdowns and whichever team won the last showdown should get to wear it the next time to rub it into the opposition that they are the best South Australian side.

Yeah this is kind of cool.

Failing that, just let both teams wear it round 2 and then everyone wins.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I think it's poor form from whomever at the AFL who authorised it. Clearly a shot at Port's validity as a team for South Australians.

Imagine if Collingwood or Essendon busted out the Big V for a game.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I always thought that Port Power had no pretensions of being the team for all South Australians, they were the team for Port Magpies.

Dandy GO
Sep 27, 2004

flavour country

You Am I posted:

It was Port that gave the other SANFL teams the middle finger. The conditions South Australian clubs were given weren't at all favourable, given the situation at the time, so all 10 SANFL clubs decided that they'd hold off entering into the AFL until they gave them a better deal. You have to understand that the SA clubs had some idea what it would do to the SANFL, and that, at the time, so many of the VFL clubs were near bankrupt - even the big clubs (Richmond almost folded in 1990) - and needed the extra money the other states, and a "national league" could bring in. The national competition benefitted Victorian teams infinitely more than South Australian ones (not to say that every SANFL club was going so hot at the time, however).

The bad blood stems from the fact that Port broke rank and signed up to become an AFL team, effectively turning its back on the rest of South Australia. In response to this, the other clubs scrambled together a composite team, under less than ideal conditions. The Crows ended up getting a far worse entry deal than West Coast, and later Port did. To add to that, instead of it becoming a truly national competition, it basically remained the VFL but with extra clubs. The AFL hall of fame is 90%+ filled by players from the VFL, and we count VFL premierships on the same level as those in the AFL, while discounting SANFL and WAFL achievements. Besides Fitzroy, the AFL has all the Victorian teams - even those who have barely turned a profit in three decades and were objectively weaker clubs until 1991 than some of the stronger SANFL clubs - while once mighty teams like Norwood, Sturt and North Adelaide probably mean very little to any non-South Australian under 25 years old. It's a national competition, sure, but it's still very much the VFL. SA football history is largely ignored at a national level. This might not directly be Port's fault, and may have been inevitable, but by jumping ship, they threw away the solidarity that was our only bargaining chip. The VFL is now king, and the SANFL is barely a shadow of its former self.

This is why Port is hated by so many, and why those of us with a SANFL connection (I have family connections who played SANFL, and extended family who represented the state) find it a little rich when Port start pretending they have any respect for SA football outside of Alberton. That is why I have no problem with the Crows celebrating their heritage by wearing the state of origin guernsey, and why I would never want to see Port in it. Port turned their back on South Australia. The Crows were what happened when South Australia worked together to make the most of that poo poo sandwich.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

The Job Creators posted:

I always thought that Port Power had no pretensions of being the team for all South Australians, they were the team for Port Magpies.

Maybe Kochie made them realise that wasn't a strategy for longterm survival.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Hey thanks for this, sincerely. Really interesting post. As a Victorian in my mid-20s I only barely remember Adelaide's entry into the AFL and had never really looked into any details of how it came about.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The SANFL thought they were the equals of the VFL. But they weren't.

Dandy GO
Sep 27, 2004

flavour country

The Deadly Hume posted:

The SANFL thought they were the equals of the VFL. But they weren't.

They weren't equals, no. SA has never had the population for that. But the SANFL has almost 150 years of history, and was a very competitive and strong league. It's under-represented in the way the AFL presents the history of the game. SA won it's share of state of origin games against Victoria, and North Adelaide beat Carlton in the final of the championship of Australia tournament in the 1970s (though Vic teams won the other 8 of those). The VFL, despite the big troubles of a lot of the clubs, was where the big money was, however, and raided the heck out of the SANFL in the late 70s and 80s. South Australian legends like Platten, Kernahan, Mark Williams, Bradley all went to Victorian clubs before there was a SA side in the AFL. Before all that, though, the leagues were far closer to equal than the official history suggests. Victoria always had easily the strongest league, but, for most of the 20th century, Port and Norwood could have matched it with the better VFL clubs, and Sturt and North Adelaide probably wouldn't have embarrassed themselves.

It's impossible now, and never would have really worked particularly well, but it would be cool to see how an EPL style division system would have worked for Aussie rules.

Dandy GO fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 6, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting stuff. As an international fan, it's sad it worked out the way it did. Seems like Victorian teams have such a huge monopoly on the league. The whole league revolves around Melbourne, and it's apparent right off the bat. That's part of the reason I chose to support an outside the box team like Gold Coast. Hopefully things will equal out a bit as these newer teams establish a history, and some more teams from outside the VFL start getting added in.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Personally as a fan I'd like to see State of Origin return. Vic v SA was always a great game.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

spamman posted:

Personally as a fan I'd like to see State of Origin return. Vic v SA was always a great game.
Agreed, but there's zero chance the clubs would be willing to risk their big stars getting injured in a show match. Can you imagine how much we'd hear about it if Scott Pendlebury got injured playing for Victoria?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Shmoses posted:

Agreed, but there's zero chance the clubs would be willing to risk their big stars getting injured in a show match. Can you imagine how much we'd hear about it if Scott Pendlebury got injured playing for Victoria?

haha this reminds me of something I heard last week.
I was listening to the PTI podcast (good if you like US sports) and on Friday they were talking about how boring the Pro-Bowl was going to be because of the lack of physicality. So anyway, they changed the Pro-Bowl rules and there was a bit of biff from the defence.
First story Monday - THERE WAS TOO MUCH BIFF IN THE PRO-BOWL.

Can't win, don't try.

Dandy GO
Sep 27, 2004

flavour country
It would be pretty one sided right now, anyway. Ablett, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury, Watson, Dangerfield, Cotchin, Kennedy, Selwood, Boak is a crazy midfield. WA have some good youngsters coming through, but they're not ready to match that. SA is out of the picture for the next 5+ years.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I can also remember the big stink that happened when the Fitzroy-Footscray merger was being put through though, so pe. Obviously Fitzroy had all but disappeared (if you don't count the Reds in the VAFA), but what people forget was that it was Fitzroy's idea to take over Footscray, of course added and abetted by the VFL.

Any idea of a national comp being started from scratch rather than just expanding the VFL, the big Victorian teams would've muscled their way in anyway, and your Footscrays and Norths would've disappeared - likely even Hawthorn, because even they weren't flush with cash until after that merger failed, and everyone who got on the bandwagon realised they might lose the club.

The AFL are taking a huge punt with GWS, but from a business point of view it makes sense. The league is likely to be set for a while, unless a Victorian club (or maybe GWS) falls into a black hole and agrees to be relocated or gets merged, at which point Tasmania will probably get a look in with a standalone side.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The fact that the SANFL have outright admitted they backed down because people got pissy about it and caused a media stink is the most disgraceful part of all of this. I don't really care about the guernsey, but having the SANFL state that they're "delighted" one day, only to have them do a backflip the next day because of some negative press, is so loving bushwater it beggars belief.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

I reckon they should bring it out for the showdowns and whichever team won the last showdown should get to wear it the next time to rub it into the opposition that they are the best South Australian side.

I think The Crows should have a mainly red third jumper for Showdowns. It makes sense in that Port uses the State Jumper design. So why not have The Crows use the State colours.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Dandy GO posted:

It would be pretty one sided right now, anyway. Ablett, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury, Watson, Dangerfield, Cotchin, Kennedy, Selwood, Boak is a crazy midfield.

At the same time, jesus that would be amazing to watch. Even if they absolutely slaughtered another side, I'd imagine the way they went about it would be as much a spectacle as anything. Although, yeah, not going to happen.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

thepokey posted:

At the same time, jesus that would be amazing to watch. Even if they absolutely slaughtered another side, I'd imagine the way they went about it would be as much a spectacle as anything. Although, yeah, not going to happen.

I have no real interest in State of Origin but that said, watching the skill level of some of the teams would be amazing.

Its actually a shame there's no equivalent league anywhere else in the world as watching the All Australian team battle for a world cup would be sublime.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have nothing to add but thanks for the interesting posts about sanfl history. This is a good page.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Dandy GO posted:

Great post

Thanks for this, I was trying to discuss this with people at work yesterday and they were trying to say that Port were the ones who were screwed over :rolleyes:

cmndstab posted:

The fact that the SANFL have outright admitted they backed down because people got pissy about it and caused a media stink is the most disgraceful part of all of this. I don't really care about the guernsey, but having the SANFL state that they're "delighted" one day, only to have them do a backflip the next day because of some negative press, is so loving bushwater it beggars belief.

Yep, this is an utter joke. Unfortunately we're an one paper town so when the back page is crowing about it and calling it all sorts of unsavoury things you're going to get a backlash.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-07/crows-disappointed-as-controversial-guernsey-ditched/5244530?section=sport

Dandy GO
Sep 27, 2004

flavour country

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Thanks for this, I was trying to discuss this with people at work yesterday and they were trying to say that Port were the ones who were screwed over :rolleyes:

Yeah, I mean in a way I can understand Port looking after themselves, as they may have seen the writing on the wall (like I said, it was probably inevitable that things turned out the way they did, and the SANFL had registered the Adelaide Football Club name several years earlier, when West Coast joined the VFL) but when every club in the league had made a decision to hold off until 1993 for a better deal, and it takes Port like one month to turn their back on that (under significant pressure from the VFL, admittedly), they've really only got themselves to blame for how the rest of the SANFL reacted to that.

The VFL was pretty drat cutthroat about it, however. Take a look at some of the "drafts" in the 80s. The zone recruiting system was still happening, so Victorian players automatically went the club they were zoned to, but SA and Tasmania were "fair game", so there are whole drafts made up almost entirely from Tasmanian and SA recruits - many of whom had no interest in even being drafted interstate, and never went to the clubs they were assigned to. Still, it meant a greatly reduced SANFL talent pool by the time the Crows entered the competition, and they got NO help securing players who had previously moved to Victoria. Some, like Tony McGuinness, came back to SA, but most of the real big names had already been signed up on big money contracts. At least West Coast got first dibs on talent from their state for a good five years (though, in reality, that was probably TOO much - that late 80s/early 90s West Coast team was awesome.)

Dandy GO fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 7, 2014

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

That's all really interesting, i only ever hear the biased Port side from all my long-time supporter friends (wah wah, they just hate us because we were so good in the SANFL for 100 years) thanks Dandy GO! Don't get me wrong I love supporting Port, but politics has no place in my sport!

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
One of my best mates was a huge Crows fan so I know a fair bit of that history but not quite to that depth, so thanks Dandy GO. I really liked that mid 90s Adelaide side, they had some great ayers. Darren Jarman has always been one of my favourites. I love the stories about him just canning on in the summer, coming back super fat and then spending the whole pre season getting to a reasonable condition.

Dandy GO
Sep 27, 2004

flavour country

Cloud the Cat posted:

That's all really interesting, i only ever hear the biased Port side from all my long-time supporter friends (wah wah, they just hate us because we were so good in the SANFL for 100 years) thanks Dandy GO! Don't get me wrong I love supporting Port, but politics has no place in my sport!

Yeah, it's all ancient history now, anyway. I should probably say that even though I don't agree with how Port went about it, the SANFL, like the SACA, has always been run by dickheads with very little vision for the future. Things could have ended up worse had we all waited until 1993 to do anything, anyway. Who knows! And, to be fair, Port were always the biggest, most successful club in the state. It's appropriate that they eventually got a place in the national league, and I do prefer to see them win than Victorian clubs. It's just a shame the state wasn't able to work together to get a better deal, but it clearly was a pretty crazy time in footy history.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Well it was essentially adapt or die time, and aussie rules was lucky to come out of it as well as it did. If the code had endured the sort of ridiculous turmoil that league put up with in the mid 90s the AFL would likely be sitting in the second tier position on the footy supremacy ladder. For all the complaints about the CEOs over the years I actually think the three of them have done a pretty good job, broadly speaking, and Vlad will probably wind up being vindicated as GCS and the Giants end up making real inroads in the decades to come.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Juddy out for a few weeks :negative:

quote:

A troublesome Achilles will see Carlton’s Chris Judd miss the start of season 2014.

Judd has been troubled by pain in his Achilles for the past fortnight, and scans have revealed he is suffering a form of Achilles tendinitis. He will undergo surgery next week to relieve the symptoms.

Carlton’s GM – Football Operations Andrew McKay says Judd will be fully fit to resume playing by Round 3.

“Chris has been training well so far this pre-season, but he has been pulling up sore over the past week or so,” McKay said.

“We feel the best course of action is to address the issue now, to ensure Chris can have maximum impact on the field when he returns.”

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
i think he's at the age where the blues will only need him as a finals specialist for the next couple of years

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

AFL Prospectus now available on tablets! Weeee stats overload

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.champion.prospectus
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/afl-prospectus-2014/id605160658?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:
Stats take the fun out of the game unless you're an avid better

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I don't bet and I love the poo poo out of stats.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Do we know if the nab challenge games are going to be on radio at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

Do we know if the nab challenge games are going to be on radio at all?

SEN have been advertising the poo poo out of it so probably!

• Locked thread