Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Baseball, football, Of Thrones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Good episode imo.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Mexcillent posted:

Good episode imo.

Which one in Moneypenny again?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
So is Winston a cop now?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Nice Noises Off ref.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
No 'Noises Off" bologna!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I do enjoy Berkley. So, so misinformed.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Confirm my capisce!! :arghfist:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me! I've led a very fortunate life!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sash! posted:

I definitely don't like Prince, but I feel compelled to defend Prince. He transcends man and is an existence, a force of nature. Like a hurricane. But not violent like a hurricane. More sensual.

You're a star, and he's the Big Dipper.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I love how you could see Greenburg losing it when Wayans said vadonkey.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Pretty much. Hell, I grew up in the 90s and the only Prince song I know is Purple Rain and the only Prince song I like is

This is the worst thing you've ever said.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'd understand Jess getting excited over Nirvana or the Smashing Pumpkins because kids her age actually listened to those bands. Price is more of a gen x/baby boomer thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

She's been shown to have a deep musical bench. You don't just like music you heard when you were a teenager. Go to your local bar and put Prince in the jukebox, see how many girls get up and dance.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't believe we are having talks about whether some one would be excited to meet Prince or not. It would be like meeting Bette Midler. Even if you're not a fan it would be pretty awesome to meet them...not to mention play ping pong with them!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

I'd understand Jess getting excited over Nirvana or the Smashing Pumpkins because kids her age actually listened to those bands. Price is more of a gen x/baby boomer thing.

I was born in 1983 and I love me some Prince.

Listen to music made before you were a teenager. Why would you limit the music you listen to like that? Would it have been weird if she was excited to meet Paul McCartney?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Plus Prince isn't just a musician or a celebrity. He's a fuckin' experience.

EDIT: VVV Wow, it's like you're trying to be wrong. VVV

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 7, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thrawn527 posted:

Listen to music made before you were a teenager. Why would you limit the music you listen to like that? Would it have been weird if she was excited to meet Paul McCartney?

Yeah. Personally, I'd rather talk to someone making music now than someone who made music fifty years ago. McCartney has been around so long that everything he has to say about his life, his music and his philosophy is available 24 hours a day on Youtube. I'd be much more interested in talking to an Adele or a Ke$ha and learning what they think about the music they're creating now and the music they will create in the future. Prince is a relic. He's kitsch. There's no value in hanging out with him besides the story, and the story doesn't interest me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gross.

EDIT: I'm not sure I can take your opinions at face value anymore Irish Joe.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Irish Joe posted:

I'd rather talk to someone making music now than someone who made music fifty years ago.

Yeah, it's not like Prince has released 5 studio albums in the last decade. Why should we take his advice?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Irish Joe posted:

Prince is more of a gen x/baby boomer thing.

GenX, yes. Baby boomer, definitely not. I'd say peak Prince popularity was 1983 - 1992, when most GenXers were early-to-mid teens and most boomers were in their 30's or 40's. But that still only matters so much, because he's been releasing music steadily ever since.

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah. Personally, I'd rather talk to someone making music now than someone who made music fifty years ago. McCartney has been around so long that everything he has to say about his life, his music and his philosophy is available 24 hours a day on Youtube. I'd be much more interested in talking to an Adele or a Ke$ha and learning what they think about the music they're creating now and the music they will create in the future. Prince is a relic. He's kitsch. There's no value in hanging out with him besides the story, and the story doesn't interest me.

I realize this is unpopular, but I kind of agree. Specifically the way we fetishize 60's-era pop consumed by baby boomers. I mean, yes, I get it: the Beatles were great. Bob Dylan was great. Let's stop celebrating the youth culture of people now in their 60's and focus on the intervening several decades of pop culture that has happened since. Not that I want to draw a quality comparison between the Beatles and someone like Kesha, but we have certainly depleted every resource from the 60's mine by now.

Though, I don't think Prince is remotely a historical relic in the way a McCartney is. Firstly, as has been said, Prince is actually still prolific and innovative today even if he isn't a new artist. And secondly, I don't think Prince was ever like the Beatles within pop culture, in that he never quite "influenced the zeitgeist" in the way his early contemporaries like Michael Jackson or Madonna or even George Michael ever did. He was super popular, but always kind of a strange stylistic outlier that was really difficult to copy or understand. In this way, I view him as more of a pop cultural anomaly, like the Talking Heads or Tom Waits. They're singular performers that just exist in their own insular realities. Basically, Prince is the only Prince, in a way that feels (to me, at least) kind of monolithic and ahistorical.

That said, it feels totally realistic to me that both Nick and Jess would have strong attachments to Prince from their youth. They're supposed to be in their early 30's; they'd have been on the young side for him in the 90's, but who actually only listened to new release music when they were in middle and high school?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

poo poo, I don't even like the Beatles but if someone said "hey are you coming with me to this part, SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY WILL BE THERE" and I'd be like do I have time to buy all new clothes to wear so that I don't look like a slob in front of him?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Someone would rather meet ke$ha than loving Prince?

Shut this poo poo down.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
TBH ke$ha seems like she'd be more fun at a house party. Sure I'd be thrilled to meet Prince at a party, but can you really party with someone whose persona is Prince's?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

nutranurse posted:

TBH ke$ha seems like she'd be more fun at a house party. Sure I'd be thrilled to meet Prince at a party, but can you really party with someone whose persona is Prince's?

Seriously? Ke$ha (or her public persona, at least) seems like the kind of person who would show up uninvited to a house party with a bunch of her friends (who no one else knows) and proceed to get all sloppy drunk, hit on everyone's boyfriend, throw up in at least three inappropriate places, then pass out on the sofa (possibly after a bout of intense sobbing).

Prince seems like the kind of guy who would show up to a house party with a bunch of his body guards (who everyone is afraid of) and stand off in the corner nodding sagely while ignoring absolutely everyone until he calmly just walks out, leaving all the party-goers with the lingering feeling that they've been silently judged and found unworthy.

I mean, neither seem like they'd be really fun at a party, but I'd have to go with Prince because at least I would have to steam clean my duvet afterwards.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The former sounds way more fun than the latter (cause you just get sloppy drunk too, problem solved!).

I'd find it annoying to be silently judged by some guy in a blouse. v:shobon:v

e: Also he's a Jehovah's Witness so you know he'd be judging you.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 8, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

nutranurse posted:

The former sounds way more fun than the latter (cause you just get sloppy drunk too, problem solved!).

I don't know if becoming part of the problem actually solves it, though. I mean, sure, you're not feeling uncomfortable anymore, but everyone at your party is still standing around awkwardly while you gyrate on top of a table to a song that hasn't been playing for ten minutes, now, and instead of having to worry about finding one person's hidden vomit stashes for the next week you've got to worry about your own, too.

Which, I dunno, maybe you're into that, that's cool, whatever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shageletic posted:

Gross.

EDIT: I'm not sure I can take your opinions at face value anymore Irish Joe.

Why did you ever?

I've just plain given up on the forum obsession with Kesha. This is literally the only place I've seen people refer to her as anything but "gross", let alone someone they enjoy seeing and hearing.

Also, I don't know who you people are who were born in the 80's and never heard any Prince, his songs were on the radio pretty much constantly at least up until I was in high school.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I remember the video for When Doves Cry and Raspberry Beret being fairly common on MTV/VH1 into the mid-90s and the decline of the music video era.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ke$ha writes awesome pop/rock music, has a sense of humor about herself, and seems like a genuinely nice person, if maybe a little weird. Why would you not want to hang out with her?

I mean, I'm sure meeting Paul McCartney or Prince would be an amazing experience that I would jump at in a heartbeat, but if I actually got to hang out and converse with a famous person, someone closer to my age and time would probably be more fun.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I don't know if becoming part of the problem actually solves it, though. I mean, sure, you're not feeling uncomfortable anymore, but everyone at your party is still standing around awkwardly while you gyrate on top of a table to a song that hasn't been playing for ten minutes, now, and instead of having to worry about finding one person's hidden vomit stashes for the next week you've got to worry about your own, too.

Which, I dunno, maybe you're into that, that's cool, whatever.

Hey man, if everyone becomes a part of the problem is it still a problem anymore? Imagine the fun you could have being sloppy drunk at Denny's with ke$sha or some other age appropriate popstar; imagine the fun you will have taking a post-drunk Denny's poo poo/vomit only to find a passed out ke$sha (or some other age appropriate popstar) in your bathtub.

evv: Hey bro, I did those things at 21, not 17. :colbert: (they were fun at the time)

e2: Actually, from the standpoint of Nick and Jessica being 30-somethings slowly sliding away from their 20's I can see why such a drunken night wouldn't appeal to them.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 8, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, see, I think I see the problem, here. I'm not seventeen, anymore. The poo poo you're talking about isn't "having a good time" when you're my age, it's alcoholism.

Also, Ke$ha doesn't seem, like, offensive as a person (though I'm really not fond of her music). She just seems aggressively boring. Like, if you're not into getting humorously drunk and acting like a teenager.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, see, I think I see the problem, here. I'm not seventeen, anymore. The poo poo you're talking about isn't "having a good time" when you're my age, it's alcoholism.

Also, Ke$ha doesn't seem, like, offensive as a person (though I'm really not fond of her music). She just seems aggressively boring. Like, if you're not into getting humorously drunk and acting like a teenager.

Have you ever seen her on like, Conan or any of those shows? She seems like the sweetest little weirdo to me and I would totally love to hang out with her. Too many people make the mistake of hearing Tick Tock and assumin that's the sum total of Ke$ha.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Epi Lepi posted:

Have you ever seen her on like, Conan or any of those shows? She seems like the sweetest little weirdo to me and I would totally love to hang out with her. Too many people make the mistake of hearing Tick Tock and assumin that's the sum total of Ke$ha.

Yeah, I just watched an interview with her from Jimmy Kimmel because I do my research, goddammit. Like I said, she seems spacy...not terribly bright...just, like, an average kid at best. That said, that was an interview and not a house party. I did base my estimation of her house party etiquette on her public persona. I think the best that could happen to her is that her career ends and she goes on to live a normal life and doesn't go crazy like Britney Spears.

That said, not someone I would choose to hang out with. Doesn't even seem like the most interesting of the current crop of pop stars. At least she's not Robin Thicke, I guess.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want to hold a round table with Ke$ha, Gaga, Lana Del Rey, Rhianna, Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez. Me and Beyoncé can moderate.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Yoshifan823 posted:

I want to hold a round table with Ke$ha, Gaga, Lana Del Rey, Rhianna, Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez. Me and Beyoncé can moderate.

No Demi Lovato?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

No Demi Lovato?

Oh yeah, duh. And T-Swizz in there for good measure. I think her, Gomez and Lovato are all pretty good friends, actually. And with stuff coming out about the latter two as of late, they might be more fun to party with than Ke$ha. (So long as The Biebs stays far the gently caress away)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, Justin Bieber is someone I can honestly say I just don't like as a person.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Hey man, if everyone becomes a part of the problem is it still a problem anymore? Imagine the fun you could have being sloppy drunk at Denny's with ke$sha or some other age appropriate popstar; imagine the fun you will have taking a post-drunk Denny's poo poo/vomit only to find a passed out ke$sha (or some other age appropriate popstar) in your bathtub.

evv: Hey bro, I did those things at 21, not 17. :colbert: (they were fun at the time)

e2: Actually, from the standpoint of Nick and Jessica being 30-somethings slowly sliding away from their 20's I can see why such a drunken night wouldn't appeal to them.

Oh my god this poo poo makes me shiver. Thank god I'm not that young anymore.

Also, musicians are like people. They mostly suck. Prince though I plain just find fascinating. Read about the stories swirling around him. It reads like some sort of amoral epic or something. Did you know he started a charismatic evangelical cult for a few years, before he got bored? Like it was a phase?!

EDIT: Also phylodox, best posts ever.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What has happened in here?

• Locked thread