Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
We also got the official synopsis' of the next two episodes:

"Red Throne," Monday, Feb. 10 at 7 p.m.

When Flame King breaks out of his prison and takes over the Flame Kingdom again, Flame Princess turns to the one person she believes she can trust... Finn! But will Finn be able to put his feelings for Flame Princess aside long enough to help her reclaim her throne?

Exactly as I feared. C'mon Finn, don't be a jerk anymore!

"Betty," Monday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m.

In Wizard City, a magic spell backfires and turns Ice King back into Simon. Now with Finn, Jake and Marceline's help, Simon finds a way to bring his beloved Betty back. Finally reunited with the love of his life, everything is great! There’s just one catch... without his magic crown, Simon will die.

Well.... holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007
Gear up for a seriously angst-filled thread, everyone.

If not full-blown angst, then at the very least, lots of reflective ennui.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A Steampunk Gent posted:

'But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. Finn had won the victory over himself. He loved PB.'

Where's a good image of Finn hugging post-readultification PB to caption when you need it

MojoKingBee posted:

In Wizard City, a magic spell backfires and turns Ice King back into Simon. Now with Finn, Jake and Marceline's help, Simon finds a way to bring his beloved Betty back. Finally reunited with the love of his life, everything is great! There’s just one catch... without his magic crown, Simon will die.

Well.... holy poo poo

Time to get myself nice and cynical in advance so this episode makes slightly less of a bawling baby out of me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
And there's four more episodes after that.

Buckle up, everyone.

BEEAARR!!
Nov 9, 2004

Someone got hit
in the boingloins!

Hit in the boingloins!
Boingloins! Boingloins!
Someone got hit in them!
Jesus Christ...okay...I have a month to prepare for this but I know even that's not enough. Grab the tissues..

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
With the Red Throne thing, this could be really good or the final nail in the coffin for Finn. He could be mature, overcome his feelings, and help FP regain her throne. Or, he could be an enormous douchebag and gently caress up their relationship permanently by trying to make a move on her, and the fandom will probably never forgive him (I probably wouldn't either). GOD I hope its the former...

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 5, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MojoKingBee posted:

With the Red Throne thing, this could be really good or the final nail in the coffin for Finn. He could be mature, overcome his feelings, and help FP regain her throne. Or, he could be an enormous douchebag and gently caress up their relationship permanently by trying to make a move on her, and the fandom will probably never forgive him (I probably wouldn't either). GOD I hope its the former...

Too Old, take two. :getin:

(God I hope that doesn't happen. FP doesn't deserve that.)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BEEAARR!! posted:

Jesus Christ...okay...I have a month to prepare for this but I know even that's not enough. Grab the tissues..

Oh, we'll surely need some tissues.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Steve Yun posted:

And there's four more episodes after that.

Buckle up, everyone.

I hope one of them has Marcy stealing back that shirt for PB. I'm know I'm going to need it if next episodes go how people are expecting.

I am predicting that Betty ends with her being brought back (with magic that makes her semi-immortal) and Simon going back to being the Ice King for now, which I can live with.

Fake edit:

MojoKingBee posted:

Why not both? Finn successfully puts FP back on the throne after she finally drills the fact she doesn't want to go out with him into his thick skull. I'd actually think that would make for the best episode.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

MojoKingBee posted:

Well.... holy poo poo

Well, that's going to be a hell of a birthday present. :ohdear:

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
If Finn's arc is progressing the way it looks like, he SHOULD have learned enough to not screw things up too bad. Assuming they don't decide to just ignore that whole arc and make him a jerk again... That would make me angry. Very angry indeed.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 5, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MojoKingBee posted:

We also got the official synopsis' of the next two episodes:

Well.... holy poo poo

CALLED IT. Simon may get a moment of happiness, but Ice King's never leaving! (And I wouldn't have it any other way... GIVE ME YOUR HATRED THREAD.)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some more videos from Sushiprincessss, who did the AMV Nightosphere.

Marceline and the Diamonds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDsCflz60ww

Zest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpnz3aQJ6B8

Princess Bubblegum Bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F9wAmO-fu4

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
IK Spoilers Discussion: so call me literally insane, but wouldn't it be nice if they just let Simon have his peace? AT has a reputation for bucking trends and messing with the status quo already. Ice King is a lovable goof, sure, but Simon is the only reason we even have Marceline. In an alternate timeline he sacrifices himself to save the world. Adventure Time has been great about lobbing the occasional hand grenade of sincerity at us, especially over the Ice King, and if anyone in the land of Ooo deserves some peace at last it's him.

Further, if they are setting up a big wizard battle for everyone, writing Simon out of the show gives them away to not just fall back on the Ice Crown as the Weapon of Magical Destruction it always seems to be. I don't think for a minute a lesser show could kill off such a great character, but I trust these guys to do what's right/best for the show.

Does anyone else think those cute little cartoons of Penn Ward that she drew look just like Simon? Specifically the round headbeard?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Regarding all the posts about status quo and whatnot. Even though AT is somewhat bolder than other shows when it comes to breaking from the original formula, I still doubt that the network will allow to do something too drastic with the characters. If anything, the show have more chances of re-establishing some abandoned plot elements at this point. What I'm trying to say, basically, is FINN+PB=OTP.

Fake edit: Ha-ha, no.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Does anyone else think those cute little cartoons of Penn Ward that she drew look just like Simon? Specifically the round headbeard?

IIRC, Ice King was originally based on Ward himself, in a joking, self-deprecating way, so it's no surprise the human Simon looks a lot like him.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MojoKingBee posted:

Well.... holy poo poo
I'm ready.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can only imagine that Simon will become the Ice King again, but saving Betty will be the good thing that comes out of the experience. Maybe she'll stick around to look after him in his Ice King form? Maybe he'll stop being so princess-crazy if he's no longer feeling half-remembered guilt about losing her? Even if he remains the Ice King, there'll probably be some kind of permanent change.

Also, I have to say that I hope for Finn and Flame Princess's relationship to still have a chance. So many of his setbacks and challenges have come from awkward adolescent romantic feelings that it doesn't seem like he can be shown to grow and overcome these failings without a successful romantic relationship to contrast against his previous failures. If all he learns is to sever, get over his feelings and become aromantic he won't really have grown, he'll have just buried his problems. And again, he's already got an unrequited attachment to Princess Bubblegum, he really doesn't need another one long term.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Dolash posted:

Also, I have to say that I hope for Finn and Flame Princess's relationship to still have a chance. So many of his setbacks and challenges have come from awkward adolescent romantic feelings that it doesn't seem like he can be shown to grow and overcome these failings without a successful romantic relationship to contrast against his previous failures. If all he learns is to sever, get over his feelings and become aromantic he won't really have grown, he'll have just buried his problems. And again, he's already got an unrequited attachment to Princess Bubblegum, he really doesn't need another one long term.

I hope too, but I think it's far too soon for Finn to try it in The Red Throne. Plus, the synopsis implies that his feelings might get in the way of her mission to reclaim her throne. I swear, if Finn does that to FP because he can't control his dick or whatever, I simply don't know how any of us are supposed to ever forgive him. Flame Princess doesn't deserve that, and Finn doesn't deserve to be written like that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MojoKingBee posted:

Finn doesn't deserve to be written like that.

It remains to be seen what direction they'll actually go with the episode, so all our speculation might be for naught, butttt...

This show has not been afraid in the past to use Finn as the poster boy for hurtful, immature and selfish ways of thinking, and the show has not been afraid to criticize these ways of thinking. It's sometimes important to put flaws in your hero and then bash them, especially in children's shows, so that impressionable young viewers who identify with the hero will do some self-reflection. When all the "real" flaws are in other characters, it tends to promote the mindset that only other people have something wrong with them.

One of my favorite observations about writing happened in Star Trek. Roddenberry always envisioned the humans of the future as being a paragon of intelligence and wisdom. He avoided scenarios where crew members would argue with each other, because humans of the future would be reasonable and enlightened. As much as possible, he wanted the crew to win by being smarter, and as much as possible for the crew to be right about moral dilemmas they would encounter. It's not happenstance that the enlightened Kirk would be lecturing other space beings about racism and equality. Star Trek: The Motion Picture was about mankind encountering an all-powerful God-like being and discovering oh hey it's just some Scooby Doo villain, it turned out to be no big deal, and we resolved it with our awesome intellects.

Star Trek underperformed at the box office, and so the reins were given to Meyer and Bennet, and Star Trek II gave us a Kirk that was feeling old, full of doubt and most importantly, wrong about matters of life and death. Kirk no longer had all the answers, and being wrong made him a more interesting character, one who changed over the course of a story for the better.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 5, 2014

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Steve Yun posted:

It remains to be seen what direction they'll actually go with the episode, so all our speculation might be for naught, butttt...

This show has not been afraid in the past to use Finn as the poster boy for hurtful, immature and selfish ways of thinking, and the show has not been afraid to criticize these ways of thinking. It's sometimes important to put flaws in your hero and then bash them, especially in children's shows, so that impressionable young viewers who identify with the hero will do some self-reflection. When all the "real" flaws are in other characters, it tends to promote the mindset that only other people have something wrong with them.

One of my favorite observations about writing happened in Star Trek. Roddenberry always envisioned the humans of the future as being a paragon of intelligence and wisdom. He avoided scenarios where crew members would argue with each other, because humans of the future would be reasonable and enlightened. As much as possible, he wanted the crew to win by being smarter, and as much as possible for the crew to be right about moral dilemmas they would encounter. It's not happenstance that the enlightened Kirk would be lecturing other space beings about racism and equality. Star Trek: The Motion Picture was about mankind encountering an all-powerful God-like being and discovering oh hey it's just some Scooby Doo villain, it turned out to be no big deal, and we resolved it with our awesome intellects.

Star Trek underperformed at the box office, and so the reins were given to Meyer and Bennet, and Star Trek II gave us a Kirk that was feeling old, full of doubt and most importantly, wrong about matters of life and death. Kirk no longer had all the answers, and being wrong made him a more interesting character, one who changed over the course of a story for the better.

Yeah, I know he's gotta have flaws, and he very clearly does. But the thing is, his entire arc since Frost & Fire has been him realizing that he hosed up, trying not to gently caress up anymore, and getting away from romance. So him letting his feelings get in the way of helping his friend Flame Princess, especially when she TRUSTS HIM seems like it would be tremendously out of character at this point. Not to mention, I'd be angry at the writers for continuing to torment FP like that.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you even mentally prepared for the Cheers theme playing over a permanently melted ice kingdom?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

MojoKingBee posted:

Yeah, I know he's gotta have flaws, and he very clearly does. But the thing is, his entire arc since Frost & Fire has been him realizing that he hosed up, trying not to gently caress up anymore, and getting away from romance. So him letting his feelings get in the way of helping his friend Flame Princess, especially when she TRUSTS HIM seems like it would be tremendously out of character at this point. Not to mention, I'd be angry at the writers for continuing to torment FP like that.
I dunno, the way I read his arc, he's still in the middle of learning.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Haha like hell you are

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, the way I read his arc, he's still in the middle of learning.

Seems more like the end of the arc to me. In fact, it seems like Red Throne itself may be the end, for better or worse. Hopefully better. It starts with FP, and ends with FP.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'd assume they'd at least hold the end of the arc off for the season finale, and even then it seems a little early just because so many of Finn's long-boiling issues have come to a head this season.

More to the point, MojoKingBee, I don't know about statements like "how can we ever forgive him?". He's a teenager. Teenagers do dumb stuff in order to learn. Not just a little bit of dumb stuff, either. You can rest assured that because this is a narrative, they'll probably leave the door open for Finn to repair any damage he does some day, but he's got plenty of room to keep falling if that's what he needs. Heck, look at Rattleballs, it's pretty clear he hasn't had a rock-bottom epiphany yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dolash posted:

I'd assume they'd at least hold the end of the arc off for the season finale, and even then it seems a little early just because so many of Finn's long-boiling issues have come to a head this season.

More to the point, MojoKingBee, I don't know about statements like "how can we ever forgive him?". He's a teenager. Teenagers do dumb stuff in order to learn. Not just a little bit of dumb stuff, either. You can rest assured that because this is a narrative, they'll probably leave the door open for Finn to repair any damage he does some day, but he's got plenty of room to keep falling if that's what he needs. Heck, look at Rattleballs, it's pretty clear he hasn't had a rock-bottom epiphany yet.

I'm not sure if rock bottom would really impact Rattleballs, the dude is robo-killer Eeyore.

As for Flame Princess, it basically all comes down to "does the season finale have anything to do with her"? We can't really say yet so our weather report for Red Throne is who the gently caress knows, abandon all hope ye who enter here

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
I've said before that Finn has been being a dick since Frost and Fire, but looking back, I think I was wrong. He's made a few bad decisions since then, but they all worked out in the end once he realized they were bad decisions. Dungeon Train comes to mind in particular.

I'm just really worried that The Red Throne will turn out disastrous for everyone involved, and preemptively taking out my frustration on Finn.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 6, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
All I know is that I'm gonna cry then read this thread and understand why I must cry harder.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
Here's the title card for The Red Throne:

Interesting, it looks like the focus might be on Flame King, rather than FP and Finn. Also, apparently that other guy appeared in Wizard Battle.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 6, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Now does he have goat eyes, or >| eyes?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

IK Spoilers Discussion: so call me literally insane, but wouldn't it be nice if they just let Simon have his peace?

No it would not be because it would deprive us of more Ice King moments. Basically what I'm saying is ICE KING PLEASE don't LEAVE

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The title card might not mean anything. The one for Apple Wedding focused on Tree Trunks' ex and he was a tiny part of the episode.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

MojoKingBee posted:

Interesting, it looks like the focus might be on Flame King, rather than FP and Finn. Also, apparently that other guy appeared in Wizard Battle.

http://adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/Flame_Lord

He's the guy Ice King knocks out with nunchuks

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Hey, do we know if there's a hiatus between season 5 and 6?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Adventure Time Creator Has Four Game Ideas For Double Fine

http://kotaku.com/adventure-time-creator-has-four-game-ideas-for-double-f-1517627669

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It is exciting to see Pendleton's possible involvement with Double Fine. But from his pitches, I'd rather see him working on story or art direction rather than on gameplay, because I don't feel like he understands how games work very well. Theoretically, you can make a game out of any concept and some of his concepts are sweet, but in my opinion it all came off more like a 12 years old's fantasies than actual pitches. And it's cool in its own way, that's why AT is so :krad:, it's just I don't think this approach will work for games. But then again, what do I know? I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah, somehow I don't see Doublefine putting out a zombie mmo. Which is too bad, because I thought that was his best idea.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought that was his worst one, I'd much rather play Damnit Jerry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

I found "Make AI-babies. Give 'em guns/hats." an incredibly funny pitch.

I dunno. An action/adventure zombie game with Pen's character design would be awesome.

Mr. Mojangles fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 7, 2014

• Locked thread