Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MeaningOfLife posted:

poo poo, was I the only one who actually said "Oh come on!" in the end of last episode when Oliver grabs Sarah for some kissy kissy time?

I did too!

Regy Rusty posted:

OLIVER FOR GOD'S SAKE LEARN SOME SELF CONTROL

It's perfectly in character but it's still dumb as hell for him to do and is going to blow up horribly.

Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lance has to know about Oliver at this point but just doesn't care/ give a gently caress/ whatevs cause he's seen poo poo.

Really amazing quality episode , although seriously you're gonna tell him at the fundraiser? Really? Also, yeah Felicity is kind of petty and weirdly about Oliver.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MeaningOfLife posted:

poo poo, was I the only one who actually said "Oh come on!" in the end of last episode when Oliver grabs Sarah for some kissy kissy time?

Nope, and he's going to regret it eventually. (probably next episode because this is Arrow)

Get some goddamn self control Ollie. :argh:

Also nthing that Lance is the best goddamn character in this show. I love how completely he's wrapped up in Arrow's world and sees how completely involved the Arrow is with him and BOTH of his daughters PLUS Felicity, and still plays dumb and never calls Ollie out. He totally knows. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Taffer posted:

Nope, and he's going to regret it eventually. (probably next episode because this is Arrow)

Get some goddamn self control Ollie. :argh:

That is not going to happen. He will sooner stop shooting people with arrows.

I assume sometime soon (next episode) he will come to Ollie asking for the arrows help, and while Ollie plays dumb he just tells him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They have all this silly sexual tension for Ollie's life, but sometime soon some girl's gonna get a deep Digglin'.

Ollie should be concentrating on figuring out a new catchphrase, instead of sex. :mad:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

Ollie should be concentrating on figuring out a new catchphrase, instead of sex. :mad:

I have a feeling that the list will come back at some point - then people can go back to failin' the city.

Also looks like (from the promo/interviews about the next episode) Oliver is going to show up to the Lance family dinner...with Sara. So it ain't going to take long till he gets to see some consequences

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Lance has to know about Oliver at this point but just doesn't care/ give a gently caress/ whatevs cause he's seen poo poo.

Really amazing quality episode , although seriously you're gonna tell him at the fundraiser? Really? Also, yeah Felicity is kind of petty and weirdly about Oliver.

The way I saw it was that Felicity WAS trying the keep the secret, she's just awful at doing that without looking and acting guilty. Ollie saw it, called bullshit on her 'Nothing' and pressed her.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

BreakAtmo posted:

The way I saw it was that Felicity WAS trying the keep the secret, she's just awful at doing that without looking and acting guilty. Ollie saw it, called bullshit on her 'Nothing' and pressed her.

That's how I saw it too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

I have a feeling that the list will come back at some point - then people can go back to failin' the city.

Also looks like (from the promo/interviews about the next episode) Oliver is going to show up to the Lance family dinner...with Sara. So it ain't going to take long till he gets to see some consequences

I hope the consequence is angry supervillian Laurel. The amount of desire I have to see this is hard to fathom. Almost as much desire as seeing Olicity people squirm. Which...

King of Solomon posted:

:laffo: No it doesn't. It really, really doesn't.

EDIT: I mean poo poo, it's still extremely likely that Sarah's going to die.

Getting them to double down on the crazy and show exactly how unhinged they are about two TV show characters counts as a win for me. :colbert:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Warmachine posted:

I hope the consequence is angry supervillian Laurel. The amount of desire I have to see this is hard to fathom. Almost as much desire as seeing Olicity people squirm. Which...

Getting them to double down on the crazy and show exactly how unhinged they are about two TV show characters counts as a win for me. :colbert:

Yeah dude, people liking the idea of a relationship between two characters with a ton of chemistry is super crazy. Let's show those fuckers!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah dude, people liking the idea of a relationship between two characters with a ton of chemistry is super crazy. Let's show those fuckers!

There are fans of a show who say stuff like "I hape A and B get together, that'd be cool." And then you have Shippers, who are generally legit unhinged, and a bit scary.

See also: Amell's facebook page when the last episode aired.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Error 404 posted:

There are fans of a show who say stuff like "I hape A and B get together, that'd be cool." And then you have Shippers, who are generally legit unhinged, and a bit scary.

See also: Amell's facebook page when the last episode aired.

So kind of like this guy then:

Warmachine posted:

And finally we arrive at the end. Sarah and Oliver putting an arrow in the quiver (:pervert:) does three things to make me super happy. One, it cements the "Green Arrow/Black Canary" relationship. Two, it gives Caity Lotz more screen time in the present. Island Sarah is great and all, but I really want to see more of her on a salmon ladder and beating the poo poo out of bad people with her staff. And three, it torpedoes the gently caress out of that Olicity ship.

It was like a million shippers cried out in terror, and flowed forth a river of delicious tears.
:unsmigghh:

Or is it different cause he's not on tumblr and it's for DC APPROVED CANON COUPLE!!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think it's completely understandable why Moira wanted to keep Thea's real dad a secret, and Ollie could have conceivably forgiven her for it if that's the direction they wanted to go, but I get the direction they went instead as well. His entire relationship with his mother over the course of these two years has been defined by lie after lie after lie after lie after lie; heck, he had to come to terms with her possibly being behind his own shipwreck. And then he spent much of her trial genuinely campaigning for how great of a person his mother truly is and how there will be no more lies between this family from now on...only to end up having to discover more of her lies and secrets second-hand.

I think he's just tired and pissed of having to completely reevaluate his entire outlook on his own mother every other month. The whole crux of her participation in the Undertaking, after all, was supposed to be that she was scared Malcolm might harm her family if she didn't do what he said. And after her affair with him was revealed, she had to qualify that with "Okay yes we boinked, but that was just a one-time mistake!!" Only now it turns out she had his baby as well? Sure, the obvious rationale for this lie is that it's for Thea's own good and that Moira only kept it secret out of fear of Merlyn. But how much of that is going to end up being revealed as yet another lie at some point down the line? And if Ollie has to consider that Moira's fear of Merlyn might be another one of her lies, he has to consider just how honestly coerced she was by Merlyn in the first place.

Obviously Ollie is the last person in the world qualified to judge others for keeping secrets and I hope they really touch on that, but I think him finally getting fed up with her untrustworthiness is pretty understandable.

Klungar posted:

Amell just posted this spoiler-filled video for the episode after the break: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=358228554315183.
Meanwhile, this is awesome.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Error 404 posted:

They have hinted at enough that I think it is pretty harmless to want the two characters to be together, without going to scary shipping territory (like with Supernatural).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

They have hinted at enough that I think it is pretty harmless to want the two characters to be together, without going to scary shipping territory (like with Supernatural).

Isn't most of the insane Supernatural shipping about the two male leads or something?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That play brothers, yes.

Don't gently caress with those shippers. Don't do it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Hollismason posted:

Taffer posted:

Also nthing that Lance is the best goddamn character in this show. I love how completely he's wrapped up in Arrow's world and sees how completely involved the Arrow is with him and BOTH of his daughters PLUS Felicity, and still plays dumb and never calls Ollie out. He totally knows. :allears:

People keep saying this but I really don't think it's the case. I mean, I know there aren't exactly a whole lot of solid rules or any kind of sense of logic when it comes to superhero secret identities, but it makes zero sense for Lance to keep the fact that he knows Ollie's the Arrow a secret. Like, why wouldn't he just come up to Ollie and go "Hey by the way I know you're Arrow, so now can you just call me instead of making me meet on top of random roofs?" What does he gain by not letting Oliver know that he knows? They've been through so much poo poo at this point that it's not like Lance still doesn't trust him.

Maybe they'll play it off by having him acknowledge that he's had a feeling for a while when he finally does find out, but if they're saving it for some scene where Ollie's identity is dramatically revealed to Lance and he just shrugs it off and gives some kind of super smug "Pft, I've known for months" line then it'd be pretty drat goofy, even for this show.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

VDay posted:

if they're saving it for some scene where Ollie's identity is dramatically revealed to Lance and he just shrugs it off and gives some kind of super smug "Pft, I've known for months" line then it'd be pretty drat goofy, even for this show.

If by goofy you mean amazing. :colbert:

I mean, I know the hood is supposed to be like magical "nobody can see me or recognize my voice" thing, but there is way more than that that gives away Ollies identity to Lance.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
He caught on to Sara super fast, and eventually he's gonna make the connection of Sara returning as an assassin to Oliver possibly being a trained fighter as well. And if Sara starts showing up with Oliver everywhere that connection definitely gets stronger.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Taffer posted:

If by goofy you mean amazing. :colbert:

I mean, I know the hood is supposed to be like magical "nobody can see me or recognize my voice" thing, but there is way more than that that gives away Ollies identity to Lance.

Oh I totally agree that he should know it's Ollie, but like I said I just don't really see any reason for him keeping it a secret if that is the case. Maybe it just kinda bugs me because I always found it silly that superheroes almost always decide to keep their identities a secret from those close to them, despite the fact that in most cases it would actually be really useful for them to know and could keep them out of danger.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

VDay posted:

Oh I totally agree that he should know it's Ollie, but like I said I just don't really see any reason for him keeping it a secret if that is the case. Maybe it just kinda bugs me because I always found it silly that superheroes almost always decide to keep their identities a secret from those close to them, despite the fact that in most cases it would actually be really useful for them to know and could keep them out of danger.

On this vein, why doesn't Malcolm reveal that Oliver is the vigilante?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Eddain posted:

On this vein, why doesn't Malcolm reveal that Oliver is the vigilante?

Game recognize game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VDay posted:

In comics, generally when good guys figure out someone's secret identity they don't say anything out of respect for their friend.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I swear they write this show just trying to get the same reaction from me again and again...

Dead Snoopy fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 7, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Party Plane Jones posted:

Isn't most of the insane Supernatural shipping about the two male leads or something?

Nope, the biggest Supernatural ship is between one of the brothers and another main character who is not his brother. They are still two straight characters but that has not stopped the shippers.

And I don't know why any shippers would be threatened by Ollie having sex with Sarah after a highly emotional situation. They are not marrying, he had a similarly meaningless one-night-stand with the co-head of his company, and look where she ended up! Completely forgotten by the show! Better hope Felicity never sleeps with Oliver :ohdear:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Eddain posted:

He caught on to Sara super fast, and eventually he's gonna make the connection of Sara returning as an assassin to Oliver possibly being a trained fighter as well. And if Sara starts showing up with Oliver everywhere that connection definitely gets stronger.

Detective Lance has always known it was Oliver. The vigilante disappeared when Oliver went away after the earthquake, and then reappeared when Oliver returned AND just so happens to work with Oliver Queen's admin assistant AND has a relationship with his daughter, who went missing while on a trip with Oliver. The Diggle stunt in season one may have thrown him off for a while, but by the time he had reason to be suspicious again, he had come to recognize "The Hood" as a necessary evil.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Nope, the biggest Supernatural ship is between one of the brothers and another main character who is not his brother. They are still two straight characters but that has not stopped the shippers.

And I don't know why any shippers would be threatened by Ollie having sex with Sarah after a highly emotional situation. They are not marrying, he had a similarly meaningless one-night-stand with the co-head of his company, and look where she ended up! Completely forgotten by the show! Better hope Felicity never sleeps with Oliver :ohdear:

Twilight shippers sent death threats to Emilie De Ravin for being the love interest to Robert Pattinson in a different movie.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Arrow doesn't exactly have the best disguise, if you are around him as much as Lance is, you can probably guess who he is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Most Batman comics have hinted that Gordon knowns full well who Batman is and he just does not tell since he considers him a friend/necessary evil. That was a major part of Year One and he does not reveal it out of respect. They also did they same thing with Perry White/Superman, that Perry White is an amazing reporter and there is no way that he would not be able to figure it out.

Also one of the biggest batshit insane moments of Supernatural fandom was when at a con the fans tried to get one of the actors girlfriends/wives kicked out by reporting to security that they were whores.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 7, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

bobkatt013 posted:

Most Batman comics have hinted that Gorden knowns full well who Batman is and he just does not tell since he considers him a friend/necessary evil. That was a major part of Year One and he does not reveal it out of respect. They also did they same thing with Perry White/Superman, that Perry White is an amazing reporter and there is no way that he would not be able to figure it out.

Also one of the biggest batshit insane moments of Supernatural fandom was when at a con the fans tried to get one of the actors girlfriends/wives kicked out by reporting to security that they were whores.

They're both married to women who they met appearing on the show, if I remember right. Including Katie Cassidy's replacement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ackles' wife hasn't been on the show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The idea with Lance and Arrow(and Gordon and Batman) is that Lance knows on one level that Arrow is necessary, but at the same time he's a cop. So having a totally open relationship with Ollie/Arrow and not holding him accountable for his illegal actions would be over the line for him. So he will play along, but never allow his "suspicions" to be 100% confirmed because that would mean he'd have to do something about it.

That's why Gordon gets mud on his glasses and "can't see Batman". If he admitted to actually seeing him he'd be forced to do his duty and arrest him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

In comics, generally when good guys figure out someone's secret identity they don't say anything out of respect for their friend.
And villains don't do it so they have some sort of ultimate trump card to pull in a worst case scenario.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

And villains don't do it so they have some sort of ultimate trump card to pull in a worst case scenario.

That can bite them in the rear end when some of their underlings find out and decide to get a little stabby. Just got to make sure that you kill him as it could end with your death and a mother killing their own kid.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 7, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's funny; I was trying to figure what you're referencing and came up with at least three different potential instances from DC alone.

Ahh, DC Comics. :eng99:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

It's funny; I was trying to figure what you're referencing and came up with at least three different potential instances from DC alone.

Ahh, DC Comics. :eng99:

I was talking about Daredevil.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Daredevil is best used as an example of "anything his dick touches will literally die within a year". Matt Murdock's romantic life is just a carnival of sorrow, with life continuously kicking him straight in the balls.

I've actually enjoyed the way Arrow has handled the romantic relationships. The show doesn't bluntly tell us how mentally damaged Oliver is, but there's more than enough evidence than he's created enough walls to give Bruce Wayne a run for his money.

There's probably no one in Oliver's life he trusts more than Diggle - and he can't even tell him everything (or even most) of what happened to him on the island.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Daredevil is best used as an example of "anything his dick touches will literally die within a year". Matt Murdock's romantic life is just a carnival of sorrow, with life continuously kicking him straight in the balls.

Black Cat is still alive.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rhyno posted:

Black Cat is still alive.

She has 8 extra, she's cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

MeaningOfLife posted:

No, I almost turned the episode off right then after rolling my eyes.

Ollie is just this horny guy, you know?

• Locked thread