Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They just said "in March" I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

If the HRE takes over all of the map and then is ported into EU4, would you have a massive amount of HRE electors constantly trying to get votes? Everyone in Europe and the middle east and northern africa, all wanting to be emperor!!!

Yup. My Navarra game converted with all of Greece firmly under HRE control, but only some of them became electors. I think Epirus became an elector, but I'm not sure about the others. Not sure what determines who becomes an elector, but no holdings in Greece had actually dejure drifted into the HRE.

Just give me a minute, and I'll grab a screenshot.

EDIT: Here you go:

It actually turned out that Cyprus is the only Greek duchy to be an elector. Those other Greek holdings with elector status? That's Lotharingia. The elector holding in Iberia is also Lotharingia.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 7, 2014

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
So when are we doing our succession game, bros? I'd like to do that before Rajas hits

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
The worst event in the game bar none is the one where a courtier inspires you to randomly become celibate. :emo:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
"Durr... I'm a strong, attractive Emperor barely past puberty who's in love with his wife, a lusty and attractive foreign queen. We have zero kids to pass our combined holdings and obligations on to. Now is the perfect time for me to slice off my dick for all intents and purposes" :downs:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

alcaras posted:

Suggestions on a nice one county start as Norse? I don't want anyone with event troops and I'd like to use character designer to customize my dynasty and founder (still Ironman though).

I don't think you can use a custom ruler if you're playing ironman.

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Good upgrading potential (2 empty slots for castles)

How do you ever get enough money to buy those things? If I'm not going NK, I'm lucky to have enough gold to go hunting every year. If I'm a duke/king/emperor, raising taxes even a bit leads to loads of opposition. I really don't get how to make money in this game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jolan posted:

You can, it just doesn't count for achievements.

Jolan posted:

How do you ever get enough money to buy those things? If I'm not going NK, I'm lucky to have enough gold to go hunting every year. If I'm a duke/king/emperor, raising taxes even a bit leads to loads of opposition. I really don't get how to make money in this game.

Run longer games and bigger empires? Money just kind of piles up when you aren't actively spending it. :shobon:

For a more aggressive approach, get an old king (depressed is even better), imprison all your vassals and banish them. Then die and reap the benefits as your heir. Some of them should have been sitting on a decent nest egg, which now belongs to you.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 7, 2014

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Odd, I seem to remember my custom ruler always defaulting back to the default one as soon as I start the game. And why is depressed good for banishing? Just because he'll die sooner?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jolan posted:

Odd, I seem to remember my custom ruler always defaulting back to the default one as soon as I start the game.

You might be right, I only tried it once and quit as soon as I realized it was going to do that stupid system-hogging autosave every month.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can, it just doesn't count for achievements.
Then... why play ironman in the first place? Outside of achievements, you just need to adjust difficulty settings and not savescum.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Then... why play ironman in the first place? Outside of achievements, you just need to adjust difficulty settings and not savescum.

Maybe they're weak-willed? I ain't judging.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jolan posted:

Odd, I seem to remember my custom ruler always defaulting back to the default one as soon as I start the game. And why is depressed good for banishing? Just because he'll die sooner?

Depressed characters can commit suicide at will. You can arrest all your vassals, banish every single one and then kill yourself, leaving your entire realm and every county in it to your heir to redistribute as you see fit.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Jolan posted:

And why is depressed good for banishing?

Because depressed people have a decision where they kill themselves. So you banish everybody you want, get a massive relations penalty with remaining vassals, then kill yourself. Your heir won't inherit the hate.

e;f;b

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ofaloaf posted:

Sometimes law changes like that were a thing that just kind of happened. Been reading up on the Kingdom of Jerusalem a bit, and it seems that the crown of Jerusalem went from Agnatic to Cognatic or Ag-Cog when Baldwin II one day basically just up and told his court that his eldest daughter, Mélisende, was his heir, and that was that. Likewise, the first kings of Jerusalem had at least a pretense of being elected, but by the 13th century it was flat-out hereditary and nobody pretended otherwise. It just kind of quietly transitioned from one to the other.

Really formalised succession laws are kind of an anachronism until the end of the period anyway.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Reveilled posted:

Depressed characters can commit suicide at will. You can arrest all your vassals, banish every single one and then kill yourself, leaving your entire realm and every county in it to your heir to redistribute as you see fit.

If you banish everybody in your realm then you don't need to kill yourself. A vassal will only hate you if he was ruling at the time of banishing.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
"Crusader Kings II: Kill yourself for optimal results"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

If you banish everybody in your realm then you don't need to kill yourself. A vassal will only hate you if he was ruling at the time of banishing.

It's a little more complicated than that -- tyrant penalties apply to anyone who "witnessed" the tyranny, which can sometimes include the people you want to replace your old vassals.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a little more complicated than that -- tyrant penalties apply to anyone who "witnessed" the tyranny, which can sometimes include the people you want to replace your old vassals.

That's why you always give baronies and invite a bunch of holymen for counties after everything is done :colbert:
And you will have piety for holymen, because every temple holding you give nets you 15 piety.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Reveilled posted:

That's brilliant, I had no idea. Time to put that information to work.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tried out a bit of console commands, just to see what would happen. For some reason I couldn't give myself c_suomi or d_suomi. But I could give myself a county-level title within the HRE for some reason, and I don't know why Suomi didn't work.
Also, the game ending and then pressing Back to Menu crashed my game, both times I tried it (once the game ended when I reformed the Norse religion, and another when I resigned).

Are those to be expected? I'm using CK2+, which I understand could cause some issues.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Serperoth posted:

Tried out a bit of console commands, just to see what would happen. For some reason I couldn't give myself c_suomi or d_suomi. But I could give myself a county-level title within the HRE for some reason, and I don't know why Suomi didn't work.
Also, the game ending and then pressing Back to Menu crashed my game, both times I tried it (once the game ended when I reformed the Norse religion, and another when I resigned).

Are those to be expected? I'm using CK2+, which I understand could cause some issues.

You have to use the "real" names of the provinces to give them out via the console. You cannot use c_dyflin (Norse name) instead of c_dublin. So if the counties have a new "cultural" name it can be hard to find out the real name you have to use in the console.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

You have to use the "real" names of the provinces to give them out via the console. You cannot use c_dyflin (Norse name) instead of c_dublin. So if the counties have a new "cultural" name it can be hard to find out the real name you have to use in the console.

Ah alright, I'll have that in mind. I thought Suomi was Suomi though, it's the way it appears on titles and such.
Game keeps on crashing, even after validating the cache, this time it was when I tried to load my save.

Guess I'll try a new game without CK2+ to see how different stuff is.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Torrannor posted:

Use CW Map Checker! Just load the map info and definitions, right-click the province, and see what the title is set to in the history file.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got any tips for warfare in Finland and the other north-eastern provinces? Attrition is what slays me, the counties can only hold around 1k troops on average, but the enemy can flail around with stacks of 10k no problem. I am the scandinavian emperor if that matters.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Bring enough troops to assault the holdings or stay out. Or get to Military Organisation 4 to cancel the Pagan homeland attrition out. Or convert them to non pagans, but then you may lose your CB.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dongattack posted:

Anyone got any tips for warfare in Finland and the other north-eastern provinces? Attrition is what slays me, the counties can only hold around 1k troops on average, but the enemy can flail around with stacks of 10k no problem. I am the scandinavian emperor if that matters.

It's because they're pagans, homelands of slavic and suomenusko pagans have this huge attrition for people with military organization technology under 4. Your options are a)Get them to convert, b)Postpone wars until you get right tech level or c)just move in army and assault everything, don't siege.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 7, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you convert them? You can only put your "priest" in your own provinces can't you?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dongattack posted:

How do you convert them? You can only put your "priest" in your own provinces can't you?

No, if you use the 'spread religion'(?) option for your priest you'll notice that pagan capitals are green and available for dropping your priest on. After you fail and your priest gets blotted, that capital will be gray for a few years, blocking another attempt.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fintilgin posted:

No, if you use the 'spread religion'(?) option for your priest you'll notice that pagan capitals are green and available for dropping your priest on. After you fail and your priest gets blotted, that capital will be gray for a few years, blocking another attempt.

Christ, every time i think i'm starting to grasp the basics of this game. Thank you!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Dongattack posted:

You can put chaplain into the capital of a unreformed pagan. Of course, they're most likely to just imprison him. It's a good annoying person disposal method though!

If you really want to convert a ruler, look for cynical ones, as they're less likely to imprison. Even then, they still might arrest if your dude converts someone other than the ruler first.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 7, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Don't forget that you need to be of organized religion (reformed pagans, christians, zoroastrians...).
And try to target cynical rulers, not zealous. Later in the game, AI is more likely to accept.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thanks a lot guys. A second question actually, the empire of Scandinavia is under elective rule, should i be trying to keep all the king titles for myself? I notice that they are giving me a unhappiness modifier with my vassals due to elector titles held.

Edit: Huh, i made the game run windowed via the settings.ini in the Paradox folder under Documents, and now the game loads in 10 seconds instead of 2 minutes.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 7, 2014

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jolan posted:

If you have like 3+ dukes, the vast majority of your money is going through a feudal vassal level, and if you have Feudal Taxes set at None you just disappear all that money. Raise Feudal Taxes whenever you have 70+ approval from all your vassals and you'll basically be scot free. This is often only practical once you've gotten a decent Long Reign bonus, but all the usual tricks for upping vassal opinion (Gavelkind/Elective, honorary titles, getting into wars with religious enemies[seriously this can be like +50 to everyone], feasts, not revoking, etc) can counteract the effect of -10 Feudal opinion each on their own for the min tax. You can also reduce your vassal levies - which i highly recommend if running an empire where you can't make up the opinion elsewhere, because it winds up being something "lose 20% of your levies, 5 feudal opinion net, gain 500% income." If you are really swimming in high opinion with some rule with long reign and a bunch of successful holy wars, crank your feudal tax up to Harsh and just swim in money, scrooge-mcduck like. You'll want to bank like 1000 of this money for your heir, since he'll have to bribe a bunch of dudes once he comes to the throne(and maybe cash murder some) and will almost definitely need to drop feudal taxes to not get himself murdered.

You can also create your own captive merchant republic if you aren't on the mediterranean.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dongattack posted:

Thanks a lot guys. A second question actually, the empire of Scandinavia is under elective rule, should i be trying to keep all the king titles for myself? I notice that they are giving me a unhappiness modifier with my vassals due to elector titles held.

You should not. You get a penalty for each elector title after the first two. In an empire, both duchies and kingdoms are elector titles. Since you always want to have at least your capital duchy + 4 Scandinavian Kingdoms = -30 opinion for elector titles held. In an empire you will basically always end up with your capital duchy and capital kingdom, nothing more. Either destroy the other kingdoms or give the titles away.

Finnish kings are normally not very powerful since their kingdom is on the smaller size and the counties are so unbelievable poor, so if you create a Finnish king you should have no problems. If you rule from Denmark then I would destroy one of the other two kingdoms (Norway or Sweden) and live with two vassal kings (Finland + Norway/Sweden), if you rule over Sweden or Norway then I would give away all three kingdoms.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Tulip posted:

If you have like 3+ dukes, the vast majority of your money is going through a feudal vassal level, and if you have Feudal Taxes set at None you just disappear all that money. Raise Feudal Taxes whenever you have 70+ approval from all your vassals and you'll basically be scot free. This is often only practical once you've gotten a decent Long Reign bonus, but all the usual tricks for upping vassal opinion (Gavelkind/Elective, honorary titles, getting into wars with religious enemies[seriously this can be like +50 to everyone], feasts, not revoking, etc) can counteract the effect of -10 Feudal opinion each on their own for the min tax. You can also reduce your vassal levies - which i highly recommend if running an empire where you can't make up the opinion elsewhere, because it winds up being something "lose 20% of your levies, 5 feudal opinion net, gain 500% income." If you are really swimming in high opinion with some rule with long reign and a bunch of successful holy wars, crank your feudal tax up to Harsh and just swim in money, scrooge-mcduck like. You'll want to bank like 1000 of this money for your heir, since he'll have to bribe a bunch of dudes once he comes to the throne(and maybe cash murder some) and will almost definitely need to drop feudal taxes to not get himself murdered.

You can also create your own captive merchant republic if you aren't on the mediterranean.

I'll try to keep all this in mind, thanks.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Disco Infiva posted:

That's why you always give baronies and invite a bunch of holymen for counties after everything is done :colbert:
And you will have piety for holymen, because every temple holding you give nets you 15 piety.

I tend to only take my kingdom beyond the banishment thunderdome when I'm at the point of being able to replace every single duke with a member of my family, so suicide is the only option for keeping the realm together while the transition happens.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jolan posted:

It worked like that when they first added Ironman, but they fixed it in a recent patch so now Ironman works properly with the ruler designer.

The only times I ever have problems with gold is when my realm's falling apart in constant civil wars and stuff. The only things that really cost money are armies (especially mercenaries), holding upgrades, non-plot assassinations, and bribing people, so if your vassals are happy and you're not constantly fighting unfavorable wars or carrying out assassinations, money will tend to pile up on its own, especially if you have a decent demense. "If your vassals are happy" is the important point, though, since people who hate you won't pay their taxes, so make sure to keep an eye on the cheerfulness of the mayors and bishops in your personal demense because they're the ones who actually pay taxes;

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jolan posted:

The more they have as income, the more you get(Quite apart from raising and lowering taxes to get more, raising opinion, etc). Obvious, right?

The AI tends to spend it's money on hunts and feasts and fairs whenever it has the money to. Church men spend on indulgences for Piety if possible, even if they're not actively giving their taxes to the Pope. So you'll have to build in their territories for them where you're able(As well as your own, of course), to raise their income, so they can actually do the rest without intervention, and pay more taxes, and so on. Effectively the worst part is early on where nothing's built and all income is low. You don't especially need to hunt/feast/whatever every year. The money is better spent increasing raw income.

It's notable that AI rulers WILL NOT DO THIS for their direct vassals. The Pope(As a 'for instance') is perfectly willing to build castles and fortresses and so on, and hand them off to people. But will he build markets in there? Never, even though he's capable.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I may have accidentally created a vassal republic. In my current playthrough at the end of my first ruler's life, I started going North Korea on my counts and dukes to make a smooth transition to my second guy. As part of that, I tried farming Barons without fully understanding what I was doing. To ditch my wrong demesne warnings, I gave a city to my second son.

That ruler dies, my new guy comes in and starts doling out titles, including a county to his brother the mayor. Suddenly, I have the Grand City of Leinster on my hands. A generation later, I give the current mayor the duchy of Leinster and boom, vassal republic. Let's see if I can keep the mad ducats flowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone please help me with playing a German count or duke in the HRE. I don't understand how to do anything being under the control of a greater liege. Also are there any Hohenzollern?

• Locked thread