Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Sarchasm posted:

Conversely, I loved the show in its fledgling seasons when I could trust that Scully and Mulder were off on some new adventure every week to expose and debunk some interesting urban myth or piece of American folklore. Then the show crawled up its own rear end with that black ooze bullshit and Mulder's sister and Scully's pregnancy and it became an unwatchable grudgefuck.

Seriously, I have no idea how anyone can like the mytharc better than the standalone episodes. I will that the overarching plot of Season 1 is pretty incredible, though, and The Erlenmeyer Flask is probably my favorite plot episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I really couldn't say if I prefer mytharc or monster of the week. But a lot of the mytharc episodes are great. I loved it when Mulder was in the boxcar full of (what look like) alien corpses, and the alien bounty hunter was cool as hell. Remember when he left Mulder for dead in the arctic? I found the black cancer appropriately creepy. Krycheck was always entertaining as well. And of course the Smoking Man.

The super soldier stuff in the last couple of seasons was absolutely terrible though.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
There are a ton of absolutely great stand alone episodes of the X-Files and a handful of good to great mythology ones.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Confession: I only started watching The X-files on Netflix so that I could see what happened with the mytharc in the last few seasons since I stopped watching when I was younger. With only half of the last season left, I guess I have some regrets.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Confession: I only started watching The X-files on Netflix so that I could see what happened with the mytharc in the last few seasons since I stopped watching when I was younger. With only half of the last season left, I guess I have some regrets.

As someone who re-watched the entire series fairly recently my advice to you is to skip to the end and just watch the last episode.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

marktheando posted:

I really couldn't say if I prefer mytharc or monster of the week. But a lot of the mytharc episodes are great. I loved it when Mulder was in the boxcar full of (what look like) alien corpses, and the alien bounty hunter was cool as hell. Remember when he left Mulder for dead in the arctic? I found the black cancer appropriately creepy. Krycheck was always entertaining as well. And of course the Smoking Man.

The super soldier stuff in the last couple of seasons was absolutely terrible though.

The mytharc had a lot of cool moments, but it never came together cohesively because the writers were making it up as they went along. And for god's sake really? The last episode was one of the worst of the series.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I don't think I have seen anything from the final 2-3 seasons. I think the last episode I watched Mulder was in an asylum or something?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

The mytharc had a lot of cool moments, but it never came together cohesively because the writers were making it up as they went along. And for god's sake really? The last episode was one of the worst of the series.

The last episode was pretty bad, but I assumed Wiggles would be curious about how it ends. Better to skip to the end than to watch the whole last half of the last season. I'd almost recommend stopping mid-way through season six when they resolve the original conspiracy but there are still some good episodes after that point.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Yeah. I started from the beginning over a year ago and have been making my way through. Honestly, I was surprised by how much I liked the beginning of season 8. It was great to see the different chemistry between Scully and Doggett with Mulder (briefly) out of the picture. Of course I got bored again about halfway through that season too. I think I am still going to watch all of the episodes. Seems wrong to stop so close to the finish line (and then teleport to the finish line).

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I've never seen one episode of the X Files. Is it worth watching if you've never seen it before?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I've never seen one episode of the X Files. Is it worth watching if you've never seen it before?

Watch Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and if you don't like it, skip the show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

Watch Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and if you don't like it, skip the show.

Alternatively watch Home.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Home is some seriously hosed up poo poo, amazing that made it on TV.

I loved xfiles, that was a drat good show. I kind of lost interest when they brought in Doggett, though.

It's funny because at the time you think the conspiracy arc is what's good but looking back I remember the MOTW shows a lot more. The conspiracy stuff didn't really go anywhere, ever.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Home is one of my favorite episodes of the series, but there's a real argument to be made that Drive (starring Bryan Cranston) is the hands-down best. It's season six, episode two if you're curious. Been a while since I've seen it, but I don't think you need any backstory to enjoy it.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
I remember reading a thread about the X-Files in TVIV awhile ago, and someone posted a list of the best MOTW/Stand-alone episodes. Anyone have any suggestions for such a list? I'd seen a couple episodes of the show as a kid (including Home, which was actually the first episode I never saw) but I'd love to enjoy the highlights of the series on Netflix now if I can. I don't really have the time or energy to follow the show's overarching conspiracy plot.

Also, on a non-Netflix related note, was the second movie (I Believe) any good? I've heard mixed things about it, but the people I know who like it like it a LOT. Not sure if it's something you'd need to be familiar with the "mytharc" for.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just watched Fargo and The Usual Suspects for the first time. They were ok. Didn't live up to what I expected from the hype about them. Although it would have been better if I didn't know the end of TUS already.

Any other "classic" movies on Netflix I might be missing out on? Not like Citizen Kane classic you know what I mean.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 7, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

drunken officeparty posted:

Just watched Fargo and The Usual Suspects for the first time. They were ok. Didn't live up to what I expected from the hype about them. Although it would have been better if I didn't know the end of TUS already.

Any other "classic" movies on Netflix I might be missing out on? Not like Citizen Kane classic you know what I mean.

I never saw them until long after they came out, but early Quentin Tarantino flicks like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown are fantastic and all on streaming: http://www.netflix.com/WiRoleDisplay?personid=20001496

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I was super impressed with Jackie brown when I watched it a few months back. Though I disagree I can definitely see why people call it the secret best tarantino movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skywalker OG posted:

Man of Tai Chi was pretty decent for being a martial arts tournament movie.

You got a problem with the original Karate Kid?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

prussian advisor posted:

I remember reading a thread about the X-Files in TVIV awhile ago, and someone posted a list of the best MOTW/Stand-alone episodes. Anyone have any suggestions for such a list? I'd seen a couple episodes of the show as a kid (including Home, which was actually the first episode I never saw) but I'd love to enjoy the highlights of the series on Netflix now if I can. I don't really have the time or energy to follow the show's overarching conspiracy plot.

Also, on a non-Netflix related note, was the second movie (I Believe) any good? I've heard mixed things about it, but the people I know who like it like it a LOT. Not sure if it's something you'd need to be familiar with the "mytharc" for.

The big complaint I hear about the second movie is that, even by X-Files standards, the main threat is really loving stupid.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I was watching X-files but got hooked by Supernatural instead.

Started back into Supernatural after getting bored in Season 2. Everything ramps up in Season 3 and it's really really good. When they do have filler episodes they have at least a tiny scene of some character development. I also love that they don't take themselves that seriously and make fun of the show like the comic episode etc. Sometimes I wish the season weren't 20+ episodes though. It's a huge commitment.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Have we ever discussed how delightfully ridiculous the plot synopses are on Netflix sometimes?

Only God Forgives posted:

A criminal-minded mother and son respond to a lethal blow the only way they know how. Bangkok: Get ready to explode.

The Apartment posted:

Slick career move: Give the cheating boss keys to your love shack. Tip: Don't fall for his mistress.

The Road posted:

A dad and son brave hunger and depraved survivors in a post-atomic wasteland. This road trip's pretty dicey.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Criminal Minded posted:

Have we ever discussed how delightfully ridiculous the plot synopses are on Netflix sometimes?

I love them. I love seeing just how generic they can make a movie sound to appeal to the most people. The Only God Forgives one is just masterful.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Someone in the X-files thread posted about Chris Carter's new series on Amazon Prime... The After. Only the pilot is available and it takes a while to get going but it looks like it could get interesting.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 7, 2014

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Criminal Minded posted:

Neo bangkok is about to E X P L O D E

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

prussian advisor posted:

I more or less liked it. It's a monster of the week type movie, which is great. Unfortunately, it's a Scully/religion centered MOTW, which were the worst of the bunch. There are definitely some things to like about it, but Xzibit is almost offensively bad in it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I noticed that Bates Motel just got added and I remember hearing some good initial buzz, but then it kinda dropped off my radar. Is it worth watching or does it just kinda peter out into being lovely?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I'm surprised that you didn't like Fargo. It is wonderfully acted, very dark and funny, classic Coen Brothers.

The Usual Suspects on the other hand, the entire film relies on the twist ending, and is a pretty weak film overall.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Niggurath posted:

So I noticed that Bates Motel just got added and I remember hearing some good initial buzz, but then it kinda dropped off my radar. Is it worth watching or does it just kinda peter out into being lovely?

Admittedly I missed a few episodes when it aired, but I thought it maintained the same quality throughout the first season. Watching the first few episodes should be enough to determine if you'll like it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Airplane! has been up for a week. Why has no one mentioned this? Surely you must be joking.

And MASH. I've never seen it, but it's a huge Altman classic.

I've also never seen Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 or Harold and Maude, but they're also two classics of their genre I haven't seen mentioned in here.

I liked Fargo a lot when I first saw it, but the second time I watched it solidified my love for it. It's fantastic on every level. Every time I watch it, I appreciate it more. And Carter Burwell's score is the icing on the cake. Also:

IMDB posted:

William H. Macy begged the directors for the role of Jerry Lundegaard. He did two readings for the part, and became convinced he was the best man for the role. When the Coens didn't get back to him, he flew to New York (where they were starting production) and said, "I'm very, very worried that you are going to screw up this movie by giving this role to somebody else. It's my role, and I'll shoot your dogs if you don't give it to me." He was joking, of course.

Except the Coen Bros. have stated that they didn't think he was joking at the time, and were nervous to meet with him again. So they gave him the role.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I watched Breaking Away for the billionth time last night and it's still as charming and hilarious as ever to me. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it if only for the 1979 versions of Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern, and Jackie Earle Haley. Paul Dooley as "Dad" steals every scene he's in, though. The quarry scenes were filmed about 30 miles from where I grew up and I used to dive and swim in the same location used in the film so those bits are even more fun for me. Go Cutters!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

I watched Breaking Away for the billionth time last night and it's still as charming and hilarious as ever to me. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it if only for the 1979 versions of Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern, and Jackie Earle Haley. Paul Dooley as "Dad" steals every scene he's in, though. The quarry scenes were filmed about 30 miles from where I grew up and I used to dive and swim in the same location used in the film so those bits are even more fun for me. Go Cutters!

The "punch the clock" scene makes me laugh out loud even thinking about it.

Edit: re Fargo - I'm trying to remember if William Macy was the character actor institution that he is now when Fargo was made, or whether that role made his career.

I will say that for me, Fargo, along with Big Lebowski, are among the few movies that actually live up the the assertion that "this movie grows on you the more times you watch it".

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 7, 2014

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Airplane! has been up for a week. Why has no one mentioned this? Surely you must be joking.

Don't call me Shirley.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Zwabu posted:

Edit: re Fargo - I'm trying to remember if William Macy was the character actor institution that he is now when Fargo was made, or whether that role made his career.

He had been in a few things, but I'm pretty sure Fargo was his breakout role. Looking over IMDB, he had small roles in Searching for Bobby Fischer, The Client, and Mr. Holland's Opus before that. The only one I really remember him in is Mr. Holland's Opus, but I think that may be a retroactive, "Hey, that's William H. Macy!" sort of thing upon repeated viewings.

For content, I've been watching a lot of Kung Fu flicks recently. The only one I'd unequivocally recommend is Dragon. I really enjoyed the story, the main character is Donnie Yen, and both of his primary antagonists are awesome characters, especially Xu Baijiu.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd avoid True Legend. It's got great production values, star power, and the fights are decent, but the story meanders unpleasantly and the last 45 minutes feel really hamfisted.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

For content, I've been watching a lot of Kung Fu flicks recently. The only one I'd unequivocally recommend is Dragon. I really enjoyed the story, the main character is Donnie Yen, and both of his primary antagonists are awesome characters, especially Xu Baijiu.

I watched Man of Tai Chi last night. The first 2/3rds of it had the potential to be a decent mortal combat/ip man fusion, but then they really went off track with it. Didn't know how to end it either, they only knew they really wanted Keanu Reeves to fight.

The fight scenes were well choreographed and everything though. Overall I'd give the first 2/3rds a 6.5 out of 10 and the last part a 2.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Franchescanado posted:

And MASH. I've never seen it, but it's a huge Altman classic.

I've also never seen Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 or Harold and Maude, but they're also two classics of their genre I haven't seen mentioned in here.

I liked Fargo a lot when I first saw it, but the second time I watched it solidified my love for it. It's fantastic on every level. Every time I watch it, I appreciate it more. And Carter Burwell's score is the icing on the cake. Also:

Except the Coen Bros. have stated that they didn't think he was joking at the time, and were nervous to meet with him again. So they gave him the role.

William H. Macy is one of my favorite actors and is great in that movie. That said, I can't imagine ever finding him intimidating, and that tells me a lot about the Coen's.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
Pain & Gain is up on Netflix Canada, just in time for the weekend/cold rear end weather.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

crispyseaweed posted:

Pain & Gain is up on Netflix Canada, just in time for the weekend/cold rear end weather.

Everyone watch this movie. Holy poo poo it was incredible. Michael Bay is so extremely nihilistic and hateful in his portrayals of everyone involved.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pain & Gain is the only good movie Michael Bay has directed in the last decade aside from The Island, and boy is it good. It reminds you that he can actually be a really adept filmmaker when he tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Someone clearly hasn't seen Bad Boys 2 or The Island.

• Locked thread