Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

dokmo posted:

There's some kind of search thing here and here. I don't know what the difference between those is.

Neat! Well he doesn't show up there but thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

randyest posted:

Assuming it's happening while browsing, it's a bad banner ad that tricks the device into going to the app store. It happens here on SA to a lot of people, but I think they've tried to get rid of that ad.

You could jailbreak and install adblock, or just not browse sites that have bad ads. The awful app is good for browsing SA, and it doesn't have that problem.

Now you mention it, I do spend a lot of time on SA on my devices and that is where I notice it happening.. Ill try out the Awful App.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is it possible for an RFID chip to get weaker/less sensitive or whatever (I don't know the right word!) with time?

My travel pass is a London Oyster card which uses an RFID tag. It's the same card that I've had for something like 7 years, and it seems to be increasingly inactive when I touch it to the sensors on buses/at stations.

It used to be in my wallet and activate the machines just fine, but now I have to touch the card itself against the sensors and even then it doesn't always work.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

ineptmule posted:

Is it possible for an RFID chip to get weaker/less sensitive or whatever (I don't know the right word!) with time?

My travel pass is a London Oyster card which uses an RFID tag. It's the same card that I've had for something like 7 years, and it seems to be increasingly inactive when I touch it to the sensors on buses/at stations.

It used to be in my wallet and activate the machines just fine, but now I have to touch the card itself against the sensors and even then it doesn't always work.

At least some RFID cards include an antenna within the card. One typical shape would be a spiral-shaped length of wire within the card, connected to the RFID chip at one end. If the card gets bent, the wire will get strained and may eventually break; at that point, the antenna wire will be "out of tune" with the signal it's supposed to receive. The location of the break will determine how severely out of tune the antenna will be.

Another possibility might be that at some point within the 7-year interval, a new version of the RFID cards might have been released. Eventually, the readers might be optimized for the newer card type... which might make the readers "de-optimized" for the old cards. We had something like that happen in Finland, as the manufacturer of the original (blue) Helsinki area travel cards went out of business or something, and a new (green) series of cards was introduced.

Also, when the RFID travel cards were introduced in Helsinki area, the readers initially had a very generous reading distance. Some unintentional reads were reported, people complainend, and the reading distance was reduced. After that, they needed to add a neon green plastic cross to each reader to indicate exactly where the card should be placed...

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

ThatPazuzu posted:

Why can't you eat before surgery?

This is a sorta old question but I wanted to chime in.

The reason for fasting before a surgery is the fear of aspiration of stomach contents. Basically when the patient is being intubated there is a risk of triggering a vomiting response. If this happens while you are lying down on the operating table, you will breathe the vomit in and it'll go into your lungs. Foreign bodies making their way into the lungs is very severe and dangerous complication, because bacteria that usually doesn't cause pneumonia will start to grow on the bits of food in your lungs and cause a "chemical pneumonia" (This might not be the american term for this. I'm translating this from danish.)

A chemical pneumonia is very hard to treat and will often lead to severe pulmonal complications and/or death. One of our lecturers in Med School told us a story about intubating a little girl who suddenly starts vomiting what is very clearly half-digested scrambled eggs. She aspirates these and dies of pneumonia. When they told her father he was of course devastated, because he didn't think it would hurt, and he just wanted to comfort her before the scary surgery by making her a good breakfast.

I've talked about eating, but drinking before surgery can be equally dangerous.

Please follow the doctors orders!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where should I put a thread where goons laugh at Bill Nye and Ken Ham discuss the creation of all reality (One is a science guy, the other is the founder of the creationism museum.) I am crossed between DnD and TVIV.

It's live in 10 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What does "slam whale" mean?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Crankit posted:

What does "slam whale" mean?

Send your mom over and I'll show you.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

ineptmule posted:

The Paris public transport uses RFID cards and I've had mine, friends' and family's gradually stop working after some years. You can just walk up to any information/ticket booth and ask for a free replacement here.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Math/probability question

If I roll two normal 6 sided dice, the total number of combinations is 20 (1+1 through 6+6). If I'm looking for a specific combination of numbers (3+5) for example, my chances are 1 in 20. If however, I'm trying to roll any set of doubles, my chances should be 6 in 20, correct?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CzarChasm posted:

Math/probability question

If I roll two normal 6 sided dice, the total number of combinations is 20 (1+1 through 6+6). If I'm looking for a specific combination of numbers (3+5) for example, my chances are 1 in 20. If however, I'm trying to roll any set of doubles, my chances should be 6 in 20, correct?
No. There's 36 different possible rolls if you count the dice separately. Chance for doubles is 1 in 6. No matter how the first die lands, the second has a 1/6 chance of landing on the same number.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If you're looking for a specific combo (3 and 5) but you don't care which die reads which number, it's 1/18 I think.

1/6 chance of rolling 3 on die A, 1/6 chance of rolling a 5 on die B.
Multiply these to get the chance of both events coinciding. 1/36.
Double your chance because it could happen the other way around, too. 2/36 = 1/18.

Probability of rolling any set of doubles at all, similarly, is 1/36 (chance of same roll happening on both dice) times six (because that same roll could be any of 6 numbers). 6/36 = 1/6, as Dr rear end in a top hat said.

edit:
vvvvv ooh nice, love seeing a second way to approach this :goonsay:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 5, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

alnilam posted:

If you're looking for a specific combo (3 and 5) but you don't care which die reads which number, it's 1/18 I think.

1/6 chance of rolling 3 on die A, 1/6 chance of rolling a 5 on die B.
Multiply these to get the chance of both events coinciding. 1/36.
Double your chance because it could happen the other way around, too. 2/36 = 1/18.

Another way to do this is to say that since there are two numbers that are equally good for the first die (3 or 5, it doesn't matter), you have two chances in six, or 1/3. If you get either of them then the second die has to come up with the remaining number, so that's one chance in six (if the first die was 3, the second has to come up 5 and vice-versa, either way it's a 1/6 chance). 1/3 * 1/6 = 1/18.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How do traffic reporters know an accident is a hit and run so quickly? It seems like right after the accident they automatically know it is a hit and run. The police can't get there that quickly?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

b0nes posted:

How do traffic reporters know an accident is a hit and run so quickly? It seems like right after the accident they automatically know it is a hit and run. The police can't get there that quickly?

Either they saw it on traffic cameras, or they're just taking the word of whoever reported the accident probably.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

b0nes posted:

Because the car isn't there?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Thanks for the thoughts on my RFID question. I'll see if I can get a replacement, and my horribly expensive annual pass transferred...

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

b0nes posted:

They listen to scanners and know the police's 10-codes, also how they show up at places real fast with the news vans.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A friend of mine got married last weekend to the sister of my brother's wife. I spent the night before the wedding over his house and we discussed the oddity of the situation from our perspectives and how we were going to be almost but not really related.

We both knew that certain societies that are more traditionally focused on extended families have much more elaborate kinship systems and the vocabularies to describe them.

Is there any word in another language to describe our relationship? If so, what is it?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
There's a discussion of this on Language Log that talks about various kinship terms for inlaws of inlaws.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone had to deal with an acquaintance that you haven't talk to in years of yours asking to take you out for coffee or to meet up so that they can discuss some business/job opportunity? It's always a mysterious topic and if you ask them about it they change the subject or steer away from the question. I have had to deal with this a few years ago and my friend just called me saying some guy came into his work at the car shop and presented him with a potential job opportunity and wanted to take him out for coffee and it reminded me of something that happened a few years ago. There's always some group meeting and the word "partners" used a lot and it just seems so cult-ish. Has anyone had to deal with something like this? I was always curious to know what they were trying to sell or present....

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 6, 2014

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Busy Bee posted:

Has anyone had to deal with an acquaintance that you haven't talk to in years of yours asking to take you out for coffee or to meet up so that they can discuss some business/job opportunity? It's always a mysterious topic and if you ask them about it they change the subject or steer away from the question. I have had to deal with this a few years ago and my friend just called me saying some guy came into his work at the car shop and presented him with a potential job opportunity and wanted to take him out for coffee and it reminded me of something that happened a few years ago. There's always some group meeting and the word "partners" used a lot and it just seems so cult-ish. Has anyone had to deal with something like this? I was always curious to know what they were trying to sell or present....

It's always a MLM, they always suck.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Busy Bee posted:

90% of the time they'll try and sell you knives, 5% of the time they'll try and get you to invest in some horrible idea (if you recently got a lot of money this % is much higher) and 5% of the time they're knowingly perpetrating some sort of scam.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thauros posted:

A friend of mine got married last weekend to the sister of my brother's wife. I spent the night before the wedding over his house and we discussed the oddity of the situation from our perspectives and how we were going to be almost but not really related.

We both knew that certain societies that are more traditionally focused on extended families have much more elaborate kinship systems and the vocabularies to describe them.

Is there any word in another language to describe our relationship? If so, what is it?
When I lived in the south, we just called it "kin". Now that I'm on the west coast, we don't really call it anything.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

It's either a pyramid scheme, or some other kind of pyramid scheme. Assuming you haven't come into a financial windfall and he wants an unsound interest free loan. Bottom line, it can't be good for you.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Two questions:

What's the best place to sell a car online? Not Craigslist or eBay motors.

Also, what's the best audio program to use if the only two things that matter are:
it's easy to make a playlist, and easy to balance/equalize the audio of the songs, so that you can go away from the playlist, rather than having to constantly adjust the volume.

iTunes has some sound quality issues, and Windows Media Player plays them with wildly different volumes

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

escape artist posted:

Two questions:

Also, what's the best audio program to use if the only two things that matter are:
it's easy to make a playlist, and easy to balance/equalize the audio of the songs, so that you can go away from the playlist, rather than having to constantly adjust the volume.

Winamp (RIP) does both of these.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

escape artist posted:

Two questions:

iTunes has some sound quality issues, and Windows Media Player plays them with wildly different volumes

I used Car Soup in the Midwest and liked it. Not sure of its prevalence elsewhere in the country.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

escape artist posted:

Two questions:

Search "Replay Gain" on Wikipedia. Scan and tag your music with their Replay Gain values. Wikipedia has a list of scanners and players. I use Winamp for both (recently acquired by a new company who will hopefully keep it alive).

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

escape artist posted:

AutoTrader.

I have always had better luck writing the price in shoe polish on the windshield and leaving it at a high-traffic intersection for a day at a time.

Secondly, depending on the price of the car, getting a quote from CarMax, or anywhere else in your locale that buys used cars, is worthwhile. It'll certainly be 5-10% less than you'll get on the private party market (and it always feels like 20% less, but it never is), and sometimes for a $5k car, it's worth it to take a $500 hit to drop off the keys and pick up a check, no hassle. Start calling used car dealers. They all buy used cars.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Who is the woman who looks like Cruella Deville?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

photomikey posted:

Who is the woman who looks like Cruella Deville?

Meryl Davis (figure skating). The guy to her right is her partner, Charlie White.

Ninja edit: In case anyone is curious, that is also Shaun White (snowboarding) and Shani Davis (speed skating).

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Maybe there's a better thread to ask this in, but if I wanted to set up something to automatically scrape a website for data (to throw into a .csv file), how would I do that?

For example, I want to download all the data on this page:

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/Data_Elements.aspx?Data=5

But I want to do it for all the major airports. Presumably there's a way to program something to do it automatically, but I don't know how.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Xandu posted:

Maybe there's a better thread to ask this in, but if I wanted to set up something to automatically scrape a website for data (to throw into a .csv file), how would I do that?

For example, I want to download all the data on this page:

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/Data_Elements.aspx?Data=5

But I want to do it for all the major airports. Presumably there's a way to program something to do it automatically, but I don't know how.
Try here.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Why is :smith: named Smith? Is there a story behind that family of faces?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

alnilam posted:

Why is :smith: named Smith? Is there a story behind that family of faces?

There was a great MS Paint thread long ago where goons took that face and put into scenarios explaining why he was so unhappy. The OP established his name as Smith.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does anyone remember that story about the guy (goon?) who was supposed to be laid off, but the process got hosed up somehow and he continued to get paid? I remember he still stuck around in his old office because nobody went there and just slacked off all day because he could and devised brilliant strategies to make sure attention wasn't drawn to him.

I think it was called Living the American Dream or somesuch. Anyone have a link to that?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Can jerky not be posted internationally, I emailed a couple of the jerky websites that goons run to ask how much postage is to the uk if that's possible and I never heard back. Is Jerky postage super illegal or something?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Does anyone remember that story about the guy (goon?) who was supposed to be laid off, but the process got hosed up somehow and he continued to get paid? I remember he still stuck around in his old office because nobody went there and just slacked off all day because he could and devised brilliant strategies to make sure attention wasn't drawn to him.

I think it was called Living the American Dream or somesuch. Anyone have a link to that?

https://github.com/bibanon/bibanon/blob/master/Stories/American-Dream.md

This should really be in the OP at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Crankit posted:

Can jerky not be posted internationally, I emailed a couple of the jerky websites that goons run to ask how much postage is to the uk if that's possible and I never heard back. Is Jerky postage super illegal or something?

Well, you won't go to jail, but customs can seize it, yes.