Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is pampers one of the brands you tried? They are far superior to every other one I've tried. Costco diapers suck, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

greatn posted:

Is pampers one of the brands you tried? They are far superior to every other one I've tried. Costco diapers suck, unfortunately.

It's funny how personal diaper choices end up. We hated Pampers, because they gave my daughter a rash and didn't seem to absorb as well, and used Costco almost exclusively.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

greatn posted:

Pampers is the brand we've been using/are still using!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chandrika posted:

It's funny how personal diaper choices end up. We hated Pampers, because they gave my daughter a rash and didn't seem to absorb as well, and used Costco almost exclusively.

It is weird, ours was the exact opposite, with the Costco ones always blowing out and giving a rash. On the bright side if you run Costco brand diapers through a Britta it's actually grey goose vodka.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

raaaan posted:

I don't want to drop money on a prime account only for them to refuse to ship to me-

You should be able to sign up for amazon mom and get prime free for 6 months?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

raaaan posted:

I'm going to check in with my post office about how they handle Amazon deliveries--I live in Canada in a log cabin with a tin roof in a historical village that doesn't have local mail distribution--we all have PO boxes at the post office, and while they do accept packages for us, a lot of online stores will not ship to PO boxes as a matter of principal. I don't want to drop money on a prime account only for them to refuse to ship to me--I can certainly just leave my box number off the package, but there is a chance that someone else with my very common last name in town will end up with the package, OR, the package notice will end up in the right box with an angry letter from the post office reminding us to add the box number when ordering things and to stop making everyone sorting the mail's job harder. There are only three employees and they are all 50+ years old, so I feel bad. :(

Contact Amazon and ask. They have human beings that you can telephone, which is pretty nice.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My son is 18 months old, is 30lbs and is 34" tall. He wears a size 5, but can also get away with wearing a size 4. If anything I guess try the night time diapers for heavy wetters that can be worn 12 hours. We use Target diapers and in a pinch use Huggies as Pampers don't work well for my son's build.

e: are you using a diaper with an elastic/cinched back? We can't use anything that doesn't have that in the back.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 5, 2014

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I don't know if they ship to Canada, but we LOVE The Honest Company diapers. They hold more pee than anything else we've tried and don't give any funky rashes (and my son gets rashes from looking too hard at Huggies).

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
At what age did you let your baby try eating actual pieces of food, instead of mashing everything up? My 7 month old is really interested in food and the times we've tried letting her gnaw on bits of soft fruit and boiled veg, or fed her tiny pieces of chicken or fish, she's enjoyed herself greatly, but I freak out when she eventually bites off a too large piece and starts gagging, to the point where I'm now fearful of giving her anything she might choke on - but I don't want to feed her purees until she starts preschool. I know that babies are designed to effectively expel pieces of food that get lodged in the wrong place precicely because they do that a lot until they learn how to chew and swallow, and I've read up on and watched videos of infant CPR, but I keep imagining a worst case scenario where she chokes on something that I can't get out and I just end up feeding her something mashed just to be on the safe side.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sockmuppet posted:

At what age did you let your baby try eating actual pieces of food, instead of mashing everything up? My 7 month old is really interested in food and the times we've tried letting her gnaw on bits of soft fruit and boiled veg, or fed her tiny pieces of chicken or fish, she's enjoyed herself greatly, but I freak out when she eventually bites off a too large piece and starts gagging, to the point where I'm now fearful of giving her anything she might choke on - but I don't want to feed her purees until she starts preschool. I know that babies are designed to effectively expel pieces of food that get lodged in the wrong place precicely because they do that a lot until they learn how to chew and swallow, and I've read up on and watched videos of infant CPR, but I keep imagining a worst case scenario where she chokes on something that I can't get out and I just end up feeding her something mashed just to be on the safe side.

Gagging isn't choking.

We started at 6 months. He didn't get purees until around 12 months when he was eating so much that we couldn't keep up, and giving him a jar of baby food was easier than cooking more.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We waited with both kids until they were a bit older, like 8-months, to start solids. By then they had dexterity to feed themselves, strength to sit up on their own in high chairs, and a bit more communication to let us know what was working. We started with super soft stuff like cottage cheese, smushed fruits, rice, etc. I actually haven't really done purees with my youngest, she just eats the softest stuff everyone else eats supplemented with stuff like banana and eggs.

And every kid gags, it's how they learn to do stuff like chew and swallow. If you are really freaked out about it, take a child CPR class. It will give you peace of mind beyond the dining table.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
We've been giving our 7-month-old little bits of softer food for about 2 weeks now. He definitely gags once in a while but that's pretty normal. He's just learning how to get his tongue in the right place to mush stuff. My wife also gave him a bit of (carefully deboned) fish, berries, applesauce, and other stuff like that. She also makes her own purees when she has time but otherwise just gives him bottled stuff.

One thing we got so he can practice grabbing without worrying about choking is a little soother-like thing with a mesh on it - you load it with banana or some other mushy thing and they can grab the ring and just suck the fruit through the mesh. I forget what it's called but I'm sure you could find in your local baby store / toys r us.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
^ Thanks, VorpalBunny and Kalenn! We have one of those mesh feeders, she loves it!

Papercut posted:

Gagging isn't choking.

Yeah, I know, I'm just a worrier in general and this is my worry de jour. It doesn't help that she tends to hoard bits of food in her cheeks like a squirrel, so when she finally tries to swallow, she's built up this massive ball that goes nowhere. But she has to learn how not to do that, and I have to learn not to worry that she'll keel over dead from eating, and it helps hearing from other people that their babies figured out food just fine :)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sockmuppet posted:

^ Thanks, VorpalBunny and Kalenn! We have one of those mesh feeders, she loves it!

Yeah, I know, I'm just a worrier in general and this is my worry de jour. It doesn't help that she tends to hoard bits of food in her cheeks like a squirrel, so when she finally tries to swallow, she's built up this massive ball that goes nowhere. But she has to learn how not to do that, and I have to learn not to worry that she'll keel over dead from eating, and it helps hearing from other people that their babies figured out food just fine :)

Glad to help :sun:

My youngest guy does the squirrel thing too. If it gets too silly and starts running out of his mouth my wife or I just sticks a finger or a spoon in there and sweeps it out (same thing with our older guy when he was the same age) but otherwise it's never been a problem.

It can definitely be scary the first time they take a piece of something and immediately jam it down the wrong pipe but in general, unless they a) have an allergic reaction or b) the piece is actually physically too large for their windpipe (un-quartered carrots or bananas) the risk of choking to the point of air loss is actually pretty small.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Haha, the worst so far was actually when she was eating porridge and did some sort of combination spit-up/cough/sneeze that resulted in porridge shooting out of her nose, and since babies are big fans of nosebreathing, she immediately tried breathing in, and clogged her nose up good and proper, and instead of just breathing through her mouth, she kept trying to breathe through her nose and got more and more panicky, poor thing. Eventually a light bulb went off, and she took a deep breath through her mouth and started screaming bloody murder. I ended up having to use one of those snot-suckers to clear her nose of porridge while she wailed and thrashed around. I wasn't scared, since I knew she had free airways through her mouth, but seeing her so distressed for those moments when she tried breathing but couldn't, just about broke my heart.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

My 'favourite' is when the little guy eats too much because he hasn't learned how to decide he's full and I wasn't paying close enough attention and then he barfs and his food pours down his bib like a stream of lava. While this happens, he just stares at me with eyes like dinner plates - no crying, just surprise. :cripes:

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Rory got his hips x-rayed today! It was super quick and easy. He was a bit upset, but the techs are pros, and it was all over and done with in about 5 minutes.

10 months old now. He's pulling himself up to stand so he can look out the window. He'll be walking in no time. Kind of terrifying.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Dandy Shrew posted:

Rory got his hips x-rayed today! It was super quick and easy. He was a bit upset, but the techs are pros, and it was all over and done with in about 5 minutes.

Can I ask why he needed the x-ray?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What are the use-cases for those Baby Bjorn carriers? I really like carrying my 2-month old around the house in one, but outside the house (for example, grocery store), I don't see it feasible. Do you just remove kid from car seat, slap them in it, and do your thing?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I wore my kid constantly out of the house. I hated dealing with strollers. To me, they felt like more of a burden than a help. Bjorns are kind of crappy as baby-carriers go. They don't support the babies legs well, and after a certain weight is reached it becomes uncomfortable for the wearer too because your center of balance is thrown off, especially if you do the facing-out thing. I started with a moby, which is a stretchy wrap type thing that has a bit of a learning curve and becomes useless after 12-15 pounds because the kid will sag a lot. It was a nice thing for the newborn stage though. Ergos are a buckle carrier and are pretty ubiquitous these days. Pretty much all the baby stores and target will have them, and you can often find them cheap at TJ Maxx or Marshalls or on the deal sites like babysteals. They're slightly more expensive than Bjorns from what I've seen, but I could also use it until my kid was around 2 years old.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

We've enjoyed ours quite a bit through two kids. It's nice when you don't want or need the stroller for carrying capacity, like going to the park or whatever. In the summer, we just leave the kids' feet hanging out so they can kick. Tougher in the winter with snow suits and such but still ok. We were ok using it until around when the baby was old enough to walk - then they got too heavy. 22-23 lbs or so. We found it much easier to wear once adjusted properly - you should adjust the position of the back plate on the shoulder bands so that it sits right int he small of your back then get the side straps as tight as possible - this gets more of the weight on your hips and makes it easier to use it longer. If you don't get it in tight the weight sits too low and too far out and it's much harder to use. For context, my 4'10 90 lb wife was totally fine carrying our 20lb kid around in it for a couple hours once in a while.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

Do you just remove kid from car seat, slap them in it, and do your thing?

Yep. (Well, I had a Babyhawk mei tai, but it's the same idea.) Until my son was about fifteen months old, that's how he went to church with me; after that he was too squirmy for me to comfortably wear him for that long. I was able to eke out another three months or so of wearing him when I picked up lunch to bring home (or during similarly brief errands) by asking him if I could wear him as my backpack for a while. I know it would have to have been possible to do errands with him in a stroller or just carrying him, but I can't imagine it - it was just so easy to park at a store, get him tied onto my chest or back (depending), do whatever, pull him out of the mei tai, plop him back in the car seat, go somewhere else, repeat.

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
I use a carrier for grocery shopping. He is too little to sit up in the trolley, if he was in the body of the trolley in a carrier there would be no room for groceries, and if I had to push the stroller I couldn't use a trolley at all. He loves it, he always falls asleep at the supermarket.

I also use it around the house if he's having a clingy day.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I carry my kids everywhere. Started out with a moby wrap then moved up to an ergo, then finally to a frame hiking backpack. The little ones love the closeness and the motion and your smell and warmth. He'll, who wouldn't want to be snuggled all day.

Even better if you can get 'em on your back. Then you have your hands free to do dishes or vacuum or anything other than sitting.

Also, about diapers above, I'm a big fan of the diapers.com house brand.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I loved the carrier because you could go anywhere with it. Not everyplace is stroller friendly, so with a carrier I had the freedom to go down every little gravel footpath in a botanical garden, or ride public transport in Chicago for example (good luck finding a station with a working elevator on the CTA). Plus strollers take up a shitton of room in situations where there are a lot of people like zoos and festivals and the like, so situations where I'd sometimes be stuck behind a bigass group of people trying to force an opening for the stroller, instead I could just slip right through with the baby on me. I will admit there were also plenty of times when I used the carrier just because the thought of getting the stroller in and out of the car was too much for me that day.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A stroller is easier however when the baby is still small enough for the detachable car seats. Just pop em out and on to the stroller or straight onto the shopping cart.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Can I ask why he needed the x-ray?

Just because I had hip issues as a kid, they wanted to rule out hereditary problems. He's been fine, though :)

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks for all the use-cases on the baby carrying.

I double checked what type of carrier we use, and it's an Ergo, so that's a plus. Getting her in and out is super easy.

I'm guessing I'll use it a bit more when she's older, as leaving her in the carseat and attaching her to the stroller (car seat snaps right in) is a lot easier than removing her small 11lb body out of the car seat.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

Ron Jeremy posted:

A stroller is easier however when the baby is still small enough for the detachable car seats. Just pop em out and on to the stroller or straight onto the shopping cart.

I hope you meant into the shopping cart. Car seats should never be on top of the cart.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I wish I'd known about that when my son was little. I saw that video of the car seat falling off the cart, and that totally could've been him :( Most of the shopping carts in our area don't say not to do it, so we had no clue. I read the manual before he was born, but apparently that part just slipped right out of my head.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

lady flash posted:

I hope you meant into the shopping cart. Car seats should never be on top of the cart.

Yes! In! My bad.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

This is kind of what I meant by not being able to imagine doing errands without the mei tai - we didn't have a stroller initially (because the mei tai was so convenient), and then when we did, the prospect of lifting a 15-pound car seat plus however many pounds of baby out of the base and wrestling it into the stroller was really unappealing. Even when I was flying with him by myself, it was always easier for me to take him out of the seat, put him in the mei tai, move the car seat into or out of the stroller, take him out of the mei tai, and then put him back in the seat, rather than transfer him and the seat as a unit, even though writing it out makes it sound like three times as much work.

As far as grocery shopping goes, I had exactly annaconda's problem: if I wasn't wearing him, I either had to have him in the basket of the cart (where all the food needed to go) or I had to have a stroller and no cart (where all the food needed to go). So even if I'd liked the process of getting him and his seat in and out of the stroller, wearing him would have been better for me for getting groceries. (The one time I mentioned to another parent with the same exact car seat I had, "Hey, I have that seat too, and the manual specifically says not to put it on top of shopping carts since it isn't designed for it," the response was a hostile glare and "Whatever." I haven't been brave enough to mention it to any of the other dozens of parents I see doing it.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ive started to see shopping carts that have a car seat hook up where the seat normally is.
Like this: http://www.groceryheadquarters.com/2012/08/safe-dock-infant-car-seat/

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
That looks like it's still going to make the cart top-heavy and prone to flipping if it's bumped the wrong way.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have four, three of whom are three or under. I've pretty much given up on shopping with the kids, but if I have to, it's 3 year old walking, 16month in the shopping car seat, infant worn or in her car seat in the shopping cart.

Trying to avoid shopping with the kids has forced me to be a better meal planner and gets me some time away from them which is like a mini vacation.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Dandy Shrew posted:

Just because I had hip issues as a kid, they wanted to rule out hereditary problems. He's been fine, though :)

Glad to hear.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I never noticed it before having a baby, but my local kmart plays an announcement over the store speakers periodically which asks parents to ensure that their kids aren't climbing on the shopping carts, because they've had kids fall in the store that have needed to be taken to hospital :(

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

So, I have an 11 month old who has had a cold for pretty much the past 4-5 months, with only small breaks of health. For the most part, she is perfectly fine and other than an occasional cough and a constantly runny nose, she acts like nothing is bothering her. The problem is that she vomits...constantly.

She goes to bed around 8:00pm and usually while drinking her milk, she'll vomit. She wakes up at 2:00am and wants a bottle, more often than not, she'll vomit. She usually does ok after breakfast, but will usually vomit after eating lunch, and almost always does after dinner. It's insanely frustrating and the doctors refuse to give us anything to treat her respiratory infection...but I feel horrible watching her vomit (often projectile) multiple times a day.

Has anyone dealt with this, or have any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to help her?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i have two kids under 5 year old. I love them both dearly but sometimes I WANT TO SLAP THE EVERLIVING poo poo OUT OF THEM

never have, never will but boy do they know how to piss me off sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Acrolos posted:

So, I have an 11 month old who has had a cold for pretty much the past 4-5 months, with only small breaks of health. For the most part, she is perfectly fine and other than an occasional cough and a constantly runny nose, she acts like nothing is bothering her. The problem is that she vomits...constantly.

She goes to bed around 8:00pm and usually while drinking her milk, she'll vomit. She wakes up at 2:00am and wants a bottle, more often than not, she'll vomit. She usually does ok after breakfast, but will usually vomit after eating lunch, and almost always does after dinner. It's insanely frustrating and the doctors refuse to give us anything to treat her respiratory infection...but I feel horrible watching her vomit (often projectile) multiple times a day.

Has anyone dealt with this, or have any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to help her?

Our older son had the vomiting issue - there's a great picture of him barfing down the back of my shirt because I put him on my shoulders right after a meal. Our doctor basically said we shouldn't worry unless he demonstrated symptoms that suggested it was a deeper problem like weight loss (or insufficient weight gain), blood in the vomit, or listlessness, stopped pooping regularly (which might suggest a blockage). It eventually went away around when he turned one. If you're really concerned or the vomiting is disruptive, maybe ask for a referral to a pediatric GI.

Re: the respiratory issue, unless its bacterial (pneumonia) or parasitic, it's just something that most kids need to go through. It's not much fun but it strengthens their immune system and ultimately isn't harmful.