Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mico posted:

FPSnum actually does nothing without FPSden. They're numerator and denominator, FPS is stored as a fraction in video files.

Actually,

the doc posted:

int fpsnum = -1, int fpsden = 1
Controls the framerate of the output; used for VFR to CFR conversions. If fpsnum is less than or equal to zero (the default), the output will contain the same frames that the input did, and the frame rate reported to Avisynth will be set based on the input clip's average frame duration. If fpsnum is greater than zero, FFVideoSource will force a constant frame rate, expressed as a rational number where fpsnum is the numerator and fpsden is the denominator. This may naturally cause FFVideoSource to drop or duplicate frames to achieve the desired frame rate, and the output is not guaranteed to have the same number of frames that the input did.

fpsden has a default of 1, so leaving it out is completely fine if you want an integer as your framerate.

Anyway, the actual question:

Psion posted:

While we're at it, I see fpsnum=30 and I've seen ChangeFPS(30) ... is there a real reason to use one over the other?

Technically, fpsnum=30 lets the source filter handle the conversion while reading the file from disk into the script, while ChangeFPS(30) lets Avisynth handle the conversion after the file has already been loaded. In practice, this makes no difference if your video file has a constant framerate, but makes a big difference when the video file has a variable framerate, since by not providing the parameter Avisynth will assume that all frames in the video have a constant duration -- because Avisynth does not support variable framerates.

When in doubt, use the fpsnum parameter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Okay, let's be specific then - I've got segmented video from nV shadowplay. It chunks off in 4GB intervals so you splice all the videos together. Thing is, there are minute variations in framerate from video to video so I can't just unalignedsplice them all at native (60 fps) or it throws an error. My goal is to splice and then edit the combined file for eventual output as one, edited video. In that case, should I use fpsnum=30? I've done this before using ChangeFPS(30) and it worked, but I want to follow best practices if possible.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 6, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
It worked! Thank you Mico, and everyone else for the help.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Technically, fpsnum=30 lets the source filter handle the conversion while reading the file from disk into the script, while ChangeFPS(30) lets Avisynth handle the conversion after the file has already been loaded. In practice, this makes no difference if your video file has a constant framerate, but makes a big difference when the video file has a variable framerate, since by not providing the parameter Avisynth will assume that all frames in the video have a constant duration -- because Avisynth does not support variable framerates.

Holy poo poo if my AverMedia card was still hooked up to a working computer this might have solved my audio desync issues.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Psion posted:

Okay, let's be specific then - I've got segmented video from nV shadowplay. It chunks off in 4GB intervals so you splice all the videos together. Thing is, there are minute variations in framerate from video to video so I can't just unalignedsplice them all at native (60 fps) or it throws an error. My goal is to splice and then edit the combined file for eventual output as one, edited video. In that case, should I use fpsnum=30? I've done this before using ChangeFPS(30) and it worked, but I want to follow best practices if possible.

You should be using fpsnum=30. ShadowPlay records variable frame rate MP4s. I'm pretty sure it literally dumps frames at "whatever speed they come out of the game" so if your game isn't running at exactly a constant frame rate, you'll wind up with a variable frame rate file.

Generally speaking, you should always be using fpsnum with FFVideoSource. At worst, it won't hurt anything.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011
How do these look?

They definitely look fuzzier than the game itself, but it's the best I've been able to get, what with all the hoop jumping involved in trying to record a non-rooted phone. :v:
Just wondering if I should go ahead with this or hope somebody with a better hardware setup does it at some point.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lufia posted:

How do these look?

They definitely look fuzzier than the game itself, but it's the best I've been able to get, what with all the hoop jumping involved in trying to record a non-rooted phone. :v:
Just wondering if I should go ahead with this or hope somebody with a better hardware setup does it at some point.

Why not use your phone's built-in screenshot feature? Usually it's home button + power button.
Here's the title screen captured from my phone in that fashion. Linked for huge 1.3 MB png.
http://i.imgur.com/j2r6OaK.png

Obviously the resolution you get differs per phone model and in my case I'd need to throw them through a batch process to resize and convert them to jpg.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Geemer posted:

Why not use your phone's built-in screenshot feature? Usually it's home button + power button.
Because interrogation scenes are pretty dynamic with some nifty animations and I'm bound to miss stuff if I take screenshots manually. I'd be willing to make concessions on the stabby word balloons, but the certainty percentages and the frowny anime eyes inserts, I do want screenshots of, and they don't stay on screen for very long at all.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lufia posted:

Because interrogation scenes are pretty dynamic with some nifty animations and I'm bound to miss stuff if I take screenshots manually. I'd be willing to make concessions on the stabby word balloons, but the certainty percentages and the frowny anime eyes inserts, I do want screenshots of, and they don't stay on screen for very long at all.

Good point, I had forgotten about those. I know some phones have some form of HDMI out, which you might be able to capture with a capture device. Or you could try seeing if you can't get Teamviewer or something to show the screen on your computer and capture that.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Geemer posted:

Good point, I had forgotten about those. I know some phones have some form of HDMI out, which you might be able to capture with a capture device.
I don't have a TV and I'm pretty sure the HDMI port on my laptop is an output. :v:

Geemer posted:

Or you could try seeing if you can't get Teamviewer or something to show the screen on your computer and capture that.
Does Teamwiever actually mirror your phone to your PC? The description of the app only mentions mirroring your desktop on your phone.
I'm already using a mirroring app, but do mention any one you know of, I'm willing to try a few more things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
To be honest, I think Teamviwer is going to give you worse video than Android 4.4's built-in screen recording. Teamviewer isn't good enough for that sort of thing on two PCs, nevermind a phone.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

TeamViewer on the phone doesn't work to connect from computer to phone, only phone to computer.

Source: I'm too lazy to get off the couch sometimes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

EntranceJew posted:

TeamViewer on the phone doesn't work to connect from computer to phone, only phone to computer.

Not anymore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamviewer.quicksupport.market

You have to get the right addon for your device, and I'm gathering not all of them are supported (until recently it was just for Samsung devices), but.. yeah, it's a thing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Considering doing an SMT I (or maybe II, I haven't checked if one or the other has been done yet) pic playthrough, and was wondering what the general consensus on using the ZSNES Filters is? I really like how they look, but I don't know if the LP board is purist on it or not.

e: Every SMT game has been done! So I didn't see a rule for "Don't do poo poo that's been done," but is it implied?
Nevermind. Thanks!

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 7, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

hubris.height posted:

Considering doing an SMT I (or maybe II, I haven't checked if one or the other has been done yet) pic playthrough, and was wondering what the general consensus on using the ZSNES Filters is? I really like how they look, but I don't know if the LP board is purist on it or not.

gently caress filters.

Zeratanis posted:

11.) FOLLOW THIS
• Don't use filters when playing 2D games. They look like poo poo. This is fact.

Also they've both been done, but don't let that stop you from doing an LP. Just don't use filters.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For 1), just start some batch processes in either Irfanview (GUI) or ImageMagick (command line).

For 2), I recommend my FaceCopy tool, it has both manual visual copy-and-paste functionality as well as exactly what you want with the batch shorthand replacements.

I just started working on cutting the images up, and IrfanView is great. The hell of it is that I was already using it to batch resize my images, but never noticed the crop option was so powerful. Thanks for pointing that out! And your tool looks like a serious godsend as well, so thanks for that too!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Tindeck doesn't seem to be working properly right now. Does anyone know of any other MP3 hosting site I can use until it does?

Edit: I went with Kiwi, but I think you should probably have audio hosting info in the OP.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 9, 2014

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Soundcloud is my go-to audio hosting solution.

TheBrigand
Aug 23, 2013

Video Games
Brand new video captured with the Elgato on WiiU. This is just a short clip of test footage that has the most important part of the game that we neglected last time.

http://youtu.be/jFofSDuGU-s

How does it look?

Fake Edit: I just noticed the black border, I may have rendered the video to the wrong size, or just neglected to crop it.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

TheBrigand posted:

Brand new video captured with the Elgato on WiiU. This is just a short clip of test footage that has the most important part of the game that we neglected last time.

http://youtu.be/jFofSDuGU-s

How does it look?

Fake Edit: I just noticed the black border, I may have rendered the video to the wrong size, or just neglected to crop it.

Elgato just does that black border poo poo. Probably forgot to crop it, but the footage looks... a bit artefacted? Is that a word? I can pause at 16 seconds and Link's arm has visible jagged pixels.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

PAMaster posted:

Elgato just does that black border poo poo. Probably forgot to crop it, but the footage looks... a bit artefacted? Is that a word? I can pause at 16 seconds and Link's arm has visible jagged pixels.

I imagine this is because he's playing a Wii game on the WiiU.

TheBrigand
Aug 23, 2013

Video Games

Mico posted:

I imagine this is because he's playing a Wii game on the WiiU.

Yeah, that's pretty much why there's just some gunky looking stuff, that showed up in the raw footage as well.

PAMaster posted:

Okay, it's good to know that it wasn't entirely me goofing up something fierce. I'll be sure to crop it in the future.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

TheBrigand posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much why there's just some gunky looking stuff, that showed up in the raw footage as well.

Okay, it's good to know that it wasn't entirely me goofing up something fierce. I'll be sure to crop it in the future.

Are you using component cables with the WiiU?

TheBrigand
Aug 23, 2013

Video Games
Nope, using the HDMI cables for in and out. Would you recommend component cables?

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

HDMI is a pure digital signal vs. Component's analog, so no.

TheBrigand
Aug 23, 2013

Video Games
Okay, I kinda thought so but a part of me thought that maybe since it was originally for the Wii it needed the native cable types...? Thanks for all the feedback guys!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

PAMaster posted:

I've noticed the black borders exist for sub-HD games, because I've recorded off my PS3 and my PC with my Elgato and they're completely border free. The artifacting is a result of 480p footage being upscaled to 720p.

To demonstrate how upscaling doesn't always look nice and leaves jaggies, here's a thing I made a while ago comparing an Elgato capture from my Wii (from a muxed video, but whatever, the jaggies are still there from 480p being upscaled to 1080p) and from Dolphin (rendered at 3x native, downsampled to 1080p, I think). For good measure, I'm dropping another comparison from Smash Bros.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Dolphin also does antialiasing and a bunch of other tricks. It's not a fair comparison to the Wii — it emulates a superpowered Wii GPU with a bunch of added features.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

For the No More Heroes example, at least, the only anti-aliasing should've been from the downsampling. Anyway, the idea was just to show jaggies from 480p upscaling.

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
What is the best Capture Card for streaming? I've been thinking about the Elgato, but I'm not very knowledgeable about Capture Cards.

Edit : Mainly games for PS3 and Xbox 360

ZombieIsland fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 10, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ZombieIsland posted:

What is the best Capture Card for streaming? I've been thinking about the Elgato, but I'm not very knowledgeable about Capture Cards.

Edit : Mainly games for PS3 and Xbox 360

Elgato indeed works well enough for streaming. You can stream directly through Elgato's software or you can connect it through OBS.

Edit: VVV
I completely forgot that VAC was part of my stream set up. If you're streaming solo, you don't have to worry about this. Otherwise, you'll need to get VAC, wire your microphone and Skype output to the same line-cable somehow.

Also, the play on a TV thing is a caveat with most, if not all HD capture devices because they all do H264 encoding before streaming the output to your capture software, so there isn't much you can do about it.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 10, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

ChaosArgate posted:

Elgato indeed works well enough for streaming. You can stream directly through Elgato's software or you can connect it through OBS.

Caveats!

- If you use Elgato's software, it's only meant to stream your mic and the game audio. If you want guests, you'll have to do some fancy VAC stuff to get them too.
- Elgato requires you to play on a TV. If you don't use Elgato's software (and use OBS), the video on your computer is a couple of seconds behind. This means your audio won't quite match up to what's happening on screen!

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street

ChaosArgate posted:

Edit: VVV
I completely forgot that VAC was part of my stream set up. If you're streaming solo, you don't have to worry about this. Otherwise, you'll need to get VAC, wire your microphone and Skype output to the same line-cable somehow.

Also, the play on a TV thing is a caveat with most, if not all HD capture devices because they all do H264 encoding before streaming the output to your capture software, so there isn't much you can do about it.

slowbeef posted:

Caveats!

- If you use Elgato's software, it's only meant to stream your mic and the game audio. If you want guests, you'll have to do some fancy VAC stuff to get them too.
- Elgato requires you to play on a TV. If you don't use Elgato's software (and use OBS), the video on your computer is a couple of seconds behind. This means your audio won't quite match up to what's happening on screen!

Thanks Guys, really appreciate it, I think Ill go with the Elgato.

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

I just want someone's opinion on my audio for this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIm0B5H4aIQ

Only reason is because I can hear a tiny bit of static and I just want to make sure if anyone else could hear it so I can fix it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

BoastfulVirus posted:

Only reason is because I can hear a tiny bit of static and I just want to make sure if anyone else could hear it so I can fix it.

Yeah, I hear a little bit of it. It stops at about 12s for some reason.

TheBrigand
Aug 23, 2013

Video Games

ChaosArgate posted:

I've noticed the black borders exist for sub-HD games, because I've recorded off my PS3 and my PC with my Elgato and they're completely border free. The artifacting is a result of 480p footage being upscaled to 720p.

To demonstrate how upscaling doesn't always look nice and leaves jaggies, here's a thing I made a while ago comparing an Elgato capture from my Wii (from a muxed video, but whatever, the jaggies are still there from 480p being upscaled to 1080p) and from Dolphin (rendered at 3x native, downsampled to 1080p, I think). For good measure, I'm dropping another comparison from Smash Bros.

Thanks for this now I can see what PAMaster was talking about.

http://youtu.be/GvshLPXVLfE

I thought I would try to output it from Elgato capture device as an MP4 Original to see if that would help that, does it? Or should I just keep this sort of thing in mind when I'm capturing and there's nothing I can do to the footage I currently have?

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I hear a little bit of it. It stops at about 12s for some reason.

Okay thanks for your help. Might have to get a new mic then.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

TheBrigand posted:

Thanks for this now I can see what PAMaster was talking about.

http://youtu.be/GvshLPXVLfE

I thought I would try to output it from Elgato capture device as an MP4 Original to see if that would help that, does it? Or should I just keep this sort of thing in mind when I'm capturing and there's nothing I can do to the footage I currently have?

You need to resize it so it's 16:9, but yeah that looks fine.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

BoastfulVirus posted:

Okay thanks for your help. Might have to get a new mic then.

Usually, careful audio sampling (see the OP for noise removal guides) will help you get noise removed on your current mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salttotart
Mar 29, 2010

What's my favorite thing?
Well, it finally happened. After several wonderful years of use, my Hauppage HD PVR died. This is not the gaming edition, the original beast. A moment of silence...

With that out of the way, I need recommendations. I see all of the HD Capture Devices in the OP, but I have no idea which one is the best. I would like one that isn't as bulky as the HD PVR if possible. So, what is everyone using and like?

I see the suggestions above, but I do both streaming and recording. Is the Elgato good for both?

EDIT: I record both 360 and PS3. The Elgato says it works with PS3, but isn't the HDMI signal encrypted to stop proper recording? The wasn't a problem with my previous set-up since it went through component cables.

salttotart fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 12, 2014