Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

thats the gist of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Sochi Olympic Mascots
:killdozer::tubular::commissar::woof::happyelf:

Sochi Visitor Mascots
:catstare: :confuoot: :aaa: :cry: :magical:

Get both now for the low price of 3 lightbulbs + 1 doorknob S/H

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Preoptopus posted:

Its a Colani design.
I was trying to find out what the hell that was. All I got was "The Official Olympics Coach - it looks like a sea monster".

Toad on a Hat posted:

I always have this irrational fear that my fingers are going to be sliced off so I never go ice skating
A friend of mind got their hand run over by a skate at the local ice rink. They required microsurgery to fix a severed tendon.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

WebDog posted:

A friend of mind got their hand run over by a skate at the local ice rink. They required microsurgery to fix a severed tendon.

Just reading that sent shivers down my spine.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

abraham linksys posted:

:stare: I've never seen whatever this skiing event is before, is it just basically the super bumpy bits from motocross for 30 seconds with a backflip at the end? That owns

vvv well i'm not usually stuck in a hotel room when the olympics are on so i don't watch em often

This event can also be called the Kneefucker. Don't worry if you miss watching the competitors since they'll all be in wheelchairs in 15 years time with plenty of time to meet fans.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can someone post a picture of the tarps?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

sincx posted:

Just reading that sent shivers down my spine.

It keeps playing out in my head :gonk:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Alan Smithee posted:

It keeps playing out in my head :gonk:

*crunch*

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ZombieReagan posted:

People in D&D defend everything, surprised?
Well, they do when people take it on blind faith they do. I want to see what kind of arguments people are using to defend it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Toad on a Hat posted:

I always have this irrational fear that my fingers are going to be sliced off so I never go ice skating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyzW7KQ0eM

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is there any basis in these US claims of terrorism threats to flights to USSR or are the tubby fucks just poo poo stirring to score points against the old enemy?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

bones jones posted:

Sochi Sochi panic!

(has this joke been made??????????????)

Only 400 times so we've not quite reached sochiration point.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

WastedJoker posted:

Is there any basis in these US claims of terrorism threats to flights to USSR or are the tubby fucks just poo poo stirring to score points against the old enemy?

It's call the news blowing poo poo way out of proportion!

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

WastedJoker posted:

Well for one USSR hasn't existed in over 20 years

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

He survived it at least!

The team doctor (a medic with experience from Vietnam) ran out and pinched the gash in his carotid closed until it got stitched up.

Still makes me want to barf every time I see it, though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

weakness posted:

I know you western liberal pro-gay pigs just want to rob Sochi of its glory right now but they got a few things right! Like this, the classy Sochi Cultural Center. This building is awfully nice.

Wait a second, why can I see through it a little? Oh that's a painted tarp? Well lets check it out from the other side and OH GOD

Dear god. They're seriously dressing up wrecked crappy buildings so they look like actual buildings from a distance.

This entire event is like everything lovely about Russia coming to a head. The incompetence, the reckless kicking of the can down the curb that ensures no problem solving gets done ever, the corruption, the dangerous infrastructure, etc. The opposition to Putin couldn't have asked for a bigger humiliation. I imagine it's only going to get worse form here.

The transparent fake building with a little russian orthodox cross on top is also like a giant unintended political comment on the falsehood of Putin/Russia's 'traditional values' political xenophobia pandering. Look where those 'traditional values' got them. poo poo infrastructure, massive corruption swept under the carpet, and people put in danger by third-world poo poo like loving massive packs of feral dogs.

You know what Russians? Maybe you SHOULD let westerners tell you what to do rather than balk at 'western influence.' Because you're like a drunken child-beating hoarder dad who puts on his least-stained wife-beater shirt when social services comes around and throws a blanket over the pile of flammable junk in the middle of the entryway.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 7, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

czg posted:

I want to get off COMRADE PUTINS WILD RIDE

Then I got bored and couldn't be bothered doing any more.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Croccers posted:

Then I got bored and couldn't be bothered doing any more.

You'd make an excellent russian labourer.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Whenever people talk about terrorists from Dagestan, I keep seeing "Dogestan". The dogs are the terrorists.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Zemyla posted:

Whenever people talk about terrorists from Dagestan, I keep seeing "Dogestan". The dogs are the terrorists.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Australia's coverage of is shitter than the toilets in the hotels. They're banging on about how awesome Torah Bright is but psssh, actually showing it? Nah, watch some figure skating maybe if we put it up maybe later we dunno, two TV stations and 6 web streams... we're a bit packed so maybe we might show something later.
What are some streams/sites I can hit up? I want to see some of the Slopestyle.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It was doges that got the Jamaican Bobsleigh team to Sochi. Nobody could have known it would be dogs that would pour onto the track mid run and tear them to shreds.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Spacedad posted:

You know what Russians? Maybe you SHOULD let westerners tell you what to do rather than balk at 'western influence.' Because you're like a drunken child-beating hoarder dad who puts on his least-stained wife-beater shirt when social services comes around and throws a blanket over the pile of flammable junk in the middle of the entryway.

The two decades of authoritarian stockholm syndrome and a long proud tradition of daddy tsar cult gently caress up a country real good.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spacedad posted:

lol

remember when we killed over 100000 people for no discernible reason beyond funneling a couple trillion to defense contractor?

the only thing to reccomend about the us over russia is that we are a terrifyingly effective vampire. we can waste that much and commit that much evil and other countries are the ones who get buried in trash and stray dogs

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
land of the free gently caress you

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

SickZip posted:

lol

remember when we killed over 100000 people for no discernible reason beyond funneling a couple trillion to defense contractor?

the only thing to reccomend about the us over russia is that we are a terrifyingly effective vampire. we can waste that much and commit that much evil and other countries are the ones who get buried in trash and stray dogs

Quality political commentary and criticism of the United States and a good judge of how we compare to them.

Wait, no.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Croccers posted:

Australia's coverage of is shitter than the toilets in the hotels. They're banging on about how awesome Torah Bright is but psssh, actually showing it? Nah, watch some figure skating maybe if we put it up maybe later we dunno, two TV stations and 6 web streams... we're a bit packed so maybe we might show something later.
What are some streams/sites I can hit up? I want to see some of the Slopestyle.

I am also in Australia and would also like answers to this. Can't miss my curling :allears:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

SickZip posted:

lol

Russian 'traditional construction values' will not be encroached by your corrupt and decadent western homosexual load-bearing methods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEnj3lBENQc

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spacedad posted:

Dear god. They're seriously dressing up wrecked crappy buildings so they look like actual buildings from a distance.
This is done on urban construction sites all around the world, and lately anywhere the rich congregate so they don't have their appetite ruined by reality.

quote:

The US is a wealthy dad who keeps his parents, wife and kids locked up in a roach infested basement while he lives in a twenty bedroom mansion surrounded by a private golf course tended by unpaid trafficked foreigners.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Kudos to russia for the many Marcel Duchamp tribute art-installations. It was really a nice idea to build a monument to putin in a stack of bizarre dadaistically-useless toilets, since associating putin's face with a non-functioning toilet is something that already comes naturally.

The strongest art piece is this poignant comment on russia's oppressive anti-gay laws.

*waddles around drunkenly with pants around own ankles, followed by small army of barking stray dogs* "Arrrh rarrrgh, is traditional russian values...don't touch our children, dirty gay westerners...arrarrghhh" *shits self and falls face-down in one of two broken toilets; is covered up with a snow-colored tarp*

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 7, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The last time some Americans gave advice to the Russians, it didn't work out so well either and if anything paved the rise of Putin. Hopefully, they can get rid of him themselves.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Ardennes posted:

The last time some Americans gave advice to the Russians, it didn't work out so well either and if anything paved the rise of Putin. Hopefully, they can get rid of him themselves.

Hey, we've been mocking the idiots in our own government for very similar reasons. Hell, Bush Jr. played the 'GAYS ARE COMING FOR YOU' card as a major means of garnering support. He has a lot in common with the KGB scumfuck.

By 'western influence' I mean 'values' of the enlightenment that 'traditional russians' are trying to irrationally resist. Like freedom of speech. Or protecting sexual minorities. Or using actual working construction materials in buildings instead of stacking and plastering cinder blocks.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 7, 2014

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Spacedad posted:

Noble westerners had a chance to boycott the whole thing and passed. Let's not pretend anybody with any power and money actually wants to help improve situation in Russia.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Forgall posted:

Noble westerners had a chance to boycott the whole thing and passed. Let's not pretend anybody with any power and money actually wants to help improve situation in Russia.

Guess what! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/06/sochi-olympics-spectators_n_4737469.html

quote:

SOCHI, Russia (AP) — Olympic fans of the world, where are you?

Sochi is (more or less) ready for you to come to its Winter Games. Thousands of athletes, soldiers, journalists and herds of smiley volunteers are in place, eager to help.

So far, though, it seems like the only spectators milling about are Russian.

Dina Kobolenko is waiting for you at her tourist information stand near the Sochi train station, armed with maps of this subtropical resort on the Black Sea. She says that as of two days before the Games, she'd seen only a single foreigner — a South Korean. They couldn't understand each other, though, so had to communicate in sign language.

Fears about terrorism and the hassle of reaching Sochi from points abroad may be keeping some foreigners away — and undermining Vladimir Putin's plans to transform Sochi into a magnet for international tourism.

A train traveling between Olympic sites and downtown Sochi cheerily announces to visitors in English: "We wish you a pleasant journey!" But on a recent ride, its seats were half empty. And a sweep through four train cars found ... not a single foreign fan.

Not a boycott, but all the horrible things surrounding sochi have basically produced an effect identical to a boycott.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Spacedad posted:

Hey, we've been mocking the idiots in our own government for very similar reasons. Hell, Bush Jr. played the 'GAYS ARE COMING FOR YOU' card as a major means of garnering support. He has a lot in common with the KGB scumfuck.

By 'western influence' I mean 'values' of the enlightenment that 'traditional russians' are trying to irrationally resist. Like freedom of speech. Or using actual working construction materials in buildings instead of stacking and plastering cinder blocks.

I think it is just how it worked out, most people hate Putin at this point and know everything is extremely corrupt and shouldn't but he has a vast security apparatus so there isn't any way to get rid of him. Most Russians also would love to leave Russia behind forever but there are trapped there. I guess you could say there isn't much of a culture of challenging the state, but pretty much since recorded history in Russia that usually means very bad things for you.

This is the reason there is so much fatalism, depression and alcoholism.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
"All people, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, color, or creed, are delicious"

-- Olympic Doge Charter, Section Arf.13

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Spacedad posted:

A pier next to the America's Cup in San Francisco half-burned down a few months before the first event started. Once reconstruction began, a giant painted-on tarp showing an outline of what the building looks like was put up. It's normal in construction zones. The only abnormality with the Russians doing it is the questionable nature of if they actually finish construction to match the painting.

steinrokkan posted:

The US is a wealthy dad who keeps his parents, wife and kids locked up in a roach infested basement while he lives in a twenty bedroom mansion surrounded by a private golf course tended by unpaid trafficked foreigners.
God bless America!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

DaveKap posted:

A pier next to the America's Cup in San Francisco half-burned down a few months before the first event started. Once reconstruction began, a giant painted-on tarp showing an outline of what the building looks like was put up. It's normal in construction zones. The only abnormality with the Russians doing it is the questionable nature of if they actually finish construction to match the painting.

Those photos were from january 27th.

It was meant to be the cultural center. They didn't finish it in time. This is their solution.

Edit: It was meant to have a park, playgrounds, a tennis court, etc. Of course it has none of that.

Here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/06/sochi-olympics-spectators_n_4737469.html

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 7, 2014

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Spacedad posted:

Guess what! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/06/sochi-olympics-spectators_n_4737469.html

Not a boycott, but all the horrible things surrounding sochi have basically produced an effect identical to a boycott.

Perhaps if Putin wants to turn a place like Sochi into an international tourist mecca, he should start by doing a little introspection as to why people are staying away.

A good start would be to resign, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

Perhaps if Putin wants to turn a place like Sochi into an international tourist mecca, he should start by doing a little introspection as to why people are staying away.

A good start would be to resign, obviously.

If Putin hired me as a consultant, I would literally always give him the best possible advice he could ever receive for anything he has to deal with, which is telling him over and over again "you should resign."

Edit: Another sochi consultant, hard at work.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 7, 2014

• Locked thread