Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
you irl
Jan 22, 2014
NBC won't be showing the opening ceremony until 7:30 PM EST, but deadspin lists a few options for watching it live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Space Disks is totally cancelled. Space Swords is totally Cancelled. Space Luge it totally cancelled, and all other events are pending.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

WastedJoker posted:

Only 400 times so we've not quite reached sochiration point.

Ok well what about competitors in the biathalon shooting dogs has anyone made that joke yet (today)

edit:

abraham linksys posted:

nbc: "jeremy, in your words what went wrong tonight?"

jeremy: "....... :smith:"

this was really sad

you train your whole life and finally get good enough to go to the olympics and when you get there the polonium water burns your face and there are no pillows and drunk contractors steal your beds and your phone gets hijacked and there's not a gay bar in sight, then you fall on your rear end in front of millions and your mom has to watch it happen live

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 7, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Armco posted:

So there was some talk about there being something "dangerous" in the tap water, I wonder what could it be?
Turns out the stuff they gassed Dubrovka Theater with in '02 was just water from Sochi.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ahead of the opening ceremony, my friends at SecureBio have sent me an assessment of the CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear) threat to the Sochi Games. They assess the threat as being (spoilers!)
SUBSTANTIAL (Attack is a strong possibility)

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Brown Moses posted:

Ahead of the opening ceremony, my friends at SecureBio have sent me an assessment of the CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear) threat to the Sochi Games. They assess the threat as being (spoilers!)
SUBSTANTIAL (Attack is a strong possibility)

Are they talking about an upcoming attack or is it just an assessment of what Russia has turned Sochi into because I'm not very sure they aren't the same thing.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
warm up your siberian gulag cookfires, homos, because the opening ceremony is only three hours away!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

SarutosZero posted:

Are they talking about an upcoming attack or is it just an assessment of what Russia has turned Sochi into because I'm not very sure they aren't the same thing.

Mostly it's about the tap water.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Any official word on how long the opening ceremony will be? Google tells me maybe four hours like China and the UKs opening ceremonies.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Does this mean that many of the athletes, tourists, and journalists are going to get some form of rare cancer a few years from now because of the uranium contaminated water? This just keeps getting better.

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

An inside source has just revealed to me that the attack is likely to be a suicide bombing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

C.M. Kruger posted:

S.O.C.H.I.
Shadow of building codes

S.O.C.H.I.
Call of dogeyat

moselle
Nov 18, 2012

Eggn0g posted:

Any official word on how long the opening ceremony will be? Google tells me maybe four hours like China and the UKs opening ceremonies.

4 hours in my UK tv guide http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/csn578/live-winter-olympics--live-winter-olympics-opening-ceremony - "...a spectacular choreographed show signals the official beginning of the XXII Olympic Winter Games".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

C.M. Kruger posted:

S.O.C.H.I.
Shadow of building codes

Fellis posted:

S.O.C.H.I.
Call of dogeyat
S.O.C.H.I.
Clear Sky, Extremely Unclear Water

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Today is going to be an interesting day over in Russialand.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Minesweep posted:

An inside source has just revealed to me that the attack is likely to be a suicide bombing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

Comrade Putin saw this one coming. Got to work real fast on countermeasure. We call it "anti-anti-tank dog tank." Is man on bicycle with gun to shoot dog. Comrade Putin is greatest :ussr:

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

The Guardian posted:

The opening ceremony at Sochi has been masked in secrecy but leaked videos of rehearsals hint at a spectacular, record-setting affair with 80 professional dancers joined by hundreds of volunteers and complex animatronic set pieces. The musical guest list is also under wraps but speculation ranges from opera singer Anna Netrebko to faux-lesbian duo Tatu. Despite the emphasis on modern Russia, some traditional aspects of the performance can be assumed. A processional of 100 she-bears will probably enter the Fisht Olympic Stadium during the ceremony. Russian President Vladimir Putin will rise from beneath the floor on a slow lift, his head bowed, before a spot light illuminates the stage and he steps forward, making the "come at me bro" gesture. Putin is expected to wrestle each bear in turn, with penetration possible. A chorus line of Soviet-era strongmen will demonstrate feats of strength including tearing tarps and bending dogs. Choreographer Daniel Ezralow has described the affair as "years of alcoholism blending seamlessly into 21st century human rights abuse."

Click for more on what to expect at Sochi 2014

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Atlanta 2022. I can't wait.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The Guardian posted:

The opening ceremony at Sochi has been masked in secrecy but leaked videos of rehearsals hint at a spectacular, record-setting affair with 80 professional dancers joined by hundreds of volunteers and complex animatronic set pieces. The musical guest list is also under wraps but speculation ranges from opera singer Anna Netrebko to faux-lesbian duo Tatu. Despite the emphasis on modern Russia, some traditional aspects of the performance can be assumed. A processional of 100 she-bears will probably enter the Fisht Olympic Stadium during the ceremony. Russian President Vladimir Putin will rise from beneath the floor on a slow lift, his head bowed, before a spot light illuminates the stage and he steps forward, making the "come at me bro" gesture. Putin is expected to wrestle each bear in turn, with penetration possible. A chorus line of Soviet-era strongmen will demonstrate feats of strength including tearing tarps and bending dogs. Choreographer Daniel Ezralow has described the affair as "centuries of alcoholism blending seamlessly into 21st century human rights abuse."

Nice!

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
I wouldn't be surprised if Putin orders Sochi to be bulldozed as soon as the games are over.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Jamaican bobsled team lose equipment :ohdear:

They managed to get it back. I'm sure it's an automated error in the airport or whatever, but the idea of losing that much poo poo that clearly has JAMAICA WINTER OLYMPICS TEAM written on the side is p funny.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The Guardian posted:

The opening ceremony at Sochi has been masked in secrecy but leaked videos of rehearsals hint at a spectacular, record-setting affair with 80 professional dancers joined by hundreds of volunteers and complex animatronic set pieces. The musical guest list is also under wraps but speculation ranges from opera singer Anna Netrebko to faux-lesbian duo Tatu. Despite the emphasis on modern Russia, some traditional aspects of the performance can be assumed. A processional of 100 she-bears will probably enter the Fisht Olympic Stadium during the ceremony. Russian President Vladimir Putin will rise from beneath the floor on a slow lift, his head bowed, before a spot light illuminates the stage and he steps forward, making the "come at me bro" gesture. Putin is expected to wrestle each bear in turn, with penetration possible. A chorus line of Soviet-era strongmen will demonstrate feats of strength including tearing tarps and bending dogs. Choreographer Daniel Ezralow has described the affair as "years of alcoholism blending seamlessly into 21st century human rights abuse."

The entire Winter Olympics has been a set-up for Putin to re-enact Rocky IV where Russian wins on live global television.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rambling Robot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Putin orders Sochi to be bulldozed as soon as the games are over.

Costs $60 Billion and Sochi manages to look better afterwards.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

MariusLecter posted:

Costs $60 Billion and Sochi manages to look better afterwards.

hey, it's not like you westerners bulldoze for free?

bulldozing is hard work. lots work need to be done. lots of work is expensive.

many dog mass graves to cover, many hotels need to be removed from map.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"Oh, Sochi? I was there. I remember how bad it was. The water irradiated you if you drank it and was full of chemicals. Building foundations crumbled and critical parts of structures were replaced with tarps. Lots of competitors were injured. Men stumbled through the streets, barely able to stand. It was hell."

"Did they catch the terrorists responsible?"

"What terrorists"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

According to Wikipedia, the average male ejaculate is around 10ml.

Therefore, by my calculations, that makes for a grand total of 1000L of semen to be produced during these games. If we assume a density for semen similar to that of water, that makes a grand total of 1 metric tonne of semen.

And that's not even taking into consideration wanking and blowjobs.

buteruc
Feb 12, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, they get a pillow, a towel, what more could you want?

Do they plan to turn these into regular hotel rooms after the games? So many tiny twin beds.

define "pillow".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RedTeam posted:

I'm sure it's an automated error in the airport or whatever, but the idea of losing that much poo poo that clearly has JAMAICA WINTER OLYMPICS TEAM written on the side is p funny.
"Jamaica Winter Olympics." Is no such thing. Send to security office. Terrorists want to fool us with joke from Cool Runnings.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

According to Wikipedia, the average male ejaculate is around 10ml.

Therefore, by my calculations, that makes for a grand total of 1000L of semen to be produced during these games. If we assume a density for semen similar to that of water, that makes a grand total of 1 metric tonne of semen.

And that's not even taking into consideration wanking and blowjobs.

You've already spent more time figuring out logistics for this Olympics than anyone in Russia has.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SarutosZero posted:

You've already spent more time figuring out logistics for this Olympics than anyone in Russia has.

Only logistics I need is how much of the $51 billion dollar pie I can squirrel away into my piggy bank.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
most of that spunk won't be going into the streets though

unlike the dog poo poo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What's Russia's medicine practice like? I'm sure the athletes bring their own doctor and meds, but tourists and bob cost as don't.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Putin: Your appointment with IOC should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Councilor.

Bach: I take it he was agreeable?

Putin: He didn't really have a choice.

Bach: Has he been bribed?

Putin: Oh yes. Most certainly. When I mentioned we could put him on the priority list for the stadium construction, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.

Bach: These dogs... their numbers are intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain them.

Putin: Why contain them? Let them spill over the stadiums and venues, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end they'll beg us to shoot them.

Bach: I've received reports of armed attacks on shipments. There's not enough pillows to go around, and the journalists are starting to get desperate.

Putin: Of course they're desperate; they can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make rattling their tarps will serve as a warning to the rest.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite tarp in Sochi.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Germstore posted:

Space Disks is totally cancelled. Space Swords is totally Cancelled. Space Luge it totally cancelled, and all other events are pending.

Welcome to the Sochi Olympics, all the oxygen has run out*. And some dog who will not be named accidentally hit self-destruct.

*if we get more oxygen, do not breathe it. There is something dangerous in it.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Olympic opening ceremony leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaFGQjWkmWY

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Greyhawk posted:

Putin: Your appointment with IOC should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Councilor.

Bach: I take it he was agreeable?

Putin: He didn't really have a choice.

Bach: Has he been bribed?

Putin: Oh yes. Most certainly. When I mentioned we could put him on the priority list for the stadium construction, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.

Bach: These dogs... their numbers are intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain them.

Putin: Why contain them? Let them spill over the stadiums and venues, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end they'll beg us to shoot them.

Bach: I've received reports of armed attacks on shipments. There's not enough pillows to go around, and the journalists are starting to get desperate.

Putin: Of course they're desperate; they can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make rattling their tarps will serve as a warning to the rest.

Somehow I was already reading this in their voices before my brain caught up to what it was a reference to

what a shame

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Will The games still happen if something blows up

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Olympic gold in the 100 meter most kissable face ever :omarcomin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011