Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

amuayse posted:

I find it fun to botch telesci expeditions if they're being butts about it

One round, I wanted to go sneaky traitor. So I spent half the round preparing in the debris field to be the most furtive, sneaky, deadly miner in the history of the game...

I get back to the station, and the other traitor has simply announced to the crew who they were, killed his targets, and is now loving around in telescience.

So I shut down telescience, walled it off, and called the escape shuttle while he was stuck on the ice moon. Escaped alone! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Captain Bravo posted:

So I shut down telescience, walled it off, and called the escape shuttle while he was stuck on the ice moon. Escaped alone! :v:
I like the mental image of a guy turning off a device that teleports people to distant worlds and back and then, just to be double loving sure, bricks it up too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LeadRobot posted:

http://wiki.ss13.co/Security_Officer A wealth of information on the subject. Due Process and Trouble in Paradise especially so.
It gives me a warm fuzzy to know that the rewrite I did a year ago is still considered good information. :unsmith:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Do thrown stun batons stun people? I would check but i'm usually to busy trying not to get banned because i've set myself on fire again (I keep finding new ways to do it) to find out.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Nakar posted:

I like the mental image of a guy turning off a device that teleports people to distant worlds and back and then, just to be double loving sure, bricks it up too.

Imagine if he took the computer apart and then spaced the board too. :v:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

dogstile posted:

Do thrown stun batons stun people? I would check but i'm usually to busy trying not to get banned because i've set myself on fire again (I keep finding new ways to do it) to find out.

You would never get banned for just setting yourself on fire or dieing in a funny way. Believe it or not the admins are pretty lenient if you're not a shithead.

But also, no they don't. But a stun baton pie on the other hand...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My favourite telescience round was going to Mars as a changeling, eating a couple of people and spreading panic, before being shot dead with a laser gun and managing to neurotoxin/headspider my killer, the detective. Who also turned out to be a changeling. Exclaiming that I had killed the changeling, I shouted that he had probably headspidered someone and we'd never get the victim to medbay on time, then ran off for "backup".

By this point, plenty of people were rushing to Mars to see what all the fuss was about. I slunk off back to the station, turned the telescience computer off and immediately began using mimic voice to endlessly taunt the Mars crew with the claim that I remained in hiding amongst them and that they should be sure to go about in pairs, as long as they felt luck was with them in their choice of partner.

By the time the shuttle came, they had killed each other out of panic and fear, and one of the few survivors was begging someone to operate the telescience computer and bring her back.

I was so happy to oblige. :getin:

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Seriously, there is nothing worse than a late-night game with only 2-5 players. Some of the most weird, hosed-up, unfun pieces of poo poo populate those games.

Relatively full late night games can be fun, though.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I... I don't know how to feel about the new VOX.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
We're still working on it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kayle7 posted:

You would never get banned for just setting yourself on fire or dieing in a funny way. Believe it or not the admins are pretty lenient if you're not a shithead.

But also, no they don't. But a stun baton pie on the other hand...

Its a shame, I would like to supercop someone with a thrown baton.

Also, its probably not the setting myself on fire, its also other people that go up with me. I'll drink something that'll make me explode into flames or i'll be loving around with a chem and it'll blow up in my pocket. Most recently was my attempt to put a flame grenade into a suicide jacket. I was going to put it on and jump in the wendigo test chamber but it just went off because i'm dumb.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nakar posted:

For the love of God, Montresor!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dareon posted:

For the love of God, Montresor!
We should never have said yes to going on that away mission to Amontillado VII!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

dogstile posted:

Its a shame, I would like to supercop someone with a thrown baton.

Also, its probably not the setting myself on fire, its also other people that go up with me. I'll drink something that'll make me explode into flames or i'll be loving around with a chem and it'll blow up in my pocket. Most recently was my attempt to put a flame grenade into a suicide jacket. I was going to put it on and jump in the wendigo test chamber but it just went off because i'm dumb.

yeah suicide jackets are finicky and loving irritating, to attach a payload you have to use the jacket on the payload, not vice versa.

Attempting to use the payload on the jacket causes grenades to go off or you to splash your hard made chems on the jacket like a moron.

Captain Bravo posted:

One round, I wanted to go sneaky traitor. So I spent half the round preparing in the debris field to be the most furtive, sneaky, deadly miner in the history of the game...

I love doing this, if you can get your hands on the barman's shotgun before it vanishes you're doing yourself a disservice by not going too THE DRINKS SELLER and picking up some twelv-REFRESHMENTS

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

My favourite telescience round was going to Mars as a changeling, eating a couple of people and spreading panic, before being shot dead with a laser gun and managing to neurotoxin/headspider my killer, the detective. Who also turned out to be a changeling. Exclaiming that I had killed the changeling, I shouted that he had probably headspidered someone and we'd never get the victim to medbay on time, then ran off for "backup".

By this point, plenty of people were rushing to Mars to see what all the fuss was about. I slunk off back to the station, turned the telescience computer off and immediately began using mimic voice to endlessly taunt the Mars crew with the claim that I remained in hiding amongst them and that they should be sure to go about in pairs, as long as they felt luck was with them in their choice of partner.

By the time the shuttle came, they had killed each other out of panic and fear, and one of the few survivors was begging someone to operate the telescience computer and bring her back.

That's basically awesome.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 7, 2014

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Isn't that the plot of a movie? Or possibly more than one?

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

dogstile posted:

That's still nothing to worry about. The systems wouldn't be so dangerous and complicated if workplace accidents weren't encouraged. The admin policy seems to be that if you're just trying to get to grips with chemistry or whatever and you didn't mean to set those people on fire you're in the clear.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Is there any way to alleviate input lag in the game, or is this just a BYOND issue? I keep getting a half a second of pause before my commands are undertaken.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Admiral Funk posted:

That's still nothing to worry about. The systems wouldn't be so dangerous and complicated if workplace accidents weren't encouraged. The admin policy seems to be that if you're just trying to get to grips with chemistry or whatever and you didn't mean to set those people on fire you're in the clear.

It should be pretty clear from the map layout itself that the station is all about workplace accidents. Look at Belt Hell, the engine, and the flying crates coming into QM. They're all horribly dangerous solutions for simple tasks.

You won't (shouldn't?) get in trouble for horrible accidents unless it's fairly clear that you're just being a dick. It's a fairly obvious difference - an engineer turning the wrong valve and flooding engineering with fire and going all "oh poo poo" about it vs. some guy dragging a plasma canister into a main hall with a lit torch. One screwed up in a funny way, the other is intentionally trying to gently caress the round up. The second one is bad.
Also if the same person keeps making the same mistake over and over, it's pretty obviously not a mistake.

That said, if a workplace accident injures other people and they think you did it on purpose and they beat you up or imprison you, we'll probably laugh about that too unless the reaction was waaaaay overboard.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 7, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Spaceking posted:

Is there any way to alleviate input lag in the game, or is this just a BYOND issue? I keep getting a half a second of pause before my commands are undertaken.

A half-second of lag is a good day! :v:

But seriously, yeah, the lag will always be there in one way or another. Far as I've seen, the game is just barely holding together, and there's surprisingly a lot happening in the game even when it's only a few people around. The real lag only starts when people start blowing stuff up or chemical-shenanigans happen.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

tlarn posted:

A half-second of lag is a good day! :v:

But seriously, yeah, the lag will always be there in one way or another. Far as I've seen, the game is just barely holding together, and there's surprisingly a lot happening in the game even when it's only a few people around. The real lag only starts when people start blowing stuff up or chemical-shenanigans happen.

Or someone makes 20 securitrons. Not that I've ever done that or anything.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

What is it about an explosion that permanently lags the round, though? At least that's the way it seems sometimes - a series of bombs go off and then the game never really recovers. It's pretty obvious why the event itself lags the server like crazy but the accumulating lag has never made all that much sense to me. Does it make sense to the coders, or is it just an aspect of the held-together-with-positive-thinking backend of the game that nobody understands?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Jazerus posted:

What is it about an explosion that permanently lags the round, though? At least that's the way it seems sometimes - a series of bombs go off and then the game never really recovers. It's pretty obvious why the event itself lags the server like crazy but the accumulating lag has never made all that much sense to me. Does it make sense to the coders, or is it just an aspect of the held-together-with-positive-thinking backend of the game that nobody understands?

Gas.

All the escaping and moving gas calculations lag like poo poo sometimes,

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Most of the explosion lag up front was from Delete calls, which are stupidly expensive - byond iterates through the entire game world looking for anything that references an object to sever those references before it's allowed to finish deleting. Multiply that by a hundred or more things getting deleted in a blast and everything goes to poo poo.

Deletion is staggered now through a queue process after we rewrote a bunch of stuff, so game-halting blasts are much more responsive. Lingering lag is probably from some weird behaviors with airgroups fracturing into individual-tile processing and then not returning to the more efficient group process stuff again.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It should be pretty clear from the map layout itself that the station is all about workplace accidents. Look at Belt Hell, the engine, and the flying crates coming into QM. They're all horribly dangerous solutions for simple tasks.

You won't (shouldn't?) get in trouble for horrible accidents unless it's fairly clear that you're just being a dick. It's a fairly obvious difference - an engineer turning the wrong valve and flooding engineering with fire and going all "oh poo poo" about it vs. some guy dragging a plasma canister into a main hall with a lit torch. One screwed up in a funny way, the other is intentionally trying to gently caress the round up. The second one is bad.
Also if the same person keeps making the same mistake over and over, it's pretty obviously not a mistake.

That said, if a workplace accident injures other people and they think you did it on purpose and they beat you up or imprison you, we'll probably laugh about that too unless the reaction was waaaaay overboard.

Yeah, its probably just all the stories of badmins getting to me. I really enjoy the game so when I play it I always second guess myself. There was a time where a guy on meth wouldn't stop punching me (i was nearing death) so I shoved him down a disposals chute. I didn't realise he was drunk and he staggered into the crushers. Its things like that where I second guess myself because poo poo, was he a traitor? Was he not? Was that too overzealous? Etcetera
I suppose you guys at least ask us why we did what we did, so I should probably relax.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I will never not love being a traitor roboticist, making a bunch of syndicate borgs and starting a brain collection agency. Whoever you special five were, you served me well

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Tonight, I decided to do Simple Artefact Science: Touch both starter artefacts and see what happens. As it turns out, one artefact projected a gravity field which pulled every object, door, window, and console within 5 or so squares around it to form a shell. We managed to extract it with Telescience, which ruined the telescience chamber. Over the next 30 minutes, we slowly broke it out of its constantly shifting shell of debris and moved it and its wave of destruction up through old arrivals and out into space.

Science is wonderful :science:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Or someone makes 20 securitrons. Not that I've ever done that or anything.

Or buys 10 crates of monkeys and releases them around the station and then an unaware admin decides to spice the round up by gibbing all the life forms without checking how many of them there are, exactly.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

There was a round a while back where a borg(I think faffotron?) went around the station releasing smoke that covered everything in blood, gibs, and I think cheese and maybe one other thing. All the thousands of extra entities began lagging everything to poo poo so badly that an admin had to come around and delete them all, section by section. Just having that many entities though really ground the game to a near standstill.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

dogstile posted:

Yeah, its probably just all the stories of badmins getting to me. I really enjoy the game so when I play it I always second guess myself. There was a time where a guy on meth wouldn't stop punching me (i was nearing death) so I shoved him down a disposals chute. I didn't realise he was drunk and he staggered into the crushers. Its things like that where I second guess myself because poo poo, was he a traitor? Was he not? Was that too overzealous? Etcetera
I suppose you guys at least ask us why we did what we did, so I should probably relax.

You *probably* won't ever get banned for playing in good faith, as long as you're willing to give a quick reply if an admin asks why you did something. Flushing dudes down disposals is dangerous and will likely generate a complaint to adminhelp, but if they were being jerks and the person we contact has a reasonable attitude and/or excuse, gently caress it.

There's been an ongoing internal discussion about things like that. A lot of us were definitely getting too harsh on basic petty mischief and using far too hostile of a tone for dealing with people who were getting up to mischief in a goofy spaceman game, and we've been generally trying to chill the gently caress out on that front. Kinda silly considering that pretty much the entire admin staff originally got lured into the game with the promise of griefing the poo poo out of some nerds in space.

Things that seriously disrupt the game (intentional huge fires, bombing sprees, murdering random passerby just to be a dick, bigotry, sexual creepiness, cheating, etc) will still incur wrath, but a lot of smaller things are best left to players to deal with. Still worth adminhelping things of course, so we can observe and decide if any intervention is needed or if a simple "hey, can you chill out a bit" would suffice. Usually it does.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Spaceking posted:

Basically you just keep clicking away until your input goes through and then curse extravagantly when your input goes through more than once.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Klayboxx posted:

Basically you just keep clicking away until your input goes through and then curse extravagantly when your input goes through more than once.

This is why I'm glad you drop finished pipe bombs automatically. "You attach the device to the hollowed out pipe. Switch pressed, detonation in five seconds."

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
I Fondly remember when I ruined a telescience expedition (as a traitor) The ice moon had just been released so nerds from every corner would loot eva and gently caress off to the ice moon for rounds on end, making the round slow and boring usually. I bided my time and brooded and waited...

Till i was actually a traitor. Now initially i thought it might be funny to destroy the console before anyone could use it, but that seemed sorta lame.. instead, I organised the expedition myself, grabbing supplies and spacesuits, letting everyone in and being super helpful and nice! I even told them i'd teleport them all onto the ice moon before me and sit by the console if they wanted beaming back.

I beamed a good 14? or so people to the ice moon, and Told them to stand near the spawn spot so they could grab some supplies i was sending over in the crate. I spawned two syndicate pipebombs, put mousetraps on them, locked them in the crate, then beamed the crate down. I can only imagine The carnage that followed. I destroyed the telesci computer with syndicools after, to make sure the expedition was definitely ruined. It was

It's always way more fun to be a sneaky jerk

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That is just fantastically assholish. I bow to your superior griff, goon sir.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Surgery is fun. You can be pulling bullets out of someone's gut one minute, and then cutting off a man's buttocks the next.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

If you fill yourself / get full of staples / shrapnel / bullets before your microbomb goes off you can send that poo poo right back.

How did I not know this earlier... :getin:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I wonder if you could fill bombs with styptic fluid to have heal grenades.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Spaceking posted:

I wonder if you could fill bombs with styptic fluid to have heal grenades.

I don't think gas actually topically applies... It works with synthflesh though.

A stypic gas-bomb would be (lovely) poison because injecting people with stypic is mildly toxic.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Motherfucker posted:

I don't think gas actually topically applies... It works with synthflesh though.

A stypic gas-bomb would be (lovely) poison because injecting people with stypic is mildly toxic.

Hm, too bad there isn't a syrette launcher... or a blunderbuss.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Spaceking posted:

Hm, too bad there isn't a syrette launcher... or a blunderbuss.

The first one exists or can be cludged if you're a non traitor the second idea can be achieved with a few items but likely requires telescience and isn't worth the effort.

If you want remote injection, bake a hypospray pie or an igniter beaker assembly. If you want remote topical, throw a glass of chems.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

If you want remote injection, bake a hypospray pie.

You'd have to emag it first, right?

• Locked thread