Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichini Sanshigo
Nov 22, 2011
McKenzie, the one who got shot by Huntress and who had to leave town for rehab or something.

One the whole, I enjoyed the episode, and Laurel's blunt drunk-truths were entertaining, as was Nyssa, who was just generally awesome. That said, the thing with Moira really bothered me. So Felicity does some unsolicited digging and discovers the Moira has used her secret fund to pay off (not kill), a doctor, and she Sherlocks that Thea is actually Merlin's daughter. She then confronts Moira with this info wanting to know why she hasn't told... Ollie? Not why she hasn't told Thea, who is the actual involved party and the one who may actually be in danger, but loving Ollie?

Moira basically warns her to stay out of their private family business, but Felicity goes and tells Oliver anyway, and everyone is all self-righteously angry at Moira but it cannot possibly be because she (very loving sensibly) kept this info a secret from blackmailing, homicidal Merlin and her irresponsible husband and children, because both Felicity and Ollie agree that of course Thea ~can never know~.

So either they're hypocritically mad that Moira didn't tell Ollie, or they're self-righteously judgy about her reproductive choices, which, despite Oliver being her son, are still none of his business.

I would be less irked by this whole situation if at any point, any of these people gave a flying gently caress about telling the one person actually affected by this. Like if Ollie had demanded that Moira tell Thea immediately or else he'll do it, but that didn't happen. Instead he acts as though he's the one who has been betrayed. Ugh, gently caress the patriarchy, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ichini Sanshigo posted:

One the whole, I enjoyed the episode, and Laurel's blunt drunk-truths were entertaining, as was Nyssa, who was just generally awesome. That said, the thing with Moira really bothered me. So Felicity does some unsolicited digging and discovers the Moira has used her secret fund to pay off (not kill), a doctor, and she Sherlocks that Thea is actually Merlin's daughter. She then confronts Moira with this info wanting to know why she hasn't told... Ollie? Not why she hasn't told Thea, who is the actual involved party and the one who may actually be in danger, but loving Ollie?

Felicity is petty and obsessed with Ollie. It's completely in character.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Some Numbers posted:

You know that Felicity is going to be PISSED when she finds out he hooked up with Sara.

Probably on her desk, no less! :drat:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Kingtheninja posted:

Manu Bennett probably feels weird in a suit.

The suit probably feels weird trying to hold him all in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Habibi posted:

The suit probably feels weird trying to hold him all in.

Their suit budget for him is astronomical because he keeps busting out of them Incredible Hulk style. Just doing a scene and BAM suit is in shreds.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stephen Amell posted:

For everyone asking, we're taking a mini hiatus so people can grit their teeth and suffer through an Olympic games marred by homophobia and mediocre levels of public interest. Back February 26th.

Stephen Amell continues to be awesome. :allears:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Stephen Amell continues to be awesome. :allears:

Homophobia and mediocre levels of interest are the least of their problems. I'm waiting for foundations to start cracking and venues to begin collapsing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Habibi posted:

Homophobia and mediocre levels of interest are the least of their problems. I'm waiting for foundations to start cracking and venues to begin collapsing.

It can not be that bad. Oh wait its worse
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...iences/?hpid=z8

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Amell just posted this spoiler-filled video for the episode after the break: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=358228554315183.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Klungar posted:

Amell just posted this spoiler-filled video for the episode after the break: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=358228554315183.

I came here to post that! It all looks awesome but I can't wait for this moment:

Notice where the booze is. Also, Ollie's "thrust into an uncomfortable situation" face is his best face

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

York_M_Chan posted:

I came here to post that! It all looks awesome but I can't wait for this moment:

Notice where the booze is. Also, Ollie's "thrust into an uncomfortable situation" face is his best face

Best attention to detail who doesn't have alcohol in-front of them

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Avulsion posted:

^^That explains why the Arrow and the Canary just happened to be riding along on a motorcycle and randomly attack a passing van.

Yeah, I think it was a poor decision to cut the scene because it made ^^this^^ scene come out of nowhere with absolutely no context.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

No, man. I'm waiting for, eg, the practice fink to implode.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Hahaha Nyssa is so hosed up in the head. Jesus christ I was getting chills because I've known people like that. Well, not the badass assassin stuff, just the psychotic obsession bit.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

York_M_Chan posted:

I'm hoping Steven can channel Aaron Paul for the amount of awkward necessary for this scene.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So Oliver, you're totally about to tell your mother you're the Arrow, right? I mean, being so mad about her lies and not knowing who she is any more must obviously give way to the same kind of brutal honestly.

This better be a plot point because seriously. Never mind Laurel being mad at Sarah, that's the kind of superhero hypocrisy I want to bitch about.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kibayasu posted:

So Oliver, you're totally about to tell your mother you're the Arrow, right? I mean, being so mad about her lies and not knowing who she is any more must obviously give way to the same kind of brutal honestly.

This better be a plot point because seriously. Never mind Laurel being mad at Sarah, that's the kind of superhero hypocrisy I want to bitch about.

Why would he tell her? He knows that she was allied with the Black Arrow.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I simply find it hard to take a scene seriously where someone makes a big dramatic speech about finding out a lie about someone that completely changes their entire perspective on a person close to them while lying about their own secret that would completely change someone's perspective of themselves.

Edit: Unless that scene is purposefully turned on its head later, than I can at least like it retroactively.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 6, 2014

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I simply find it hard to take a scene seriously where someone makes a big dramatic speech about finding out a lie about someone that completely changes their entire perspective on a person close to them while lying about their own secret that would completely change someone's perspective of themselves.

Edit: Unless that scene is purposefully turned on its head later, than I can at least like it retroactively.

In Ollie's mind his lie is justified because he is a "good guy"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Man, that was a good episode. The airport scene was great, except for the TSA agent who walked up and put the gun to Nyssa's head. Like... what did you think would happen? Regardless, he got dumpstered, so I'm cool with that. Katrina Law killed Nyssa, and all of her scenes were superb. Plus that costume. I'm looking forward to seeing her return. Her whole freeing Sara of her oath thing suggests that the next time we see her, she might not be an antagonist. Such as working to take down Merlyn.

And count me as one of the people swayed by bitchy Laurel tonight. I think she's riding the self destruction train wreck all the way down, and I'm hoping that her vindictiveness leads her right to Slade and getting juiced up. Cassidy sold the anger enough to make me cheer for her when she chucked her empty glass at the door. This was after I had rolled my eyes at the "I hallucinated Sara! Isn't that wonderful?" moment.

Detective Lance continues to be one of the most grounded and centering character to watch. He and Diggle should hang out sometime. I know I said he was the least attractive when asked, but that doesn't make him any less of a great character. And (previews)[/spoiler]him having just a glass of water at the dinner table is such a small detail but really speaks volume to how good they are at characterizing, and just how deep his character goes[/spoiler]. Paul Blackthorn's screentime is never dull, and Arrow keeps delivering. (This goes for all the second-string characters, but as Roy/Sin/Thea weren't featured in this episode, I won't go swooning over them.)

Someone mentioned it being a bit strange that Lance didn't make a bigger deal about his daughter coming out about having a lesbian relationship with a psychotic assassin, but I think you have bigger fish to fry than getting hung up on who your daughter chooses to sleep with. Such as how do we stop said psychotic assassin who also is a jilted lover? His, "Oh. ...so what do we do now?" seemed about right for someone like him.

Arrow having great action isn't a shocker to anyone, but special mention to the Nyssa vs Oliver exchange at the end. I can't put my finger on it, but something about the LoA villains just brings the fights up a notch. Maybe its them having the same 'skill level' as Oliver? Cyrus Gold was super strong and hard to hurt, but he's a brawler, and that doesn't lend itself well to pretty fights. Merlyn, Nyssa, Sarah, Oliver, and heck Slade are all really well trained as fighters, so their fights all have a natural fluidity to them. I think it's where the fight choreography really shines, because they should look choreographed.

And finally we arrive at the end. Sarah and Oliver putting an arrow in the quiver (:pervert:) does three things to make me super happy. One, it cements the "Green Arrow/Black Canary" relationship. Two, it gives Caity Lotz more screen time in the present. Island Sarah is great and all, but I really want to see more of her on a salmon ladder and beating the poo poo out of bad people with her staff. And three, it torpedoes the gently caress out of that Olicity ship.

It was like a million shippers cried out in terror, and flowed forth a river of delicious tears. :unsmigghh:
That, plus my hope and prayer of Laurel becoming a supervillain in the future inching closer with each breakdown, and I can't wait for the Olympic train wreck to finish. The 26th can't come fast enough.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

York_M_Chan posted:

In Ollie's mind his lie is justified because he is a "good guy"

I get that, I just hope the show does and expected the audience to have the same reaction I'm having.

For example, in another show I watch called Justified, the main character recently served an order to remove a child from a house he was living in that he actually rightly should have been removed from. But the character didn't serve that order for the child's sake, but in a small hope to provoke the older brothers (some of the villains of the current season) of the kid into a fight so he could justifiably shoot them in self defence, with the kid still present. Several other examples of this kind of behaviour have happened throughout the current season (and, in fact, started at the very end of the previous season) and it was becoming increasingly difficult to believe the character was still the hero and not someone sliding to being a corrupt jaded cop. The show did acknowledge that using the law to break the law is, in fact, a Bad Thing the main character is doing however. Concealing your secret superhero identity while pontificating about the importance of honestly isn't quite on the same level as wilfully putting a kid in mortal danger to satisfy a sense of justice/revenge but its still something that is going to annoy me unless the show is doing it for a point.

Warmachine posted:

Man, that was a good episode. The airport scene was great, except for the TSA agent who walked up and put the gun to Nyssa's head. Like... what did you think would happen? Regardless, he got dumpstered, so I'm cool with that. Katrina Law killed Nyssa, and all of her scenes were superb. Plus that costume. I'm looking forward to seeing her return. Her whole freeing Sara of her oath thing suggests that the next time we see her, she might not be an antagonist. Such as working to take down Merlyn.

Someone needs to tell Father Lance the advantage of guns as well, he put his gun right up against Nyssa's chest too. I also don't think any of those no-name law enforcement agents actually got killed this week! One got stabbed but just in the arm and I think the guy who got wrapped up in the queue strap just got disabled too.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 6, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Warmachine posted:

Someone mentioned it being a bit strange that Lance didn't make a bigger deal about his daughter coming out about having a lesbian relationship with a psychotic assassin, but I think you have bigger fish to fry than getting hung up on who your daughter chooses to sleep with. Such as how do we stop said psychotic assassin who also is a jilted lover? His, "Oh. ...so what do we do now?" seemed about right for someone like him.

I agree with this, but would like to also point out that this is still reasonably shortly after his (presumed dead) daughter returned to him at all, and as a similar (if not bigger) killer than the Vigilante in season 1. Sarah having a lesbian relationship is so much smaller a deal than any part of this, there's no reason he should freak out about it.

quote:

Arrow having great action isn't a shocker to anyone, but special mention to the Nyssa vs Oliver exchange at the end. I can't put my finger on it, but something about the LoA villains just brings the fights up a notch. Maybe its them having the same 'skill level' as Oliver? Cyrus Gold was super strong and hard to hurt, but he's a brawler, and that doesn't lend itself well to pretty fights. Merlyn, Nyssa, Sarah, Oliver, and heck Slade are all really well trained as fighters, so their fights all have a natural fluidity to them. I think it's where the fight choreography really shines, because they should look choreographed.

Absolutely, agreed 100%. The action in this episode was so on point, it's fantastic.

quote:

And finally we arrive at the end. Sarah and Oliver putting an arrow in the quiver (:pervert:) does three things to make me super happy. One, it cements the "Green Arrow/Black Canary" relationship. Two, it gives Caity Lotz more screen time in the present. Island Sarah is great and all, but I really want to see more of her on a salmon ladder and beating the poo poo out of bad people with her staff. And three, it torpedoes the gently caress out of that Olicity ship.

:laffo: No it doesn't. It really, really doesn't.

EDIT: I mean poo poo, it's still extremely likely that Sarah's going to die.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 6, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Anyone who thinks that the Olicity ship has sailed (:haw:) is deluding themselves or hasn't experienced how crazy fans can get about their headcanon relationships.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Putting one character with someone else only tends to accelerate shippers.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Even more ridiculous was that Ollie was furious at her for keeping the secret from Thea.... and then proceeds to promise that he'll keep it a secret too? :confused:

If it's a secret that Moira absolutely should have told Thea because she deserves to know and keeping the secret makes Moira a horrible person, why the hell would Ollie keep it? Be mad about the secret and tell Thea the secret as a result, or be indifferent to the secret and don't tell Thea. Ollie's reaction just made no sense, even when ignoring the hypocrisy with the Arrow identity thing.

Besides, while Moira and papa Queen should have told Thea long ago, Moira's actions are understandable. Thea thought her biodad died at sea when she was very young. Telling her while she was young while the event was still fresh would have been incredibly traumatizing. Then she becomes old enough to deal with it, but then it turns out her actual father, Malcolm Merlin, is a mass-murdering lunatic. Also incredibly traumatizing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oliver and Moira's secrets are slightly different. Oliver is a hero who saved hundreds are lives from the earthquake machine, Moira cheated on her husband and had a child with a super villain who murdered 503 people.

Shakugan posted:

Even more ridiculous was that Ollie was furious at her for keeping the secret from Thea.... and then proceeds to promise that he'll keep it a secret too? :confused:

If it's a secret that Moira absolutely should have told Thea because she deserves to know and keeping the secret makes Moira a horrible person, why the hell would Ollie keep it? Be mad about the secret and tell Thea the secret as a result, or be indifferent to the secret and don't tell Thea. Ollie's reaction just made no sense, even when ignoring the hypocrisy with the Arrow identity thing.

Besides, while Moira and papa Queen should have told Thea long ago, Moira's actions are understandable. Thea thought her biodad died at sea when she was very young. Telling her while she was young while the event was still fresh would have been incredibly traumatizing. Then she becomes old enough to deal with it, but then it turns out her actual father, Malcolm Merlin, is a mass-murdering lunatic. Also incredibly traumatizing.

Your third paragraph answers you complaint in your second paragraph. Oliver's not going to tell Thea because it would be loving devastating.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Oliver and Moira's secrets are slightly different. Oliver is a hero who saved hundreds are lives from the earthquake machine, Moira cheated on her husband and had a child with a super villain who murdered 503 people.

Your third paragraph answers you complaint in your second paragraph. Oliver's not going to tell Thea because it would be loving devastating.

Yes, but my point is that if he thinks that, he can't really hold the secret keeping against Moira. I'd understand Ollie being angry at Moira because of what she did, but here Ollie is angry at her for keeping the secret. A secret, which if he's choosing not to tell Thea because it would be devastating, he is implicitly agreeing that Moira was right in not telling Thea.. the very thing he's supposedly angry about.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I was actually amazed that Moira Queen didn't kill Felicity with a fireplace poker right then and there at the Queen Estate.

Moira Queen for Mayor. Uttering threats when you were still in diapers. #VoteQUEEN

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shakugan posted:

Yes, but my point is that if he thinks that, he can't really hold the secret keeping against Moira. I'd understand Ollie being angry at Moira because of what she did, but here Ollie is angry at her for keeping the secret. A secret, which if he's choosing not to tell Thea because it would be devastating, he is implicitly agreeing that Moira was right in not telling Thea.. the very thing he's supposedly angry about.

Honestly, I think part of it is him not-so-subtly implying that it's not his secret to tell. Chances are he's going to wind up telling Thea later - or worse, Merlyn will - but realistically, Moira should be the one to tell Thea the truth.

It'll be interesting to see where the writers go with this.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shakugan posted:

She should have told her before her father was murdered by her biological father, who then murdered 503 more people.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

She should have told her before her father was murdered by her biological father, who then murdered 503 more people.

I agree, but she was, what, 12 at the time? A lot of families with adopted children make the decision not to tell their children that they are adopted while they are still young. I think it's inadvisable to be sure, parents should always be open with their kids. Moira is undoubtedly a terrible person for having an affair with Malcom and MANY other things, but the specific issue of her not telling Thea isn't THAT big of an issue relative to all the other horrible stuff that Ollie already knows about.

Oh well, Moira for mayor! It's time for "us" to take the city back (says the billionaire).

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Moira was probably mad at Felicity because she found out Walter bought out the doctor instead of killing him like she was explicitly implying before.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Oracle posted:

Sarah's just as hosed up when it comes to relationships as Oliver. They are a match made in dysfunctional relationship heaven. Kind of makes Oliver's anger at his mom ring hollow when his own selfish acts wrt to his fiance and her sister put so much grief in motion. Granted there was no baby that came out of it but that's probably due more to luck than anything else.

No baby that we know of, she was on Ivo's Little Ship of Horrors for a year.

Ichini Sanshigo posted:

So either they're hypocritically mad that Moira didn't tell Ollie, or they're self-righteously judgy about her reproductive choices, which, despite Oliver being her son, are still none of his business.

I would be less irked by this whole situation if at any point, any of these people gave a flying gently caress about telling the one person actually affected by this. Like if Ollie had demanded that Moira tell Thea immediately or else he'll do it, but that didn't happen. Instead he acts as though he's the one who has been betrayed. Ugh, gently caress the patriarchy, man.

I don't think the secret itself was what tipped him over the edge, but the fact that if she could have been lying about that all this time, what else has she been lying about? Moira's been involved in a lot of shady stuff for god knows how long, but Oliver stood by her because he trusted her (or thought that he knew all her secrets). Now he knows he can't trust her, and he's wondering about her true role in the Undertaking, among other things.

Also Oliver is slightly crazy, in case the Robin Hood costume didn't clue you in.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

VagueRant posted:

I didn't really get what people have been talking about with Katie Cassidy's face, but it's really obvious in this episode. I assume it's just weight loss? It is odd.

Just to put this into concrete terms, at least, it has to do with the mandibular angle of Ms. Cassidy's jawbone. Most people have jaws shaped like this:

Katie's jaw looks like this:

When she had a bit more weight, it rounded out her face, but since she lost weight it's more obvious now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
All Moira had to say to Ollie about Thea was "Your father and I decided that we were going to tell Thea when she turned 21, so we all could be rational adults and have a real discussion about it. When the two of you died 6 years ago I decided that I was going to honor our decision and wait until then."

Ollie literally couldn't be mad about it after that.

Also, I agree with the Caity Lotz bad acting during the fight/chase scenes and holy poo poo especially the scene where the assassin poisons himself. "No! Don't yo-Don't you...!" Literally the worst acting in the episode.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Phylodox posted:

Just to put this into concrete terms, at least, it has to do with the mandibular angle of Ms. Cassidy's jawbone. Most people have jaws shaped like this:

Katie's jaw looks like this:

When she had a bit more weight, it rounded out her face, but since she lost weight it's more obvious now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

All Moira had to say to Ollie about Thea was "Your father and I decided that we were going to tell Thea when she turned 21, so we all could be rational adults and have a real discussion about it. When the two of you died 6 years ago I decided that I was going to honor our decision and wait until then."

Ollie literally couldn't be mad about it after that.

I don't see that happening. Ollie knows his father well enough that Moira's betrayal would have crushed him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

York_M_Chan posted:

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
poo poo, was I the only one who actually said "Oh come on!" in the end of last episode when Oliver grabs Sarah for some kissy kissy time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
What's going to be super awkward about the next episode is everyone asking why Oliver didn't come back with super acrobatic combat skills or why Sarah didn't just wash up on the island so they didn't have to invite a bunch of assassins into Starling City.

• Locked thread